Irish People Perth Bound!!!!

Guest bcfrug

Hi everyone. I'm English, my husband is Irish heritage, his parents are Irish, he was born in England, still has family back in Dublin.:biggrin:

We've been out here 5 weeks, we're up in Tapping. My husband is 29, i'm 28 and we have a 10 month old son. Would be very interested in meeting up? Especially mid week with any other mothers who stay at home too?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jacinta72
Hey all!

Jonny congrats on getting your visa,it seems like such a long way off for us but we'll get there eh!!

Andie think most folks in this thread are perth bound but i did see another thread of Irish heading to all parts of oz, cant rem now where i spotted it but i'll have a look.

Just trying to get bits together to get skills assessed, God there is so much to do! I've the IELTS exam on the 27th of this month, oh i'm really really not looking foward to it! :sad::unsure: Any tips would be much appreciated.......please...???? I'm on hols next week and it'll be all i'll be able to think of! There is loads of websites with tips and test exams so i may get my head down!!

Hey sounds full on, what the IELTS exam about?

Hey sounds full on, what the IELTS exam about?

Hi jacinta, how's all your end?! The IELTS exam is an English exam to show you are fluent in english, you'd imagine it should be very easy considering it is and always has been my 1st language but it seems tricky enough! Positive mental attitude thou.....I will pass it with flying colours!! :err: There's 4 parts to it listening, 2 writing sections and a speaking part!! Not looking foward to it but please god it'll all b worth it in the end eh! My other half better hav something nice arranged for next sat nite after it involving a large bottle of vino!!

Karen x

Guest damopower

The IELTS is completely easy for an English or Irish person barring the written section. You have to write an essay basically arguing a subject and you also have to write a formal letter eg. letter of complaint. I really reccomend people research this online as there are standard ways of setting out the essay and letter that the examiners are looking for. You can find some tutorials and advice on youtube which helped me. If you were like me and you needed to score very high to get the points for your Residency then I think that you definitely need to study these two topics. As it was I managed to get the points so happy days, I'm in Perth now. :cool:

Guest JonnyNI

My girlfriend is getting ready for her IELTs exam this Thursday... Some of the stuff is pretty tricky but as long as you do a good bit of study for it I can't see why everyone doesn't get at least a 7...

We just got our skills assessment posted off to AACA on Friday and that can take up to 20 weeks so that gives us some time to get all of the documents together for our visa application. Does anyone know where I could find a check list of the documents that are required for a 176 visa application (my girlfriend will also be on the application as a defacto partner).

Thanks, Jonny

Guest jacinta72
Hi jacinta, how's all your end?! The IELTS exam is an English exam to show you are fluent in english, you'd imagine it should be very easy considering it is and always has been my 1st language but it seems tricky enough! Positive mental attitude thou.....I will pass it with flying colours!! :err: There's 4 parts to it listening, 2 writing sections and a speaking part!! Not looking foward to it but please god it'll all b worth it in the end eh! My other half better hav something nice arranged for next sat nite after it involving a large bottle of vino!!

Karen x

Hey, all good here, it was 26 deg yest hottest august day in 5 yrs?? then about 1 it got so windy and rained for the rest of the day and all nite! one thing about perth when it rains it rains! bring on summer I say! good luck with the test, say you will be grand just take your time, what kinda visa are you goin for?:jiggy:

Hey, all good here, it was 26 deg yest hottest august day in 5 yrs?? then about 1 it got so windy and rained for the rest of the day and all nite! one thing about perth when it rains it rains! bring on summer I say! good luck with the test, say you will be grand just take your time, what kinda visa are you goin for?:jiggy:

Hi jacinta. 26 deg gosh that sounds lovely & in winter time. We're hoping to b over early next March, prob just as well as the summer out there would prob kill me....at least if we go then I'll have a chance to climatise eh!! Thanks for your good luck wishes re exam. We're going for 176 pr visa, seems like a long way off and lots of organising to b done, wish it was next March in 1 way but also dreading leaving family....its gonna be tough. How long did u say your in Perth? Did u hav any friends or family over there b4 u went over? Do you kno are there any areas with plenty of Irish? We're not sure which area to go to, suppose it'll all depend on my job and childcare for the main man eh!

Chat soon, Karen x

Guest Crosby Family

Hi Karen,

Have'nt been on for a bit. how are things going with you ?

Did you have any luck with the papers for the ielts exam?Im sure you will do great, just try not to stress to much

Muriel

Hi Karen,

Have'nt been on for a bit. how are things going with you ?

Did you have any luck with the papers for the ielts exam?Im sure you will do great, just try not to stress to much

Muriel

Hello Muriel,

How's all with you, you must be a very busy lady!! No i didn't get the papers off that lady you told me about, unfortunately she had just posted them off to somabody else when i sent her a pm! The internet is great thou, i think i've done all i can to prepare, its tomorrow morning muriel and to be honest i'm dreading it! say a wee prayer for me!! I'll just keep a cool head well i'll try! I'm good at not panicking ish!! Hope your getting all organised, time is flying in.

Karen x

Hi Karen,

My hubby did it in dublin 2 weeks ago. He thought it was easy enough (we will see next week when we get the results!!!), the only part would be the written part he said!!! That seems to be where people fall down. you have to do a short essay, so there is a format they are looking for (Im sure my hubby didnt follow any format!!) and he had to write a letter to his landlord, so a formal letter, advising of a problem in the house.

So practice the writing part. Best of luck.

regards cazmayo

PS: when my hubby was doing the speaking, the tape recorder broke down, so he had to do it again!!! But he got an easier topic the 2nd time around, 1st time Your biggest achievement and the 2nd Sporting Event.

Hi Karen,

My hubby did it in dublin 2 weeks ago. He thought it was easy enough (we will see next week when we get the results!!!), the only part would be the written part he said!!! That seems to be where people fall down. you have to do a short essay, so there is a format they are looking for (Im sure my hubby didnt follow any format!!) and he had to write a letter to his landlord, so a formal letter, advising of a problem in the house.

So practice the writing part. Best of luck.

regards cazmayo

PS: when my hubby was doing the speaking, the tape recorder broke down, so he had to do it again!!! But he got an easier topic the 2nd time around, 1st time Your biggest achievement and the 2nd Sporting Event.

Thanks cazmayo, i'm doing it in dublin also. yes its the writing part that seems to be the hardest part, i'm doing the academic test so 250 word essay and 150 word report on pie charts, diagrams, graphs etc. Just hope the topic in the essay is something i have a bit of knoweldge about if not i'll twist it so it is eh, after all its not my knowledge on the topic as such they are testing eh!! Thanks again feel better after reading your post. My biggest achievement, that would be easy for me, my wee man! Awh!! Better go get an early one, nite.

Karen

Well just home from ielts exam. I wss happy after d written part, was no were near as tough as I expected, well results may disagree but hopefully not! Not sur bout speaking thou. I was very nervous and stumbled a few times but was grand once i got going, hopefully the stumbles won't mark me down too much!

Hi Hano just wondering if you could say a bit more about ielts please am due to do it soon, can you remember essay and graph , were the other parts hard how long did it take would appreciate any info

Kismo just in bed and Checked on phone. I promise I'll b on 2mrw witi info. Nite, Karen

Hi All,

I'm in Sydney at the minute and am expecting a job offer in Perth any day ( I got an email confirming the job I just have to wait on the formal offer). So the few questions I have are:

I've 3 kids 15 boy,13 girl ,10 boy. where is good for sports, schools etc. for them?

I like Sydney but its not like home where the kids play on the street and you know your neighbours.

Cheers,

Hats

Guest Crosby Family
Well just home from ielts exam. I wss happy after d written part, was no were near as tough as I expected, well results may disagree but hopefully not! Not sur bout speaking thou. I was very nervous and stumbled a few times but was grand once i got going, hopefully the stumbles won't mark me down too much!

Hi Karen,

sorry only getting back to you now, up to my eyes at the mo, and had some family over at the weekend only recovering now. Im glad you feel you did well in the exams, dont worry im sure you did.Its starting to sink in a bit now that we are actually going, had a clear out and my nieces and sister took a pile of stuff with them .Container will be here in just under 4 weeks, so i will be packing like mad in the next few weeks, you would be amazed at the stuff you keep.Let me know when you get your results hun.

Talk soon

Muriel

hey caz just signed up to p o m today how is yourvisa going or whats the progress

Hi ya!!!

Sorry I missed this post!

Hubby did the IELTS test 2 weeks ago, so Im expecting the results 2moro in the post.

We have been stopping and starting this process for along time. We were in the process of getting sponsored by that all fell through, which now I think is for the best, as they seem to be processing visas fairly fast now, so going over with a family you really want a perm visa for security.

How are you getting on?

kind regards Cazmayo

Hi Hano just wondering if you could say a bit more about ielts please am due to do it soon, can you remember essay and graph , were the other parts hard how long did it take would appreciate any info

Hiya Kismo,

Back as promised! The test really was no were near as bad as i thought it would be and i was very nervous. I had to do the academic test and need an overall score of 7 so please God i've done enough! I had to be there for 9 to register, as did everybody else, then just had to be back in waiting room before 9.40 once you had registered, then lead into exam room, so i'd say exam started bout 10 and was finished at 1.

Listening first, it was grand, plenty of time to read over before each section. All the questions flow the same way they are speaking so wasn't too bad at all.

Reading next, an hour to do this and you need the hour. Think there was 3 passages with questions, multiple choice, matching etc.

Writing next, firstly pie charts..... 2 pie charts, one for males and other for females showing percentages of areas they worked in in 1993, and another 2 pie charts showing the same in 2003. Twas hard trying not to go too over to 150 word limit. Secondly the essay, it went something like "Water has always been scarce in certain areas but is now becoming a worldwild problem. Discuss ways in which individuals and governments can eleviate this problem".... Not too bad, stick to 20 mins for first part and the 40 mins for essay, you'll be surprised at how quick hour goes by.

I had my speaking at 3 then. My cue card was to discuss something i enjoyed learning....i didn't speak for long enough, felt i'd been talking for ages and stopped and the lady just kept looking at me so i started again, i was very nervous. Then just general questions about tv, my son, education, she asked about academic education versus practical training.....think she asked me about this as i said i was a nurse. I'm a little annoyed over this section, i could have done a lot better, but hoprfully i said enough and they'll realise my stumbles were nerves :eek:

Anyway all in all not as bad as i thought would be, well i'll tell you in 2 weeks eh! Hope you can make sense of above and that i haven't waffled too much!!! Best of luck to you, let me kno how you get on, my one piece of advice really is to practice talking for 2 mins on anything, its a long time to keep yapping!! And relax!

Karen :biggrin:

Hi Karen,

sorry only getting back to you now, up to my eyes at the mo, and had some family over at the weekend only recovering now. Im glad you feel you did well in the exams, dont worry im sure you did.Its starting to sink in a bit now that we are actually going, had a clear out and my nieces and sister took a pile of stuff with them .Container will be here in just under 4 weeks, so i will be packing like mad in the next few weeks, you would be amazed at the stuff you keep.Let me know when you get your results hun.

Talk soon

Muriel

Hi Muriel,

Gosh only 4 weeks, you wont feel that coming. I'm sure your finding loads and wondering why on earth did i hold on to that!! Hopefully i'll get the result i need Muriel, i'll let you kno. Happy Packing!!

Chat soon,

Karen x

Hi All,

I'm in Sydney at the minute and am expecting a job offer in Perth any day ( I got an email confirming the job I just have to wait on the formal offer). So the few questions I have are:

I've 3 kids 15 boy,13 girl ,10 boy. where is good for sports, schools etc. for them?

I like Sydney but its not like home where the kids play on the street and you know your neighbours.

Cheers,

Hats

Hiya Hats,

Hopefully Jacinta will be on one of these nights, she'll be able to give you some good advice as she's living over in Perth a few years now. We're only researching areas now and haven't a clue either. We've a 15 month old son, so a few years to go before i've to worry about schools!

Best of luck,

Karen

Thanks for that also need score of seven as also nursing not planning on going til june'13 but skills assessment only valid til jan'12 hence the mad panic to get things organised

hi,

Can I ask when you did your skills assessment and how long it lasts, trying to get an idea of what to do first,

Thanks

Karen

Hiya,

We got our 457 through on the 18th and we are flying out on Tuesday. We have to little boys aged 1 and 4 so looking forward to the flight NOT. Have a few little panic attacks about areas to live in, we have got it narrowed down to up around Joondalup, I think:eek:

Archived