Just wondering how the Commonwealth games are going?

tracy123

LOL Tracy you make me laff!!! cool fishing rainbow pic!!

I watched the netball yesterday England V Australia really good game and England put up a great defense in the first 2 quarters,. However I think it was enough to boost the Aussie lasses into going for it cuz they blazed to a strong win. Im an English girl living in Australia and I was watching the match and thinking how great both teams were for differrent reasons (probably cuz i like netball as a game LOL!!) at the end of the day someone has to win and I didnt mind that the Aussies won.

Looking forward to the final!! should be a great match to watch. Hmmmm...funny how the boys like to watch the womens netball too LOL!!!! pure;y for the game itself of course :rolleyes:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

No offence but I can't take netball seriously as a game played outside of school. I honestly used to think it was just a game girls played at school until I saw it on TV once, weird. :biggrin:

LOL I know what you mean Chris but seeing as they are making commonwealth, olympic sports out of anything these days I fully expect to see things like dwarf throwing or cow tipping somewhere amongst the 2012 olympics LOL!!! its a mad mad mad world. I mean I wouldnt even have heard of 'Curling' before the Scottish won at it in the olympics lol. Who thinks these games up??? sweeping ice to make a rock go faster across it?? wow :huh:

heheheh anyways im off to watch more games!! lol

Cheers:swoon:

Guest chris955

Was it BMX that was an Olympic sport for awhile ? What about Chess and Monopoly ? They are very exciting spectator sports :biggrin:

No-one is saying that every nation doesn't want sporting success but it is the obsessive nature of this country to sport and winning that I feel isn't healthy. We all want our sportsmen and women to do well but if they don't then we should just say well done better luck next time. Here any failure is picked over with a fine tooth comb and analysed for signs of weakness, just get over it and move on.

When my father in law first visited us years ago he remarked that all the country seems to think about was winning and back then when Australia actually beat England in cricket, rugby etc it went past obsession.

I know what you mean Chris and that too is true in many ways, but I was listening to one of the UK commentators the other day and they were starting to do the same thing, and also reading the UK newspapers they were going over lots of little points for this or that. I like sport a lot, but it is just really a game there are more important things in life, for those of us that have had some life changing events happen to them in recent years it makes you think about money and hype spent on sport.

Guest chris955

Yes I know what you mean, when I read half the nonsense on here I just think really who cares if this country has more debt than that one or they have slightly more unemployed or whatever, it's all points scoring in the end. Have a laugh and if you need to worry at least worry about important stuff.

I like sport a lot, but it is just really a game there are more important things in life, for those of us that have had some life changing events happen to them in recent years it makes you think about money and hype spent on sport.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Apparently the reason why the Aussies are better than us at sport is because they pick up the dead kangaroos that are ALL over the highways and pile them up and hurdle them, or high jump over them and pick them up by their tails and hammer throw them, whilst................... been forced to drink VB beer until they break the world record. LOL..................... thats why they are better than us, damn it.

Guest guest37336

Could be wrong here, but the reason why 'generally' the Aussies are very good at sport is I 'think' their mentality.

They have the mindset of to just take part is not good enough, win at all (nearly) all costs, the reason are may but the one thing I think plays a very significant role in their psyche is this.

Australia is and does not want to be a big player in the grand scheme of things, that is not a criticism by the way, they are of the mindset that Australia is Australia and to get too involved in world politics etc, is not that important to them. They are more concerned with pride and passion in their OWN country.

They look after their own to some extent, and will do (most times) what is good for them and bugger the opinions of other countries, again, not a criticism.

This mindset has lead to an 'OK, lets show em, whilst we may a small fish in a big pond we will beat any bugger in sport, it's the one of things we are excellent at and this enables us to show Australia to the rest of the world.'

Maybe it comes across as arrogance, self infatuation, egotistical, but that is to the OUTSIDE world. To the Aussies they are proud of the fact that even though their population is relatively small for the land mass they still manage to roll out great sporting teams over many years.

You will very rarely see an Aussies head drop in a sporting contest, even when they are on the losing end, they will play their hearts out until the final whistle, and very simply this comes from a great pride in putting their national jersey/kit on.

For them the reward is very rarely 'self' but much more for 'country'. It took me a long time to get used to this mindset, and in truth it still grates a little with me, but I admire their attitude and positiveness in most sports.

As for 'sportsmanship', OK, so at times they take the rules to the limit, but have we forgotten our 'proud' history of gamesmanship, Zola Budd, Michael Atherton, failed drug tests, etc. We would all like to win at sport, but until pride is the main contributing factor then I'm afraid to say it is a silly argument, IMO anyway.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Guest chris955

I agree with much of what you are saying but definitely not the part about not wanting to be a big player, Australia has always wanted to be one of the big boys but of course can't. They are very concerned about how the world sees this country, this is why when someone overseas makes a comment about the country it makes the news.

Could be wrong here, but the reason why 'generally' the Aussies are very good at sport is I 'think' their mentality.

They have the mindset of to just take part is not good enough, win at all (nearly) all costs, the reason are may but the one thing I think plays a very significant role in their psyche is this.

Australia is and does not want to be a big player in the grand scheme of things, that is not a criticism by the way, they are of the mindset that Australia is Australia and to get too involved in world politics etc, is not that important to them. They are more concerned with pride and passion in their OWN country.

They look after their own to some extent, and will do (most times) what is good for them and bugger the opinions of other countries, again, not a criticism.

This mindset has lead to an 'OK, lets show em, whilst we may a small fish in a big pond we will beat any bugger in sport, it's the one of things we are excellent at and this enables us to show Australia to the rest of the world.'

Maybe it comes across as arrogance, self infatuation, egotistical, but that is to the OUTSIDE world. To the Aussies they are proud of the fact that even though their population is relatively small for the land mass they still manage to roll out great sporting teams over many years.

You will very rarely see an Aussies head drop in a sporting contest, even when they are on the losing end, they will play their hearts out until the final whistle, and very simply this comes from a great pride in putting their national jersey/kit on.

For them the reward is very rarely 'self' but much more for 'country'. It took me a long time to get used to this mindset, and in truth it still grates a little with me, but I admire their attitude and positiveness in most sports.

As for 'sportsmanship', OK, so at times they take the rules to the limit, but have we forgotten our 'proud' history of gamesmanship, Zola Budd, Michael Atherton, failed drug tests, etc. We would all like to win at sport, but until pride is the main contributing factor then I'm afraid to say it is a silly argument, IMO anyway.

LOL Tracy you make me laff!!! cool fishing rainbow pic!!

I watched the netball yesterday England V Australia really good game and England put up a great defense in the first 2 quarters,. However I think it was enough to boost the Aussie lasses into going for it cuz they blazed to a strong win. Im an English girl living in Australia and I was watching the match and thinking how great both teams were for differrent reasons (probably cuz i like netball as a game LOL!!) at the end of the day someone has to win and I didnt mind that the Aussies won.

Looking forward to the final!! should be a great match to watch. Hmmmm...funny how the boys like to watch the womens netball too LOL!!!! pure;y for the game itself of course :rolleyes:

i don't think it's the netball they are really watching:jiggy:

Was it BMX that was an Olympic sport for awhile ? What about Chess and Monopoly ? They are very exciting spectator sports :biggrin:

you must know about futsal?

brilliant sport and it just cannot get into the olympics, and it's the most popular indoor sport in the world

God knows what will be said if it doesn't get into the olympics in brazil

How come that England protested against Australia in the 100 metres, when the pommie sheila broke first?:yes: Both should have been disqualified.

Sportsmanship...It is a farce because big money can be had in the right (popular) sports.

But then again, I love to see the commonwealth and olympic games athletes competing and all who take part can be proud that they were good enough to represent their country.

But cheats, that is, drug takers should be banned for life, imo.

Cheers, Bobj.

How come that England protested against Australia in the 100 metres, when the pommie sheila broke first?:yes: Both should have been disqualified.

Sportsmanship...It is a farce because big money can be had in the right (popular) sports.

But then again, I love to see the commonwealth and olympic games athletes competing and all who take part can be proud that they were good enough to represent their country.

But cheats, that is, drug takers should be banned for life, imo.

Cheers, Bobj.

Laura Turner was disqualified for her false start. It wasn't until after the race when Pearson said that she 'twitched' first and was hoping that she didn't get pulled up on it that the English officials lodged an objection. The Australian team have said they'd have done exactly the same thing if things had been reversed. :yes:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Sorry to burst your Aussie are the best, bubbles, but............... the countries of the uk won more medals than you big down under boys and girls, take a look...................

Final medal table at the 19th Commonwealth Games, which closed in Delhi on Monday.

............Gold..Silver..Bronze..Total

Australia 74......55.......48......177.

England 37......59.......46......142.

Scotland 9.......10.......7.........26.

Northern

Ireland ...3....... 3....... 4........ 10

Wales ....2....... 7...... 10....... 19

NA NA NANA NAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Sorry to burst your Aussie are the best, bubbles, but............... the countries of the uk won more medals than you big down under boys and girls, take a look...................

Final medal table at the 19th Commonwealth Games, which closed in Delhi on Monday.

Northern

Also rans...:tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

Er...61 million against 22 million...

Cheers, Bobj.

Cheers, Bobj.

Northern

I guess it just goes to show how much england relies on its neighbours

Guest chris955

Exactly, it's the Commonwealth Games, does anyone even know they happened ?

Bring on the Ashes, a proper competition. :biggrin:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Cheers, Bobj.

Cheers, Bobj.

I guess it just goes to show how much england relies on its neighbours

Kind Regards

Geoffrey (32, an aussie!!), Tracy (35), Jake (7), Jessica (2) & Joseph (1) :jiggy:

Hi lads

i never watched a second of it, and Australia were the tops, i just thought i'd have a laugh with the figures and Bob is right, we have 3 times more people here in England, so we should be doing better than Australia, i wonder why we arn't?

I agree, you wouldn't see the Aussies claiming Kiwis as their own would you ? :wink::laugh:

What's going on here?????????? :confused:

You agreeing with me????:shocked: Mind you it was against Jim, so it might not count :biglaugh:

Or was it your wife???? :wink:

Guest guest32776

Cheers, Bobj.

Cheers, Bobj.

Er... millions of inventions against the rotary washing line...:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: LOL

Archived