Do we have to pay school fees - Perth

minnie659

Hi

We are planning on coming on either 457 to be quick or PR. Would we have to pay school fees? I think I read that state schools we dont. If thats true would you recommend to pay private schooling? This maybe a problem at first if my husband cant find a job.

Thanks

Hi, there are no 'fees' for state schools in WA what is being referred to is a 'voluntary' contribution, this varies from school to school but is around $200. You will also get a 'book list', this includes all the books, stationery etc for the year and can be another $200. And depending on the schools uniforms can be IMHO rather pretentious and have to be bought at specific shops. So costs are greater than the UK and it's hard not to pay the 'voluntary' contribution, though we haven't this year - I do keep being sent an invoice although I was asked if I intended to pay and said yes!

Jules

Jules above has answered the question for you. Our school charges $45 per child for the voluntary contribution. We have about 25% of parents that don't pay. Some can't afford and many english families we have refuse to pay as they say education should be free! all I would say is that schools rely heavily on that contribution to top up the budget they receive from the government. I know education shouldn't have to be paid for but I describe the contribution as the cream on top of the milk. It just gives the school that little bit extra to buy materials. we also try and limit our book lists (we are a state primary) to not much more than $100 per child.

Hi, there are no 'fees' for state schools in WA what is being referred to is a 'voluntary' contribution, this varies from school to school but is around $200. You will also get a 'book list', this includes all the books, stationery etc for the year and can be another $200. And depending on the schools uniforms can be IMHO rather pretentious and have to be bought at specific shops. So costs are greater than the UK and it's hard not to pay the 'voluntary' contribution, though we haven't this year - I do keep being sent an invoice although I was asked if I intended to pay and said yes!

Jules

It depends on the age of the child - at our school from year 10 onwards fees for courses are compulsory and we do get debt collectors in for non payment. The amount all depends on which courses are chosen.

It depends on the age of the child - at our school from year 10 onwards fees for courses are compulsory and we do get debt collectors in for non payment. The amount all depends on which courses are chosen.

Is this because it is post-compulsary education? I believed it was illegal to charge fees for compulsary state education?

Guest itskaren

I have a problem with people complaining about school fees. We have paid no taxes to the Australian government and yet we all expect ''free'' education! It is only a very small fee for state schools anyway!

I appreciate this happens in the UK ... but still .. makes me mad.

Hiya,

I am looking into state schools I wouldnt be able to afford private schools. :shocked:

How much are school fees for state school that all parents pay?

Thanks

The private schools here aren,t like the English private schools and are not nearly as expensive. There are a lot of them too, so a good choice. Our eldest went to a local public school and he's turned out fine. Our youngest has a learning difficulty and attends a local private school. Simply because they seemed to have a better program for kids with learning difficulties. So far he's enjoying it. Gets heaps more homework than his brother used to, sometimes I think too much to be useful, but he tries to get on with it. Due to his difficulties though, it takes him hours to do some fairly simple things so it may be more to do with him.

No complaints about the schooling really.

Jules above has answered the question for you. Our school charges $45 per child for the voluntary contribution. We have about 25% of parents that don't pay. Some can't afford and many english families we have refuse to pay as they say education should be free! all I would say is that schools rely heavily on that contribution to top up the budget they receive from the government. I know education shouldn't have to be paid for but I describe the contribution as the cream on top of the milk. It just gives the school that little bit extra to buy materials. we also try and limit our book lists (we are a state primary) to not much more than $100 per child.

You can see where this is going to lead. If you end up in a school with lots of English parents "refusing" to pay the extra, because they don't think they should, the school is going to suffer in the long term and slip behind other schools.

It's the Australian way and people should accept it and get on board. If not it's left to the few people who carry on paying to pay even more. The worst scenario is that people who are happy to pay realise pretty quickly what is happening, pull their kids out and put them in a school where people are willing to contirute.

It's one of the things that will put Aussie parents backs up if they get wind of English parents moaning about paying fees and the comments like "i'm not paying, we didn't used to have to pay in England and I'm not going to do it here". Can you see why??

You can see where this is going to lead. If you end up in a school with lots of English parents "refusing" to pay the extra, because they don't think they should, the school is going to suffer in the long term and slip behind other schools.

It's the Australian way and people should accept it and get on board. If not it's left to the few people who carry on paying to pay even more. The worst scenario is that people who are happy to pay realise pretty quickly what is happening, pull their kids out and put them in a school where people are willing to contirute.

It's one of the things that will put Aussie parents backs up if they get wind of English parents moaning about paying fees and the comments like "i'm not paying, we didn't used to have to pay in England and I'm not going to do it here". Can you see why??

If you have a good teaching staff and good principal there isn't any reason the school should slip behind other schools. We are exceptionally fortunate that our school performs well, is considerably smaller than some neighbouring schools and we live in a good socioeconomic area. I agree and the 'we don't do it like that in England' brigade wind both parents and staff up. Parents and staff also get wound up by the british parents who think their child is a genius because they can read and write a few words in Reception year. thankfully the schools are different here and my children have thrived since coming here. I send my kids to state primary school and due to my local catchment high school being a no-go zone I have opted for private high school next year. I hope my experience there is as positive.

Guest itskaren

I couldn't agree more! I am sometimes ashamed to be English.

Hi

Thanks for you help everyone. The fees are reasonable I was expecting a lot more. How much are fees for private schooling if we were unable to get my children into state school? I have a list of schools I want to see so we can look at houses around the area. I don't mind paying voluntary contribution in some ways uk may have to opt for this, due to government cut backs. I don't mind.

Hi

Thanks for you help everyone. The fees are reasonable I was expecting a lot more. How much are fees for private schooling if we were unable to get my children into state school? I have a list of schools I want to see so we can look at houses around the area. I don't mind paying voluntary contribution in some ways uk may have to opt for this, due to government cut backs. I don't mind.

It varies hugely as there are different types of independent schools. I'd say they range from $4k to $18k a year but that's a bit of a guess. My DS's school is $900 a term per child plus $250 voluntary per family and you can pay weekly/monthly if you want.

His school is classed a 'community' school. The church affiliated schools are at the lower end of the range too. Catholic schools tend to have a good reputation if you are that way inclined or at least don't mind, they do admit non Catholics.

One thing to consider is it gives you freedom to live wherever rather than being tied to catchment areas and that has worked very well for us. We live 7 mins from his school but in the next 'city' - the difference in house prices is huge, we paid $610k and two streets away we'd have paid $1.5m, we have saved the school fees many times over.

Just like the UK good schools result in higher housing prices in the catchment area and they are also in areas where it's hard to find rentals. For us choosing private avoided a lot of stress when we first migrated.

Hi

My experience was schools weren't keen to show you around until you were actually living in the catchment area. Maybe that just says something about those schools but I guess they do need to use their time and resources wisely and there are very many migrants each year.

It's another reason we opted out the state system it was all too difficult to bring together - we got our visa and moved 3 weeks later so not much time

to organise everything.

Guest edwardsfamily

hi all,

just a bit of info....

i have 3 children all at school in the uk

our eldest is at a grammar school and we have to pay £25 per year voluntary contribution and for our 2 boys in primary we are about to start paying £20 per term (£10 each child). We also have to supply all stationary etc for them to use at school. This isnt exactly a free education either but am happy to pay it if my children get what they need.

Like it has been said, the moaning english over in oz already may not realise that this is happening in uk as well.

I wish the costs in NSW werent as bad - $4500 per child per year on a 457 visa & that is before the extras like uniform & stationery etc.

Seems unfair that this is the only state in Oz that charge for this - I have contacted a few Catholic schools whose fees work out less than that & they are private education. I am happy to send my children to these schools as they are brought up practising Catholics so its only logic I should do that.

I am still in the early stages in the Visa process but if I can get the fees in the 1st year paid for as part of the relocation package for my two daughters then that will help alot. Fingers crossed.

I wish the costs in NSW werent as bad - $4500 per child per year on a 457 visa & that is before the extras like uniform & stationery etc.

Seems unfair that this is the only state in Oz that charge for this - I have contacted a few Catholic schools whose fees work out less than that & they are private education. I am happy to send my children to these schools as they are brought up practising Catholics so its only logic I should do that.

I am still in the early stages in the Visa process but if I can get the fees in the 1st year paid for as part of the relocation package for my two daughters then that will help alot. Fingers crossed.

I have known employers pay school fees for the life of the 457 visa (& this is in WA where state schools are 'free'!) so it's certainly possible. There are some first class Catholic schools and as a practising Catholic it really is the obvious choice.

Don't assume 'private' automatically means a better quality education though. There are no state catholic schools so expect the variation in standards to be as great as in Catholic schools in the UK.

457 visa's are taking less than 3 months at the moment (as an employer we got one through in 5, another in 9) so you may be just starting but you better get packing!! :))

Good luck, Jules x

Guest AussieGold

Unfortunately the myth of a free education in Aus is just that a myth....it cost you no matter what you choose private or public. It depends on what state you are in and what catchment area your school is located as to how much it will cost. And "voluntary" (sp?) fees are a crock....you HAVE to pay them sooner or later. If you want an education here in Aus, you have to pay for it, simple as that....personally i think you poms have it right when it comes to education fees.

AG

Archived