Liars, lazy or sh7t stirrers?

tracy123

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really dont care how expensive toilet roll or a packet of pasta is or that I have to pay a bit more for English recipe baked beans! I just look at the bigger picture, what we earn, what we can afford to buy after the essentials and its a hell of a lot more in Melbourne than Northern Ireland! I know its important to look at these things before you come here to get some idea of how much cost of living will be. I dont mean to offend anyone but if you are living here and still checking tescos online for current prices to compare, why?

Guest siamsusie
I really dont care how expensive toilet roll or a packet of pasta is or that I have to pay a bit more for English recipe baked beans! I just look at the bigger picture, what we earn, what we can afford to buy after the essentials and its a hell of a lot more in Melbourne than Northern Ireland! I know its important to look at these things before you come here to get some idea of how much cost of living will be. I dont mean to offend anyone but if you are living here and still checking tescos online for current prices to compare, why?

I couldnt agree more Danny and I find the quality far superior as well ! If Northern Ireland is expensive, the south must be prohibitive... one of my closest friends in Dublin is scathing about the cost of living and cuts there.

I do a shop every fortnight with Tesco on line for a family member I dont really see a massive difference tbh apart from grog.

Susie x

Guest siamsusie
i love cheap butter

You were in Ireland were you not Shark, how did you find it there as a family man? expensive? Are you still planning to come to Australia? and if so have you decided on a place to settle yet?

You were in Ireland were you not Shark, how did you find it there as a family man? expensive? Are you still planning to come to Australia? and if so have you decided on a place to settle yet?
its very expensive in Ireland ,it is one off the most expensive places to live in Europe ,in some cases up to 50%more dearer than the uk ,but did not but us off moving to Ireland and living there ,its one off the nicest places i have ever been ,feck all crime ,friendly people ,and lots off open spaces ,and some of the best beaches in Europe brilliant place for young kids to be brought up,but sadly the the country is in a mess with the downturn ,and the is no work here and the as been huge wage cuts across the public sector etc so sadly we could not afford to live the there so had to move back to the uk.and yes we are still coming to oz ,we are just waiting our houses been sold ,and than we are heading to qld .

I will accept Tracy's version of the price of loo rolls! Loose paper on a soggy bit of cardboard versus Quilton Long Sheets incoporating a free chrome lop roll holder... sheer class!

Welcome back Geoff good to see you back on line.

Susie x

And scented...And soft on the nether regions...

Bum.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Salaries are 30% more here and everything is 40% more expensive than the UK, Decent cars are 3 times the price, I mean 25k AUD for the same 8 year old BMW i had in the UK and sold for 2k GBP, Property prices here in sydney are a joke however,

UK meats:

4 x T-Bone Steaks, min weight 1.8kg (individually packed)

Our Price:£25.99=$46

Related Products

10-x-boneless-pork-loin-chops-14-p%5Bekm%5D67x80%5Bekm%5D.jpg10 X Boneless Pork Loin Chops

£16.9910-x-chinese-flavored-boneless-pork-loin-chops-58-p%5Bekm%5D67x80%5Bekm%5D.jpg10 X Chinese Flavored Boneless Pork Loin Chops

£17.9910 X Hot & Spicey Flavored Boneless Pork Loin Chops

£17.9910x Minted Loin of Lamb chops

£18.9910x-prime-loin-of-lamb-chops-38-p%5Bekm%5D117x80%5Bekm%5D.jpg10x Prime Loin of Lamb chops

£17.9912 x Belly Pork Slices

£9.9915-x-chicken-drumsticks-74-p%5Bekm%5D80x80%5Bekm%5D.jpg15 X Chicken Drumsticks

£9.9915 x Meaty Chinese Pork Ribs

£11.9916-x-fresh-boneless-chicken-fillets-77-p%5Bekm%5D75x80%5Bekm%5D.bmp16 x Fresh Boneless Chicken Fillets

£19.9920x Minted Loin of Lamb chops

£29.994 X Fillet Steak

£24.994-x-sirloin-steak-11-p%5Bekm%5D83x80%5Bekm%5D.jpg4 X Sirloin Steak

£21.996-x-prime-rib-eye-steaks-44-p%5Bekm%5D106x80%5Bekm%5D.jpg6 x Prime Rib Eye Steaks

£28.996 X Rump Steak (SPECIAL OFFER)

£19.998-x-fresh-boneless-chicken-fillets-9-p%5Bekm%5D75x80%5Bekm%5D.bmp8 x Fresh Boneless Chicken Fillets

£14.999 x Peppered BBQ Minute Steaks (SPECIAL OFFER)

£10.99Award Winning Pork Sausages (FAMILY PACK)

£14.99Crucial Sauces 500ml

£1.99diced-chicken-breast-76-p%5Bekm%5D88x80%5Bekm%5D.jpgDiced Chicken Breast

£9.99Marinated Boneless Chicken Fillets

£16.00

Versus Australian meat:

Micks%20Tender%20Rump.JPG&Width=146&Height=108&Scale=True&Shadow=True&Background=ffffff Mick's Tender Rump @ $19.99 per kg

1 x 500 gram Mick's Tender Rump

Price $10.00

Eye Fillet (Whole) @ $29.99 per kg

1 x 1.5 kg Eye Fillet (Whole)

Price $45.00

Rib Fillet - Mick's Own Scotch Fillet (whole) @ $27.99 per kg

1 x 2kg Rib Fillet - Mick's Own Scotch Fillet (whole)

Price $56.00

Rib Fillet - Mick's Own Scotch Fillet (portions) @ $29.99 per kg

2 x 200 gram portions Rib Fillet - Mick's Own Scotch Fillet

Price $12.00

Sirloin.JPG&Width=146&Height=108&Scale=True&Shadow=True&Background=ffffff Sirloin Steak - New York Cut (portion) @ $27.99 per kg

2 x 300 gram portions Sirloin Steak - New York Cut

Price $16.80

T-Bone.JPG&Width=146&Height=108&Scale=True&Shadow=True&Background=ffffff T-Bone Steak - Mick's Own (portion) @ $18.99 per kg

2 x 300 gram T-Bone Steaks - Mick's Own

Price $11.40

T-Bone.JPG&Width=146&Height=108&Scale=True&Shadow=True&Background=ffffff Stockman's T-Bone Steak (grain fed) @ $18.99 per kg

2 x 450 gram Stockman's T-Bone Steaks (grain fed)

Price $17.00=£10.50

Rolled Beef Roast (2.0 kilo) @ $7.99 per kg

1 x 2kg Rolled Beef Roast

Price $16.00

Rolled Beef Roast (1.0 kilo) @ $8.99 per kg

1 x 1kg Rolled Beef Roast

Price $9.00

Y-Bone Steak - Mick

1 kg (approx 4 steaks) of Y-Bone Steak - Mick's Own

Price $10.00

Cheers, Bobj.

I find it expensive initially when arriving as more dollars to a pound but since being here find it even keel. Some things more expensive and some things less. Find I buy more clothes here than I did in UK and sometimes fruit gets expensive and then goes down again so must be seasonal and floods not helping costs of food stuff at the moment. Am in Qld

Sam

Guest famousfive

Ya had to post this just as I was starting to feel peckish,stupid bloomin' salad isn't going to touch the sides now is it!!!Oh well,slab of meat it is then.

Guest chris955

Depends where you shop, those prices quoted in Bob's post are from one place and seem pretty expensive. Same as here really, you have to shop around.

hi tracy 123

Don't consider myself any one of your three choices.

I think a lot depends on where your income comes from.

we left the UK nearly 4 years ago now when the exchange rate was about $2.5AU/GBP, and our frozen UK pensions were quite adequate, now at about $1.6/GBP it is not so. In the nearly 4 years since arriving we are losing almost 1$ for every pound of our pensions from the UK.

An example of how that affects us. A cup of coffee in Au was less than GBP1.25 now the same cup of coffee costs about GBP2.20.

So I believe that things have gone up but only reletive to the exchange rate.

Do I keep on about it?.....NO,

Do we regret our decision to come here?....NO

One big advantage is that our capital here is earning 6% +, whereas any savings in the UK are earning probably less than half that.

For people who are in our position the only hope is that one day the Au$/GBP rate would go back to the 2007 levels, then we might be able to say that Australia isn't expensive.

Welcome back

Mike

Yep they are going up fair call, but Aus seems to be going up way faster, Just look at housing, hate to tell me..............Oh you shouldn't lol.

At least here, over the last few years salaries have gone up a bit too. I read on line a couple of days ago a speech from the bank of England governor. (Bank of England chief Mervyn King: standard of living to plunge at fastest rate since 1920s)

Bank of England chief Mervyn King: standard of living to plunge at fastest rate since 1920s - Telegraph

A couple of quotes here

"Disposable household income has been hit by sharp increases in the cost of food, fuel and tax, coupled with restricted wage rises for most workers. Last year, take-home pay fell by about 12 per cent, official figures showed, and the trend was expected to continue in 2011."

and

“In 2011, real wages are likely to be no higher than they were in 2005,” he said. “One has to go back to the 1920s to find a time when real wages fell over a period of six years."

I don't believe that's been the case in Aus.

When real wages decrease there is only so much money to go around. Stands to reason things have got to become cheaper, including house prices.

If the same economic situation happens here no doubt things would have to start getting cheaper too. I see no signs of the Australian economy faltering though. Maybe we are the "lucky country" after all.

I see Myer has released some bad figures in the last couple of days so people are starting to tighten their belts. There are also a lot more houses for sale than, say, a year ago and the'yre taking longer to move and hence are slowly coming down in price.

I've seen the cost of living between here and the UK almost swap places in the last 20 years. Could be it will swap back in the next 20 but I know where I would much rather be. Cost of living is only one part of the equation.

Depends where you shop, those prices quoted in Bob's post are from one place and seem pretty expensive. Same as here really, you have to shop around.

Ok then:

Aubrey's Beef T-Bone Steaks Online

Buy T-bone Steak online-buy fresh t-bone steaks-delivery uk

Buy T-Bone Steak Online | Glenlyon Gourmet

http://www.sunriseorganics.co.uk/meat_prices/local_meat_price_list.pdf

16oz T-Bone Steak

I did shop around...:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest guest30038
Bigger, better and more moo cows...:laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

And they'd rather have 'em sell cheap than hang onto 'em and have 'em either drown or die of thirst :biglaugh:

its very expensive in Ireland ,it is one off the most expensive places to live in Europe ,in some cases up to 50%more dearer than the uk ,but did not but us off moving to Ireland and living there ,its one off the nicest places i have ever been ,feck all crime ,friendly people ,and lots off open spaces ,and some of the best beaches in Europe brilliant place for young kids to be brought up,but sadly the the country is in a mess with the downturn ,and the is no work here and the as been huge wage cuts across the public sector etc so sadly we could not afford to live the there so had to move back to the uk.and yes we are still coming to oz ,we are just waiting our houses been sold ,and than we are heading to qld .

Ireland is stunning shark and one of the nicest bunch of people in the world.

Salaries are 30% more here and everything is 40% more expensive than the UK, Decent cars are 3 times the price, I mean 25k AUD for the same 8 year old BMW i had in the UK and sold for 2k GBP, Property prices here in sydney are a joke however,

Second hand cars ar mental prices in Oz, I bought a 2 year old ford zetec for £3,880 at a london auction and sold it for £4.600 :cute: just use my bike now.

Mental prices there bobj, I just go to Smithfiels market in london and get my meats for a quarter of them prices :jiggy:

Mental prices there bobj, I just go to Smithfiels market in london and get my meats for a quarter of them prices :jiggy:

Do all the 60 million people in the UK do that, too, or do they have to shop elsewhere??

Cheers, Bobj.

Archived