One Year Update - Brisbane - long thread!

Generalis

Thanks still things are changing for us as I've now started training to be a nurse which is good as its something I've wanted to do for years but circumstances never allowed previously. I think you come here and think you can do anything after everything you've been through to get here in the first place.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hannash

hey michele i here you will try that ,,hey generalis its good to know because we have a 9 and a 6 year old so similarish set up ,what is that other school next door then ,,i couldnt see the sign to clear ,looks like a secondary ,i seen your breakdown for everyday bills also is a help ,,do you think the rents are available for around 350 or would it be closer to 400 our budget is getting hammered because i`m outa work and spending savings :unsure:

Hannash the other school in bracken ridge is Bracken Ridge State School. We visited both and let my daughter choose which she preferred. There is also a private school St Josephs and think fees are roughly $2,000 per year for primary school. Re high schools there is Bracken Ridge State High school which is just outside of Bracken Ridge (its actually in Brighton) and Sandgate State High School is fairly near. A private high school is St Johns Fischer (all girls school) we visited them as looking at options but they seemed more interested in turning out young ladies than academic and results werent great but I'm still learning about OP (overall percentage) for high schools so not best person for this yet. There are some rentals for 350 probably will be 3 bed or you might be lucky and find a 4 bed for that but may not be great. have a look on realestate.com.au they have all the current listings for rentals.

Sam

Thanks still things are changing for us as I've now started training to be a nurse which is good as its something I've wanted to do for years but circumstances never allowed previously. I think you come here and think you can do anything after everything you've been through to get here in the first place.

Hi

I have been reading your post very useful ! could you give me any info on doing nurse training as it is something i would like to do when we arrive.We have been living in France for the past 5 years and i have not been able to work much i can't wait to get to Oz, we have our visa just trying to sell the house.

i had enough credits to do it in the UK but we moved,i think i may have to do an access course first now.Any info would be great.

thanks julie:biggrin:

Guest hannash
Hannash the other school in bracken ridge is Bracken Ridge State School. We visited both and let my daughter choose which she preferred. There is also a private school St Josephs and think fees are roughly $2,000 per year for primary school. Re high schools there is Bracken Ridge State High school which is just outside of Bracken Ridge (its actually in Brighton) and Sandgate State High School is fairly near. A private high school is St Johns Fischer (all girls school) we visited them as looking at options but they seemed more interested in turning out young ladies than academic and results werent great but I'm still learning about OP (overall percentage) for high schools so not best person for this yet. There are some rentals for 350 probably will be 3 bed or you might be lucky and find a 4 bed for that but may not be great. have a look on realestate.com.au they have all the current listings for rentals.

Sam

thank you sam ,i here yeh

Excellent post thanks for the informative read.

I too would love to know about the nurse training, I would be a ..... 'mature' student..lol

How does it all fit in around the family,does it cost much and as I have not done any studying for ummm 1,2,3,4,5 lost count !! years, would I need to do a year of whatever before starting do you think?? How are you finding doing it....So many questions but shall stop there !

Hi I'm studying for the enrolled endorsed nurse which is an 18 month course at TAFE. North Brisbane Tafe is Caboolture campus. There is this option or RN which I plan to do afterwards. This will allow me to work while still studying whereas the RN is 3 years full time. The scope of practice is different where I wouldnt be able to insert a catheter but I can remove it and I wouldnt be able to insert IV drip but I can put medication through it. I applied through QTAC just google it and you will find more information on there. I had to do a 5 page essay on life skills as I didnt have a year 12 certificate here or A levels which I could have used to gain entry onto the course in the normal manner. QTAC deal with all the assessing of prior recognition of learning etc. I gained entry by work experience and life skills. They give you a percentage ranking and I think it was 72 rank to get on the course but with the essay I did and life skills gave me about 160 points so its easily achieved. You can also do a STAT exam if you wish but I didnt want to do this as I thought the questions looked hard and I havent studied for years. The cost of the course is $2700 for each semester 3 of them in total for the course and a book list which you can buy 2nd hand books to cut the cost down. I go 1/2 day Monday, full day Tuesday and Wednesday and 9 - 12 on Thursdays for clinical lab skills (practical tests in a makeshift ward with mannequins that we work on). I find it ok as it mostly fits around school hours except for Tues and Wed pm. I use after school child care. If you get centrelink (like family allowance and tax credits in UK) you can claim some of the cost back for childcare if you are studying so all in all it works out well. If you do the EEN course you will get automatic entry onto the RN course. You can study the RN element at QUT (Queensland University Technology) they have a campus near Brisbane CBD or one at Caboolture too. There is the Australian Catholic University as well which is near to me at Banyo. The course is mostly competency based but there are examinations and for this semester there is about 9 exams and a class presentation which I'm dreading but you work in groups of 3. You also get to go on clinical placement for 3 weeks each semester. Also BNIT is the Brisbane North Institute of Tafe if you google them and put in the search nursing courses they will come up there. I'll also mention you need certain immunisations such as Hep B, Rubella, Measles, Mumps, Pertussis and need to get a police check $43 and blue card which TAFE pay for.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sam

So, sounds like you are handling it all well. How about kids holidays, or does the college have holidays too? And jobs after? what is the score on that,pay,hours and how easy is it to get one? What do you plan to do when you have finished and do you think you will find something to again,fit in with the kids?

I can't thank you enough for all this info. xxx

The TAFE has same hols as children give or take a day for things like pupil free day but you could just not go if you were stuck and get someone to get handouts for you. Saying that with the clinical placement they have stuck it right in the kids holidays which has proved a hassle for me with childcare as no family here but husband managed to work from home for a few days out of each week and a very good friend is helping me out the other days. Re jobs I think there are a few going not as many as RN jobs as they are in high demand but I'm hopeful of finding a job easily. Re pay its about 48,000 plus extras for shift allowances etc so it might bumpt it up to 55k which isnt brilliant but if second income and you are happy with your job then its ok. I aim to do the RN as this is obviously better pay at about 68 - 75 plus allowances. I'm hopeful to find something to fit in with children but dont think it will be possible and I may have to use after school care or before school care but I'd have had to do that in UK really if working f/t. Either that or I will look to work nights and allowances are more on top of hourly rate and I could still study for the RN qualification and work it round school. I would only look to work 2 nights if I was studying and working at the same time with family. Will see tho. I try not to think about it as know it will be hard work.

Just reading through these posts, they have answered most of my questions, thank you.... we are also looking at Bracken Ridge and hoping to arrive in November. I have e-mailed Bracken Ridge High school for my 15 year old, they informed me once I arrive or have a date set they will arrange an interview with us and we will be able to get a place for her...delighted with this but wondering has anyone any experience with this school? I also mailed Norris Roadfor my younger two but awaiting a reply from them.

I was a little worried about the area as I read a few bad reviews. I will avoid the north side when I start house hunting.

Thanks everyone for all your helpful posts

Guest hannash
Just reading through these posts, they have answered most of my questions, thank you.... we are also looking at Bracken Ridge and hoping to arrive in November. I have e-mailed Bracken Ridge High school for my 15 year old, they informed me once I arrive or have a date set they will arrange an interview with us and we will be able to get a place for her...delighted with this but wondering has anyone any experience with this school? I also mailed Norris Roadfor my younger two but awaiting a reply from them.

I was a little worried about the area as I read a few bad reviews. I will avoid the north side when I start house hunting.

Thanks everyone for all your helpful posts

hey gincom i also have e-mailed norris roed ps twice but i did not get a reply ,,can i ask you where did you here the bad reports about and how bad is bad:unsure:

PS I'm a mature student at 36 ha ha but saying that half the woman are about my age or older. Only a handful are young

Hi Sam

thank you so much, i am 38 so glad to know its not all youngsters !! and that there seem to be different ways to approach it. We are not sure where we will be all depends on if we sell our house soon or if my husband gets a job first(aircraft engineer)

I am a chef but do not want to go back to that our girls are 7,10 and 12 so i feel its time for me !!

it will be so much easier as at least i will be dealing with home work in english!!!

most doubts with people are about missing things from the UK which do not count for us tesco and asda are a thing of the past !

thankyou again and good luck with the course

julie x:biggrin:

Guest Francine

What a useful post. We are moving over next year with 3 kids who will be 6, 3 and 1. What help do you get financially from centrelink? Is it like family allowance? Can you get help with childcare costs?

hey gincom i also have e-mailed norris roed ps twice but i did not get a reply ,,can i ask you where did you here the bad reports about and how bad is bad:unsure:

Hi there,

I read the reviews on the realestate.com.au website..the reviews were fairly mixed but the bad reports were of groups of young people moving into one house, having very late night parties, youngsters driving fast through the area with those noisy things over their exhaust's mainly stuff like that, others said they loved it, lived there years without any trouble. I suppose once you go to view the house you can get a good idea yourself...

When are you heading over. I am trying to organise everything now, wondering whether to ship or not, trying to organise short term accom. that doesnt cost a fortune, I am currently looking at ashmore holiday park, that is the best I have seen so far, anyone have any other suggestions please. There is five of us so it is working out quite expensive.

Hi there,

I read the reviews on the realestate.com.au website..the reviews were fairly mixed but the bad reports were of groups of young people moving into one house, having very late night parties, youngsters driving fast through the area with those noisy things over their exhaust's mainly stuff like that, others said they loved it, lived there years without any trouble. I suppose once you go to view the house you can get a good idea yourself...

When are you heading over. I am trying to organise everything now, wondering whether to ship or not, trying to organise short term accom. that doesnt cost a fortune, I am currently looking at ashmore holiday park, that is the best I have seen so far, anyone have any other suggestions please. There is five of us so it is working out quite expensive.

ok gincom i here you were supposed to be going over after xmas ,,were trying to organise everything now also,, we had shippers out last week and all loking around 4000 for a 20 foot and 6500 for a 40 foot ,we are looking at brisbane holiday village for short term ,,ashmore was a wee bit cheaper but there was more to do for kids in b h v ,,it is 2000 dollars for a month:unsure:

• 1 month later...
ok gincom i here you were supposed to be going over after xmas ,,were trying to organise everything now also,, we had shippers out last week and all loking around 4000 for a 20 foot and 6500 for a 40 foot ,we are looking at brisbane holiday village for short term ,,ashmore was a wee bit cheaper but there was more to do for kids in b h v ,,it is 2000 dollars for a month:unsure:

Hi sorry I'm only getting back to you now, I havn't been on this in a while. We wanted to stay in the Brisbane Holiday Village but it was booked out for the dates we wanted so had to go with Ashmore. We are booked in there for 28 nights $395 a week which is a bargain.

We used McGimpsey Brothers(Removals) for the shipping, the cost for a 20 ft container was £3800, we only needed 620 sq ft which was £2800. Flights came in at €3150 for the 5 of us 3 adults and 2 children with Cathy Pacific airways, we fly over the 4th of jan :jiggy:

When are you heading over? What area are you hoping to settle in?

We are renting our house out and need certs for everything so I'm so stressed now trying to pull everything together but the thought of being there is getting me through it...

Guest hannash
Hi sorry I'm only getting back to you now, I havn't been on this in a while. We wanted to stay in the Brisbane Holiday Village but it was booked out for the dates we wanted so had to go with Ashmore. We are booked in there for 28 nights $395 a week which is a bargain.

We used McGimpsey Brothers(Removals) for the shipping, the cost for a 20 ft container was £3800, we only needed 620 sq ft which was £2800. Flights came in at €3150 for the 5 of us 3 adults and 2 children with Cathy Pacific airways, we fly over the 4th of jan :jiggy:

When are you heading over? What area are you hoping to settle in?

We are renting our house out and need certs for everything so I'm so stressed now trying to pull everything together but the thought of being there is getting me through it...

it looks like we are going to have to validate ,i havnt been working at all and most of our savings have gone ,if we go now well be spending everything we have to land in brisbane .....the vulnerability of that scares the hell out of us ,,,,we realy need some money as a saftey net even only about 6-8ooo oz dollars ,,as it is... shipping all our furnature and start up costs will more or less leave us with nothing ,,,:unsure:thats more or less it ....circumstances in our house have changed dramatically ,,,,and then the amount of debt we would have over there because would need a full mortgage dosnt help ,,,we would have no breathing space for years ,,,,,cracking up big time

it looks like we are going to have to validate ,i havnt been working at all and most of our savings have gone ,if we go now well be spending everything we have to land in brisbane .....the vulnerability of that scares the hell out of us ,,,,we realy need some money as a saftey net even only about 6-8ooo oz dollars ,,as it is... shipping all our furnature and start up costs will more or less leave us with nothing ,,,:unsure:thats more or less it ....circumstances in our house have changed dramatically ,,,,and then the amount of debt we would have over there because would need a full mortgage dosnt help ,,,we would have no breathing space for years ,,,,,cracking up big time

I feel it for you, sick of hearing the same story from people, it does cost so much to relocate and set up over there, it will clean us out of our savings but hopefully we will be able to build it back up in the first few years...

I have a few friends that went without furniture and just bought cheap stuff, she said people have garage sales and they picked up most of their stuff there. I'm a firm beleiver of if theres a will theres a way....

I really hope you can sort out a way to get over, it's such a long process getting the visa for you not to go in the end..

Best of luck xx

Guest hannash
I feel it for you, sick of hearing the same story from people, it does cost so much to relocate and set up over there, it will clean us out of our savings but hopefully we will be able to build it back up in the first few years...

I have a few friends that went without furniture and just bought cheap stuff, she said people have garage sales and they picked up most of their stuff there. I'm a firm beleiver of if theres a will theres a way....

I really hope you can sort out a way to get over, it's such a long process getting the visa for you not to go in the end..

Best of luck xx

hey gin what will use be working at

• 5 weeks later...

Great info thanks. We are moving to Brisbane and fly on 2nd April!! Hoping to settle in Cleveland area as that is where my job is - i'm a midwife. We have a 175 visa, my husband is a plasterer but also a qualified bricky, we have two children, george 7 and a Katie 4. i feel much better after reading the above, sometimes i am so scared, what if my husband finds no work, what if we hate it etc. But actually am really excited as are the children.

Sam x

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Just wanted to thank you for such an informative and balanced post. It is good to hear about both the highs and lows of a move to Australia. It sounds like you have had great support from your fellow PIO members which is lovely to hear and comforting for those who might need to seek similar support upon their move.

Have a fantastic life in Aus! x

Hi, great post

I was hoping you wouldn't mind me asking a personal question??? :unsure:feel free to tell me to mind my own :nah:

You say that your husband is on a average wage....what do you call average???

we are hoping to move to Queensland and I am worried about costs as we would be going on a 457 so we wouldnt receive any benefits etc...

Our children are 4, 2 & 1 so I wouldn't be working straight away.

Sorry for being cheeky:tongue:

Archived