My husband has been eaten alive...

Guest roaminnomore

Guest roaminnomore

Dear all, after some remedies!!!

My husband has been eaten alive and not by me! :Randy-git: We have both been bitten several times over the last couple of weeks but, I have never seen bites as big as these. They look and feel (he has said) exactly the same as other mozzie bites but they are HUGE.

Any suggestions for relief and possible deterants for the little buggers? :eek: lol

Ley x (will also post on lifeinvicrotia as well) :notworthy:

Guest pablofet1

My 7 yr old has had the same problem with getting bitten only she is allergic and they turn to blisters then become infected.

The last two weeks of school holidays we had six visits to the doctors two courses of antibiotics and many dressings!

The doctors advice was to wear clothes that cover most part of body, avoid bright colours perfume/aftershave. We have since discovered that bushmans mosquito repellant to be fantastic.

Funny you should say that. I've noticed that some of the mossie bites this year are huge, painful to the touch and seem to last forever. I just though I was going rotten!

Also noticed that normal looking flies seem to have taken a liking to me too this summer. Never had the joy of them biting me before; and they don't half smart when they nip you!

Guest roaminnomore

Thanks for your suggestions all.

Emmaroo I take it the toothpaste is to put on after? what do you do with the Eucalyptus oil?

Pablofet1 great stuff thanks and 'ouch' for your 7y/o

Fred & Wilma, do you think they could be Horse Flies biting you?

Ley x

Dear all, after some remedies!!!

My husband has been eaten alive and not by me! :Randy-git: We have both been bitten several times over the last couple of weeks but, I have never seen bites as big as these. They look and feel (he has said) exactly the same as other mozzie bites but they are HUGE.

Any suggestions for relief and possible deterants for the little buggers? :eek: lol

Ley x (will also post on lifeinvicrotia as well) :notworthy:

Have you consulted a medical practitioner about taking 50mg of pyridoxine hydrochloride twice a day?

Guest siamsusie

Tiger Balm is excellent and small enough to keep in your purse.

Good old Calamine Lotion

Aloe which is great for Mossies to sun burns . I manage to grow it in Tasmania so hopefully you can also.

Susie x

Mozzies don't like lavender - if you get some lavender oil, mix about 10ml into a 100ml bottle of baby oil, and then use that like a body lotion, they should leave you alone.

And then there's the garlic, but if you don't like reeking of it, maybe try Vit B supplements? Could be an old wives tale, but friend of a friend etc - apparently it leaches out of your skin the same as garlic and the mozzies are not partial to the smell.

Vinegar works wonders on mozzie bites.... Scratch it a little then poor the vinegar on it, stings like crazy for a few seconds but it takes away the pain after the sting goes :yes:

Plant lavender near your windows and no mozzies will come near you.

Also high iron in your blood the mozzies don't like that.

For sun burn (even though you haven't asked) slice cucumber and put that on the effected area, the cucumber sucks up the heat, feels great

Guest roaminnomore

Wow, thanks for all your responses guys and gals, will be working through them till we find what works for him. Ley x:biggrin:

Guest PaulandEmma

Hi Guys,

Not out there yet but have travelled loads. I dont know if you have AVON over there but if you do I find that the skin so soft body was and the cheap body sprays that they sell work really well. Went to Dominican Republic and I did not get bitten once but they loved my husband until he started to use it too. Ha! LOL!!

Not matter what I put on I would stiil get bit to death around the ankles and wrists which became affected and would always blister and water for weeks and then the cycle would start all over again, you just have to accept that some people will suffer while others will never be bit, apparently it is what blood the mozzies can smell on a person, some attract mozzies some don't.:shocked:

Guest SusieOR

I was advised to drink lemon juice in water (I drank it warm but cold was fine also) every day... & it really seem to work, they stopped biting me!!!

Its worth a try???

Sx

I was advised to drink lemon juice in water (I drank it warm but cold was fine also) every day... & it really seem to work, they stopped biting me!!!

Its worth a try???

Sx

Tried that and every quick fix going but still got bit to death, some people will always get bit no matter what they do,:embarrassed:

Guest Sneezy Badger

I've yet to find a way to stop them biting (other than Rid or Aerogard repelent) but I highly recommend tea-tree ointment on the bites - seems to get rid of the itching, and make the swelling go down much quicker.

I did once hear a rumour that eating lots of Vegemite helps to repel them too - apparently the smell of it comes out of your pores, and keeps them away. It could just have been an attempt to get the Poms to eat a ton of the stuff though...

Is that why most of you jocks are pickled ?! To keep the mozzies away ! I'l try that excuse on the mrs next time I roll in steaming ! I don't really get affected by them but mrs b looks like she's been shot with a paint ball gun ! She finds some of those allergy tablets help, I think they're called antihysterene or something similar .

aye aye micky loon, are you at the frosties iv noo ? hows things ?

Great mate , cold fingers but a distant memory ! Loving it ! It's anti hystermynes . I think . What's that spray on body moisturiser they use in the highlands to keep the mozzies away ?

Archived