Fear of Flying....

foy465

I know it is totally irrational, but I just can't help it :sad:

We fly from Manchester on 27th Feb via Munich, then onto Singapore & finally landing in Brisbane. We are flying Singapore Airlines. It is myself, hubby & our 2 children aged 7 and 4. We are doing a day at Singapore to break the journey up a bit.

The longest flight I have ever done is a 4 hour to Greece, and as the leaving date gets closer & closer the more worried I get. Then someone told me the other day that the flight from Singapore to Brisbane is really turbulent because of the atmosphere?!

Please can you tell me your flight experiences flying to Oz?, good & bad as it may help me get my head around it a bit better. Thanks very much.

We fly from Manchester on 27th Feb via Munich, then onto Singapore & finally landing in Brisbane. We are flying Singapore Airlines. It is myself, hubby & our 2 children aged 7 and 4. We are doing a day at Singapore to break the journey up a bit.

The longest flight I have ever done is a 4 hour to Greece, and as the leaving date gets closer & closer the more worried I get. Then someone told me the other day that the flight from Singapore to Brisbane is really turbulent because of the atmosphere?!

Please can you tell me your flight experiences flying to Oz?, good & bad as it may help me get my head around it a bit better. Thanks very much.

My wife suffers from a similar condition and it is very real, she takes medication before flying, maybe you could see the doctor and they may be able to help.

Try not to worry, I am the same really not good on flights and it is the thought of turbulence that scares me (started after a terrifying flight to India) I worried from the day we booked flights and I have to say that it was probably the best flight I have ever been on absolutely no turbulence all the way to Singapore. Was a tiny bit from Singapore to Brisbane but it only lasted about 1 minute and it was nothing I hardly even noticed it and trust me I notice every little bump when I fly.

Good luck and honestly try not to worry for us at least it was such a smooth flight, maybe see your GP as the other poster mentioned.

Guest guest37336

Hi Foy.

Firstly take no notice of the person who said it was turbulent between Singapore and Brisbane, absolute poppy cock. It may well get a little turbulent, but no more so than any other plane trip, and what must also be remembered is that turbulence, (if any indeed) only lasts for a manner of minutes or seconds, so please don't go worrying too much about that side of things.

I have been backward and forward to Australia on around 30 odd occasions and with hand on heart can say that very little out of the ordinary went on during any of these trips, (I guess you could say that when they ran out of chicken for the evening meal that was rather traumatic,):mad:

Andy is right, there are several types of medication on the market today that may help, and my first port of call would be your doctor to see if they can do for anything for you. There is no easy solution, and you are very right, it is a completely irrational fear, but hey, we are by nature irrational human beings, so don't go beating yourself up about that one, just like the fear of the night, irrational but completely understandable my friend.

So all in all, though a difficult one I would say this, focus on the destination and what awaits you, a start of a brand new adventure that will hopefully see you happy and contented.

If you find things a bit much you could bring this to the attention of the cabin staff, Singapore airlines cabin staff employ some of the best and most caring people there are in the aviation world there is today, and they would have seen this on dozens of occasions, so they know what you 'may' go through.

But in the first instance I would say have a word with the doc, get something to take the edge off, and go from there. I am sure you will find (as in most instances of life) the thought rather than the experience is often worse.

Good luck and try not to worry too much, and don't take any notice of the person who said such a daft thing.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

I can highly recommend the 'Fear of Flying' course run by Virgin airways (google for a course near you). it cost £200 & was well worth every penny. I took Valium as well but found that by using the techniques they teach you that I didnt need the tablets

Do you think it would be useful for a 14 year old? My daughter is terrified of flying over water and no amount of her physics teacher talking her through how the plane stays in the air helps! She understands all that, but as Tony said, it is completely irrational which she knows too.

We have a slightly complicated life at the moment which involves fairly frequent flights between Australia and the UK and just the mention of possibly going in the summer had her in tears and shaking last week. I obviously don't want to give her any drugs.

Foy - we've done that flight lots of times and haven't really had turbulance that often. I hate it too, but we've had worse going to Spain!

Thanks so much everyone, especially Tony who hit the nail on the head in everyway really. :biggrin:

The last flight I did was a 2 1/2 hr to Majorca, and honestly I have never experienced turbulence like it! It went on severely for at least an hour. I have to say though, turbulence doesn't bother me THAT much, It is everything, the noises, the banking of the plane, I HATE take-off! I guess I still just don't get how on earth a plane can stay up for that long! haha.

I will definitely speak to my doctor, if I didn't have the kids with me I would just ask for something to "knock" me out haha, but I will have to be with it as they will need me of course.

I hate it when the engines slow when the plane's starting to descend and, like you I don't like looking out of the windows seeing bright blue on one side and the ground on the other!

Honestly, once you've been on the thing for that many hours you get used to all the noises and bumps. I think the short flights are worse because you don't get a chance for the anxiety to subside - it's physically impossible to maintain the usual level of anxiety, so you do relax.

You've also got two young children to keep you busy!

Hi Caramac

I would certainly recommend you mail the organisers of the course as they are brilliant, but there may be an age limit. It was so interesting to learn the reasons behind the noises & just how that big old plane gets up in the air! But more than that it teaches lots of tapping techniques & thought re-progamming. I also had a flight at the end of the session & came away with a book & a CD to listen to weekly. It really did help me, especially when we had an emergency landing in Bali on the way back as one of the engines caught fire

Hi Caramac

I would certainly recommend you mail the organisers of the course as they are brilliant, but there may be an age limit. It was so interesting to learn the reasons behind the noises & just how that big old plane gets up in the air! But more than that it teaches lots of tapping techniques & thought re-progamming. I also had a flight at the end of the session & came away with a book & a CD to listen to weekly. It really did help me, especially when we had an emergency landing in Bali on the way back as one of the engines caught fire

:eek: Good job you went before that!!

Guest guest37336
I hate it when the engines slow when the plane's starting to descend and, like you I don't like looking out of the windows seeing bright blue on one side and the ground on the other!

Honestly, once you've been on the thing for that many hours you get used to all the noises and bumps. I think the short flights are worse because you don't get a chance for the anxiety to subside - it's physically impossible to maintain the usual level of anxiety, so you do relax.

You've also got two young children to keep you busy!

Hi Caramac.

I must admit I am one of the very few people who if I want to can fall asleep within half an hour of the flight taking off and I will sleep for the WHOLE journey, it drives those around me to the point of distraction,:embarrassed::biglaugh:, if I could bottle it I would make a million.

But I must admit that I enjoy the flight if I choose to stay awake. Half of the excitement to me isn't just that I am getting to Australia again, but what is below me, countries, people , etc. Especially if it is clear skies and you can see the land below.

Dependant on which way you fly I imagine Bedouin in the deserts, apes and tribes in the amazon, Chinese markets bustling full of people, everything under the sun, and that is what fascinate me. Though I am some 30,000 odd foot in the air peoples lives below me are going on as normal, people milling about without the knowledge that there I am sitting in an airplane watching the world pass me by below me.

And if truth were known, I love the turbulence as well, like a big kid, just makes the flight more interesting.

Hi Caramac.

I must admit I am one of the very few people who if I want to can fall asleep within half an hour of the flight taking off and I will sleep for the WHOLE journey, it drives those around me to the point of distraction,:embarrassed::biglaugh:, if I could bottle it I would make a million.

But I must admit that I enjoy the flight if I choose to stay awake. Half of the excitement to me isn't just that I am getting to Australia again, but what is below me, countries, people , etc. Especially if it is clear skies and you can see the land below.

Dependant on which way you fly I imagine Bedouin in the deserts, apes and tribes in the amazon, Chinese markets bustling full of people, everything under the sun, and that is what fascinate me. Though I am some 30,000 odd foot in the air peoples lives below me are going on as normal, people milling about without the knowledge that there I am sitting in an airplane watching the world pass me by below me.

And if truth were known, I love the turbulence as well, like a big kid, just makes the flight more interesting.

I love it too - flying over countries and imagining the people below, getting on with their very different lives. It's sad to think of the ones which look beautiful from the air, but you know there's all sorts of trouble going on down there.

I don't mind the journey at all - time seems to stand still when you're in the air, but I'm jealous of your ability to sleep all the way, I'll know if it's you I'm sitting next to next time and make sure I elbow you every now and then!

I'm sorry, but I do think you're a bit odd loving the turbulance.....:wideeyed:

Hi,

Our flight experiences to Oz have been positive the only negative for me is that I end it looking terrible because I can't sleep on the plane at all lol

My sister in Law is terrified of flying but was very brave and came to visit us. She did get some medication from her GP to help relax her ... worked a treat.

I also have sympathy with you, and it's such a long flight. Each flight is different though, there's no set time or place for turbulence, but as they say it's more dangerous going out on the road most times to drive than to fly. I never sleep either, and would recommend something from your doctor to help you if you need it.

I'm smiling at the moment remembering that my sister-in-law had a bit of a panic when she couldn't find her tablets for the return journey ... I had visions of taking her to my GP to get some more .... luckily we did find the 'safe' place' she'd put them before they left.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Foy

Good luck on your journey!! I've never had a bad flight to Brisbane from the UK..both being home and flown many, many times!! Take the tablets relax..I take them and they do work..When you board the plane just tell the crew about your anxieties with flying...DON"T worry lots do! They won't sit and read you a story during the flight! but they will keep an eye on you...without asking I've had a cup of tea brought over as I looked a little worried..so they will look after you..........AND HEY...BRISBANE!!!YAY couldn't think of a better reason to endure a long flight!!!!!

Have a great time!!

Rach

OKay-OK no-one has said it, and someone should...just to get it out of the way!!!

I'm very scared of flying...petrified...I always worried that when I'm up really really really high above the clouds ..my arms will get tired and I won't hold out!!!!!!..well that's done!!

Rach:smile:

I wouldn't worry so much about turbulence etc on an aircraft, especially a Commercial Airliner. A 747 wings will flex somewhere in the region of 8-10 meters up or down in the event of severe turbulence, and even then they probably won't fall off.

I have been flying for around 16 years now, some as a passenger, and some (especially now) in the pointy end in control. It may feel like a lot when you are going through it, but the aircrew up there are so very highly trained and will be able to handle that easily. Plus the auto-pilot does most of it for them, and it is extremely highly sophisticated. And if you happen to land in the water, which a lot of the flight isn't because of the geography you have to fly over to get to Oz from the UK, you will be in fantastic hands. If you do have to ditch, just think Capt. Sullenberger is up there at the controls. He can land one in the Hudson river, he can land one in the sea.

I have lifted off the floor, literally 2 feet in the air and stayed there for a couple of seconds when in turbulence a few times. I know, being a pilot, it doesn't really scare me in any way, and I know the limitations of the aircraft these days.

You really have nothing to fear from it. As some have suggested here, the Fear of Flying courses are pretty good and can help calm you down to a point, but I don't think you are ever "fixed".

If anyone would like any info on the intricacies of flight, or how to deal with certain things to do with it, PM me and I will respond as soon as I can.

Oh no i hate flying too

We flew to perth in January seriously i was a sweaty wreak before the plane even took off all i did was i took an ipod and plugged it in turned it up full blast and shut my eyes

Every little bit of turbulence had me asking "are we cashing@ sounds really stupid now lol but on our flight from hong kong to perth during the night the turbulence was horrific , so i went to the toilet to be sick and low and behold the capt of the plane was their OMG that set me off again i was quizzing him about the turbulence the likelyhood of crashing etc, he just laughed and said at some point between hong kong (cant remember wher it was) the usually experience turbulence for about 15 mins and that it was completly normal and not to worry he then went on to tell me about his daughter etc and how she was the same age as mine, and when i got back to my seat about an hour later he came up to have a chat with us really really nice man, and we arrived safley i still dont like flying but hey ho

If i was you what id do is try and stay up for as long as you can the day before so your really tired as soon as you get on the plane ge your pyjamas on and have a drink then try your hardest to fall asleep before the plane takes off

Good luck im sure you will be fine

Archived