First update.

Guest chris955

Guest chris955

Well I arrived in the UK on Sunday, beautiful sunny day and quite warm. First impressions, Heathrow is clean and very very big :laugh:

Picked up the car and there was an Aussie whinging about being given a Renault, he didn't like the idea of having the steering column controls were on the opposite sides to what he was used to. My car also had this 'problem', it took me all of 5 minutes to adapt.

Got onto the M4 and headed west, I was very concerned by some of the driving I witnessed, people driving in the left lane, overtaking on the right and moving back to the left. No trucks in the fast lane under the speed limit and everyone was very fast and safe. Quite an eye opener.

I have so far caught up with quite a few friends, none so far have questioned my sanity regarding our decision to move back to the UK and in fact all are positive and happy and all are working. This really isn't going to plan, I fully expected a country on the brink of bankruptcy, constant doom and gloom, rude miserable people and gangs wandering the streets. I'm just not seeing it and I feel as if I've been conned, could people be exaggerating ?

Something that has really amazed me is the cost of food and many other things, some things are on a par but the majority are cheaper and many are far cheaper. It doesn't matter if you use the 2:1 exhange rate, the difference is amazing.

I haven't had a chance to check out any houses yet, I'm too busy enjoying catching up with old friends but I'm going out at the weekend to see what's about.

Something else I was surprised about was the amount of rubbish, I was led to believe the roads were littered with rubbish :wink:

went to Bath today, I had forgotten just how beautiful it is and much better now they have pulled down the eyesore of a shopping mall and bus station there used to be, they have been replaced by a very attractive precinct in Bath stone and a very modern glass fronted bus station.

The traffic and small roads atke some getting used to but it's no big deal.

More later..........

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

I forgot to mention that I also investigated the odd belief that Australian fresh food was somehow fresher than British fresh food, I must say that the fresh fruit and vegetables did indeed look very fresh, I'm not entirely sure how you get fresher than fresh ? The fruit and veg was very cheap, how about bananas for 69p a kilo :elvis:

Good for you Chris. :wubclub:

As most know there are 2 sides to the UK, even you have said yourself there are areas of the UK you would never plan to visit........ I guess if you go to the nicer parts of England that's all you'll see.

Just a point it's against the law for a truck to use the far right lane on a motorway it is also governed to 56 mph unlike Australia where a truck can travel at the same speed limit as a car.

Glad you're enjoying being back in the UK, but remember, you're only on holiday...... Things change when you live here full time...... (sorry couldn't help myself with that one)

All the best for your time in the UK, I hope the sun stays out and you find a nice house you will be able to call home

Geoffrey

Guest chris955

Thanks for that. Yes there are most certainly places I wouldn't dream of living. I drove through a couple of beautiful villages yesterday that almost bought a tear to the eye but quite close were places I wouldn't live. Much like where we live in Oz and then areas like Kingston and Woodridge that are only minutes away but worlds apart.

It's about time trucks were banned from the right lane of multi lane roads in Australia, it's just commonsense.

Guest sh7t man no way
Well I arrived in the UK on Sunday, beautiful sunny day and quite warm. First impressions, Heathrow is clean and very very big :laugh:

Picked up the car and there was an Aussie whinging about being given a Renault, he didn't like the idea of having the steering column controls were on the opposite sides to what he was used to. My car also had this 'problem', it took me all of 5 minutes to adapt.

Got onto the M4 and headed west, I was very concerned by some of the driving I witnessed, people driving in the left lane, overtaking on the right and moving back to the left. No trucks in the fast lane under the speed limit and everyone was very fast and safe. Quite an eye opener.

I have so far caught up with quite a few friends, none so far have questioned my sanity regarding our decision to move back to the UK and in fact all are positive and happy and all are working. This really isn't going to plan, I fully expected a country on the brink of bankruptcy, constant doom and gloom, rude miserable people and gangs wandering the streets. I'm just not seeing it and I feel as if I've been conned, could people be exaggerating ?

Something that has really amazed me is the cost of food and many other things, some things are on a par but the majority are cheaper and many are far cheaper. It doesn't matter if you use the 2:1 exhange rate, the difference is amazing.

I haven't had a chance to check out any houses yet, I'm too busy enjoying catching up with old friends but I'm going out at the weekend to see what's about.

Something else I was surprised about was the amount of rubbish, I was led to believe the roads were littered with rubbish :wink:

went to Bath today, I had forgotten just how beautiful it is and much better now they have pulled down the eyesore of a shopping mall and bus station there used to be, they have been replaced by a very attractive precinct in Bath stone and a very modern glass fronted bus station.

More later..........

aye the old country still has a great deal to offer mate-i love bath its so historic--its one of the best times in the uk with autum in flow, the colours of the trees--glad your cathing up with your old mates,and things are good--enjoy:jiggy:

After having live in oz and the Uk I really struggle to understand how people can judge living in Australia after only having been on holiday there a few times. I have been to Spain loads of times on holiday but I'm definitely not qualified to describe how brilliant it would be to actually live there! I love Australia and also like living in the Uk and in my experience there are pros and cons to both but until you have lived, worked and experienced real life in Oz I can't take these posts seriously!

Guest chris955

Another positive I found was the number of jobs in shops in Bath, this area has low unemployment anyway but it seemed as though every 2nd shop had an advert in the window for staff.

Are you sure you are in UK Chris and not just some parallel universe?:biglaugh: Sounds like my experience when I go home as well! Just steer clear of Bradford and you should be just fine! Are you planning on settling in the Bristol/Bath area?

Hope it all continues to go well for you all!

Having just returned to the UK for good I completely agree with a lot of your observations of the UK, particularly the cost of everything compared to Oz. We couldn't believe the cost of a coffee and chocolate bar at Heathrow (which is renowned for being over-priced).

As I am relatively new to PIO I am interested to know how long this trip is for, as I gather you are only here on holiday and if you are definitely planning to return to the UK for good and when?

Just being nosey as I have read a great many of your replies, posts etc.:spinny:

Guest famousfive

Great to hear you are enjoying your trip home,the memories of this trip will keep you going until the big move so have a good squizz at the beautiful area you are returning to and don't waste a minute on the rough areas as you will not be going back to that anyway,so even if they are full of doom and gloom it will not effect your life there.Enjoy,enjoy,enjoy.

Guest chris955

I was amazed to be honest at the prices, I had to go to Tesco yesterday and some of the stuff was incredibly cheap and lots of 2 for 1 and 3 for 2 deals which make it even cheaper.

I am here for 3 weeks and it is partly business and partly pleasure so I am using the opportunity to check things out as a permanent move is on the cards for next year. To be quite honest I haven't seen too much to put me off up to now, there doesn't seem to be the fully expected doom and gloom atmosphere and I'm wondering if it could be a regional issue ? Unemployment is low down here and that is usually the thing that affects peoples mindset. Our friends appear happy and are enjoying life.

Having just returned to the UK for good I completely agree with a lot of your observations of the UK, particularly the cost of everything compared to Oz. We couldn't believe the cost of a coffee and chocolate bar at Heathrow (which is renowned for being over-priced).

As I am relatively new to PIO I am interested to know how long this trip is for, as I gather you are only here on holiday and if you are definitely planning to return to the UK for good and when?

Just being nosey as I have read a great many of your replies, posts etc.:spinny:

Guest chris955

It is a beautiful place and is looking even better with all the work they have been doing, the big new shopping precinct fits in wondefully with the lovely old architecture. It is expensive to live in Bath but the sorrounding areas are very affordable.

Bath is a lovely city. Both my Husband and Son were born there. All the Roman buildings are amazing. We couldnt afford to live there though as it was way out of our pockets. :wubclub:

Guest chris955

Thank you, I'm having a ball to be honest. As you say the rough areas aren't going to influence me anymore than they would back in Brisbane, we have some awful areas not that far from us but they don't affect our life or any decisions we make, we just avoid them unless absolutely necessary.

Great to hear you are enjoying your trip home,the memories of this trip will keep you going until the big move so have a good squizz at the beautiful area you are returning to and don't waste a minute on the rough areas as you will not be going back to that anyway,so even if they are full of doom and gloom it will not effect your life there.Enjoy,enjoy,enjoy.

Guest guest32776
I was amazed to be honest at the prices, I had to go to Tesco yesterday and some of the stuff was incredibly cheap and lots of 2 for 1 and 3 for 2 deals which make it even cheaper.

I am here for 3 weeks and it is partly business and partly pleasure so I am using the opportunity to check things out as a permanent move is on the cards for next year. To be quite honest I haven't seen too much to put me off up to now, there doesn't seem to be the fully expected doom and gloom atmosphere and I'm wondering if it could be a regional issue ? Unemployment is low down here and that is usually the thing that affects peoples mindset. Our friends appear happy and are enjoying life.

When we go home to London to visit we lose a stone before hand so we can eat all the delicious cheap food in Sainsburys. It is incredibly cheap in comparison and makes shopping for groceries a fun experience rather than adding up the ridiculous prices in Coles and Woolworths to try and stay in budget...

I reckon you could bang 100 quid for a week's shopping for 2 on Tesco finest stuff, every type of vegetable, herbs, about 4 bottles of decent wine - a sancerre or a chablis. Here you need 100 quid just to get the absolute basics, no luxuries and no booze...

When we go home to London to visit we lose a stone before hand so we can eat all the delicious cheap food in Sainsburys. It is incredibly cheap in comparison and makes shopping for groceries a fun experience rather than adding up the ridiculous prices in Coles and Woolworths to try and stay in budget...

I reckon you could bang 100 quid for a week's shopping for 2 on Tesco finest stuff, every type of vegetable, herbs, about 4 bottles of decent wine - a sancerre or a chablis. Here you need 100 quid just to get the absolute basics, no luxuries and no booze...

I couldn't agree more! I went to Tesco a couple of days ago and I was like a child in a sweet shop rather than walking tentatively around the aisles and having to sacrifice things from week to week in Coles or Woolies!

That's not to mention Waitrose and M&S what a treat. I haven't yet done Sainsbury's but all in good time...

Really glad to hear you are enjoying your time here. We have been back just over a week and I am loving every minute. Like you say there are rough areas wherever you live in the world, which fortunately can be avoided. Where we live is as wonderful as ever and it's so good to see all those friendly faces. We really feel like we're living again - it's fabulous.

Of course, Oz is always there for wonderful holidays...

Enjoy the rest of your time, just lap it up!

Guest guest36187

Good on ya Chris. Hope this holiday is great for you and helps you with any moving back plans you have .

Have a great time.

(The Lakes is my fav UK place!)

You're right.....the pound buys a lot less overseas these days.

More later..........

Glad to hear you are enjoying it Chris.We cant wait, and we have pulled our move forward, so we will be off home, sooner than expected.Reading your posts, just confirms how right we are to be heading back.Have a great stay:biggrin:

Guest guest36762
I forgot to mention that I also investigated the odd belief that Australian fresh food was somehow fresher than British fresh food, I must say that the fresh fruit and vegetables did indeed look very fresh, I'm not entirely sure how you get fresher than fresh ? The fruit and veg was very cheap, how about bananas for 69p a kilo :elvis:

now, come on Chris!

I think you're being unfair. Here in Geelong you can sometimes get bananas for as little as 99c a kilo, for about 1 day a year, so long as you go to one of the nuclear bunker fruit and veg shops. Sure, the rest of the year they vary from 1.59 to 5 or even 10 dollars a kilo (if you're foolish enough to buy them in a SUPERMARKET:shocked:), but that's just nit picking.

Hi Been reading post for a few weeks now and then decided a while back to join up.

I was born in Sydney to Aussie parents and apart from a few years - we use to live up the coast - we hated it - I have lived in Sydney all my life. My husband and myself have been over to UK a fair bit over the years and I have gone there on my own as well. From the first moment I went there I loved it - we stayed in London for a bit then rented a place in a village and then up to Edinburgh for a while. My husband wasn't so keen and has always glad been to get home however he did return a number of times with me and I think he liked it more and more. We have returned from UK 5 weeks ago and we are both gutted - we would love to go back and live there - money is a problem though. There was so many reasons we love UK that I personally could write a book or at least a huge essay. At the moment I am in quite a lot of tumoil over it all I can't adjust to being back. Good luck to all of those people returning to the UK - have a pint for me - I have considered that place my real home for a very long time

Any comments about how barking I am is fine with me - someone tell me that it is really dreadful over there or something - I feel so dreadufl right now - couldn't sleep again last night!

cheers

Helena

Archived