10 days in -- Sunshine Coast Qld

PARBUTTN

Hi,

After a fight for nearly 3 years, we have finally arrived. The visa process has been a frustrating time for us and just cannot believe we are here.

Leaving family was so hard, and leaving my hubbys mum was the hardest as we had been living with his parents for 16mths and we just recently buried dad. All bad timing, but this visa process is a testing time and definetley an emotional rollercoaster!! After walking around with a whole in my heart for a couple of days, life is good for once.

We flew with Singapore Airlines, who are just fantastic. We were all stressing the morning we left as we only had a 20Kg baggage allowance each and Matt was taking his golf clubs which were a min charge of £238. Excess baggage was £38 a KG, but our container hadnt gone yet, so everything in our bag has to last us til mid Jan. When we checked in ,the lady asked when we were returning and we just said hopefully never and she never charged us for the excess baggage. I had many emails with the airline prev to this and was told if you have a perm visa you get a migrant allowance of 40kg, but we only had temp visa, so we were very lucky, just smiled and walked away very quickly!

On arrival at Brisbane,four suitcases and a set of golf clubs, two adults and two 16yr olds, would not fit in the car we had hired, so again luck was on our side and the carhire was upgraded for free to a 4x4.

Our rental at Mt Coolum is fantastic and has been a good base for us to explore the area.

On arrival we went to the nearest NAB bank to activate our bank account I had already opened in UK. I cannot express how important it is and what a lifesaver it has been to have had this account opened previously. We transferred some money out in Jan and it has been earning 4.25%, now I have transferred it to an internet current account on special at the moment and it is 6.25% and not locked in, like a bond.The bank card (keycard) counts as so much ID and if you get a printed balance with your address on that is enough like a utility bill, we have needed those details for ID like driving licences,medicare, buying new car and long term rental agents. The bank also said that new arrivals can be ID on uk passport, but if you leave too long it s harder. i would say driving licence is the next important thing too, as it is their main source of ID here.

We also purchased a mobile internet dongle, which has been our lifeline, and mobile phones , 4 iphones on contract , again easy. so many people on here said you wont be able to get contracts so was dreading it. We have gone with Telstra which has brilliant coverage around here, we have also got home phone and internet with them now, and have got 10$ discount each of our mobiles now for having all the accounts with them.

We have decided to move to Peregian Springs,near Noosa which I had already researched the area and it is all we could have wished for and better. We looked around so many rentals and started to panic that we were going to be homeless as there just is nothing around at the moment as it is coming into peak season. Some of the rentals had horrible carpets or were just tatty and we also wanted a pool for the kids. we have been lucky and found a brand new house just finished by the builder. It has a pool and backs on to the golf course. Again we have no references,or employment, but just offered 6mths rent upfront.

We move in on Monday so have been running around the shops ordering furniture( as we sold everything with our house in uk) Im glad I never had any furniture as I like the stuff much better here, and it is a good price. Tv's are really cheap, we have just bout a Samsung 58' 3D tv for £1500, with a free 22"lcd and 4pairs of 3d glasses. Most furniture comes within a few days, not like UK 6-12 wks!!

Looking around our last school today, but I think the girls have already made their mind up, so we can get them enrolled before they break up for the summer holidays next week, to start back with the other kids in January. After finishing their GCSE's in May the school have not allowed them to return back in Sept as it is a Grammar and only offer 2yr courses for A levels, and basically it affects their "drop out" figures, so the girls have been out the system for far too long!

I am comparing prices at the moment as we are not earning oz dollars yet. I think it is all swings and roundabouts. Food and toiletries are expensive, but when they do offers its cheap, you really need to shop around. Yet other things, ie fuel,insurance are half the price.

Australia used to be cheap for us, but with the current exchange rate it is probably the same as UK.

Sorry to waffle on, but PIO has been a god send for me over the last 2yrs and if anyone has any questions, feel free. Everything has been so easy here, I thought it was going to be ten times harder, however, this coast is so laid back and friendly, so far so good.

It is beautiful here, no traffic, hustle bustle and so pretty. Meeting other PIO on Sunday at a BBQ on Maroochy River, will be weird, talked to some of these people on this forum for months and months, now actually going to meet them!!

Nicki x

Guest cazbeckham

Nicki

It has been a long haul for you. We have been here just over two years in Buderim and love every minute.

Peregian Springs is lovely.

Sorry we wont be at the BBQ on Sunday to meet you, was at the last one to meet up with some people for a second time but we are meeting with new PIO's coming over soon, meeting at Buderim Tavern on 26th Feb so keep an eye out here and maybe we will see you there.

Good Luck with everything. If you hadn't found that rental a friend of mine had one at Pergian as she is moving to another house on Tuesday but looks like you are better off with the pool.

Caz

Hi,

After a fight for nearly 3 years, we have finally arrived. The visa process has been a frustrating time for us and just cannot believe we are here.

Leaving family was so hard, and leaving my hubbys mum was the hardest as we had been living with his parents for 16mths and we just recently buried dad. All bad timing, but this visa process is a testing time and definetley an emotional rollercoaster!! After walking around with a whole in my heart for a couple of days, life is good for once.

We flew with Singapore Airlines, who are just fantastic. We were all stressing the morning we left as we only had a 20Kg baggage allowance each and Matt was taking his golf clubs which were a min charge of £238. Excess baggage was £38 a KG, but our container hadnt gone yet, so everything in our bag has to last us til mid Jan. When we checked in ,the lady asked when we were returning and we just said hopefully never and she never charged us for the excess baggage. I had many emails with the airline prev to this and was told if you have a perm visa you get a migrant allowance of 40kg, but we only had temp visa, so we were very lucky, just smiled and walked away very quickly!

On arrival at Brisbane,four suitcases and a set of golf clubs, two adults and two 16yr olds, would not fit in the car we had hired, so again luck was on our side and the carhire was upgraded for free to a 4x4.

Our rental at Mt Coolum is fantastic and has been a good base for us to explore the area.

On arrival we went to the nearest NAB bank to activate our bank account I had already opened in UK. I cannot express how important it is and what a lifesaver it has been to have had this account opened previously. We transferred some money out in Jan and it has been earning 4.25%, now I have transferred it to an internet current account on special at the moment and it is 6.25% and not locked in, like a bond.The bank card (keycard) counts as so much ID and if you get a printed balance with your address on that is enough like a utility bill, we have needed those details for ID like driving licences,medicare, buying new car and long term rental agents. The bank also said that new arrivals can be ID on uk passport, but if you leave too long it s harder. i would say driving licence is the next important thing too, as it is their main source of ID here.

We also purchased a mobile internet dongle, which has been our lifeline, and mobile phones , 4 iphones on contract , again easy. so many people on here said you wont be able to get contracts so was dreading it. We have gone with Telstra which has brilliant coverage around here, we have also got home phone and internet with them now, and have got 10$ discount each of our mobiles now for having all the accounts with them.

We have decided to move to Peregian Springs,near Noosa which I had already researched the area and it is all we could have wished for and better. We looked around so many rentals and started to panic that we were going to be homeless as there just is nothing around at the moment as it is coming into peak season. Some of the rentals had horrible carpets or were just tatty and we also wanted a pool for the kids. we have been lucky and found a brand new house just finished by the builder. It has a pool and backs on to the golf course. Again we have no references,or employment, but just offered 6mths rent upfront.

We move in on Monday so have been running around the shops ordering furniture( as we sold everything with our house in uk) Im glad I never had any furniture as I like the stuff much better here, and it is a good price. Tv's are really cheap, we have just bout a Samsung 58' 3D tv for £1500, with a free 22"lcd and 4pairs of 3d glasses. Most furniture comes within a few days, not like UK 6-12 wks!!

Looking around our last school today, but I think the girls have already made their mind up, so we can get them enrolled before they break up for the summer holidays next week, to start back with the other kids in January. After finishing their GCSE's in May the school have not allowed them to return back in Sept as it is a Grammar and only offer 2yr courses for A levels, and basically it affects their "drop out" figures, so the girls have been out the system for far too long!

I am comparing prices at the moment as we are not earning oz dollars yet. I think it is all swings and roundabouts. Food and toiletries are expensive, but when they do offers its cheap, you really need to shop around. Yet other things, ie fuel,insurance are half the price.

Australia used to be cheap for us, but with the current exchange rate it is probably the same as UK.

Sorry to waffle on, but PIO has been a god send for me over the last 2yrs and if anyone has any questions, feel free. Everything has been so easy here, I thought it was going to be ten times harder, however, this coast is so laid back and friendly, so far so good.

It is beautiful here, no traffic, hustle bustle and so pretty. Meeting other PIO on Sunday at a BBQ on Maroochy River, will be weird, talked to some of these people on this forum for months and months, now actually going to meet them!!

Nicki x

Awesome post. Thanks so much for all the info. Am due to land sometime next year and also looking at sunshine coast. One question i do have is if you had employment pre getting cell phone contracts as that is something i have also been trying to resolve. If not what did you provide Telstra when you got them? Hope you settle in well and looking forward to joing you all on one of those meetups

Awesome post. Thanks so much for all the info. Am due to land sometime next year and also looking at sunshine coast. One question i do have is if you had employment pre getting cell phone contracts as that is something i have also been trying to resolve. If not what did you provide Telstra when you got them? Hope you settle in well and looking forward to joing you all on one of those meetups

Hi we have no employment as we had our own business in uk and from many posts I had read I never thought that we had a chance, all they want is 100pts I'd, passport and Qld driving license and also bank card in oz. If you open account from uk it is so easy,activate it on arrival then get license,again so easy they even filled the forms in for us. This has been everything needed for I'd. The hardest thing was proof of address but the bank gave us a statement with our temp address which they accepted as we had no utility bills.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Great opening post, i hope we hear alot more about your forthcoming adventures, it sounds as though things are going well for you so far, best of luck.

Great post Nikki. It is lovely to hear so much positivity on here.

We have been on the Sunshine coast for 6 months now, and have never looked back. The houses, the weather, the people, just everything is great!

It was lovely to meet you and your family last sunday :-)

Jodie & James Clark

Hi Jodie and James,

It was lovely to meet you too. A bit scary meeting strangers, but we all have something in common I guess. Very reassuring that you visited UK recently and just wanted to come back to oz as soon as you landed, and the fact that you havent seen any snakes or spiders!!!

Moved into our rental yesterday so been really busy putting furniture together. Big W and K mart have been a god send for bits and pieces. Internet and Austar not beng connected until Thurs so girls are counting the hours! So glad furniture arrives quickly as only had to wait 2-5days for everything.

Take care, hope to see you soon at next meet.

Nicki, Matt, Felton and Brooke

Hi PARBUTTN

Would you mind telling us availability and also costs at the moment for your rental.

BTW well done and congratulations on your new lives.

Jay and Mand

Hi

There is about 12 houses on this estate but only 3 had a pool. We did feel a bit desperate as I have been keeping my eye out on the Internet and a few weeks ago there was loads but it is coming into peak season and not too much to choose from. Agents are also forcing 12mth rents but we have taken something nice. We pay $580 week Inc pool maintenance quite pricey but as I said peak season and not bad for a brand new four bed full air-conditioning pool and backing straight on to golf course. Look on real-estate.au to get some idea it also depends on the area as to rental prices.

Nicki x

Guest Carrie254

Hi Nicki,

So pleased to hear that you are settling and getting things sorted. Just wanted to say hello from snowy Kent! Look forward to hearing more in due course!

Carolyn xxx

Hey Nicki!

thanks for the report - sounds like its been hectic few weeks but so glad you have (nearly) settled :)

we are still on the emotional roller coaster - although CO is now looking at visa application so there movement. Heads of Terms with business about to be signed but UK has ground to a halt due to snow !! i know where i wold rather be - keep the reports coming and so glad it is working out for you ! x

Really good to hear that you are loving your new life , it's nice to know all the ins and outs of getting up and running and now I know what to expect . We are moving out to Hervey Bay area next year and my husband may be at Noosa for work sometimes .

Thanks for reassuring me about all the costs etc on furniture as I am unsure as to what to do about ours as we are on a temp visa and are not selling out property in the UK until we are settled.YOu have provided valuable information and insight .

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you,

When putting up with the migration changes of late it is easy to forget why you wanted to start the whole damn thing!

It is updates like yours that I look upon from time to time to cheer me up and remind me that it is worth the greif in the end

Cheers

Hi Rinkerdink,

What a kind post!! To be honest one month in and all going great. It's amazing how there are a lot of negative posts or misleading posts on here. I guess its luck of the draw, but I had heard so many posts of people not getting rentals, bank acc and mobile phone contracts, so expected a battle on arrival, however, its just been so easy!!! I have done 3 years of homework and i guess its paying off!!

Archived