British/Aussie/Irish/American????

2tigers

I can speak bits of german susie thats all,swei beer,swei house essen,probably chinese to them tbh but we got there in the end:goofy:,things that roughly translate.......can ich dich vierlibt,fick mich etc:biggrin::laugh::wink:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest siamsusie
I can speak bits of german susie thats all,swei beer,swei house essen,probably chinese to them tbh but we got there in the end:goofy:,things that roughly translate.......can ich dich vierlibt,fick mich etc:biggrin::laugh::wink:
pmsl Pabs, I am sure the German frauleins remember you well:wubclub:.

:yes:

pmsl Pabs, I am sure the German frauleins remember you well:wubclub:.

:yes:

I hope so susie,most of them got 100 marks for half an hour:angel_happy_face_ha,kept hamburg going me:cute:,the only bricky who came home owing £300,had a laff tho!:notworthy:

Guest siamsusie
I hope so susie,most of them got 100 marks for half an hour:angel_happy_face_ha,kept hamburg going me:cute:,the only bricky who came home owing £300,had a laff tho!:notworthy:

Sorry Tiger:cry:! back on track..

:twitcy::twitcy:@Pabs

I didn't say we have bought them up to be English because we haven't.

You do not realise you are doing it Chris when you speak about going to UK loving it etc, all rubs off, I know I was one of those children that listened and I lived in UK longer than you did before I originally left. However my mother did not help me become my own person because her wanting to be somewhere else i e UK made me believe the same as her that where we were living was second best.

That is why I have never wanted the being torn bit for my children.

Guest chris955

Yes of course there is bound to be an element of that, it was more the assumption that we had bought them up to be English which couldn't be further from the truth.

You do not realise you are doing it Chris when you speak about going to UK loving it etc, all rubs off, .

Guest gbgal

I'm English, or British, lived in Aus for 34 years, about to become a permanent resident, but my children, all born here are Australian. Interestingly though, my daughter, still studying at Uni, will say she is English at times - due to having an English parent, and having lived and studied over there

Yes of course there is bound to be an element of that, it was more the assumption that we had bought them up to be English which couldn't be further from the truth.

Clearly you have though, whether you will admit to it or not.

The triumphalising by you of all things British has obviously affected those impressionable young minds in their formative years.

It is very sad that your kids who are Aussies in every sense and lived here all their lives think of themselves as something other than what they are.

You have really set yourself up for heartache too when the reality over there is immensely short of the expectations you have built up over the years.

It really does not matter as long as children are settled and feel as though they are they can live anywhere and decide later. Unfortunately with my lot did not feel that way.

That said Mum is here today so we must watch our ps and qs :laugh:

Guest chris955

Exactly right.

It really does not matter as long as children are settled and feel as though they are they can live anywhere and decide later. Unfortunately with my lot did not feel that way.

That said Mum is here today so we must watch our ps and qs :laugh:

Guest chris955

Well ours can certainly do whatever they like when old enough, at 9 I don't think they will be coming back in a year or so :biggrin:

Guest chris955

Well they do think they are adults :laugh:

Yes as you say they are at an age where they will settle in anywhere, they said they are going to miss their friends but have Skype so it wont be too bad.

It's a very interesting question 2tigers, mine is very complicated and I've never thought about it like that.

My grandfather was half French, half English, my grandmother was Hungarian, my mum was born in Hungary, then they moved to England when she was only a year old. Then my mum moved back to Hungary when she was 20, where she met my dad who is a Hungarian and after they got married they moved back to England:goofy: and I was born and brought up in England.

My husband is English and our daughter was born here in Oz, so in theory she is Australian.

I consider myself English because I grown up there, and even though my daughter was born here, she is more English than Australian (especially if we move back to England), mostly because of our English heritage, more so than Australian.

Chris, Not trying to be rude, but I think you are an unusual case, maybe even unique.

To have lived in Australia nearly your whole life and for your kids to be born here and have lived their whole life here and not consider yourselves Australian is very unusual.

It is very odd if you have brought your kids up to think their English when they were born in Aus and lived their whole life here.

Would you say that to a Greek, Italian, Somalian family? Have a look around Melbourne, there are plenty of these families, some haven't even stepped on a plane leaving AU yet class themselves as being from their 'Families Mother land'.

Yes I would..

If the parent has lived here since 18 months old and the kids born and bred here, that is about as Aussie as you can get. No matter what the cultural heritage going further back.

But in reality that doesn't really happen does it? We respect peoples beliefs and let them get on with it, we don't tell them we think they are wrong regardless of our beliefs.

Now for me, I believe that people bounce between citizenship, nationality and culture to suit the conversation. I question when an Aussie born Greek or Italian etc is Aussie unless it suits them to be Greek or Italian (Not just these two or in AU, but take it as an example). For me I would never say I was Irish to suit the conversation, but many people do, they use their past or present to suit.

I also wonder if some of the Brits who leave the UK to AU searching for a new life would ditch the UK nationality in conversation to suit? Maybe because thats what they 'want to be' Or would they stand by their nationality with pride like a lot of other citizens do? The thing is, you can be a citizen of many different countries but you cannot change your nationality, where you were born and brought up.

Is there a correct way? Probably not unless someone can come up with something that makes sense!

The thing is, you can be a citizen of many different countries but you cannot change your nationality, where you were born and brought up.

Actually I am wrong there aren't I? I believe you can renounce your nationality legally?

Guest Guest16631

British/Aussie/Irish/American???? ....................some times when your born you are only there a matter of months ....................then move on continuously....................but you can aquire a little bit from each place you live in ..............a word .............a likeing for certain foods...............a mannerism even a belief...........and if your parents and grangparents were the same..............then you are a traveller................a world traveller....................proud to say i.ve lived there and taken something positive away....................

I think where you were born and lived your formative years is what you are,it doesnt really matter my great gfathers were from italy and ireland,my parents were born in lpool,i was born in lpool,i say im a scouser first and foremost because lpool is what gave me my mindset,my way of thinking,if i was born in stockbroker belt surrey i wouldnt have the same type of mindset i have today(for good or bad!),anybody asks where im from i say lpool,i personally will never be able to call myself an aussie,nor do i want to tbh,no disrespect to those that do,but no ,i am where i was born and raised.

Archived