Melbourne smells

blobby1000

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi there GAZ and Family:

I am just using this thread to reply to you after my thread "Melbourne still smells" was closed by the chaps on Poms In Oz. Obviously I would like an opportunity to reply to some of the comments made on that thread, but I must point out that this thread is not meant in any way to be remotely aggressive or hostile (its important to point that out, as we know, when writing stuff we cannot use tone).

I recall you called me a "loser" in response to my suggestion that "Melbourne still smells" I have no real issue with being called a loser but I would like to clarify my position.

You appear to still be in England and so not quite started your time in Australia. I wish you all the best when you do. I think its important that people in England, in particular, hear both sides of an argument and hear different experiences in Australia. Surely you want to see the real picture and not just peoples experiences that are all good? How does that prepare you if things go wrong?

We have been here six months. We have made it here and we are still here. We have successfully made it to Australia with 2 kids (aged 3 and 1) on a 25 hour flight, our eldest child spent time on the flight projectile vomiting!) we have said goodbye to all our family and friends (nightmare). We arrived in a temporary and very expensive house one and a half hours from where we needed to rent permanently (due to a fairly useless relocation agent in the UK). This immediately put us under pressure. We found a house in the 12 days I had before I started work in spite of having a dog which we also arranged relocation for (very hard to find a house with a dog). We bought a car. We opened bank accounts. We arranged medicare, we have found a pre-school, my wife has found work and I have already been promoted in my job and spend about half my time in charge of 2 wards as a nurse.

We have 2 houses in the UK which we have successfully let out and are making us a profit.

We dont really like Melbourne and after all that hard work stated above (none of which you done yet) we are a little disappointed.

My thread stating we dont like Melbourne is not offensive, its an opinion. Your post that I am a loser is offensive and its also ridiculous. I am not a loser because I dont like Melbourne!! You may not like it either. You should not really make comments like this until you have arrived in Australia and know exactly what is involved.

Good luck with your move.:biggrin:

Hi Blobby

I have merged this thread with the Melbourne Smells one which is still open. The reason your other thread was closed was because we don't need duplicate threads about the same subject, however, can I also take this opportunity to remind you of the forum rules in regards to questioning a moderators actions.

I understand that you don't like Melbourne and I am totally fine with that, however, please remember that this is your families own thoughts on Melbourne, your title "Melbourne Smells" is not fact for a start. Yes there are hoons, but I can honestly say that in my 7 years of living there I never once saw a hoon, yes in certain suburbs they do exist but please, you can't judge all of Melbourne on your experience. There are quite a few members on here who do not like Melbourne, however, they sensibly debate their reasoning and don't start numerous threads on the same thing to get a reaction.

Have you started looking at other states or are you stuck in Melbourne?

I really do understand what you are trying to say, BUT, it is not coming across that way.

I wish you lots of luck and happiness in your new life here and really, as said before, hope you manage to find somewhere that you are all happy.

Kate:hug:

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Blobby has worked out his problem and is buying some new deodorant this morning.

Hopefully no more smells...:wink:

Keep out of your suburb Parley, there are far too many smells there too - i.e. the aroma of the coffee which I had down there yesterday :biggrin:

Melbourne does not smell. Well sometimes when they are putting the blood and bone on the vege farm down the road it might, or the horses across the road on a hot day. Good honest smells.

Hoons, they come and they go. At present we have hoons, I live on a small dirt road and one of my neighbours children have grown up and discovered cars and find it exciting to spin out of control on the dirt road. Only good thing is they are grown now, a year and they will be living with the girl friend and peace will return. Its cyclical.

Hoons do hang out in the middle of the night as they are very rich and have shares in the tyre retailers or maybe daddy owns one. Otherwise I cannot understand why anyone wants to wreck their tyres. They have drag races in some areas usually factory industrial type areas where its illegal racing and probably venue passed by their iphones or facebook.

Young people are young people and they now have more money, cars etc and hence they behave like young people have always behaved daringly.

Thanks Kate for your kind wishes. I will be more careful how I word things. I suppose we are just taking time to adapt to Melbourne and have generally found this site very helpful. Even since posting this we are finding some really quite unsmelly areas!!

• 6 months later...

No we have come to like the city, it's just the endless suburbia that gets us down, souless suburbs, but thats the price people are willing to may to be close to the city I suppose, or perhaps some people actually like suburban life.

We prefer the areas out of Greensborough (where we live) more rural areas like Hurstbridge, St Andrews and healeville and Warrendyte and we have spent many days off deon in Torquay and really love it there.

Whats got us through is finding places we do like and spending time there and then before we knew it we were in a position to move once our contract ended on the house.

Are you living in Melbourne??

Nope im in scotland, we're looking into moving to aus next year but it'll probably be perth because of daves type of work but we're open to moving anywhere. I have family in victoria, they live in yarraville. dont think they'll ever come back to glasgow, they love it over there

No we have come to like the city, it's just the endless suburbia that gets us down, souless suburbs, but thats the price people are willing to may to be close to the city I suppose, or perhaps some people actually like suburban life.

We prefer the areas out of Greensborough (where we live) more rural areas like Hurstbridge, St Andrews and healeville and Warrendyte and we have spent many days off deon in Torquay and really love it there.

Whats got us through is finding places we do like and spending time there and then before we knew it we were in a position to move once our contract ended on the house.

Are you living in Melbourne??

Glad you have come to like it,,, time is a great thing!

Guest dastott

I know Melbourne regularly tops the list of Aussie cities in these liveability rankings but I don't really see the attraction of the place. Compared to Perth, Adelaide or Sydney (I haven't lived in Brisbane) much of it does seem soulless, the weather isn't that great and there are no nice beaches close to the city. And yes, parts of the CBD stink of horse crap. If I was emigrating from the UK, Melbourne is the last mainland state capital I would consider.

Melbourne is a fabulous place to live, there ARE great beaches near the city, it's definitely not soulless.

But if you don't like it that's fine - leaves it open for people who do like it to move there :)

Me I love the place, have been back here now for almost 2 weeks and am loving every second of it! Okay apart from the having to get up for work, but that's nothing to do with Melbourne, that's just life!

Absolutely right Dastott! I quite agree.

Jon and Jon, perfectly entitled to your opinion of course, as we all are, but where are the great city beaches? Im not being difficult, just genuinely interested in peoples different perceptions. I think Sorrento and Portsea are OK, the ocean beaches down there are wonderful, then Torquay and onwards west are world class, but St Kilda? Brighton? Just smelly sewage aint they!!??

ScottishStacy! I know its amazing! This one guy drives passed our house 4 times a day with music loud enough to hear in England, they dont grow out of it here, they love their cars and its bloody dangerous just going for a walk, and the aggression of the drivers is remarkable, horrible, I hate driving in suburbia!

Absolutely right Dastott! I quite agree.

Jon and Jon, perfectly entitled to your opinion of course, as we all are, but where are the great city beaches? Im not being difficult, just genuinely interested in peoples different perceptions. I think Sorrento and Portsea are OK, the ocean beaches down there are wonderful, then Torquay and onwards west are world class, but St Kilda? Brighton? Just smelly sewage aint they!!??

ScottishStacy! I know its amazing! This one guy drives passed our house 4 times a day with music loud enough to hear in England, they dont grow out of it here, they love their cars and its bloody dangerous just going for a walk, and the aggression of the drivers is remarkable, horrible, I hate driving in suburbia!

I think Melbourne is a great city, and that you just got stuck in the wrong suburb for you. Hopefully Torquay will tick all the right boxes. I'll be following with interest:wink:

]Does anyone else find Melbourne to be a depressing' date=' graffiti ridden, litter strewn smelly hellhole and its suburbs to be largely soulless endless depressing and unfriendly?[/b']

We moved out from the Uk in November with our two kids and cannot wait to move on to a nicer part of Australia.

There's a great future for you in Sydney expressing that kind of sentiment! I actually rather like the sound of 'Melbourne Smells' too. It has a certain 'ring' to it. I suggest you copyright it and start a blog!

ps I've no real antipathy (is that the right word?) for Melbourne and I LOVED Elwood I think it is when I stopped there for a coffee. Plus, if Melbourne had done nothing else in its history, it should be applauded for keeping its tram network when the 'vandals' in the NSW Govt destroyed the second biggest city tram network in the British Empire (after London.)

I live in the inner city in Sydney and love the ambience and the unique terraces and I am pretty sure that inner city Melbourne has the same kind of ambience & homes, maybe even better. I love the AFL team names too, some RIP unfortunately, Collingwood, Fitzroy, Footscray, et al. (Sorry to South Melbourne fans too although I love the Swans, I would hate it if Tottenham were dismantled and shipped to another city.)

Archived