School Fees on 457 Visa

Guest GoodersGang

Guest GoodersGang

Hi all,

Its only taken me two weeks to learn how to post a thread Duh!!!:SLEEP:

First can I say what a pleasure it is to see all your opinions on the journey we are all on. We are due to leave for Brisbane (if we ever sell the house) on a 457 sponsored visa and my dilemma is I have just been told I will have to pay for all schooling for my kids (ages 5,7 &9). :no:This seems very harsh as I will be paying tax at the same rate as everyone else. Does anybody know how much we can expect to pay? Any advice would be very welcome

Thanks,

Steve

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Sheerluck

Steve,

I've been hunting for the answer to the same question. A ferret around the Queensland Edcuation website brought up the following info State education and financial assistance which only half answered my question in as much as it does confirm that only citizens and PR visa holders are eligible for the free schooling in state schools.

It doesn't mention anywhere how much it'll cost for temp visa holders though. It's on my list of things to find out when I get there next week.

Where in Brissie are you headed?

Dave

Guest GoodersGang

Hi Dave

Not sure it changes all the time. Im out there next month for a reccie. What about you? Where do you plan to stay?

My friend in sydney heads a relocation company he said I can expect to pay around $10000 a year per child. As I have 3 this seems astronomical. If we put them in catholic school this would dramatically decrease.

I am still in shock at the thought of paying all that money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Steve

Guest Sheerluck

Steve,

We're heading for Cleveland/Ormiston/Birkdale or thereabouts, we were there for our reccie in May/June and they were the areas we liked most.

I would imagine that the $10000 per child that your friend in Sydney has quoted may well be valid for NSW, but may be a little over the top for QLD. If you have a nosey around the websites of some of the local independant schools, such as Ormiston College QLD Australia - http://www.ormiston.qld.edu.au you'll see that the fees for them (and Ormiston College is apparently a GOOD school!) are about half what your friend has quoted. So $15300 is better than $30000 but still a shock!

I have had a whisper in my ear that whilst you don't quite get free places in state schools, you only have to pay a contribution which was a few hundred dollars rather than thousands. But I can't find anyone or anything to confirm that!

I'm headed out there on Thursday next week, so if I find any answers I'll post them here.

Dave

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but 457 is a temporary visa so full international fees :(

We are assisting a couple of Hungarian families re. QLD schools and are in contact almost daily with QLD International, we know who the international admissions officers are :)

If you want help let us know, no charge and maybe quicker as we are an accredited agent with QLD Schools.

Fees Program Fees

The Catholic system could be a bit cheaper, could find out if needed.

Cheers Andrew

Guest Sheerluck

Andrew,

From what I can see, the site that you have pointed out refers specifically to visitor style visa holders (allowed up to 12 weeks only) and children of student visa holders only, and I'm neither of those. Even if it is the case that the $10000 fee would apply, I'd stay stuff it and go for an independant school!

Having browsed the Queensland Gov education website for the last couple of hours I can only find information relating temporary visas related to "English as a Second Language" speakers. So, if you could find a definitive answer for me it would be much appreciated, just to put my mind at rest.

Dave

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

I did a bit of research into this question a few months ago on behalf of a friend. I wouldn't say I got it 100% right by any means, but the main gist seemed to be as follows:

Parents who have PR or Citizenship seem to be able to take advantage of the State Schools anywhere in Oz. The Parents are expected to pay for things llike textbooks which a child might need (and possibly also stationery) but the schools do all they can to keep these costs down.

In some States (eg South Australia) 457 visa-holders are treated in exactly the same way as PRs & Citizens as far as access to State run schools is concerned. Other states insist that the child of a 457 visa holder has to be treated as an International Student and the rates for international students tend to be higher than they would be for the home-grown variety, very possibly significantly so.

In the private sector, the first question is always whether one is considering boarding school fees or fees for day-pupils. (I remember a lady in WA telling me that her children were attending the School of the Air but that when they reached 11, they would really need to go to boarding schools. The family lived in (and were running) a roadhouse that was at least 100 miles from a town. The mother was worried that they would not be able to afford boarding schools for the children.)

My two nephews (aged 13 & 10) attend a private school in Perth but it is a Catholic School. I don't think they have any boarders and my nephews are day-boys. My mother (the boys' granny) said that the fees are 300 per term per child, but she didn't say whether that was AUD or sterling - it could be sterling.

Apparently, though, with the Catholic schools you have to put the child's name down for the school some years in advance and then it will hinge on the child passing the school's entrance exam at 11 or 12. Plus I am told that Roman Catholic children get priority. My sister lives South of the River in Perth, though. Practice may be different elsewhere.

I know this is a pitifully weak answer but the general gist is roughly right, I think, and we defo did discover that only some of the States treat the children of 457 visa holders differently from the others.

I think the place to start, for 457 visa holdrs, is probably with the Dept of Education in the relevant State.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest GoodersGang

Hi all

Thanks for all the input. Wow I seem to be going around in circles searching this. Looks like I am of to see the local catholic priest this weekend then. Free biscuit and a swig of vino lol!!!!!!! I never have had any problem paying my way in life, but if I dont get free healthcare or schooling for the kids why am I(and others on 457 visas) going to be paying tax????????

Regards,

Steve

Guest Sheerluck

Steve,

It certainly seems like us 457 holders get the rough end of the stick doesn't it! Not exempt from Medicare levy, and have to pay huge school fees! And Australia want to attract workers???

Unfortunately the biccie and wine party is definitely out for me - as a life long aetheist any priest worth his salt will have thunderbolts raining down on me the instant I walk through the door, so it's either pay through the nose for State schools or a little less for a non-denominational independant.

Gill,

Thanks for the reply, it does confirm what I've found so far, but trying to find QLD specific info is proving to be very frustrating. I think I've browsed every page of the Education Queensland site trying to find the right answer. I feel a midnight phone call coming on, providing I can stay awake long enough, as the suspense is killing me.

Dave

Guest GoodersGang

Yep I agree I have the number and think we should bombard em from all angles. lol!!!!!!!!!!

My friend heads a moving and relocation company in Sydney so hes going to give me some pointers. There seems to be a lot of tax loopholes for 457 ers to compensate for the schooling/healthcare problem. I will keep you posted.

Steve

Guest Gollywobbler

Gill,

Thanks for the reply, it does confirm what I've found so far, but trying to find QLD specific info is proving to be very frustrating. I think I've browsed every page of the Education Queensland site trying to find the right answer. I feel a midnight phone call coming on, providing I can stay awake long enough, as the suspense is killing me.

Dave

Hi Dave

I've just had a look at the QLD Edu website. Please see this link:

Visa Information

It looks like they expect you to e-mail them in order to obtain visa-specific info.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Sheerluck

Gill,

So there it was in the second from bottom paragraph. I must admit that I found that page, but I must have "man-read" it and missed the bit that I was actually looking for.

Many thanks for that, at least the move looks a lot less expensive than it did an hour or two ago!

Steve,

You might have to cancel your party with the Bishop. Have a look at the link Gill's provided and email away!

Regards

Dave

Guest Gollywobbler

Steve, Dave

I think you should both e-mail them before we draw any conclusions. The buzz-phrase for the 457 visa is something like "long stay business entry visa" or similar. The "Business skills" visa is the subclass 163 one.

I don't like it when I do not see the exact catchwords I am looking for. I'm no expert on Australian visas but I am a solicitor in England & Wales, therefore I would urge both caution and absolute precision at this stage.

I would suggest that BOTH of you e-mail them (because you might get differing replies.) If you want to do the "best of three", please let me know and I will e-mail them too.

Let us just wait and see how this one pans out, suggest......

Best wishes

Gill

Guest GoodersGang

Hi Gill/Dave

Thanks for that all done!!! forget the wine crack open the bubbly haha!!!!!!!! Knew it couldnt be right theres no way the aussies would rip off the ordinary working man, thats our govts job OOPPS!!!

Thanks again

Steve

Guest Sheerluck

Gill,

Very precisely worded email fired off. I copied the visa name from the DIAC website just to be ABSOLUTELY sure. Will post as soon as I get a reply, though here's hoping for two consistent replies at least. After that, I'll make mine a pint.

Of scotch.

Guest Sheerluck

OK,

Email waiting this morning from a very nice lady from Education Queensland International, and the answer was:

"On a visa subclass 457 there are no international student fees you are required to pay for your children, unless they require special needs assistance. You can make arrangements for their education directly with the school."

So that's it. Seemingly if you have a 457, it's free unless you have extra requirements such as Special Needs or English as Second Language.

Steve, Hope you get the same response.

Gill, thanks again for your pointers.

No scotch at this time of the day, but might tip some vodka on my cornflakes.:v_SPIN:

Guest GoodersGang

Hi Dave/Gill

Got the same response this morning. Nice start to the day. Just need to sell the house !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your help

Steve

OK,

Email waiting this morning from a very nice lady from Education Queensland International, and the answer was:

"On a visa subclass 457 there are no international student fees you are required to pay for your children, unless they require special needs assistance. You can make arrangements for their education directly with the school."

So that's it. Seemingly if you have a 457, it's free unless you have extra requirements such as Special Needs or English as Second Language.

Steve, Hope you get the same response.

Gill, thanks again for your pointers.

No scotch at this time of the day, but might tip some vodka on my cornflakes.:v_SPIN:

Hi Ya,

That is correct they told me that there are no fees in Queensland, however every state is different and I know people in NSW that are paying fees. As for Medicare we went and registered we get the same cover as a visitor would here ie, emergancy cover etc you pay te see docs and claim back so much of it and we dont have to pay anything to medicare at all. Of course they advise you to take out extra cover etc privately if you wish to, but as a temp visitor the UK and Aus have a healthcare agreement I believe. One thing here is that you have to pay for all child medication. If you find a bulk billing doctor an you shouldnt be out of pocket for the doctors visit either.

Hope this helps.

Em x

Guest Gollywobbler

hH Em

You are quite right about the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement between the UK and Oz for "visitors." It provides "essential" medical treatment. It is not confined to emergencies only.

Let us say that Bloggs has high blood pressure. His GP in the UK will not give him a year's supply of the drugs with no monitoring envisaged, so he is in the hands of Ozziedoc when he runs out of ills but it is esential for him to get a repeat scrip from someone.

Blogg's wife becomes pregnant. Obviously she will need medical attention for some months. The RHCA covers this as well.

Cheers

Gill

• 5 months later...
Guest janet tyrer

Hi

My name is Janet and i,m moving to NSW on the 2nd april with a subclass 457 visa. Only found out yesterday the cost of schools for my 2 girls $4,500 each i find this very unreasonable as i have only just found this out. it puts a real damper on us coming out. do youknow if i could applyt for a permanent visa whilst out their because the only way out of this is me teaching my girls at home until i can get as permenant visa can anyone help please

Hi

My name is Janet and i,m moving to NSW on the 2nd april with a subclass 457 visa. Only found out yesterday the cost of schools for my 2 girls $4,500 each i find this very unreasonable as i have only just found this out. it puts a real damper on us coming out. do youknow if i could applyt for a permanent visa whilst out their because the only way out of this is me teaching my girls at home until i can get as permenant visa can anyone help please

You may be able to get away with a bit cheaper. I think the Catholic system fees are generally a bit less than that and with a 457 the Catholic system will charge you the local fees (around the $3kpa level I think). The NSW state system rate for 457 holders is actually less than their international fees so you do get a discount. With a temporary sponsored visa the government believes that the sponsor will cover all costs, including, in some states, the cost of education of dependents.

Guest The McT's

goodersgang,

we are on a 457 in NSW since jan this year, we ARE paying full NSW fees, I can't vouch that its identical in QLD but pm me if you want details of costs etc and how we negotiated payment in installments.

McT's

Guest janet tyrer

hi thanks for the information i,m just wondering you know if privatre school fees are cheaper than public schools.:arghh:

Archived