British/Aussie/Irish/American????

2tigers

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Top answer mate I echo your words except I'm from godsown not Liverpool will get citiZenship but not change my view

Alrite yer big galoot:wink:,mentioned you yesterday on susies WISH THEY WERE HERE thread,hows the cow btw??

Well I consider myself an Australian wannabe...how about that one :biglaugh:.

I would class myself as English as born and brought up here (can't say I am proud however) I do have Irish and Scottish in me but as I wasn't born or ever lived in either so I class myself as English (Not British!!) I always will be English as that's where I will always be from. However, one day when I (hopefully) become a ozzie citizen, I will support oz in sports etc and my loyatly will be with them.

If my children are born there I would class them as Australian as they would be born and brought up there, just like I was born and brought up in England. Then again perhaps ozzies would class them as English as their parents are, afterall in England a lot of people class people brought up here with parents from India or China as Chinese or Indian. I would perhaps class them as British which friends I have like that do too, but I would class myself as English and not British.:goofy:

I think its a very grey area and there is no right or wrong. Lets face it, we are all so mixed we should probably just say we are human and leave it at that!!

Guest jo&tony&kids

Totally agree, hubby is ozzie and lived in UK for over 10 years, never would he called himself British and always follow Oz in sport, England second. Kids are UK born and always call themselves English. My Dad is from Holland and always called that home and said he was Dutch regardless that he lived in the UK for over 30 years.

Guest Mallam

When I get to Australia and if I decide to live the rest of my years there I will always be English and proud of it, if i was fortunate enough to have a child while I was living in Oz I would have the child born back in blighty if at all possible and the wife was happy with it.

I would always support England over Austraila in any sport but would support oz against any other Country.

Guest Mallam
Totally agree, hubby is ozzie and lived in UK for over 10 years, never would he called himself British and always follow Oz in sport, England second. Kids are UK born and always call themselves English. My Dad is from Holland and always called that home and said he was Dutch regardless that he lived in the UK for over 30 years.

This is a good point and of course he is still dutch, it seems only British would call themselves Australian when living in Oz while all other nationalities stick to their roots.

Guest PJM80

I'm moving to Sydney next month at the ripe old age of 31. Can't see me ever calling myself Aussie though as clearly I'm not/won't be. Also, wanting to live in another part of the world and have new experiences etc doesn't make me any less proud to be English. It just means I want to live in another part of the world and have new experiences etc.

Guest GoldCoastMag

I am one of those: British born but consider myself Australian. I look at it like adoption. I could not choose where my mother gave birth, but I have spent more years away from that land and am a naturalised Aussie with Australian children (who may have some benefits from their dual citizenship, but were not brought up to think that they were English).

Recently, I have also become a naturalised American, but dont and cant imagine ever considering myself American, so isnt it where you put down roots, the country that you consider "home" and dont imagine ever leaving.

Sometimes citizenship is taken for different reasons than pride and adoption of the country you are residing in, the immigration processes probably havent been updated to reflect the changes in society, so a passport is necessary to prevent hassles when travelling back to a spouses homeland.

So as a reflection of all the differences, it really comes down to how you feel about your current residence, is it an adventure, a trip, a temporary abode, or is it a deep seated love and a place you are and have committed to, assimilated in, and a land who you have adopted and want to be in for ever.

Just my take ::confused:

Guest Mallam
I think where you were born and lived your formative years is what you are,it doesnt really matter my great gfathers were from italy and ireland,my parents were born in lpool,i was born in lpool,i say im a scouser first and foremost because lpool is what gave me my mindset,my way of thinking,if i was born in stockbroker belt surrey i wouldnt have the same type of mindset i have today(for good or bad!),anybody asks where im from i say lpool,i personally will never be able to call myself an aussie,nor do i want to tbh,no disrespect to those that do,but no ,i am where i was born and raised.

Good post pablo, not being cruel but anyone who was brought up in a town or City in the England and then thinks they are Australian is deluded IMO, no one from any other Country except england would do this....why:eek: you are what you are....take pride in it, and enjoy your new life in OZ as an immigrant from England.

Good post pablo, not being cruel but anyone who was brought up in a town or City in the England and then thinks they are Australian is deluded IMO, no one from any other Country except england would do this....why:eek: you are what you are....take pride in it, and enjoy your new life in OZ as an immigrant from England.

Thx Mallam,im an immigrant from Liverpool tho 1st and foremost:notworthy:,england is a big second tbh

If anyone asks then I'm English and a Mackem. Was born here and proud of it and my upbringing. My father is Danish and I'm proud of that too.

If in the future I take Aussie citizenship I'd be proud of that but will always be English.

Can they not think they are both to varying degrees?

Guest Guest26012
Alrite yer big galoot:wink:,mentioned you yesterday on susies WISH THEY WERE HERE thread,hows the cow btw??

The cows fine Pabs lol :biggrin::cute:

I don't think there is much doubt that if some one moves to Australia as a middle aged adult, they will obviously still feel very much affiliated to the country they grew up in. That is to be expected.

I find it odd though where someone has been in Australia since they were a baby and had their own kids in Australia, and professes they are English.

They are kidding themselves and us. They are Australian - Dinky Di and True Blue.

Why do you have to be one or the other? Most people on this site would be dual citizens...

As to you being wherever you were born and spent your formative years, what if the two didn't happen in the same place? And which years are we talking about here? preschool? teenage? Young adult? All of these have a strong influence.

Another option I've heard is that you are whever your accent's from. When you're speaking what language? What if your accent can't be pinpointed to a location because it's a blend of so many different influences?

I'm Dutch, born and raised there for my first 31 years. I've lived in the UK for the past 9 years. And now I'm in Australia (for 3 weeks!). I already feel more Australian then I've ever felt English. England wasn't my choice of country to live in, but it was practical for me to move over there as opposed to my OH move to Holland.

Do I still feel Dutch? Sure, I quite like my heritage, but I'm chosing Australia and can't wait to apply for citizenship and call myself an Australian officially.

Guest guest36762
I'm Dutch, born and raised there for my first 31 years. I've lived in the UK for the past 9 years. And now I'm in Australia (for 3 weeks!). I already feel more Australian then I've ever felt English. England wasn't my choice of country to live in, but it was practical for me to move over there as opposed to my OH move to Holland.

Do I still feel Dutch? Sure, I quite like my heritage, but I'm chosing Australia and can't wait to apply for citizenship and call myself an Australian officially.

that sounds like a conscious decision to me

Guest chris955

What I find odd is why it bothers you so much what my kids class themselves as. I will tell them they are kidding themselves but I'm not sure they will care. :wink:

I find it odd though where someone has been in Australia since they were a baby and had their own kids in Australia, and professes they are English.

They are kidding themselves and us. They are Australian - Dinky Di and True Blue.

Guest siamsusie

I think you are quite entitled to call yourself what you want tbh!

I have always called myself Dutch, no matter where in the world I have lived...Upon citizenship I will remain Dutch but with Australian citizenship.

If you want to call yourself an Australian go for it, its a free country:notworthy:

Guest chris955

:goofy: Born in England = English. That's good enough for me. :wink:

Actually I was saying you were kidding yourself that you are English.

You're not really.

Guest siamsusie
Some Australian today thought I was a Scouser - I promptly told him I was Dutch!!

:laugh::laugh:Pmsl Pablo will love that, being a Scouser!

Why do you have to be one or the other? Most people on this site would be dual citizens...

As to you being wherever you were born and spent your formative years, what if the two didn't happen in the same place? And which years are we talking about here? preschool? teenage? Young adult? All of these have a strong influence.

Another option I've heard is that you are whever your accent's from. When you're speaking what language? What if your accent can't be pinpointed to a location because it's a blend of so many different influences?

Fair point,mine did tho.

Archived