QLD Driving Licence

PARBUTTN

Hi,

Please could anyone tell me about getting a QLD diving licence. Do you have to undergo a test of any sort or is it a straight forward swap. Websites seem to differ, but it looks like it is a very necessary form of ID and many forms etc are asking me to provide QLD licence.

thanks

Here is link from Queensland Government website:

Driving in Queensland with a foreign licence (Department of Transport and Main Roads)

Had a look at it myself as that is one of the first things on the 'to do list' when we get there but its not clear how long you can drive on your UK licence, I have seen 3 months on one of the info pdf's included in the visa grant letter, but I have also read on one of these threads somewhere 6 months, but I guess as its a necessary from of ID - the sooner the better!

Here is link from Queensland Government website:

Driving in Queensland with a foreign licence (Department of Transport and Main Roads)

Had a look at it myself as that is one of the first things on the 'to do list' when we get there but its not clear how long you can drive on your UK licence, I have seen 3 months on one of the info pdf's included in the visa grant letter, but I have also read on one of these threads somewhere 6 months, but I guess as its a necessary from of ID - the sooner the better!

Hi thanks for info, it's what I have already read, it just wasn't clear about tests as it does state you may have to under go tests. I think this maybe applies for other foreign nationals who don't really speak english. Oh well we find out how easy ,soon enough!!!

Thats what I'm confused about!!! I did open a bank account 6mths ago though, so i'll give them my temp address and get statement or something. I already have bank cards so that counts on the requirement list.

Nicki x

Its so hard cos when you start looking into things you realise you need certain things to get other things there doesnt seem to be one starting point!!!

Only thing we will have will be a holiday let address!! lol x

I really hope we are looking into everything too much and worrying. One thing I realised whilst in Oz is that everyone is so friendly and we only have to ask!!!

Yeh me too - its pretty daunghting when you start getting into it!!:chatterbox:

Where abouts in QLD are you heading?

Thats what I'm confused about!!! I did open a bank account 6mths ago though, so i'll give them my temp address and get statement or something. I already have bank cards so that counts on the requirement list.

Nicki x

That's the thing to do. It's the only way really.

We were lucky as we had given our cousin's address to the bank so we were able to use that initially then when a bill came through for our rental we went and changed the licence. A very easy process!

You will not need to take any test, the UK is what they call a "prescribed country" and does not require us to take a written or practical test.

Yu have 3 months to change you licence.

Getting a Queensland licence (for overseas licence holders) (Department of Transport and Main Roads)

this is the form for renewal, it shows what evidence you need to give to change your licence over.

http://www.support.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/formsdat.nsf/forms/QF3000/$file/F3000_es.pdf

fhello,

We have been here about 8 weeks so have just gone through all this. When we first got here we had to go to the bank to activate our accounts and pick up our bank cards, the banks printed off a statement of our account which was registered to our temporary address and certified it. We used that initially as proof of address for stuff along with our passports. Once we had moved into our longer term rental we again got a statement from the bank with our new address on it, this and our rental agreement provided proof of address for our Queensland driving licence. We didn't need to take a test, it was just a case of filling in a form and paying for it, after choosing how long we wanted the licence for. Hope this helps.

Sx

We could drive on our UK licence for 3 months, although have since been told that it is now 6. Either way it is something you need to get sooner rather later as it stops you carting your passport everywhere with you.

fhello,

We have been here about 8 weeks so have just gone through all this. When we first got here we had to go to the bank to activate our accounts and pick up our bank cards, the banks printed off a statement of our account which was registered to our temporary address and certified it. We used that initially as proof of address for stuff along with our passports. Once we had moved into our longer term rental we again got a statement from the bank with our new address on it, this and our rental agreement provided proof of address for our Queensland driving licence. We didn't need to take a test, it was just a case of filling in a form and paying for it, after choosing how long we wanted the licence for. Hope this helps.

Sx

We could drive on our UK licence for 3 months, although have since been told that it is now 6. Either way it is something you need to get sooner rather later as it stops you carting your passport everywhere with you.

So did you wait to apply for your QLD License until you had secured a long term rental with a permanent address?

How long did it take you to find and secure a permanent rental (we are only in a holiday for 3 weeks), if you dont mind me being nosey..?!!

Julie x x

How long did it take you to find and secure a permanent rental (we are only in a holiday for 3 weeks), if you dont mind me being nosey..?!!

Julie x x

Hi

Just thought that I would answer this as when we arrived we only had temp accommodation for 3 weeks also, but had no trouble finding a permanent rental in that time, did lots of driving around and viewed around 6 or 7 properties and moved into our house 2 days before our temp accommodation ran out.

Hope that helps,

Jane

Hi

Just thought that I would answer this as when we arrived we only had temp accommodation for 3 weeks also, but had no trouble finding a permanent rental in that time, did lots of driving around and viewed around 6 or 7 properties and moved into our house 2 days before our temp accommodation ran out.

Hope that helps,

Jane

Hi Jane

Thanks for that - at least there is hope for us then!! We have to fly to Sydney to collect the dog from quarantine just after our holiday let runs out so fingers crossed we are as lucky as you to find something permanent quickly!! :wink:

Julie x x

Archived