Decided not to bring our cat

Phil & Vikki

It is with great regret that we have decided not to bring out our cat with us. After a long time thinking about it we think it would be too much for her to take and knowing our luck we would of spent all the money on her to get out here and she would then go and get herself eaten by something big and nasty lol.

She will be staying in the hose we currently have with family, so hopefully she will not have too much disruption. But wil knowing all the good points, it is still a hard decision to come to.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

It is such a difficult decision and one we might have to make with our cat smudge who we love more than anything, just what do you do?

Its not only the costs, but also the journey and as you say it could all end in tears, also not many places do rentals with pets which makes it doubly hard.

Don't beat yourself up over it, its the right decision, i don't think theres a wrong decision.

all the best.

In my opinion, the absolute right choice. Bear in mind what they would have to contend with. Cats will pounce on anything that moves. Spiders, snakes, all sorts. Also the other day a cat walked out in front of the car and then crouched down and went into the sewers eeerrrggghh. I dont know about you but I dont want my cat coming into my house after its spent the night in the sewers!!!

Please feel happy with you decision it is in my opinion the best thing for the cat :wubclub:

Cheers guys we totally agree and for us it is made even easy as we are leaving her with family and know that she will be looked after. We said the same as what you have all said and think it would be for the best. Such a shame though as they become part of the family, but you have to do what is best for them and we think this is the best.

At least we are not the only people who are going down this route.

I think it's a hard decision and you can only go with what feels right for you. Our cat was 15 when we brought her, we had lots of anxieties but in the end as my hubby said "we'd had her longer than the kids" and in our hearts we couldn't leave her behing. She's now 19, doesn't do much pouncing, but is still going strong. There isn't a right and wrong for bringing your pets ... we would have left her with family had the vet told us that it wasn't in her best interests to travel .. but he declared her fit and healthy so here she is.

Guest juliemtaylor

honestly it's a hard decision but we are very glad we took our two 13 year old cats, I had the same worries and they are absolutely fine, go out a little in the garden when we are here as there is a curfew (24hrs) here in Mornington, Vic. Having them around has made it feel more like home already and they really were fine coming over, we stressed more than they did.

Good Luck

Julie x

we bought our 2 cats with us, they were I think 13 and 14 at the time. One of them is a terrible traveller, and I was really concerned about him, but they both made it here well and happy and they are both loving their new life here and lazy days on the deck!!

honestly it's a hard decision but we are very glad we took our two 13 year old cats, I had the same worries and they are absolutely fine, go out a little in the garden when we are here as there is a curfew (24hrs) here in Mornington, Vic. Having them around has made it feel more like home already and they really were fine coming over, we stressed more than they did.

Good Luck

Julie x

Hi Julie,

What do you mean 24 hr curfew, does that mean the cats have to stay in the house all the time.?

We are coming over to Mornington next year and hopefully bringing 2 cats.

regards

Sandy:arghh:

Guest The Ridleys

Hi

Hopefully when we come over next year we intend to bring our 2 year old moggy. I was considering having her re-homed but I cant face it - we have only had her 6 months and was a rescue anyway, I couldnt do it to her again.

Looking back it was probably a big mistake getting her but we had just lost our 18 year old tabby and the house was too quiet.

I too hope Im making the right decision, shes mostly a house cat but does love being outdoors in the summer. I couldnt bear if she got bit by anything.

Lisa

It is with great regret that we have decided not to bring out our cat with us. After a long time thinking about it we think it would be too much for her to take and knowing our luck we would of spent all the money on her to get out here and she would then go and get herself eaten by something big and nasty lol.

She will be staying in the hose we currently have with family, so hopefully she will not have too much disruption. But wil knowing all the good points, it is still a hard decision to come to.

A tough decision indeed.

We have 2 cats, one 10yo and the other one is nearly 21yo. The old guy won't be coming with us, and we've no one here who could look after him. Given his age, we're hoping that matters will resolve themselves prior to us finally selling the house and being ready to come over.

J & M

We bought our cat Ollie here in Oz when we came over and he's an indoor cat, (apart from going out on the verandah), and is quite happy. He's a Turkish Van/Ragdoll cross so has a very gentle temperament and is ideal for indoors. A lot of people have indoor cats here, partly because they are a danger to local wildlife (all cats are meant to be indoors after dark), and partly because some wildlife is a danger to them. I feel for you having to make this decision, and we said we would do the same if we ever go back to the UK, wouldn't want to put him through it. Something to consider anyway if you fancy getting another cat here. All the best with your move. Oh, also we are renting and have been lucky that the owner allows a cat which has made things easier!

Archived