Australians moving back to Australia after a couple of decades?

Guest loop

What do you do for a living Maryrose?

Patriotism is good, but nationalism is taking it a bit far. I had hoped they would have gotten over the pommie bashing by now. I have had one instance of Aussie bashing, but I put that to bed pretty quickly.

They have started doing home opens over in the UK. But some people have yet to understand that in order to sell your house you have to let people see it.

It's making me homesick all these Aussies going home.

I did not realize that 'patriotism' was a bad word? 'To love or defend one's country sound like noble sentiments to me.

Real estate agents have always been more than enthusiastic in promoting the buying and selling of property but then again Aussies LOVE their homes. Judging by the numbers of estate agents in the UK, it seems equally as popular there. The only differences I noticed in Britain was that selling by auction did not seem as popular and neither are 'open homes.'

Perhaps if more Britons HAD done more 'stopping and questioning' whether Britain was good, the GFC might not have hit so hard there. How many of the big four Aussie banks had to be propped up by the Aussie Government?

I feel your pain Kirra!

We originally lived in Sydney for 10 years and became citizens there before going back to the UK. We came back to Oz but this time to Brisbane last November after 14 years in the UK and despite the job hunting, depleted funds, living on one wage, kids up and down, and having absolutely no friends, I wouldn't change it for the world.

The job things frustrating though, 23 job applications later and still no joy. Things have def changed on that front with priorities being around tertiary qualifications and not actual experience as it was when we left. Have even applied for prior learning recognition to have that just bit stronger application - guess it's just a waiting game!

Good luck job hunting!

hi, i have moved back after nearly 10 years in the UK, slotted right back in, makes me wonder why oh why did i stay so long in england (though I was happy there at the time). One interesting thing a couple of people have mentioned, why have people had problems with medicare my medicare is fine, havent had to re-register for it or anything, still works.. been to the doctor with it since i have been back.

I am still thinking over this private insurance business. I thought I had a year from when I got back but not sure what i need to do to prove that my medicare was never suspended, have to look into it :). It does not seem so bad to me, if you put off getting it for 10 years, then surely the 10 years of saved premiers money goes a long way to canelling out a 20% tax on the Private insurance.

The ageist nature in OZ will see to that.

Are you saying that I am OLD!? I did wonder/hope that I might get a job if the employer operated some kind of quota system - you know, certain numbers of women, gays, non-whites, and, hopefully, olds, but it hasn't worked out that way.

What is it like in the UK? Do you reckon I would get a job easier there?

Love this thread. My hubby is from Sydney but left there in '91 and wound up in the UK. We are now planning to go to Oz, with our toddler daughter who was born here in Northern Ireland. He can't wait to go back! We got married in Australia in 2006, whilst we were travelling around. He's not nervous at all about going home, although I've convinced him it's Melbourne we're going to and not Sydney - he will just have to learn to live with 'the Mexicans'!!!!!

As for the post on pommie-bashing, I get that about the cricket all the time!!! I was surprised to read this though as I never experienced anything like that when I was in Oz in 2006. I think honestly if you have a good work ethic (as the Aussies have), have a good sense of humour (as the Aussies have) and can give as good as you get (like the Aussies do), I think people would generally slot in just fine!

I'm another aussie trying to get home. Been in UK ( greater manchester /yorkshire) for 14 years and have married and now have two children - Hubby got his visa just over a year ago and validated it last May. The only thing stopping us now is waiting for our house to sell - so incredibly frustrating when the thing that is stopping you is beyond your control. I must admit I have been worried about the cost of living in Sydney - we have a good comfortable life here and a bit scared to go back as a lot has changed in those 14 years. I did a comparable shop when I was last over there and was pleasantly surprised that it only cost about £10 dearer than my shop here and with the wages being higher we should hopefully come out even or better off. I too like some of the other posters kept my medicare card current and my Driving Licence ( when I switched it over to a UK licence was told my australian one would be cancelled and I had to send it in with my app - however a couple of years ago I received a renewal notice for my aussie licence so someone messed up somewhere :) ) I also kept bank accounts etc to try and make it easier when we returned. My biggest worry is trying to figure out what I want to do when return home, been in the same career for almost 20 years ( since I left school) and kind of feel like its time for a change...who knows maybe hubby can get a massive paying job and I can become a lady of leisure :)

Ren Ren - know what you mean re the career thing. My aussie OH is in the same boat, he's been in facilities management in the UK for over 16 years and I'd like him now to coach youth cricket which he does as a hobby but he aint' getting any younger hahahahahaha.

Am hoping that I can get a full time job in Melbourne, and he can perhaps go part time. Hard isn't it?!

Good to know that the shopping wasn't that much more expensive. The quality however is so much better anyway, so you get what you pay for. When you think about it, I would expect the majority of aussie food is 'organic' anyway cos the farming is always done to higher standards than in the UK, etc.

Good luck with your final move and let's hope you find someone to buy your house! We are just about to put ours on the market and about to begin the visa process - oh the joys!

I can't wait to get down under though! Gagging I think is the word LOL .......

Hello! I'm also an Aussie about to head back to Sydney after 11yrs with British hubby and two small children in tow... All very nervous about my impending return, it feels like jumping off a financial cliff given that we have things pretty good here in the UK. Have spousal visa sorted, now just tackling the alarmingly large list of 'stuff' that has to happen before we can get on a plane. Looks like we can't really afford to live where most of my pals are (Manly area) without serious compromise on type of house we currently enjoy so it could well be the Sutherland Shire (God's Country!) for us.

Good luck to everyone making the move!

• 7 years later...
15 hours ago, Undecided99 said:

I love this kind of topic and wonder if anyone has comments now several years later, as am contemplating the same return after 20 years in the UK! How did people find the adjustment after so many years? 

We were only away for nearly 9 years and it was like we had never been away. It  hasn't been hard to adjust and my feelings about the place were just as they were before.

• Like 1

I returned to Sydney after 17 years in London, with Aussie hubby and 5 and 2 year old in tow. It’s been a great move for us. Our London flat sold at a good price and enabled us to buy a house near the beach and city in Sydney. The lifestyle is amazing and we have found a very British group of friends also with kids at the same school. We immersed ourselves in the school community and have kept busy; my husband is now an avid surfer. I miss my Uk friends dearly but I chat to them often and have come to terms with the idea that you can never replace people from your 20s and 30s - such an important time where friends are like family.

• Like 3

Evening all…

Returned to Melbourne after 20 years in the UK.  I married whilst there so came back as a family with our two kids.

things didn’t go to plan as I loved it and slotted straight back in, the kids (11 and 7) loved it but after 2 years my wife wanted to go back to North Wales.  I couldn’t do it and the next three years were spent in court with a Hague convention hearing in London to get my children back after she did a runner with them and a further two years court time in Australia as the fight to keep them here continued.

Long story short, I am now a full time single dad of two and loving it.

Work full time in a job I love, live on the beautiful Mornington peninsula and both children are doing great in school and University.

My ex moved back to her small village in Nth Wales which is a shame for the children but….life goes on.

Australia is far from perfect and is expensive and living in Victoria as I do it is run by fools but hey….isn’t everywhere.

The lifestyle is the kicker for me.  If outdoors and easy going is an attractive option then you can’t go wrong.

Good luck to you all and nothing ventured….nothing gained.

Maybe avoid Victoria (also now known as the lockdown state) for while if you do come over 😆

• Like 3

Thanks everyone for sharing. One of the main drivers for thinking of returning after 20 years is my elderly parents (81 and 78). It's tough as they don't want that to be the main driver,  but with no other siblings in Oz, I do feel a lot of guilt about the distance (especially with covid) and even if the decision is not the best for my (Aussie) husband and own kids (who are 12 and 14 and very settled here) I'm not sure I can put up with the guilt of not being able to do more for elderly parents so far away. it's very tricky. I'm hoping everyone will settle in ok...

• Like 1