Pre Paid Internet Dongles

MazPaul

Hi just looking for some advice and info on getting pre paid internet dongle once we land in Melbourne. Also if we are just checking emails and looking at housing what sort of data usage will that use up. I have seen them with 3gb on them is that easily used up just browsing.:biggrin:

Hi just looking for some advice and info on getting pre paid internet dongle once we land in Melbourne. Also if we are just checking emails and looking at housing what sort of data usage will that use up. I have seen them with 3gb on them is that easily used up just browsing.:biggrin:

Hi Mate,

When we came to OZ 5 months ago, we got the Optus USB Modem which is this one here http://www.optus.com.au/store/prepaidwirelessbroadband/modems

I paid for the $79 one. We really used it a LOT for browsing and email and I still got 1G left, so I have to say I am happy with it.

Not the best reception as they say Telstra has stronger, but I never really had a problem. Also, you can check for 3G reception strength in the area you'll be, so make sure you check first http://www2.optus.com.au/ and http://www.optus.com.au/store/phone/e173_postpaidmodem

Cheers

Was that a one off fee for say 4gb or was it on a 12 month deal.I was looking for one to use until we got our rental sorted then hopefully get broadband.

Sorry, I gave you the wrong link mate :)

Here it is http://www.optus.com.au/store/prepaidwirelessbroadband/modems

Its a one off payment of $49 (Includes up to 1GB^ data valid for 30 days) and $79 (Includes up to 4GB^ data valid for 3 months but mine is still working after 5 months!)

In your case, ADSL usually take around 2 weeks to install so the $49 would be ideal.

Cheers

B!K3R

Guest siamsusie

I am using Telstra Dongle Bigpond Ultimate which I have just got.. costs $49 and is much superior in my opinion to other dongles I have used.

This is in Tasmania.

Susie x

I am using Telstra Dongle Bigpond Ultimate which I have just got.. costs $49 and is much superior in my opinion to other dongles I have used.

This is in Tasmania.

Susie x

Wow, $49! Did they reduce the price? I agree, I would prefer telstra too but 5 months ago it was around $120 for the 4G one.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Cheers

B!K3R

Guest siamsusie

Hi Biker,

This is for 12gig plan... It is new out for us, and apparently it will go up to $69, this was on offer, which we have just received this week.

:hug: good to see you Biker xx

Edited $49 is for 12 months... They have given it to us for 10 days for trial basis and so far I have been impressed.

Guest siamsusie
You dont have a link do you to the telstar one you bought do you.

If you contact them (it is on contract though) and mention the Bigpond Ultimate, they might do a special deal for you as well.

Hi Biker,

This is for 12gig plan... It is new out for us, and apparently it will go up to $69, this was on offer, which we have just received this week.

:hug: good to see you Biker xx

Edited $49 is for 12 months... They have given it to us for 10 for trial basis and so far I have been impressed.

Good to see you too, as always :hug:

$49 per month or just a one off payment for 1 whole year?

That sounds really cheap!

Cheers

B!K3R

Guest siamsusie

Yes Biker $49 a month for one year which will then rise to $69 per month after that year.

Susie xx

Yes Biker $49 a month for one year which will then rise to $69 per month after that year.

Susie xx

Oh, I thought so :wink:

See, he just wants to some internet to browse etc until he gets ADSL at home.

The one I told him about is a one off payment of $49 or $79.

Cheers

B!K3R

Guest famousfive

We have Dodo,it was $79 one off to buy and included 5G,not sure if it is the same price still.The service is very good.We live in regional NSW and have used it in other cities with good quality and speed too,actually it has never cut out or slowed even in heavy storms etc...when we only use it to browse the internet[for hours on end],emails etc 1G lasts about 2wks,different story when kids use it for games though.

I have proper internet but on my Iphone which is prepay, I can connnect to the lap top and it does 'internet teathering' only a little slower, 500 megs is my allowance and I listen to pommy radio(LBC mainly) on it, check emails, and stuff and its hardley dented the overall allowance.

This is probably better than a 'dongle' because with the iphone, you just pay the one fee.

Telstra, waste of space, if you ever have a problem you will be trying to resolve it for at least the next 5 months.

Optus, I lose internet connection sometimes.

Vodafone, which I use for my phone is good but sometimes i cant make a call.

I have proper internet but on my Iphone which is prepay, I can connnect to the lap top and it does 'internet teathering' only a little slower, 500 megs is my allowance and I listen to pommy radio(LBC mainly) on it, check emails, and stuff and its hardley dented the overall allowance.

This is probably better than a 'dongle' because with the iphone, you just pay the one fee.

Telstra, waste of space, if you ever have a problem you will be trying to resolve it for at least the next 5 months.

Optus, I lose internet connection sometimes.

Vodafone, which I use for my phone is good but sometimes i cant make a call.

Exenger- How much on average do you pre-pay each month?

Also are you tied into a contract?

Thanks

on prepay which is vodafone I pay just $29 to reload, this lasts about 28days, and gives 150 worth of calls, $350 to other vodafone users, free facebook, 500meg data

I could have a contract and pay about the same.

I have a horror story about telstra that would take me all night to type. They are sh it, bad service just a nightmare, unfotunatly if you want a landline you will have only two choices, optus, not as bad and I us them for fr my landline and internet.

Guest Irmaal

Hi ,

After researching many options we decided to go with mobile broadband from Vodafone. The best option is their Mont-to Month plan for $39 per month with 10GB data. The speed is very great, Skype and Youtube are going with no problems and 10 GB is actualy very hard to use per month. In order to use 10GB you must Skype with your friends and family everyday for at least an hour, not to mention simple browsing.

Last month we ended up only with 2,5GB used-the main usage was browsing for job sites etc at least 4 hours per day and we had three calls to home for about an hour each.

The acctual bill is $44 as they add GST on top.

If you need just browsing and looking for houses-3-4 GB should be more than enough. They are now giving free modem and the cost for this is $29

http://shop.vodafone.com.au/all-broadbands

And no contracts-you can stop this plan or change to another when you want.

CHEERS

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Are the prices quoted for the dongle aswell as the sim card/credit?

I hace a Huawei usb modem. Would it work in Oz with Telstra etc?

Thanks

Wow, $49! Did they reduce the price? I agree, I would prefer telstra too but 5 months ago it was around $120 for the 4G one.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Cheers

B!K3R

on prepay which is vodafone I pay just $29 to reload, this lasts about 28days, and gives 150 worth of calls, $350 to other vodafone users, free facebook, 500meg data

QUOTE]

We also have a Vodaphone dongle $29 recharge every now and again much cheaper for us than the Telstra one... we were putting $70 every 3 weeks on that one!! I didn't know Facebook was free on Vodaphone - told the kids they can't look at other peoples pics too!!:biglaugh:

We got a 3G one when we arrived here in Sept 08!Very disappointed with it!Very expensive,and basically a major rip off!Dont do dongles ever sinceI took great delight in lashing the piece of crrap into the bin as soon as i got sorted with Adam Internet.They'll soon be charging yer by the Kb's used if they can get away with it!:wacko:

Guest Charlie Big Potatos

Just a warning to everyone to check the coverage of the carrier before purchasing a dongle, you might get the all singing all dancing super light speed dingle dongle but if the signal is week or non existent in your area it's about as good as an ashtray on a motorbike.

I put in a thread quite a while ago about free internet (Wi-Fi) from places like Mcdonalds like we have in the UK, I got exactly 1 answer, but the answer while very short was positive, there are loads of Mcdonalds in Australia, and while its not as convenient, its free.

Archived