Melbourne smells

blobby1000

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone else find Melbourne to be a depressing, graffiti ridden, litter strewn smelly hellhole and its suburbs to be largely soulless endless depressing and unfriendly?

We moved out from the Uk in November with our two kids and cannot wait to move on to a nicer part of Australia.

In a word - No.

Guest Trigby

No ! it a fab place.. guessing your in a dark place after emigrating thats making everthying seem ****!..

We have all been there at some point after emigrating up and down after a few months..

were are you living maybe you need a suburb change?

NO! :laugh:

Try a different area. There are dodgy places in every city and some suburbs can be lifeless. Find the right area and things will be different. Also you don’t see many people out the front of their houses; i blame the motorised garage door, press the remote, drive in and close the door behind you! Never see your neighbours. Luckily we do see ours and live in a nice suburb where there is "life" and we have a nice little community. Melbourne was voted the 2nd most liveable city in the world again this year so can’t be all bad.

Guest The Pom Queen

Please can I ask where abouts in Melbourne you are staying?

Yes in certain areas there are graffiti but that's the only thing I can agree on.

There are bad areas but they are in the minority. One thing I like about Melbourne is that there is a suburb out there for everyone, if you want a beach suburb there are lots to choose from, if you want to be near the city again lots of lovely places and if you want the countryside, well wow, what a choice you have.

What does get me is people who come to Melbourne settle in a suburb and then judge all of Melbourne on that suburb. We left Melbourne, but it wasn't because of the area, in fact it is the longest I have ever stayed in one place without getting the itchy feet to move on.

Australia is huge and there are lots of choices for everyone so I hope you find somewhere that is your perfect place.

Souless??

You yourself must be souless, what, you need a few old buildings, an art gallery, tree lined streets to feel alive? Bloody hell you have 2 kids....... get out and enjoy the sun take the kids to the park with a ball, take some snags and make a day of it.

Some people :wacko::realmad::arghh:

Guest The Pom Queen

I've just seen from your previous posts that you are in Greensborough.

However, also in previous posts I saw coments from you that said how beautiful Berwick was, Harkaway, Dandenong Ranges and also a post where you put "the city itself is good and there is just so much going on its amazing"

Now please tell me which is it, you posted that last one 10 days ago, has something happened in Melbourne in those 10 days :chatterbox:

I've just seen from your previous posts that you are in Greensborough.

However, also in previous posts I saw coments from you that said how beautiful Berwick was, Harkaway, Dandenong Ranges and also a post where you put "the city itself is good and there is just so much going on its amazing"

Now please tell me which is it, you posted that last one 10 days ago, has something happened in Melbourne in those 10 days :chatterbox:

Maybe just a bad day. But with 2 kids to take along to places and enjoy the parks and beaches etc, what more can you ask for. Seeing my Son running around parks most weekends is good enough for me. As great as the city is I enjoy the other parts of Melbourne more. Just get in the car and drive and find somewhere nice, have lunch, let the kids play in the park and enjoy. Look at the great sunny weekend we just had, how could you not enjoy that! Not going to get defensive as we have been in the same boat in the past. You said in one post dont live in cranbourne, if you are currently living there take the kids to casey fields new park, massive park, loads of free BBQ shelters, a nice walk around the lake and you can even go fishing! Life is what you make it....

Guest chris955

Best thing about Melbourne is the road heading North. :wink:

Seriously though it's OK as far as cities go, I wouldn't live there but I wouldn't live in most cities. We were there a couple of months ago and it did nothing to change our opinion of it, just don't move West, go East.

Guest guest36762
Best thing about Melbourne is the road heading North. :wink:

Seriously though it's OK as far as cities go, I wouldn't live there but I wouldn't live in most cities. We were there a couple of months ago and it did nothing to change our opinion of it, just don't move West, go East.

Oi!

bloody snob

Guest guest36762
:laugh:

I was thinking more of the area between the CBD and Geelong :biggrin:

what, Werribee, Tarneit, Point Cook, Hoppers Crossing sort of area??

Guest chris955

Footscray isn't somewhere I would choose myself. I have no problem with immigrants, in fact I am one :laugh:

Guest guest36762
Footscray isn't somewhere I would choose myself. I have no problem with immigrants, in fact I am one :laugh:

:wacko:

what about footscray? too many immigrants?

I love Footscray :biggrin:http://footscrayfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Footscary? Please - that is so old. How about Footsavvy, or better still, Footscrummy? I love Melbourne's maligned western suburbs and want to reveal them as the treasure trove they really are.

Can you add weight to my argument Mr J?

I only call the city by that name, to rile olly...:laugh:

And Harpy:wink:

Actually, there are some magnificent places; look at the Mornington Peninsular and The Dandenongs...Well, they were good when I lived in Smellbum...nearly 50 years ago.:wink:

Essendon, where I lived, was an outer suburb then.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Footscray is not all bad, I know a lot of intellectual people call it home due to is proximity to the city and institutions where they work.

Melbourne city has changed and it can be a bit yuck due to the amount of clubs and pubs spilling people out all day and night, however that is big city life wherever we live. Some people thrive on it others hate it.

Me I like a bit of everything, I do believe the more drab looking inner suburbs are the most vibrant places to live and there is a lot going on.

Even now I am older I feel the buzz when I go into the city and the surrounds to visit family and friends. Have friends who owned a large farm and retired and where have the bought and moved to East Melbourne and they love it.

Archived