Melbourne, the clear winner.....

Nzogbia

Are you being pedantic? :laugh:

Me? Pedantic?

:shocked:

No - I just want potential emigres to have a realistic idea of what they are coming to. Some people do expect longer days, guaranteed long hot summers, massive houses, swimming pools, beach views, high incomes, outdoor lifestyles, etc. It ain't necessarily so.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Me? Pedantic?

No - I just want potential emigres to have a realistic idea of what they are coming to. Some people do expect longer days, guaranteed long hot summers, massive houses, swimming pools, beach views, high incomes, outdoor lifestyles, etc. It ain't necessarily so.

I think they are right to expect longer days (in winter), long hot summers (compared with the UK), larger houses (on average) and outdoor lifestyles (if people get off their bums). As for the other two, well that depends. Some people are able to earn more, some earn less. I don't know many people who expect higher wages, most people on here I know just want a different lifestyle to the one they have in the UK regardless of salary. You are right that if they assume all this will fall in their lap there will be some disappointed people, but I'm not convinced you could fall into the trap of assuming Australia is 'eutopia' if you have been sensible and done some research first.

I think they are right to expect longer days (in winter), long hot summers (compared with the UK), larger houses (on average) and outdoor lifestyles (if people get off their bums).

From what I have seen, Melbourne typically has smaller homes than the UK and they are built much closer to neighbours' homes. Of course there are the large homes with multiple living areas (as there are too in the UK) but these are either unaffordable or a long way from the city.

The outdoor lifestyle doesn't happen (too cold and wet). I saw much more outdoor living in Scotland. Besides, most people live in the middle of urban development and there is considerably less urban parkland here than in the UK.

Winter days may be longer (though not that much longer) but you pay for that with nightfall at 8.30 in the middle of summer.

From what I have seen, Melbourne typically has smaller homes than the UK and they are built much closer to neighbours' homes. Of course there are the large homes with multiple living areas (as there are too in the UK) but these are either unaffordable or a long way from the city.

The outdoor lifestyle doesn't happen (too cold and wet). I saw much more outdoor living in Scotland. Besides, most people live in the middle of urban development and there is considerably less urban parkland here than in the UK.

Winter days may be longer (though not that much longer) but you pay for that with nightfall at 8.30 in the middle of summer.

Really? Not my experience. My home in Melbourne is in one of the cheaper suburbs and still has a considerably larger block and more living space than anywhere I have lived in the UK. Suppose it depends on where you lived in the UK?

I could agree with your other points, but again, depends on where you lived in the UK and what opportunities you had there. For me the above is all true, otherwise I wouldn't have written it.

I really like some aspects of Melbourne but dislike others...but a lot of my dislikes come from being brought up in Brisbane so wouldn't be as likely to affect an immigrant from the uk.

- shops - loved the little independent fashion boutiques in the cbd and surrounds.

- lanes - loved exploring all the different laneways and arcades.

- cafes - some great little cafes and restaurants.

- state library - the dome room - omg!!!

- botanical gardens - lovely with nice little kids area.

- architecture - enjoyed riding around on my bicycle in the early morning looking at all the nice inner city houses and parks.

- urban vibe - nice being in a big city again with a bit of a big city vibe.

- trams - obviously mine is a tourist experience but just love the trams. So does my 5yo.

Dislikes

- don't like dark brick houses, feel heavy and cold to me. Had the same reaction in the uk though thought Melbourne houses were nicer than the uk on average - much prefer wooden queenslander houses with elevated decks, outdoor living, lightness of touch, warm air and a cool breeze in a subtropical environment.

- cold - felt lovely in the sun but when the chill came just thought no way - met an old couple originally from italy who were kicking themselves they didn't move somewhere warmer when they could. Everyone differs of course. Didn't feel that way in the uk but knew I wasn't going to live there forever.

- fauna - much prefer sub tropical feel in plants - Melbourne reminded me of uk. Feels dry and formal where I like lush and informal. On the drive home felt at home when hit central-northern nsw and foliage started to grow green and messy again.

- price - am able to afford inner city living and a short bicycle commute to the cbd in Brisbane. Don't think I could get close in Melbourne so a lot of melbournes advantages would be replaced by an outer suburban shopping mall :(

- hills - love the hills, trees and mountains in inner west/north Brisbane - inner Melbourne is flat and concrete covered in comparison.

- grittiness - dirty in parts and bit more on edge with little one with homeless on public transport. Big city issue of course.

Overall I thought it was a great city if you could live close in. Obviously everyone is different so personal taste is king. Sometimes just comes down to the feel of a place. In this way the OP may be right...more uk immigrants may find the feel of melbourne closer to what they are used to.

Guest AnubisUK

This thread has been a very interesting read for me! I moved to Sydney a few months ago, and while I really enjoy it, I do think I would struggle to actually settle here. Personally speaking, I think Sydney would be the kind of place I'd rather visit than live in, and I've read a lot of things about Melbourne that attract me, especially the stuff about the seasons and the more agreeable climate. As a Scotsman, I do struggle when it gets really hot here still!

A lot of my friends in the UK who have come to Australia actually said to me before I left that they thought I'd prefer Melbourne, so I'm going to visit the place this month, and make a decision then. Thanks for all your posts guys, it's been a very interesting read!

I do have one question about Melbourne, and if anyone could give me any ideas I'd be very grateful. One of the problems I've had in Sydney is that so many of the people I meet are transitory, as they are doing the whole traveling thing, and end up leaving about 3 weeks after I meet them, and I really struggle with that. I've got this impression that Melbourne is a bit more 'stable' in that the people you meet there are less likely to be travelers, so might be sticking around for longer. Is that fair to say, or am I totally wrong? I don't know why I think that way, it's just an assumption I've made for some reason!

There are a lot of transitory people here in Melbourne also. I know what you mean about Sydney though as when I lived there I was single and only knew the others I had gone with and lived with and did not make any other friendships.

Melbourne has something for every interest and people tend to do different things as there is no emphasis on the leagues clubs like there is in Sydney.

There is an active young group of Brits who meet up once a month in the city and usually post on here and there are other meetups around as well where you can expand your acquaintances and make new friendships.

I know it looks different to Sydney as Melbourne has very wide streets and its a grid system. Had to be able to turn a bullock cart around in the streets when they were formed. I found it confusing at first but you soon get used to it.

Transport is ok trams and trains mainly in the city area.

Good luck having a look.

This thread has been a very interesting read for me! I moved to Sydney a few months ago, and while I really enjoy it, I do think I would struggle to actually settle here. Personally speaking, I think Sydney would be the kind of place I'd rather visit than live in, and I've read a lot of things about Melbourne that attract me, especially the stuff about the seasons and the more agreeable climate. As a Scotsman, I do struggle when it gets really hot here still!

A lot of my friends in the UK who have come to Australia actually said to me before I left that they thought I'd prefer Melbourne, so I'm going to visit the place this month, and make a decision then. Thanks for all your posts guys, it's been a very interesting read!

I do have one question about Melbourne, and if anyone could give me any ideas I'd be very grateful. One of the problems I've had in Sydney is that so many of the people I meet are transitory, as they are doing the whole traveling thing, and end up leaving about 3 weeks after I meet them, and I really struggle with that. I've got this impression that Melbourne is a bit more 'stable' in that the people you meet there are less likely to be travelers, so might be sticking around for longer. Is that fair to say, or am I totally wrong? I don't know why I think that way, it's just an assumption I've made for some reason!

Firstly, welcome to PIO, don't believe I've seen you on here before :wubclub:

Great idea to visit Melbourne first.

I believe Melbourne has a lot going for it, as does Sydney. I think that the Melbourne vs Sydney argument depends on what you want. Neither place is better or worse. Melbourne is a fast paced city with beautiful buildings, markets, and a cafe culture. It has stunning scenery and beautiful coast line close by. All these things can also be said for Sydney though. I believe the only way to distinguish the two is the 'vibe'. I personally think Melbourne is one of the worlds great cities, and therefore the vibe of the place is more exciting, more accessible and friendlier than Sydney. There is just something about the place that draws me in! But this is only my humble opinion and each to their own!

As for the traveller thing. There are as many backpackers in Melbourne as Sydney. Guess its like a moth to a flame? Good cities attract backpackers. :jiggy:

Not sure this has been much help. Best advice = go there and see for yourself!

I'd like to visit Melbourne and Tassie, - we've only been to Perth, Sydney and Brisbane, Perth for us is an idilic location and we love it, I love the sights of Sydney but it is very much a holiday place for us, could have settled in Brisbane as a 2nd choice I think .

I think Melbourbe is a more vibrant place to live than Brisbane to be honest and is more attractive to look at...but it's like saying Cornwall is the best place in the UK it is not possible to work or move there for many.

I think Melbourbe is a more vibrant place to live than Brisbane to be honest and is more attractive to look at...but it's like saying Cornwall is the best place in the UK it is not possible to work or move there for many.

Have you considered a move to Melbourne then? Did you decide against it because of how expensive it is?

I have never been to Brisbane, but always thought it looked really attractive from pictures I have seen.

Have you considered a move to Melbourne then? Did you decide against it because of how expensive it is?

I have never been to Brisbane, but always thought it looked really attractive from pictures I have seen.

No because I have family in Brisbane, been on holiday twice and just liked it.

Me? Pedantic?

No, that's Perth, WA you're referring to with guaranteed long hot summers, massive houses, swimming pools, beach views, high incomes, outdoor lifestyles, etc.

Guest guest36762
No, that's Perth, WA you're referring to with guaranteed long hot summers, massive houses, swimming pools, beach views, high incomes, outdoor lifestyles, etc.

yeah, so long as you don't mind living in the arse end of nowhere:wink:

yeah, so long as you don't mind living in the arse end of nowhere:wink:

Why do you think that then? I love it here and couldn't imagine living in a better place.

You will probably give the same usual reasons about Perth being too far away from anywhere. That's a good thing to me.

Guest guest36762
Why do you think that then? I love it here and couldn't imagine living in a better place.

You will probably give the same usual reasons about Perth being too far away from anywhere. That's a good thing to me.

fair enough mate

yeah I hate people too, know how you feel

Guest guest36762
Over 2,000,000 people in and around Perth mate. Have to have a better reason than hating people.

:biglaugh:

Guest AnubisUK
Firstly, welcome to PIO, don't believe I've seen you on here before :wubclub:

Great idea to visit Melbourne first.

I believe Melbourne has a lot going for it, as does Sydney. I think that the Melbourne vs Sydney argument depends on what you want. Neither place is better or worse. Melbourne is a fast paced city with beautiful buildings, markets, and a cafe culture. It has stunning scenery and beautiful coast line close by. All these things can also be said for Sydney though. I believe the only way to distinguish the two is the 'vibe'. I personally think Melbourne is one of the worlds great cities, and therefore the vibe of the place is more exciting, more accessible and friendlier than Sydney. There is just something about the place that draws me in! But this is only my humble opinion and each to their own!

As for the traveller thing. There are as many backpackers in Melbourne as Sydney. Guess its like a moth to a flame? Good cities attract backpackers. :jiggy:

Not sure this has been much help. Best advice = go there and see for yourself!

There are a lot of transitory people here in Melbourne also. I know what you mean about Sydney though as when I lived there I was single and only knew the others I had gone with and lived with and did not make any other friendships.

Melbourne has something for every interest and people tend to do different things as there is no emphasis on the leagues clubs like there is in Sydney.

There is an active young group of Brits who meet up once a month in the city and usually post on here and there are other meetups around as well where you can expand your acquaintances and make new friendships.

I know it looks different to Sydney as Melbourne has very wide streets and its a grid system. Had to be able to turn a bullock cart around in the streets when they were formed. I found it confusing at first but you soon get used to it.

Transport is ok trams and trains mainly in the city area.

Good luck having a look.

Thanks a lot guys :) I'm definitely going to do the move to Melbourne at the end of this month. The good thing is I'm not tied down to any one place, so if I don't like it I can just move on :D Would love to get involved in one of the meets when I do arrive :)

Feeling excited about the move :D

We had no choice because of family to move to Melbourne, but think its the best choice. The seasons are great, if it was hot all the time I wouldnt like it. I think its great that there is snow in winter (i know this is the same in other places as well) great beaches in the summer. Spring is great for getting things done around the house outside as its not to hot (if its not raining) and Autumn is much the same. There is no end of things to do and generally a welcoming feel to the place. The Melbourne people are proud of their city and it is one of the best in the world, I dont get in that often but love going in for a concert etc. I know a lot of these things are the same anywhere but I think once you understand Melbourne and Victoria and how everything works you really start to appreciate what it has to offer. It may not be the best holiday destination compared to Sydney or QLD and could be easily overlooked on first impressions. You really need some local knowledge and advice as to the best places to go and a car to get around and it takes time. I cant comment on QLD but in Sydney there is a lot of stuff to do in and around the city and it didnt take much effort to find where things were, I had a great time there, but I always felt a bit more at home in Melbourne.

Archived