Considering returning to UK

hilton

Hi I went to aus in 2005 and nearly came home after 7 months as missed home.. But stuck it out and stayed for four years . I came home because I was pregnant but after three months I knew I d made a mistake and now moving back over in April. My advice.. Give it some time .. My partner is a painter here in uk and no work... And if and when you return to uk and realise you made a mistake leaving.. It's very hard and expensive to get back over.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi I went to aus in 2005 and nearly came home after 7 months as missed home.. But stuck it out and stayed for four years . I came home because I was pregnant but after three months I knew I d made a mistake and now moving back over in April. My advice.. Give it some time .. My partner is a painter here in uk and no work... And if and when you return to uk and realise you made a mistake leaving.. It's very hard and expensive to get back over.

I've noticed, after reading your experience and that of others, that some people are homesick and think that they must go back but, all the time they are in OZ, they are gradually getting used to it - 'going native?' It is just that you do not realize until you go back to England!

I've noticed, after reading your experience and that of others, that some people are homesick and think that they must go back but, all the time they are in OZ, they are gradually getting used to it - 'going native?' It is just that you do not realize until you go back to England!

Exactly, I remember being at Sydney airport on the way home and gladly saying that I will never come back again..... 3 weeks later I was crying desperately wanting to go back. What you have to remember about Australia or any hot country you move to... Nowhere is a holiday forever and everywhere you go.. You still have to get up everyday and work... But being back in the uk in the cold .. It's a damn site easier getting up with the sun shining everyday!!! :yes:

Exactly, I remember being at Sydney airport on the way home and gladly saying that I will never come back again..... 3 weeks later I was crying desperately wanting to go back. What you have to remember about Australia or any hot country you move to... Nowhere is a holiday forever and everywhere you go.. You still have to get up everyday and work... But being back in the uk in the cold .. It's a damn site easier getting up with the sun shining everyday!!! :yes:

I remember when I went back for two months over December and January 89/90, ringing up my work on Xmas Eve and they were going off to the Xmas Party BBQ in the park on Garden Island and feeling very jealous.

To be fair, by the end of January, the days were already an hour longer and I was becoming aclimatized again.

I remember when I went back for two months over December and January 89/90, ringing up my work on Xmas Eve and they were going off to the Xmas Party BBQ in the park on Garden Island and feeling very jealous.

To be fair, by the end of January, the days were already an hour longer and I was becoming aclimatized again.

Guess it depends on what your values are?

Guess it depends on what your values are?

Couldnt agree with that statement more. I could move to Queensland next week and have 3000 hours of sunshine and never experience cold again? So why dont i?

The answer is hot weather is lower down on my list than others. I was in Canberra last week and i can tell you it was 12 celcius overcast and windy. Would i live there?

No certainly not, the place is a ****hole. But the weather didnt bother me.

Individuals discretion im afraid.

Couldnt agree with that statement more. I could move to Queensland next week and have 3000 hours of sunshine and never experience cold again? So why dont i?

The answer is hot weather is lower down on my list than others. I was in Canberra last week and i can tell you it was 12 celcius overcast and windy. Would i live there?

No certainly not, the place is a ****hole. But the weather didnt bother me.

Individuals discretion im afraid.

Aw c'mon, Canberra isnt that bad, surely!

Archived