Liars, lazy or sh7t stirrers?

tracy123

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Just an afterthought..................

the dollar has been known to zoom up to highs of nearly $3 to £1, so................

just for discussion sake if you use the current exchange rate of $1.55 and try to work out the costs of everything in Australia, things ARE REALLY DEAR.

move forward 6 months, Australia might have gone into a financial slump and the uk has eventually come out of the 3 year recession and................. the dollar has gone up to .................... $2.65, things ARE REALLY CHEAP.

Everything has stayed the same price in Australia, the only thing that has changed is the exchange rate.

You see what i mean? You will be earning dollars not pounds. Hope this helps.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So anyway...which is the more expensive place to live? All I know is I couldnt afford to buy a 4 bedroomed house in the UK and I can here so thats good enough for me.

That's why it's a subjective thing. Some people earn more in Australia, but find they can't afford the standard of living they had in the Uk and others find the opposite. A lot depends on where you lived in the UK and where you live in Australia.

My oh will take a paycut if he comes back to the UK, but the type house we can afford here is much better than what we could have in Melbourne (where we'd have to live for his work). Our school fees here are lower than we paid in Sydney and the extra curricular things our girls do are cheaper here. OUR household bills are less expensive here -others find it's the other way around.

I don't think others are wrong when they find the opposite is true. We all come from different parts of the UK and move to different parts of Australia. None of us live the same lives or have the same expectations.

What makes Australia expensive or not as the case may be is the percentage of your income that goes towards essential living expenses.

Housing costs rent \ mortgage, utilities, food, transport for work.

For most workers with no equity arriving in Australia today a higher percentage of their Australian income is going towards essential housing costs than those arriving a few years ago.

You have to do your own research as to what you are likely to earn in your trade.

Not all trades are paid more in Australia than the U.K my trade is paid about the same give or take

10%.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

This is a good point caramac.

Different areas are a factor in the cost of living in both countries and the closer to the city or beach, the higher the cost of a house. When we were in Brisbane april last year, we checked out the price of things on what our wages in each country were, the exchange rate killed us while we were there visiting and our pounds didn't go far at all, but our dollars from our wages we would earn, we worked out the cost of living was similar, if anything slightly dearer overall in...................... Australia.

That's why it's a subjective thing. Some people earn more in Australia, but find they can't afford the standard of living they had in the Uk and others find the opposite. A lot depends on where you lived in the UK and where you live in Australia.

My oh will take a paycut if he comes back to the UK, but the type house we can afford here is much better than what we could have in Melbourne (where we'd have to live for his work). Our school fees here are lower than we paid in Sydney and the extra curricular things our girls do are cheaper here. OUR household bills are less expensive here -others find it's the other way around.

I don't think others are wrong when they find the opposite is true. We all come from different parts of the UK and move to different parts of Australia. None of us live the same lives or have the same expectations.

That is so true.

I could buy a detached house with garden & garage in the nice part of the town I grew up in

For the same price as a terraced house in Buckinghamshire.

Housing is sooo expensive in Buckinghamshire even worse in London

Guest guest36187

I have to say we never looked at exchange rate to be honest. Earning dollars, spending dollars. Standard of life and quality of life does not always revolve around how much money you have.

I have to say we never looked at exchange rate to be honest. Earning dollars, spending dollars. Standard of life and quality of life does not always revolve around how much money you have.

That's true for many people, but for some not being able to do what they enjoy because of lack of money does mean their quality and standard of living is lower.

A friend of mine loves going to the theatre and spends a lot of money going down to London to see anything that's on. If she moved somewhere that meant she could no longer afford it, she'd think her quality of life had dropped. I like walking which I can do anywhere for free, so I wouldn't find a drop in salary would impact so much on my life and means I can live anywhere and be happy.

We didn't look at the exchange rate when we first moved to Australia because we had nothing to lose financially, but for others who have a lot to lose it does matter. It matters to us now because my oh lives and works in Australia and sends money here for us. It's only because the exchange rate is working in our favour at the moment that we can do this. If it were to change dramatically we would have to think again.

I agree that money doesn't make you happier, but for some there has to be enough to maintain the quality of life they're used to.

Guest itskaren

I have survived being 'banned'' and 5 points (whatever that is!!!) for apparently being insulting to another member!! And yet we can be called ''Liars, lazy and sh1t stirrers!!'' I worry about the mental health of people on this forum. Quite sad really ...

It's a funny old world

No Karen you are mistaken. I have just had a look at your page and you recieved 5 points, thats not 5 points and a ban, its 5 points totalling a suspension,,, so lets not be exagerating now.

I think you will also find the title of this thread is NOT aimed at a paticular person unlike your comments were, hence you recieved an infraction for insulting a member as per the forum guidelines / rules you agreed to when you joined the forum.

Cal x

The simple fact is you can make Australia as expensive or as cheap as you want! You can head down to K-Mart and buy a $9 toaster and kettle or spend a few hundred on one it's up to you. Some on here like to point out how expensive Australia is, well it's not. If you shop wisely you can save yourself $100's of dollars a week/month if you shop smart.

My brother is lazy he does his whole shop in Coles, he would rather spend more in Coles as he finds his time worth more than saving a dollar here and there! but at the same time he doesn't whinge because he knows he can buy it cheaper if he really wanted too.

I agree things on the face of it seem dear but if you take the time to look around there are bargins. Being lazy isn't a bad thing it's where you put your importance on things, but if you would rather do a whole shop in coles/safeway etc at least agree that you could buy cheaper if you so wished rather than a blanket ban that Australia is expensive!!!!!!

I bought a kilo of fresh lychees today for $5 (that's 2 quid in old money) - boy, did they taste good.

I also bought a bag of onions for $6 - they did n't taste as good as the lychees raw. So I pot roast them with 2 kilos of silverside for $10. Lovely. Then I noticed they were ORGANIC onions. I had been had. After 4 hours at 140 degrees they tasted bloody good though.

I've also been on Grays tonight and bought 12 bottles of qulaity Mclaren Vale shiraz for $61.

Anyway. I am still wondering how Geoff's $3 thongs are getting on????

Guest siamsusie
I bought a kilo of fresh lychees today for $5 (that's 2 quid in old money) - boy, did they taste good.

I also bought a bag of onions for $6 - they did n't taste as good as the lychees raw. So I pot roast them with 2 kilos of silverside for $10. Lovely. Then I noticed they were ORGANIC onions. I had been had. After 4 hours at 140 degrees they tasted bloody good though.

I've also been on Grays tonight and bought 12 bottles of qulaity Mclaren Vale shiraz for $61.

T'was you that introduced me to Grays indirectly... Mr Siam was pretty shocked at the 10 boxes of grog that were waiting for him at the post office but it is an excellent website, and some delicious Port @ $2.50 a bottle.. well you cant go wrong:tongue: Thanks Flea.

Susie xxxx

Guest guest30038

Fray Bentos pies are dear and crap, but I won't be going to the UK to get a decent one :nah:

Was this you Geoff? :biglaugh:

830021242432512.jpg

T'was you that introduced me to Grays indirectly... Mr Siam was pretty shocked at the 10 boxes of grog that were waiting for him at the post office but it is an excellent website, and some delicious Port @ $2.50 a bottle.. well you cant go wrong:tongue: Thanks Flea.

Susie xxxx

Yes - I have bought some great stuff from Grays. There are good quality whites available that ARE CHEAPER THAN SOME VARIETIES OF MINERAL WATER.:fish2:

I prefer to brew my own beer though.

Hope you enjoy!

Sorry mate still going strong! Tracy wants to buy a $40 pair!!!! :swoon: She thinks we live in Toorak

Guest sh7t man no way

ive had a look at most of the pros,and cons on this thread--but im still of the view australia is a far more expensive place to live rather than the uk--i must say though there are many well reasoned views on this thread--which i feel adds to peoples reasearch on australia--well done:wubclub:

Fray Bentos pies are dear and crap, but I won't be going to the UK to get a decent one :nah:

Was this you Geoff? :biglaugh:

830021242432512.jpg

No mate.

Coke cola cans are on sale at coles under 50 cents a can!!! Bloody hell things are dear here.

this is me

3991882705_88d0faa134.jpg

Guest guest30038
No mate.

Coke cola cans are on sale at coles under 50 cents a can!!! Bloody hell things are dear here.

this is me

3991882705_88d0faa134.jpg

My oh my!.................You've got a big one! :biglaugh:

Guest itskaren
No Karen you are mistaken. I have just had a look at your page and you recieved 5 points, thats not 5 points and a ban, its 5 points totalling a suspension,,, so lets not be exagerating now.

I think you will also find the title of this thread is NOT aimed at a paticular person unlike your comments were, hence you recieved an infraction for insulting a member as per the forum guidelines / rules you agreed to when you joined the forum.

Cal x

A suspension or ban or 3 days what the frig does it matter??

I still find it offensive. and thanks for reminding me the forum guidelines ... I didn't realise that ... not

Guest itskaren
The simple fact is you can make Australia as expensive or as cheap as you want! You can head down to K-Mart and buy a $9 toaster and kettle or spend a few hundred on one it's up to you. Some on here like to point out how expensive Australia is, well it's not. If you shop wisely you can save yourself $100's of dollars a week/month if you shop smart.

My brother is lazy he does his whole shop in Coles, he would rather spend more in Coles as he finds his time worth more than saving a dollar here and there! but at the same time he doesn't whinge because he knows he can buy it cheaper if he really wanted too.

I agree things on the face of it seem dear but if you take the time to look around there are bargins. Being lazy isn't a bad thing it's where you put your importance on things, but if you would rather do a whole shop in coles/safeway etc at least agree that you could buy cheaper if you so wished rather than a blanket ban that Australia is expensive!!!!!!

Your origninal comments are offensive!:arghh:

Archived