Considering returning to UK

hilton

Hi, 1st time poster just looking some advice on what to do as my mates out here have nothing balanced to say about thought of leaving Oz.

Ive been Oz 8months on WHV and have just recently got a job in my field after doing really tough work for 6 months. Despite the better working conditions I still feel homesick and long for home. My new company would be prepard to extend my stay but I dont want to lead them on much longer.

I would just like to know is it really that hard to get a job back home? Im a professional in construction industry and realise there wont be an abundance of jobs. I think its the fact of leaving a job (I get paid double here than my last job in Uk) and not having a job at home is whats keeping me here.

Im relatively young and have no family to support etc so I wouldnt need a massive salary to survive.

Ive heard the 6-9mths period in Oz is the toughest period for feeling unsettled etc.

Any thoughts or views would be much appreciated.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest siamsusie
Thanks Susie, I have posted on other forums and got no response, hope PIO is different.

Hi Hilton, you should receive some good responses on this forum.

There are people like Pablo (Liverpool) that will answer your Uk queries for you without a problem... He is in the construction industry.....

Naturally they are asleep right now.....

Where abouts are you please Hilton? I do believe that the first year or two can be quite unsettling for many here in Australia, whichever way you go, very best wishes.

Susie x

Guest guest36762
Hi, 1st time poster just looking some advice on what to do as my mates out here have nothing balanced to say about thought of leaving Oz.

Ive been Oz 8months on WHV and have just recently got a job in my field after doing really tough work for 6 months. Despite the better working conditions I still feel homesick and long for home. My new company would be prepard to extend my stay but I dont want to lead them on much longer.

I would just like to know is it really that hard to get a job back home? Im a professional in construction industry and realise there wont be an abundance of jobs. I think its the fact of leaving a job (I get paid double here than my last job in Uk) and not having a job at home is whats keeping me here.

Im relatively young and have no family to support etc so I wouldnt need a massive salary to survive.

Ive heard the 6-9mths period in Oz is the toughest period for feeling unsettled etc.

Any thoughts or views would be much appreciated.

Hi mate

can't really comment re the construction industry though prospects definately better in Aus at the moment, so it might be best to stay put for the time being and see it as a temp measure, and do what you can to sort a job in UK before you come back. In the meantime, maybe save up some dosh and make the most of the exchange rate. Try not to get shacked up with an Aussie sheila cos that will really complicate things

8 months isn't a long time but I think you know deep down yourself when it's not going to work out. I personally knew from the 8 week point that I wanted to go home, but unfortunately hubby is tied into a 3 year contract with only 18 months left to do.

I can only echo what harpodom said, save as much cash as possible sending chunks back to the UK as soon as you can assuming you still have a UK bank account. Be sensible about it, make a plan and stick to it with realistic timelines.

Good luck.

Julie

Guest siamsusie
Im in Brisbane at the minute Susie and have been for the past 8mths, cant say I have any faults with Brissy to be honest.

I am wondering whether you can use this time to work as hard as possible, meet up with some really good folk in Brisbane from back home ( to quell your homesickness a bit lol) save some money and travel whilst you are here.

Seeing you havent a Mrs or Baby Hiltons, this may be the perfect opportunity for you.

Having said that, if you have the support network back in the UK and receive some positive replies on the work front there is no harm in going back home at all.

See what others come up with Hilton.

:hug:Susie x

Guest Guest 47403

You seem to have come through the hard bit doing the crappy jobs to get where you are, I'd say stay put for now and enjoy the opportunity especially if the money is good and you have no ties.

The job market back here isn't great currently keep earning those $ and look at your situation in 6 months time, you might now your the job of your choice start to enjoy the place and get the network in place you need around you.

The UK will still still be here if after a while you decide it really isn't for you.

Alrite Hilton

Can only speak as a tradesman in the north west,the building industry has been woefull up here for 18 months in my experience,and the same for my mates.your in management,maybe its different?but ive got mates who are site agents etc and they cant find work either,maybe its not as bad where your thinking of heading back to in the uk,i dont know,but i would deffo try and sort some work out before you come back,imo anyway.

Anyway....good luck whatever you decide

Hi Hilton

Partners in construction and things are certainly not great but there are some jobs in Construction Management /Projects Management etc. Partners just working his last bit out in the UK working for himself, but was Site/Projects managing in London a couple of years back, and it was starting to tighten then.

Contact 'Reeds' Resources or similar in the UK and ask them what the chances are. I think you'll have to make sure your SMC's etc are up to date. but as you've only been there a short while they should be.

It is the worse period, I did it the other way around Aus to UK for ten years and the first round of missed birthdays etc are always worse....I could say it does get easier, at least it did for me. You don't sound unhappy with Australia and it sounds like after a struggle you're getting somewhere, so have a think about it first...But I can feel for you...it can be difficult!

Chin up:wink:

Rach

Guest surferchicksal

Hi there

Just wanted to say we lived in Australia for nearly 3 years, I always felt homesick. I gave birth to my daughter in australia and wanted to bring her back to the UK to show her off, I was so homesick that we came home to stay, 2 years on and I so wish we only came back for a visit, as now the family cant be bothered with my daughter and we all want to come back to Australia.

Businesses are suffering big time in UK, my hubby is a self employed carpenter/Window fitter, things are a bit on the slow side for all the trades he has spoken too! If you have a good job that is being paid double id say stay put and maybe just come back for a holiday after a year!

Good luck!

Welcome to PIO. You have received some good advice already and I would suggest that if you are going to return then you plan your return carefully. We have been in Australia for 6 years and plan to go back, but even though I yearn to be back home, I know realistically that we will have to save like mad for a few years before we can consider returning. In the mean time we have bought a caravan and intend to travel around a bit while we are still here. We are in a different situation to you in that we are a family with commitments but the advice is not that different really. Plan, save and enjoy it while you are here. All the best with what you decide to do.

Hi Hilton

Your sitaution sounds a lot like mine last year. I came over on the WHV with the aim to stay longer so did a crappy job & didn't really give myself a chance to enjoy the place (Melbourne). I think the stress of doing something I hated exacerbated the unsettled feeling & I missed my security back home. Like you, when I was finally offered a job in my field with the chance of sponsorship, I was ready to go back & it was a real anticlimax. I actually declined the job offer, booked my ticket home & then really regretted the decision. I realised I was turning down an opportunity that I probably wouldn't receive again & got back in touch with the employers who offered me another role. I still managed to fit in a quick trip to the UK which made me realise I really wanted to give Aus another chance. So I came back & after aernoth period of unsettlement REALLY decided to give it a go & made the effort. I love it here now & would be gutted if I had to return to the UK at this point.

My fear was that the longer I stayed in Aus, the less chance I would have of settling back in to UK life & I would be 'stuck' here. However, I know what I'm like & had I returned to the UK permanently I would've kicked myself & wondered 'what if'.

Can you go back for a trip before you start the job? Or family/friends plan a visit so at least you know when you'll see a familiar face again? I feel happy here now but it's still hard at times, Xmas was tough but my parents said they would come here next Xmas. Because I earn more here too, I can plan trips to meet UK friends in places like Thailand.

Happy decision making! Say to yourself you can't really make a bad decision here, you can be happy in both places. I will say that homesickness can really cloud your decision making & when I look back I wonder why I found it so difficult (reading my previous posts on here too, I sound like a different person).

Good luck :biggrin:

Good to hear of someone with similar conditions to mine. I never really came with any plans to stay here long term, its just when im here the only 'advice' I get is "you cant go home etc".

My parents would love to see me return but conversations with them make me feel that im better of here, although I dont think they are aware how much I miss home.

My life hasnt changed much out here, I work Mon-Fri, play sport at weekend, go out 2 pubs/clubs etc at weekend very similar to home only difference is I might have some more $$$ come Mon morn, however I do work more hours.

I think I will give it a few more months, if nothing changes I will go home happy in the knowledge that I have tried the Oz experience and it wasnt for me.

Go for it, you can have a good life and with a whole range of other experiences in UK/Europe - loads of young Aussies would give their eye teeth to have the capacity to move to UK to live and work! Nothing says this place has to float your boat, it is quite acceptable to decide that YOUR life is better elsewhere.

Go for it, you can have a good life and with a whole range of other experiences in UK/Europe - loads of young Aussies would give their eye teeth to have the capacity to move to UK to live and work! Nothing says this place has to float your boat, it is quite acceptable to decide that YOUR life is better elsewhere.

Great to hear a balanced view from someone who has been here a while. As I said before the only views I had were 'Dont go home etc', they were almost that intense they were making me feel that I was committing a sin by even thinking of returning home. I feel I have done all I can, joined clubs etc to meet new friends but I just feel it is an endless cycle with people coming and going from this country constantly, i did meet sum great people but they have either moved on or gone home.

I have heard people say make lists of pros and cons etc but the list really just boils down to having a decent job here and having no real friendships or going home and trying to find a job in a difficult time and having friends and family round for support.

Guest cricketbanned

Homesickness is a phase. you can get through it although it is difficult I admit. if things are working for you now where you are financially, wait. Don't rush to change anything. Surviving is key for now.

Great to hear a balanced view from someone who has been here a while. As I said before the only views I had were 'Dont go home etc', they were almost that intense they were making me feel that I was committing a sin by even thinking of returning home. I feel I have done all I can, joined clubs etc to meet new friends but I just feel it is an endless cycle with people coming and going from this country constantly, i did meet sum great people but they have either moved on or gone home.

I have heard people say make lists of pros and cons etc but the list really just boils down to having a decent job here and having no real friendships or going home and trying to find a job in a difficult time and having friends and family round for support.

Take yerself away on yer own for some ME time hilton,bottle of scotch and a smoke mate,have a weekend away,no distractions,have a ponder,THEN decide,because "some" of the opinions your listening to here are what THOSE people want to do,their not thinking of you,their thinking of themselves,have some time on yer jack,have a sctch,have a spliff,but more than anything.....do what YOU wanna do,NOT whats expected of you,here yer go,have this:hug::wink:

Guest AnubisUK

Hi Hilton, I'm in a very similar boat to you! I've been here about 6 months now and I do feel homesick at times, mainly because things haven't worked out here the way I had imagined in terms of my teaching work. But the absolute number one thing that makes me want to see it out is the thought of looking back as an old man with regrets for going back to the UK! I'm about to start 3 months of fruit picking which I might enjoy, but which might also be hell, but then when I get back from that (to Melbourne) I'll be far more prepared for what to expect, I'll be registered to teach by that point, and can really make a right good go of it as I'll have the money to go places and meet people!

There are so many things to do out here that you don't get the opportunity to do at home, and the pay here is so much better and with the dollar being so strong it's the perfect time to make cash and get it exchanged to pounds!

I'd say try your hardest to stick at it, and give yourself a focus to take your mind of being homesick. If you ever want to message me please feel free to do so! Hope things work out!

Hi Hilton, I'm in a very similar boat to you! I've been here about 6 months now and I do feel homesick at times, mainly because things haven't worked out here the way I had imagined in terms of my teaching work. But the absolute number one thing that makes me want to see it out is the thought of looking back as an old man with regrets for going back to the UK! I'm about to start 3 months of fruit picking which I might enjoy, but which might also be hell, but then when I get back from that (to Melbourne) I'll be far more prepared for what to expect, I'll be registered to teach by that point, and can really make a right good go of it as I'll have the money to go places and meet people!

There are so many things to do out here that you don't get the opportunity to do at home, and the pay here is so much better and with the dollar being so strong it's the perfect time to make cash and get it exchanged to pounds!

I'd say try your hardest to stick at it, and give yourself a focus to take your mind of being homesick. If you ever want to message me please feel free to do so! Hope things work out!

Cheers mate, the thought of going home and regretting it has made me decide to give it another 3 months, if by then things havent changed I will do bita travelling then head home.

I understand the thought of making good money out here, strength of Aus $ etc against the thought of goin home and being unemployed for a period. But I dont think you put a price on your happiness and I feel thats what I would be doin if I stayed here for the $$$.

As ive said before I came to Oz for a bit of a change but my lifes pretty much the same as UK except bein bit better of financially and having less family and friends

Hi Hilton,

You sound young so if I were you, with no ties I would treat it like a holiday and do a lot of travelling.

Australian cities are so different. I heard a girl from Perth on the radio this morning. She's been over East the whole year in a stage show and said they've not really had a summer.

Here in Perth we haven't had any rain for months and we were complaining about the heat only a couple of weeks ago. She said how great it was to be back.

If you came over during the wettest period the East Coast has had for years your experience could have been pretty bad.

Try other cities while you have chance. Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Darwin, Townsville, Perth all different and all great at different times of the year. I might give Canberra a miss though. There are people who like it there though so I guess it can't be all bad. Reminded me of Milton Keynes.

Guest AnubisUK
Cheers mate, the thought of going home and regretting it has made me decide to give it another 3 months, if by then things havent changed I will do bita travelling then head home.

I understand the thought of making good money out here, strength of Aus $ etc against the thought of goin home and being unemployed for a period. But I dont think you put a price on your happiness and I feel thats what I would be doin if I stayed here for the $$$.

As ive said before I came to Oz for a bit of a change but my lifes pretty much the same as UK except bein bit better of financially and having less family and friends

Yeah I feel kind of the same but that's personally because I haven't been making the money to make my life that different, which is why I feel like I almost want to start again, being more prepared this time. Then when I'm making money I can really get out there. The reason I've been struggling is because I haven't really been able to make a life for myself here yet, not sure if you feel the same way? If so, getting out and meeting like-minded people could really help! Have you been on meetup.com?

Yea im in my mid 20's paul, ive seen couple of other cities for wknds, syd and melb. I would have loved to travel around for 2 years and see and work in diff cities, but after the difficulty I had of finding a job in Bris put me off that idea.

No havent been on meetup.com, ive joined a footy team, been made vice captain, get on well wif all the lads and enjoy it but just cant seem to settle. Not a day goes by that I dont think about goin home. Theres nothin more that id like to be settled here and make good $$$ and maybe return home in few years with healthy sum of money and be able to live a bit easier

If you fancy a stint in WA mate there are heaps of jobs here. You could work up north for a bit and earn some serious money.

My eldest is 21 and an electrician. Finished his apprenticeship last year. He has been thinking about an offshore or mining job as a couple of his mates are up there on FIFO. The are a year older than him and have just both bought houses in nice areas to get a start.

My son wants to travel later on though so is saving up for that. He's wanting to go see some of the relies in England and has also talked about going the the German Octoberfest, Portugal, Spain, Greece.

Oh to be young again:cry:

Archived