Don't you hate it when...

LukeM

Sunday 02 January 2011, 07:49 a.m. (Brisbane)

A little rant about PiO, by LukeM...

So, a few times recently I've noticed that some people like to come on here, make up their posts expecting advice from a more regular member whose head is chokka full of advice and ready to explode and impart their advice to that new user whose mind is full of questions.

HOWEVER. They come scrounging for this advice and weeks later you receive no acknowledgement that they ever received, read and appreciated that advice or information you spent precious minutes or hours of your life compiling in a text format just for them so they can be happy and off on their way! :GEEK:

Does that not bug you?! No "Thanks", no reply to the post, thread disappears down the list slowly into the pit of un-loved threads. Makes me sad it does sometimes.

One such recent example was someone wanted to know about studying computer science in Aus, so I stepped in as the first (and then final!) response and the OP never made a peep again. No "thanks for the suggestions" or a Thanks or a chicken click... my poor chicken is starving and may die soon, thanks to the poster of that thread. :daydreaming:

We're all here to help one another... Old and new members alike! I call for an International "Recognise Your Fellow PiO'ers Day" to be nominated.

BIG LOOOOOVE. :wubclub:

LukeM

Guest guest33730

So, a few times recently I've noticed that some people like to come on here, make up their posts expecting advice from a more regular member whose head is chokka full of advice and ready to explode and impart their advice to that new user whose mind is full of questions.

HOWEVER. They come scrounging for this advice and weeks later you receive no acknowledgement that they ever received, read and appreciated that advice or information you spent precious minutes or hours of your life compiling in a text format just for them so they can be happy and off on their way! :GEEK:

Does that not bug you?! No "Thanks", no reply to the post, thread disappears down the list slowly into the pit of un-loved threads. Makes me sad it does sometimes.

One such recent example was someone wanted to know about studying computer science in Aus, so I stepped in as the first (and then final!) response and the OP never made a peep again. No "thanks for the suggestions" or a Thanks or a chicken click... my poor chicken is starving and may die soon, thanks to the poster of that thread. :daydreaming:

We're all here to help one another... Old and new members alike! I call for an International "Recognise Your Fellow PiO'ers Day" to be nominated.

LukeM

I agree Luke - However it does sometimes take time for new members to understand the etiquette and to work out what the different buttons are for. I remember it was weeks before I understood there was a 'chicken to click'!

Daniel

Guest guest36762

LukeM

hi mate

I've helped loads of people on here. They just don't know it yet. My advice to you? Keep giving like I do. I'll fiddle with your chicken now

I know what you mean Luke! It also bugs me that I could be saying exactly the same thing as other people but the OP decides not to thank me but everyone else. And I'm thinking, WTF did I do wrong then?? (Not that I post to get thanks lol). Don't worry not everyone is like that, as I'm sure you know! And I hope it doesn't put you off helping people in future. Btw I tried feeding your chicken but it wouldn't let me! Must have given your chick some food recently! lol.

Guest Guest9973

:yes: Part of forum life I'm afraid. It happens all to regularly and does not give incentive to help out again.

But there are times when I have had some wonderful little PM's that restore my faith :cute:

I find it funny when people talk over your advice.:chatterbox:

Happened lots of times in here when asked about areas to live before they arrive here.

I give my opinion of the pros and cons - two posters discover they like the same area that I've just gently directed them away from - Bingo!! Off they go hand in hand making the mistake together.

I driver though some of these areas daily so thought my opinion counted for something!

You never hear from these posters again. Probably arrived,realised their mistake - returned or moved to another area.:cute:

Luke's chicken tickled.

Guest guest30038

I've spent heaps of time via pm and email, helping folk.........not bothered about the thanks in an open arena as I found that when I first came to PIO, that there were some that would disagree with the advice, (not just mine) merely to contradict the poster who they seemed to have taken a dislike to.

Advice given privately, can then be put by the recipient back into the open forum if they wish, and any subsequent contradiction doesn't have a "personal ring" to it.

For an example, I had two members who asked about commute times and locations. I warned them that their choice of preferred location would stick an extra 3 to 4 hrs on their working day via commute times, but they chose their original location despite that, and due in part to contradiction from another member who wasn't concerned with the commute. Both latterly posted that they were plssed off with Brizzy due to commute times and to the best of my knowledge, haven't posted since. Their knowledge gained through ignoring others' knowledge/advice could have benefited future migrants but as stated in another thread, there are givers and takers in all aspects of life.

Don't be deterred. If just one person learns from your experience, then you have benefitted the community. If others don't, or appear ungrateful for your advice, it is best to let it slide and continue to help those who will benefit. Gratitude is nice, but the receipt of it, isn't the reason for giving.

kev

I agree Luke,but it doesnt bother me tbh,ive given "advice"(hopefully!)and loads of times it hasnt been thanked,but some on here have never pressed the thx button at all tbh,some might not like the "cyber me"so wouldnt thank me if their lives depended on it,i remember someone on here who thought they might have cancer posting with their worries,the posts offering sympathy ran to about 10 pages,i posted wishing her well myself even tho i had an idea she wasnt fussed on me,she thanked EVERY post bar mine!:wideeyed:i sat at me desk chortling away to meself!aaaawww i tell yer,funny!:biglaugh:(no she never had cancer btw).

I couldnt care less tbh,why worry about an ignorant bas7ard?!as long as you or i have "done OUR bit",thats what matters mucker

Guest Guest31881

Unfortunately Luke that is forum life, some come on ask questions and forget their password so they are never heard of again, some do not know how to click the thanks button, ( a well known member who had been on here for 12 months once asked how to thank), some just do not bother saying thanks. Personally if I start a thread I like to say thanks to everyone who posts. If I see a good response from a member that has been ignored then I will click on the thanks, just so they know someone has seen what they have responded with.

Guest The Pom Queen

I sometimes wonder if the thanks button can cause more problems than not, sometimes I forget to thank a post and then the person who I forgot to thank gets peeved because I thanked someone else, and to be honest there is no malice intended but it can come across as though there is.

I have been on the site a couple of years now and have spent hours of my time helping members. I can remember one couple (they are not on here any more) I must have spent weeks and weeks with them, guided them every step of the way, if I didn't know something I would make a few phone calls to find out for them. I never once had a thank you, in fact any correspondence I had never acknowledged the previous reply it was just more and more questions. I continued to help them though as I don't like anyone struggling, the move is hard enough.

I had someone who got grumpy with me because they had sent me a pm whilst I was in hospital for 2 weeks and I hadn't replied. The day I came out I did reply to them although I was still on bed rest and couldn't even walk to the bathroom I was that weak, didn't get a thank you.

There are people out there who do thank me but I don't expect it any more, I just help the best I can. If it's on the forum then I think that other people will be helped by my advice anyway.

Guest The Pom Queen
Im a big thanker anyway:cute:,love a bit of thanking me:wubclub::wink:

Now if I thank you for this post, it means I have to make sure I thank Britchix as well, can't have her feeling left out:laugh:

Now if I thank you for this post, it means I have to make sure I thank Britchix as well, can't have her feeling left out:laugh:

No dont leave chickster out Kate,btw thx for those lovely big arse pics yer sent me:cute::wink::laugh:

Guest The Pom Queen
No dont leave chickster out Kate,btw thx for those lovely big arse pics yer sent me:cute::wink::laugh:

Sssshhhhh you will be getting me banned:wink:

Guest sysctl

[...]

Even if the person who originally asked the question have never responded, it still provides value to passive users coming from Google, who don't bother to register, but still get the benefit of the answer. I have just registered, but I can't count the number of times I stumbled into these forums before that when searching anything PR-related.

Will it make you sleep better if you know that you are making a difference? You have our collective anonymous "thank you" ;)

Even if the person who originally asked the question have never responded, it still provides value to passive users coming from Google, who don't bother to register, but still get the benefit of the answer. I have just registered, but I can't count the number of times I stumbled into these forums before that when searching anything PR-related.

Will it make you sleep better if you know that you are making a difference? You have our collective anonymous "thank you" ;)

That's all well and good but now that you've registered he'll want you to click his Thanks button :biglaugh:

Guest guest36762
Unfortunately Luke that is forum life, some come on ask questions and forget their password so they are never heard of again, some do not know how to click the thanks button, ( a well known member who had been on here for 12 months once asked how to thank), some just do not bother saying thanks. Personally if I start a thread I like to say thanks to everyone who posts. If I see a good response from a member that has been ignored then I will click on the thanks, just so they know someone has seen what they have responded with.

:shocked::cry:

Guest The Pom Queen

Welcome to PIO, glad you have moved from being a lurker to a poster, we don't bite.:wubclub:

As I said before (perhaps in-explicitly)... it's a new year, so let's share the love. Start of a new decade... 2011-2020 "the decade of grateful people". One can dream :wubclub:

I know we can't ALL be appreciated for EVERYTHING but hey sometimes **** turns sour or hits the proverbial fan on Internet forums and this is undoubtedly one of (if not the best) Internet forum communities out there... just a little more love can go a loooooong way! :jimlad::hug:

I do get what you are saying Luke. Being a sensitive girl and stuff it is nice when people acknowledge when I try and help or make a contribution. Not so much the banter threads but when you take time and make the effort to respond fully to someones question etc. I suppose it might be a bit egotistical of me, but there, I have said it! I think lots of people on here have differing ideas about what is and isn't acceptable behaviour so we are coming from a different angle. It doesn't really take much though does it, to press the 'thanks' button, or click that chick.

Bring on the love I say.

Sorry but i dont get the thanks thing to much, if people get upset or hurt because they think someone should have thanked their post and they didnt then they ought to get out more, i thank peoples post,s a lot but certainly not every post that maybe in a thread i started and i certainly do not get offended if someone i have never met does not thank a post i have written on their thread.

Its mainly about people who are to sensetive and see every little non thank you or innocent remark as a kick in the teeth for some reason.

Sorry but i dont get the thanks thing to much, if people get upset or hurt because they think someone should have thanked their post and they didnt then they ought to get out more, i thank peoples post,s a lot but certainly not every post that maybe in a thread i started and i certainly do not get offended if someone i have never met does not thank a post i have written on their thread.

Its mainly about people who are to sensetive and see every little non thank you or innocent remark as a kick in the teeth for some reason.

:yes::cry::embarrassed:

Archived