North or South or the river....whats best?!

laurab1987

Hi there,

Me and my family are going to Perth in March 2011 for 6 weeks to check it out and make sure its somewhere we want to live before we apply for our visas. I have heard a lot of things about different suburbs north and south of the river and the general consensus if that north is full of English and some of them are not that desirable......this is obviously not what we want as that's one of the reasons why we want to move from England. We live near London at the mo and would like a quiet life in Oz for our family, we have a young son who is only 5 months at the mo and plan to have a couple more children eventually. Can anyone recommend any nice suburbs not to far in the sticks but where therer are nice family people and good schools? We have a friend who lives in Fremantle but think we would like somewhere quieter than this. Also what are the commutes like in to the city? I am an accountant and im hoping I will get a job outside of Perth but if not I will need to commute!

Any help would be much appreciated :confused:

Hiya,

We did a reccie to perth just over a year ago, it was fantastic. We had heard there were many ex brits in Northern suburbs but to be honest all we found were like minded, and although brits, they are enjoying and embracing the aussie lifestyle!

SOR was amazing, seems there is alot more space, and we loved it there too. I'd say from our experience its an easier commute to the city from NOR. But we did only stay 2 weeks and we stayed in Duncraig. So i suppose we cant really comment about SOR too much.

We'd love to stay in touch and hear how your reccie went. We are hoping to get visa through in early 2011 and make the move in August. Would love to stay in touch and hear all about your reccie and future plans! Am quite confident you will love it!!

Also, my OH is an accountant hoping to work in the city!!

Michelle xx

It's difficult to suggest places because each of us will like where we live for different reasons. We for example live in an older suburb which won't be everyones cup of tea because of that, but for us we're 20 mins from a lot of the things we need - beach, City, Fremantle,

Try not to decide yet but explore on your rekki, my hubby has been working in Bunbury all week and people have been saying - have you come down from Perth like it's a million miles away lol. Distance here in WA is vast.

Have fun on your rekki

You are asking the million dollar question!!

We live in South Fremantle, its absolutely lovely, I wake up every morning and see the ocean and feel very very lucky, its as quiet as we want it to be but with Freo on our doorstep, and although Freo is classed as a city it really is a laid back little town with lovely cafes, you feel very relaxed and chilled here but it also has a great diverse community feel about it, we have a little girl of 3 and we have access to everything she needs here.

So obviously Im going to say SOR but there are places SOR where I wouldn't want to live too!

It is rumoured to be 'full of brits' in the norther suburbs but I don't know how true that is, I also believe there are loads of other nationalities up there along with quite a few aussies too. There are some stunning houses in the northern suburbs and I believe you can get alot more for your money up there. Before we came out we were constantly recommended to move up there and based on the houses I saw on realestate.com I was sold but my husband put his foot down as he wasn't prepared to do the commute. We have driven up to the northern suburbs a few times wondering if we were 'missing out' and I have to say that the general feeling I got was fabulous houses on big big housing estates but no community feel about it, quite soul less.

Thats just my opinion and Im sure others will strongly disagree.

Guest Guest26012
Hi there,

Me and my family are going to Perth in March 2011 for 6 weeks to check it out and make sure its somewhere we want to live before we apply for our visas. I have heard a lot of things about different suburbs north and south of the river and the general consensus if that north is full of English and some of them are not that desirable......this is obviously not what we want as that's one of the reasons why we want to move from England. We live near London at the mo and would like a quiet life in Oz for our family, we have a young son who is only 5 months at the mo and plan to have a couple more children eventually. Can anyone recommend any nice suburbs not to far in the sticks but where therer are nice family people and good schools? We have a friend who lives in Fremantle but think we would like somewhere quieter than this. Also what are the commutes like in to the city? I am an accountant and im hoping I will get a job outside of Perth but if not I will need to commute!

Any help would be much appreciated :confused:

We live NOR and have done for nearly 3 years! Lots of Brits but lots of ozzies too! Undesirables in Brits and Ozzies wherever you go. Dont be influenced on your choice by what a handful of people tell you, you need to make your choice yourselves! SOR is nice too! NOR is just where we settled and we love it! :biggrin:

Thanks for all your replies guys! Much appreciated : ) We are really looking forward to our trip and having a look around.

Thanks for your message Michelle, I will let you know how the trip goes and if we prefer north or south!! Let me know where you decide to live and whether your hubby manages to get work ok, il be really interested to know how the commute is also : ) wishing you all the best! xx

You are asking the million dollar question!!

We live in South Fremantle, its absolutely lovely, I wake up every morning and see the ocean and feel very very lucky, its as quiet as we want it to be but with Freo on our doorstep, and although Freo is classed as a city it really is a laid back little town with lovely cafes, you feel very relaxed and chilled here but it also has a great diverse community feel about it, we have a little girl of 3 and we have access to everything she needs here.

So obviously Im going to say SOR but there are places SOR where I wouldn't want to live too!

It is rumoured to be 'full of brits' in the norther suburbs but I don't know how true that is, I also believe there are loads of other nationalities up there along with quite a few aussies too. There are some stunning houses in the northern suburbs and I believe you can get alot more for your money up there. Before we came out we were constantly recommended to move up there and based on the houses I saw on realestate.com I was sold but my husband put his foot down as he wasn't prepared to do the commute. We have driven up to the northern suburbs a few times wondering if we were 'missing out' and I have to say that the general feeling I got was fabulous houses on big big housing estates but no community feel about it, quite soul less.

Thats just my opinion and Im sure others will strongly disagree.

Hi ...i wake up every morning and fell as tho there sis so much to do .....dont waste time staying in bed ...get out and explore this beutiful country .....u dont have to go far ........its all around the corner .......

gotta say SOR is the place to be away from the brits ......and the concrete jungle .....if u go nor too far you will end up feeling your in a council estate , no green all kids playing on the roads even tho there are parks .......its like little England and bird flock together ......if u want to stick with the brits , then head up that way...!!!! smaller houses ...and no garden .....! value for money is in the Sor and the beaches are fantastic ........plus its not as busy ......we chill they ........they take what they can when they can .....as its just too busy .........

gotta say SOR is the place to be away from the brits ......and the concrete jungle .....if u go nor too far you will end up feeling your in a council estate , no green all kids playing on the roads even tho there are parks .......its like little England and bird flock together ......if u want to stick with the brits , then head up that way...!!!! smaller houses ...and no garden .....! value for money is in the Sor and the beaches are fantastic ........plus its not as busy ......we chill they ........they take what they can when they can .....as its just too busy .........

excuse me nick !!!! they take what they can when they can .....as its just too busy .........pmsl exactly what do we take ? by the way ive got a 900sm block so i have a garden lol

the truth is there are poms all along the coast north and south also s/ afrcans and lots and lots of aussies , if you go inland or the hills area there are not as many poms

for some reason the british are attracted to the coast i lived in the hills and the swan for 15 years and most of my friends were aussies as is my hubby ,

thirty years ago south of the river rockingham etc was where a lot of the poms went

Cool, we will check out SOR definitley, my partner has a friend in Freo so we will be looking aroud there anyway. We would rather live in a suburb than a city, we are looking for some peace and quiet and def no concrete jungles or council estates!! Thanks for ur thoughts and advice!:biggrin:

Cool, we will check out SOR definitley, my partner has a friend in Freo so we will be looking aroud there anyway. We would rather live in a suburb than a city, we are looking for some peace and quiet and def no concrete jungles or council estates!! Thanks for ur thoughts and advice!:biggrin:

your more than welcome ...if we can help further we will ......its all in the line of duty Ma`aM ` .....

Archived