Don't you hate it when...

LukeM

Sunday 02 January 2011, 07:49 a.m. (Brisbane)

A little rant about PiO, by LukeM...

So, a few times recently I've noticed that some people like to come on here, make up their posts expecting advice from a more regular member whose head is chokka full of advice and ready to explode and impart their advice to that new user whose mind is full of questions.

HOWEVER. They come scrounging for this advice and weeks later you receive no acknowledgement that they ever received, read and appreciated that advice or information you spent precious minutes or hours of your life compiling in a text format just for them so they can be happy and off on their way! :GEEK:

Does that not bug you?! No "Thanks", no reply to the post, thread disappears down the list slowly into the pit of un-loved threads. Makes me sad it does sometimes.

One such recent example was someone wanted to know about studying computer science in Aus, so I stepped in as the first (and then final!) response and the OP never made a peep again. No "thanks for the suggestions" or a Thanks or a chicken click... my poor chicken is starving and may die soon, thanks to the poster of that thread. :daydreaming:

We're all here to help one another... Old and new members alike! I call for an International "Recognise Your Fellow PiO'ers Day" to be nominated.

BIG LOOOOOVE. :wubclub:

LukeM

I would say you are doing pretty well to have been "Thanked 156 Times in 106 Posts" :biglaugh:

Thanks for this post and all the responses - thought it was just my stuff that fell on deaf ears and it makes me feel a little better that I'm not the only one.

I've spent many hours helping individuals without any feedback which was sad and when I asked for information about the outcome heard diddly squat - felt like a stalker!

I'll still be there to help when needed but I agree, a little bit of appreciation goes a long way.

Sorry but i dont get the thanks thing to much, if people get upset or hurt because they think someone should have thanked their post and they didnt then they ought to get out more, i thank peoples post,s a lot but certainly not every post that maybe in a thread i started and i certainly do not get offended if someone i have never met does not thank a post i have written on their thread.

Its mainly about people who are to sensetive and see every little non thank you or innocent remark as a kick in the teeth for some reason.

Grinch:tongue::laugh:

Guest sh7t man no way

its just human nature luke--some will thank you,and some will take it for granted--i give out advice on pio not to be reconized but to help--its nice to be thanked but to me knowing ive passed something on is thanks enough--i must say though i can understand that many people may give up helping people if not reconized for this--lets hope this does not happen--so to all the guys who have had advice on pio, a thanks would not go amis--thank you:wubclub:

Guest guest37336

I think there are posts that genuinely DESERVE thanks and praise, and others that are 'just there'. The more technical and helpful threads concerning migration (DIAC related) and how people found their move to Australia for the most part should be thanked, they are very often put up there with a genuine concern to help and advise (majority of the time, :biglaugh:) others.

The 'other' threads like the vast majority I put up are just there to maybe have a laugh, question, etc, and I really don't expect thanks, as the truth is my threads rarely help, more confuse and frustrate really.

But I will say this, I do have a habit of thanking everyone who replies to a thread of mine, though I have let myself down at times, I do believe that if people have been good enough to join in then a swift thanks hurts no one at the end of the day, but that's just me.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

I laughed a little bit when Andrew suggested that it's the sensitive beings among us who may be most offended by such travesties as not being thanked! Well I can't deny I may be a little more sensitive than the average man, some of us are eh but I'm not that bad in the bigger picture! I'm sure there will have been users and visitors who opened this thread and totally got the wrong message or idea from this, that happens... So fair play.

I merely decided that it would be (one of) my first posts in 2011... A message of encouragement to share the good will among fellow PiO'ers and to share the love. Chickens need feeding and thanks may be given where thanks may be due. I don't say I expect to be thanked for everything in this sometimes thankless world but there ain't no harm in trying to raise community spirits hehe! I don't feel hard-done to or offended, but sometimes even if they never reply, it lets one know one's advice has been acknowledged eh?

Thanks to all who have responded... To those who agree and sympathise I love you just a little more than before. To those who don't? You have your points, I understand and hope I have cleared that up a bit!

Archived