First update.

Guest chris955

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I'm still having fun, haven't been knifed yet and the pubs are just wonderful. It's supposed to rain today so maybe something inside for me. Yesterday was 25C so I went out and took loads of photo's.

Thought I might go up to Gloucester today and have a look around.

Hi Chris

Nice to hear you are enjoying your trip to the uk, and I was very pleased to find you have no knifes stuck in you, always helps to enjoy your holiday more, when you are knife free, very envious to read your posts and would love if you could post some pics of your trip.

Guest chris955

OK, some of my findings since being here, I can't speak for others in different areas.

Down here in the South West things seem to be ticking along quite well, everyone we know is working, there are no boarded up shops and in fact where I am staying there are no vacant shops that I have seen. I got a VERY different view of life up in Yorkshire, at least in Doncaster where I stayed. The streets were quite dirty and I did see closed shops.

The contrast between the North and South is startling and I can understand why those up North think the whole country is suffering.

Anyway, first thing I noticed was the standard of driving, it is FAR higher here with a level of courtesy we could only dream of in Australia. Other drivers flash to let you out, give you room to change lanes and will acknowledge if you let them out. It's quite an eye opener.

I am still amazed at how cheap so many things are, whether it be in the supermarkets or the fruit and veg stalls in the streets. One of those in Bath is remarkably cheap and the food looks very fresh.

Bath is a nightmare to get into by car but once in to the city it is beautiful.

I spent a day in the heart of the Cotswolds and I was gobsmacked, it is just such a beautiful place. Even the pub I went to was advertising for staff.

All in all as the IMF's latest figures show the UK is most definitely on the up and things generally seem good.

Guest chris955

No, I have been there many times but when we were living here you just sort of take these things for granted. Also the small villages tucked away off the main roads are off the radar for most people.

OK, some of my findings since being here, I can't speak for others in different areas.

Down here in the South West things seem to be ticking along quite well, everyone we know is working, there are no boarded up shops and in fact where I am staying there are no vacant shops that I have seen. I got a VERY different view of life up in Yorkshire, at least in Doncaster where I stayed. The streets were quite dirty and I did see closed shops.

The contrast between the North and South is startling and I can understand why those up North think the whole country is suffering.

Anyway, first thing I noticed was the standard of driving, it is FAR higher here with a level of courtesy we could only dream of in Australia. Other drivers flash to let you out, give you room to change lanes and will acknowledge if you let them out. It's quite an eye opener.

I am still amazed at how cheap so many things are, whether it be in the supermarkets or the fruit and veg stalls in the streets. One of those in Bath is remarkably cheap and the food looks very fresh.

Bath is a nightmare to get into by car but once in to the city it is beautiful.

I spent a day in the heart of the Cotswolds and I was gobsmacked, it is just such a beautiful place. Even the pub I went to was advertising for staff.

All in all as the IMF's latest figures show the UK is most definitely on the up and things generally seem good.

Chris,

You sound like you are having a ball. They are going to have to drag, you kicking and screaming on the plane,,,,me thinks

Its great to hear how you are going and reading your posts, just makes me so sure, we are doing the right thing heading back to our beautiful country

Yeah, its got its problems, but OZ has no shortage of problems and I would rather be in the UK, with a problem, than trying to battle my way, through Red-tape ,than dealing with "If its not in my manual, I cant do it!!!" types here

Anyway Chris,,,,so looking forward to hearing all of your posts when you get back

Have a great stay, and enjoy every minute of it

:biggrin:

Guest chris955

Yes I think the walk onto the plane is going to be a tough one :biggrin:

I do agree though the UK has it's share of problems as does everywhere. I haven't said everything is great down here where I am but it seems to be doing pretty well.

Aussies do love their red tape for some reason, been there done that. :laugh:

Chris,

You sound like you are having a ball. They are going to have to drag, you kicking and screaming on the plane,,,,me thinks

Its great to hear how you are going and reading your posts, just makes me so sure, we are doing the right thing heading back to our beautiful country

Yeah, its got its problems, but OZ has no shortage of problems and I would rather be in the UK, with a problem, than trying to battle my way, through Red-tape ,than dealing with "If its not in my manual, I cant do it!!!" types here

Anyway Chris,,,,so looking forward to hearing all of your posts when you get back

Have a great stay, and enjoy every minute of it

:biggrin:

Guest guest36762
I don't think you've found a single thing that was a negative - in the area of the the south west that you're currently in? (Care to share where that is?)

What is your problem?

He's enjoying himself so why should he be hunting for negatives?

Guest guest30038
Im guessing some people think you look for negatives in oz chris so they assume your the same with the uk?

They shouldn't though, should they Pabs. If you're looking for negatives in Oz, then you have to bull up the UK to justify that..........rose tinted specs 'n all that :rolleyes: :biglaugh:

kev

Guest chris955
Its a lovely part of the uk chris,ive worked in bath and bristol and visited the surrounds,i couldnt afford a property like those tho sadly,great if you can tho.

No we couldn't afford most of the places I have looked at but many we can. Some of the little villages are just wonderful.

Bath.jpg

Exactly, why the hell would I be looking for negatives ? Peach, you and others more than make up with the negative comments :wink:

What a strange thing to say?????? I thought you wanted to come back to the UK to live?

Well I guess your rose tinted glasses are on and they aint coming off :wacko:

Lovely pictures, I am from the north of England, and I know we hear a lot of negatives about the North when you live there, you forget what a beautiful place the North can be as well, I used to go to Grassington up in the Dales on a Sunday morning for the farmers markets, and have breakfast there, Yes you can not beat English countrysides, in my opinion.

Guest guest30038
What a strange thing to say?????? I thought you wanted to come back to the UK to live?

Well I guess your rose tinted glasses are on and they aint coming off :wacko:

Exactly! pretty little cottages and wonderful scenery do not a lifestyle make.........unless you're totally devoid of all the problems that the country (south west) that projects those images, are not indicative of the country (economy) as a whole.

kev

Archived