Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'driving'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Moving to Australia
    • Visa Chat
    • Working and Skilled Visas
    • Family / Partner Visas
    • Visitor Visas
    • Studying and Training Visas
    • Other Visas
    • Repealed and Closed Visas
    • Shipping and Removals
  • Life in Australia
    • Citizenship
    • Aussie Chat
    • Household
    • Renting & Real Estate
    • Money & Finance
    • Education
    • Health
    • Careers and Vacancies
    • Kids Down Under
    • Pets
    • Socialising Hobbies Clubs Sport
    • Travel
  • Australian States & Territories
    • ACT
    • New South Wales
    • Northern Territory
    • Queensland
    • South Australia
    • Tasmania
    • Victoria
    • Western Australia
  • Partner Forums
    • Financial Advice: Ask Vista
    • Shipping Pets: Ask Pet Air
  • Moving to the UK
    • UK Chat
    • Education
    • Where to Live?
    • Money and Finance
  • PomsInOz Specific
    • Chewing the fat


  • Migration
  • Living in Australia
  • Jobs and Careers
  • Moving to Australia Real Life Stories
  • Money and Finance
  • Transport
  • Where to live in Australia?
    • Victoria
    • Queensland
    • New South Wales
    • Tasmania
    • Western Australia
    • South Australia
  • Backpacking
  • News
  • Forum Help

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



Found 288 results

  1. KangaKit

    Driving licence on a 491 visa qld

    Has anyone broached the subject of getting an aussie licence on a 491 visa? I understand if u r a visitor u can drive for 12 months on a uk one, a permanent resident for 3 months, but can find no info on a 491visa
  2. Riccardo

    Drink Driving Convictions

    Hi everyone, I have applied with my partner for the 186 Visa and he has 2 drink driving convictions (one in 2008 and one in 2015). In both convictions he has received a fine and the license was suspended for 8 months (no jail time and no one was injured). On his student visa he hasn't declared those offences and the visa was granted. We then discovered that he couldn't apply for a further visa due to PIC4020 for the next 12 months so he left the country. Will Immigration be ok with these 2 drink driving? We have gathered character references (one of them is from the Sponsor) and he did a statement saying how he reformed since. I have been in the country for 5 years working for the same Sponsor and we want to make sure that he will pass the Character Test.
  3. Hello all! I've been living in Brisbane for almost 3 years with my Aussie gf. I'm currently on a Bridging Visa while I wait for the first part of my Partner Visa to be completed (been waiting 19 months, and lived here for 12 months prior to that on WHV). So 3 years in August. I was moving apartments on Monday and I lost my wallet - all bank cards, and also my UK drivers license. So what can I do about getting a new/replacement license? From all my research, I don't think I can technically get either my UK license replaced or get a QLD license? I don't think I can get an International Driving Permit either. I have a photocopy of my license but not the hard copy. Any suggestions please? TIA Shaun
  4. Benjamin Allen

    Provisional UK Driving License

    Hello Been trying to find the answers to these questions but everywhere seems to point me towards different info. I've arrived in Queensland I'm 25 and I have held a provisional UK driving license for 5 years. What license can I get in Australia? What tests do I have to take? And at what stage will I be able to drive on my own? Thanks Ben
  5. Splashdown events team

    Gold Coast jobs

    We are based on the Gold Coast and looking to expand our events team. Here on the coast and supporting our global team. Have UK base as well as Gold Coast looking for a person whom is hands on. Can think out of the box. Doesn’t mind long hours when needed. Many of our team have gone through the hard work of getting a visa! job is only suitable for a practical hands on person past plumbing or electrical knowledge is a major advantage if you are soon to arrive or just arrived let us know richard@splashdown.group Good luck with your move richard
  6. Fcalderwood

    Drink driving offence

    Hello I applied and got my working visa granted back in January but in February I got drink driving on my record. I haven't really thought much about it effecting my already granted visa. But I fly over next week and wondering should I have done something about it and what may happen when I get there???
  7. Hey lovely gang, Slightly random one, have been meaning to ask for a while. I came to Australia on a 417 WHV and have been driving on my UK license since I arrived, I recently applied for a 489 for Tasmania and am on a bridging visa while I await the outcome. Is now a good time to apply for a Tassie driving license or do I need to wait until I actually have the visa grant? I don't want to bother if it's too early, but I also don't want to be driving on my UK license if I'm supposed to be on a Tasmanian one. Thanks a million. Anna. :-)
  8. I've been living here a while now and I can't seem to understand how the direction signs are so badly done in Australia cities. There are signs for some junctions but none for others. And they are usually at the junction, this isn't helpful when the road is several lanes wide and at the opposite side of the junction there is a road sign. But if there is a sign is it usually for the city centre which can be pretty far away in an Australian city and doesn't really help when you are trying to find other suburbs, that are not the city. Don't get me wrong some things are done pretty well, such as street names everywhere and easy to see.
  9. Swapping UK license for Oz license cost $60 for 1 year and $100+ for 2 years in SA. I guess it costs just $18 in Victoria, although not sure how long that would be valid for. anyone else with some info ? ps : - you dont need to surrender UK license. - Those in Visitor visa/ Temp work visa ( 457 etc ) need not apply for Oz license. - Those in PR visa should apply within 3 months ( SA)
  10. Hi, I have PR in Australia & have never had a driving license, either in Australia or the UK. I am hoping to start lessons soon and have an idea to speed up the process of getting a full license. If/when i pass and get my Green P's (25 yrs old), can i head for a holiday to the UK and convert it to a full UK license, then come back and convert it to a full license in Australia? I have read a couple of posts where people mention 50 pounds to swap it over, but just wondering whether anyone's attempted this before. It'd be great to come back from a holiday and get a full license. The holiday is not purely for this reason, but thought while I'm there, it might be worth it if possible. Cheers,
  11. charliebhoy

    Driving in australia !

    i live in melbourne and have to say isnt the driving on the roads here just ridiculous? i find australian people very friendly and polite to your face but its like once behind the wheel its a bit more like F***k YOU ! i had some bloke in a ute shouting balling at me whilst swinging his clenched fist out the window and i still have no idea what i done wrong and that was 2 weeks ago ! also what about the monster trucks that drive up your A***e at 100 kph and they dont seem to get anywhere any faster ! i mean do these truck drivers actually get trained or do they pick them up from some sort of mental institution ? :arghh: and what about courtesy? lane changing can become seriously difficult when the asshole in the lane beside you's way of thinking is "thou shall not speed up or slow down for anyone who doesnt know where they are going" or maybe they came from the mental institution also !:wacko: ok now for my favourite part ! what about when at the lights theres a car turning right and a car waiting for a fortnight to turn left but cant because theres la de dah pedestrians walking in slow motion accross the road and the green man isnt even on ! aaaaghhh ! and i was going straight by the way but never made it ! i bet everyone on here has had the thought of homicide whilst in a rush and being stuck behind a slow moving tram ! can anyone add to this ? im sure there must be more annoying driving stuff:biggrin:
  12. Hi Guys, Loving the forum. My beautiful wife has just gained her 489 Visa thanks to the NT Government. I am lucky enough to be married to her. She is a restaurant manager in the UK and is planning to do the same in Darwin when we land. I am a Construction / Project Manager and will be looking for employment when we land. Quick question: Is it possible to secure accommodation prior to arriving in Darwin? It would be easier for us to rent an apartment via the internet for the first six months in the CBD, is this acceptable to letting agents in Darwin? Second quick question: We will be flying into Perth to collect our car after a friend sorts out the Rego and collection etc. It is a 2005 BMW 650i with 250K Kms on it and a decent history. Does it have a resale value in Darwin or is it better to change it for a 4X4 in Perth? Third quick question: Is it really as easy as people say to secure employment in Darwin for hard-working people? We are both really work-orientated and throw ourselves into it. Any assistance you guys could provide would be happy received. Rob & Evvy. (Soon to be living the dream in Oz)
  13. Hi ! Ive been in Australia on a working holiday visa for a few months. I hold a full Uk license that I got in August last year. Ive read a lot of information online about driving on my uk license and figured that I can as long as my visa is temporary (so happy days on a whv) my question is, as I'm only 18 and have only had my license less than a year, do I need P plates? I've kindly been offered the use of a car I just want to be doing things by the book. Thanks in advance for any help - it would be appreciated. Confused!
  14. DapperDirewolf

    Working Holiday Car Insurance

    Hi everyone! I have a simple enough question (I hope!) about car insurance for those of us on a Working Holiday Visa who have gone and purchased a vehicle for the purposes of travelling the country ... In all my research so far I've found it very difficult to come across any concise information about car insurance options for backpackers. I'm a 27 year old male from the UK and have just bought myself a van to drive around the country with, and have even found some rather appealing car insurance quotes from companies such as Woolworths. The only problem is, having looked at the terms and conditions and policies etc., that there doesn't appear to be anything specific about the validity of people like myself on temporary visas purchasing or claiming on insurance. What I'm concerned with here, of course, is that I end up in some kind of accident (touch wood!), call to make a claim, and have someone say "Hang on, you're on a working holiday visa and only have a UK driver's licence? Sorry, but that is not at all valid. No claim for you!" I fully intend to call up some of these providers on Monday morning and ask them directly if they offer insurance to WHV drivers, but I just hoped that in asking about this here I might: a) Get some answers or ideas a little quicker b) Help out anybody else in my position who only wants to do things the right way As a final note, the only company I've found so far who offers insurance specifically to backpackers and unfortunately - unless I'm mistaken - they only offer third party insurance which, whilst it is something, still doesn't suit me. I want my own property protected, too, if possible! (Oh, and Travellers Car Insurance appears to be shutting down on March 1st, too!) I appreciate any advice given and I apologise if this topic has been covered already - I wasn't able to find anything regarding my specific issue. Thanks!
  15. christopher

    Driving in the UK

    Hi Does anyone know if you can drive in England on a red P license from Sydney? I cant seem to see any mention of it on the DVLA site and a search on the net brings up mixed answers!
  16. Does anybody know who would be the skills assessment body for a Driving Instructor?. I have trawled through so many pages but I am not sure if it will come under transport or teaching. It looks like Driving instructors are classed as Priority in WA.
  17. does anyone know of any reputable driving schools in sydney? What might the going rate be? is the test tough? took my test only once here in 94 but never since as hated it but lived in the city here so didn't need to so I'm now a full-time cyclist. Is cycling to get around very popular over there? I get the impression it's not, a bit more dangerous i think...
  18. Hi, I need to swap my uk license to haev an australian one. Any ideas what documents I require to take with me? I am in gold coast. thanks
  19. Quick question. If you hold a P1 Australian Drivers license and then move back to the UK can you swap that for a full UK driving license?
  20. wanda&wayne

    Driving licence

    Hi, my son recently got a speeding ticket and can either pay the £60 fine and get 3 points or pay £70 and do a course and get no points however there may not be time to do the course as we leave in a little over a week. Does having the 3 points effect his licence over in Australia or not? If not he'll just pay the £60 fine and get the points. Can you help? Thanks!
  21. Let's hear it from the denizens of NSW... especially sydneysiders.
  22. Guest

    4WD Driving Trips

    Hi, Moved to Canberra just over a year ago. We invested in a semi-capable 4X4 vehicle and have since met like minded locals who have taken us on excellent adventures around the local bush land, including the top of Mnt Coree. We've since spent a bit of money on getting the car a bit more capable and we plan to do more of the same. We tend to do this in small convoys, and enjoy a relaxing day out... the family really enjoy it, we get to see remote bushland, rivers and creeks all worth a visit. So if anyone else is interested or enjoys something similar and want to tag along or are already doing this and want to share experiences, let's chat.
  23. I never bothered to pass my test in the UK as I've always lived somewhere where a car just isn't needed (or practical) but now I'm moving out to Oz I want to be a little more mobile. Is there an Ozzie equivelent to the UK intensive driving courses which you can bash through in a couple of weeks. I'll be based in Sydney and I know that a P license requires you to have so many hours supervised driving logged which makes the intensive course option quite unlikely...but thought i'd ask anyway. Opinions?
  24. Guest

    UK Driving licence in NSW?

    Hey everyone, I'm moving to Sydney in August (exciting!), and am trying to get as much stuff sorted as possible before I get there... I've been looking at getting an Aussie driving licence, but couldn't work out whether I have to re-take my test again, or if (being a UK driver) I could simply get an additional licence? I apologise if this question has been asked before (I did have a hunt through the forums, but couldn't see anything) - but any help or advice you can offer would be wonderful! Thanks very much, Nina
  25. Yep I know - Be prepared and all of that - what am I thinking as I am so not!!! But to be honest everywhere and everything I want to do is going to be so difficult - I wanna see the fireworks but I can't stand the thought of the humongous crowds, let alone getting back home. So I thought, we'd (partner and I) would go for a drive in NSW head towards Dubbo or some such place. However question is will motels be open and are they likely to be an extravagant price? I would love some ideas, as this is my FIRST NYE proper in Australia and obviously I would like something a little special to remember it by. p.s. - I spent Christmas morning at Dee Why beach and it was fabulous - where else could you be in a bikini drinking champagne!