What are you looking forward to most ?

Guest chris955

Guest chris955

I never thought I would say this but I am actually looking forward to shopping, while back in the UK recently I was absolutely amazed at the choice and prices and I must admit I will enjoy shopping......for awhile anyway :)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sure it gets warm though nothing that a cold drink or cold shower can't take care of.

Wow I noticed you are in Brisbane too, I can't believe you have posted today that its not too warm!!! I'm suffering and wishing we had ac or ceiling fans. I can't wait for the temperature and humidity to drop off - its 30deg in my house now at 9pm ugh!

I assume Michelle is near the coast, we are suffering the same here, still stinking hot with little or no breeze.

Nope, we are inland in Coorparoo with a lovely breeze going through the house. Guess a lot of it is down to the style of house (Queenslander), the undulating landscape and the fact that we have a reasonably large block which allows the air to circulate around it.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Nope, we are inland in Coorparoo with a lovely breeze going through the house. Guess a lot of it is down to the style of house (Queenslander), the undulating landscape and the fact that we have a reasonably large block which allows the air to circulate around it.

Sounds fantastic gal

will it get rid of frost bite? :laugh:

any suggestions for frosty bum syndrome?:shocked::cry:

Guest famousfive

More things I am looking forward to-

Going around to see the xmas lights with the kids before it's late and they are grumpy

Getting dressed up for Halloween[still going strong at home]

12 candle night and ladies xmas on the 5th and 6th january,love the old tradition

Seeing my great-niece for the first time

The big dinner I know Mom will have waiting for us

The ferry home with hopefully the dolphins alongside

The smell of an open fire

The local festival that costs nothing

The animals in the fields

The spur of the moment music sessions down the local

The weekends away that actually gets you to a different country

No pokies in the pubs

Seasons

Not constantly hearing about the weather

Not having kids[mine included] at every flippin social event

Still bright at 11pm mid-summer

The feeling of belonging and actually 'getting it'

A evening walk in light rain that is refreshing but not drenching

Winter clothes

No humidity

Most of all I am looking forward to that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you know you are where you want to be.

Guest chris955

Something that occured to me while looking through some photo's of my trip was that I recall a few people commenting on how dirty the UK was, I know some will say predictably I didn't agree. This is the main shopping square in Bath, I defy you to see even the smallest scrap of litter in this photo. I have many many photo's and there is no rubbish in any of them, not selective photography I just didn't see it until I got up North to Doncaster.

DSC_01523_resize.jpg

Guest guest30038
Will you please stop banging on about your brilliant pool which i was swimming in

How many times did you pee in it Hoffmeister? It's taken me 12 months, 20 litres of chlorine and 18 bags of salt to sort it out :arghh: :wink:

Just got out of it now........................nothing like a skinny dip when the missus get's home from a late, but not tonight. Late shift and they've asked her to work through till tomorrow morning in ICU. All the extra patients that they shipped down from Cairns.

kev

When we eventually move back, I am looking forward to:

being with our wonderful family again

the sense of belonging

the beautiful countryside including some superb beaches

the birdsong in the mornings

proper seasons

M & S food

cheap books and CD-s

lovely little florists to pick up a little posy

proper Christmas in the winter

TV

online shopping

sipping hot chocolate or mulled wine when going for a late autumn picnic

picking ivy and holly from the woods to make a xmas wreath

Chelesa flower show in London

village pubs

hearing the churchbell

history and amazing architecture

proper fish & chips

spending xmas with our family

open fire at my in-laws place whilst drinking sherry

long summer evenings

cottage gardens

ice skating at Somerset House in London at New Years Eve

visiting the Scottish Highlands again

camping on the Isle of Wight

I could go on and on and probably will add more if I missed out any.

When we eventually move back, I am looking forward to:

being with our wonderful family again

the sense of belonging

the beautiful countryside including some superb beaches

the birdsong in the mornings

proper seasons

M & S food

cheap books and CD-s

lovely little florists to pick up a little posy

proper Christmas in the winter

TV

online shopping

sipping hot chocolate or mulled wine when going for a late autumn picnic

picking ivy and holly from the woods to make a xmas wreath

Chelesa flower show in London

village pubs

hearing the churchbell

history and amazing architecture

proper fish & chips

spending xmas with our family

open fire at my in-laws place whilst drinking sherry

long summer evenings

cottage gardens

ice skating at Somerset House in London at New Years Eve

visiting the Scottish Highlands again

camping on the Isle of Wight

I could go on and on and probably will add more if I missed out any.

To add to the above.

Walking through the woods when the bluebells are out.

[ATTACH]2699[/ATTACH]

Guest guest30038

The smell of donkey shlt on the beach at blackpool or a nice steamin' farm midden (truly!)

Well my dreams are shattered.................no more of this as I'm told the poor buggers have to wear a bumbag now to catch their poop :goofy: :shocked:

donkey_2.jpg

What's exciting for me is, I remember doing a list like this a while back, but the title was things you miss about the UK, now it's things I'm looking forward to :-) Anyway in no particular order (this could be long!)

Family & Friends and being able to call them whenever I want to or just pop in!

The Seasons, I just love the changing seasons and everything they bring.

Pubs, I mean 'proper' pubs, not bars with rows and rows of 'pokies', Pubs with history characher and soul and...

Real beer, proper Yorkshire Bitter, and decent Guinness.

Decent clothes shops for men, I used to love clothes shopping but here it's just a chore and soooo expensive.

Being able to wear proper stylish clothes, not just tshirt, shorts and bloody flip flops.

Christmas shopping in the winter in various different towns and cities which are all easily accessible.

Christmas in general with Family & Friends, christmas dinner, Pub crawls, real beer, hat and scalfs - bliss!

Sunday Roasts with Yorkshire Puddings.

The Yorkshire Dales

The Lake District

Saltaire

Leeds city centre

Decent Music Scene

Pork Pies

Scotch Eggs

Smoked Mackrel

Proper Curries at decent prices (the Karachi in Bradford is the best curry house in the world IMO!)

British TV

British Humour

Birds that don't squawrk at 7 in the morning

Feeling like I belong

Decent well built houses at a reasonable price!

Bonfire Night

there's probably loads more, but the thing I am mostly looking forward to is just feeling like I'm at home, something I havent felt for the last 2 years.

Guest chris955

It's funny, when you sit down and really think about the things you miss or are looking forward to the list for me at least is almost endless and for my wife even longer.

What's exciting for me is, I remember doing a list like this a while back, but the title was things you miss about the UK, now it's things I'm looking forward to :-) Anyway in no particular order (this could be long!)

Family & Friends and being able to call them whenever I want to or just pop in!

The Seasons, I just love the changing seasons and everything they bring.

Pubs, I mean 'proper' pubs, not bars with rows and rows of 'pokies', Pubs with history characher and soul and...

Real beer, proper Yorkshire Bitter, and decent Guinness.

Decent clothes shops for men, I used to love clothes shopping but here it's just a chore and soooo expensive.

Being able to wear proper stylish clothes, not just tshirt, shorts and bloody flip flops.

Christmas shopping in the winter in various different towns and cities which are all easily accessible.

Christmas in general with Family & Friends, christmas dinner, Pub crawls, real beer, hat and scalfs - bliss!

Sunday Roasts with Yorkshire Puddings.

The Yorkshire Dales

The Lake District

Saltaire

Leeds city centre

Decent Music Scene

Pork Pies

Scotch Eggs

Smoked Mackrel

Proper Curries at decent prices (the Karachi in Bradford is the best curry house in the world IMO!)

British TV

British Humour

Birds that don't squawrk at 7 in the morning

Feeling like I belong

Decent well built houses at a reasonable price!

Bonfire Night

there's probably loads more, but the thing I am mostly looking forward to is just feeling like I'm at home, something I havent felt for the last 2 years.

Hope you don't mind me hijacking your list..............but all of the above!

Something that occured to me while looking through some photo's of my trip was that I recall a few people commenting on how dirty the UK was, I know some will say predictably I didn't agree. This is the main shopping square in Bath, I defy you to see even the smallest scrap of litter in this photo. I have many many photo's and there is no rubbish in any of them, not selective photography I just didn't see it until I got up North to Doncaster.

DSC_01523_resize.jpg

No one should EVER have to go to Doncaster ever, ever, ever, ever ........

I had to go there on a bus once. It was late, I guess the driver panicked when he realised the destination. Fortunately, I was transitting on to Derby, which has lots of lovely pubs serving real ale. Something I do miss and look forward to sampling on my return, whenever that may be. I also miss M&S Dine in for 2 for a tenner deals and Argos. And lots of other things that people miss when they move away from somewhere, like when I moved back from Australia, I missed the nice weather, beaches, wildlife, etc.

Cheers.

Guest chris955

Having had to do it once believe me I wont be doing it again, it was like a different world compared to the other parts of the UK I went to.

Guest fragile36

Decent chips,balti houses,real pubs with the pub atmosphere,my town,medievel market town with a thousand year old castle,pint of real beer,sausages,them irish ones,motorsport that doesnt involve that holden or ford garbage,no floods or bush fires,anymore?

Errrrm - what's a pokie please?

A slot machine - they're called pokies here and the majority of pubs have millions of them!

A slot machine - they're called pokies here and the majority of pubs have millions of them!

But don't the vast majority of British pubs have those wretched money grabbing machines? Our local has a quiz machine that seems to rarely be unused and some of the punters seem to put more money in the bandit they they could possibly earn!:confused:

Archived