British/Aussie/Irish/American????

2tigers

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Place and nationality is an interesting thing, influenced by so many many things, as some of the discussion here is suggesting. Although I was born here, I have always felt connected to England (dad), Scotland (Mum) and Northern Ireland (Grandad)) because I was raised with a lot of the traditions from those countries which influenced my life. I always felt 'familiar' with British things and found that it was interwoven into the fabric of my life, so when I went over there to live I felt as if I already knew the place to a certain extent. Of course that did not make me "British", but I do in some ways feel 'half British' if you can understand that, all the while being also proud of my birthplace which is here. When I was asked to give up my (dual) British citizenship for a government job, I said no, wasn't willing to do that, so the connection is still quite strong. I also regularly cook British style speciality food, and support English (Spurs) and Scottish (Dons) league teams. My friends are all sons and daughters of migrants and have close connections to their parents homeland too. We are all Australians though too. If all that makes sense ! Anyway, it is what anyone personally feels, if you want to call yourself a nationality of your choice that's up to you really isn't it. Oh and Susie, I must have some Dutch heritage somewhere because I keep putting mayonnaise on my chips, LOL:laugh:

Place and nationality is an interesting thing, influenced by so many many things, as some of the discussion here is suggesting. Although I was born here, I have always felt connected to England (dad), Scotland (Mum) and Northern Ireland (Grandad)) because I was raised with a lot of the traditions from those countries which influenced my life. I always felt 'familiar' with British things and found that it was interwoven into the fabric of my life, so when I went over there to live I felt as if I already knew the place to a certain extent. Of course that did not make me "British", but I do in some ways feel 'half British' if you can understand that, all the while being also proud of my birthplace which is here. When I was asked to give up my (dual) British citizenship for a government job, I said no, wasn't willing to do that, so the connection is still quite strong. I also regularly cook British style speciality food, and support English (Spurs) and Scottish (Dons) league teams. My friends are all sons and daughters of migrants and have close connections to their parents homeland too. We are all Australians though too. If all that makes sense ! Anyway, it is what anyone personally feels, if you want to call yourself a nationality of your choice that's up to you really isn't it. Oh and Susie, I must have some Dutch heritage somewhere because I keep putting mayonnaise on my chips, LOL:laugh:

We do keep our way of living Olly and most Australians seem to also keep their heritage from the countries that they originally came from. Makes for a nice mix of culture in Aus. Different foods, traditions etc. We do not have to give up our heritage just because we call ourselves Australian.

Yeah, I was just making the point that not everyone falls into neat little boxes like that.

Yeah,i know that,theres plenty on here from servicemens families etc who moved around as kids,i would guess the majority were born and raised in one place tho?so just talking "in general"

Guest Mallam
Actually I was saying you were kidding yourself that you are English.

You're not really.

If you have 2 English parents but your are born in Oz you can still have a British passport and be classed As English.

Just wondering.....

I am British, born to British parents, one from Irish decent. But I call myself British. No matter where I live in the world I would always class myself as British. I would never dream to say I am half Irish.

Now I have met Americans who called themselves Irish, but wasn't born there or ever lived there, but still said they were Irish. Even if the last family member who had actually lived there was a grandparent, they still class themselves as being Irish.

I have met Aussies who say they are Greek, but born and always lived in AU and don't even speak Greek, same scenario as above - some it was their grandparents or one of them who actually lived in greece.

I have met Aussies who say they are Italian if it suits, or Australian if it suits.

I have me Brits who say they are Irish, but wasn't born there or lived there.

Whats your thoughts? If you live in Australia for the rest of your lives, would you consider yourself Australian? Would your kids say they are British, or would they say they are Australian? Or say they are Australian from a British (or wherever it may be) background? Or say they are half British (Or wherever)?

Its says something about the people doing the claiming .............i loved the Aussie people , i had far more aussie mates than poms ,,,,didnt hit it off with the poms at all in oz ,,,,,nut the bottom line is ,i could never claim to be australian ....necause iam English and proud of it .....and yes iam back here and loving it .

I remember the incident well , when i knew i wasnt going to live in Oz for good .

We are at a party , all Aussies and my wife and myself ....

Later on all the songs were sung .....the aussies sung " i still call Australia home " ....i did my best .....but i felt like blasting out Jerusalem :biglaugh:

The boot was on the other foot .....i had a good Aussie mate over for xmas and new year .

We went to the local pub , which had a disco , it was packed .

The last song of the evening was " God save the queen " .

Everyone was on the chairs belting it out , bar one

He was trying to drown everyone out with " Advance Australia Fair ":biglaugh:

Archived