First update.

Guest chris955

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Been reading post for a few weeks now and then decided a while back to join up.

I was born in Sydney to Aussie parents and apart from a few years - we use to live up the coast - we hated it - I have lived in Sydney all my life. My husband and myself have been over to UK a fair bit over the years and I have gone there on my own as well. From the first moment I went there I loved it - we stayed in London for a bit then rented a place in a village and then up to Edinburgh for a while. My husband wasn't so keen and has always glad been to get home however he did return a number of times with me and I think he liked it more and more. We have returned from UK 5 weeks ago and we are both gutted - we would love to go back and live there - money is a problem though. There was so many reasons we love UK that I personally could write a book or at least a huge essay. At the moment I am in quite a lot of tumoil over it all I can't adjust to being back. Good luck to all of those people returning to the UK - have a pint for me - I have considered that place my real home for a very long time

Any comments about how barking I am is fine with me - someone tell me that it is really dreadful over there or something - I feel so dreadufl right now - couldn't sleep again last night!

cheers

Helena

Welcome to the group, glad you deceided to join

So many of us feel as you do, and I for one dont think you are "Barking".Its an awful feeling when you just want to be somewhere else

We cant wait to go home ,I dident think I could ever miss a place so much

went to Bath today, I had forgotten just how beautiful it is and much better now they have pulled down the eyesore of a shopping mall and bus station there used to be, they have been replaced by a very attractive precinct in Bath stone and a very modern glass fronted bus station.

The traffic and small roads atke some getting used to but it's no big deal.

More later..........

I'm glad to hear that they've pulled down that old eyesore! It was such a sorry sight. Bath is a beautiful city; are you hoping to settle there or elsewhere in the West Country? I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday and that the weather is good to you for the duration of your trip.

Guest guest36762
Chris, you sure you didn't prepare that post before you left? :wink:

hey fishy and tracy!

this is MBTTUK, not 'Defend Poor Vulnerable Australia From Those Nasty Whingeing Pommy Bastards' (DPVAFTNWPB aka PIO). Let Chris enjoy his holiday. Mind you, knowing him he wouldn't give a XXXX anyway, but still...

As someone who went back recently, I too was quite shocked at how cheap everything was

I asked my Aussie wife yesterday whether she agreed with this and she said 'not really', meaning a little bit of denial I think.

Guest guest32776
Hi Been reading post for a few weeks now and then decided a while back to join up.

I was born in Sydney to Aussie parents and apart from a few years - we use to live up the coast - we hated it - I have lived in Sydney all my life. My husband and myself have been over to UK a fair bit over the years and I have gone there on my own as well. From the first moment I went there I loved it - we stayed in London for a bit then rented a place in a village and then up to Edinburgh for a while. My husband wasn't so keen and has always glad been to get home however he did return a number of times with me and I think he liked it more and more. We have returned from UK 5 weeks ago and we are both gutted - we would love to go back and live there - money is a problem though. There was so many reasons we love UK that I personally could write a book or at least a huge essay. At the moment I am in quite a lot of tumoil over it all I can't adjust to being back. Good luck to all of those people returning to the UK - have a pint for me - I have considered that place my real home for a very long time

Any comments about how barking I am is fine with me - someone tell me that it is really dreadful over there or something - I feel so dreadufl right now - couldn't sleep again last night!

cheers

Helena

I don't think you are 'barking at all'. I am from London and have met loads of Aussies there desperate to get hitched to a Brit to stay! I have been over in Australia for about 7 years and still don't really feel convinced it is the place for me. I miss the wit, sarcasm and general interaction of the British, the proximity to Europe and its cultural influences, decent TV and so many other things. I don't know why exactly there is a sort of sense of 'loss' of all these things being over here - I suspect as the country is so remote it is just very insular and also as it values tradies over the intelligentsia you don't get the sophistication. I know I will be shot for that last bit but after a lot of consideration it really is all I can put my finger on as to the reason for my yearning for London...

Thanks folks for not thinking I am barking lol

In the gene pool not so far back that is where I am from so that is probably why I feel such a feeling of coming home when I go over to UK

The other thing is that I am an artist and very attrached to the landscape over there - not into it here - and have done some paintings with that influence. It is wonderful that art is just all around you over there - it is something that is so valued. But here I go again .......... a million reasons for wanting to be there..... I really could just cry today.

And yes it is the worst feeling to want to be somewhere else - I just feel if I walk somewhere I could just bust through and reach it again - it sounds strange but I just can't explain.

Guest guest36762
I don't know why exactly there is a sort of sense of 'loss' of all these things being over here - I suspect as the country is so remote it is just very insular and also as it values tradies over the intelligentsia you don't get the sophistication. I know I will be shot for that last bit but after a lot of consideration it really is all I can put my finger on as to the reason for my yearning for London...

Hi

what you've said may come across to those who've not lived here as snobbery. Maybe it is, but i completely agree. This is a country built on working class values, where the working man is king. That has good and bad elements: pretentiousness tends to be cut down very quickly, unless you're in Tourak; the flip side however is a crassness to the culture which is celebrated and encouraged. Even men with so called 'white collar' jobs try to get in on the macho act, with their utes and their chainsaws....it's all a bit pathetic really.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with your post, you snob!

Dom

Guest guest32776
Hi

what you've said may come across to those who've not lived here as snobbery. Maybe it is, but i completely agree. This is a country built on working class values, where the working man is king. That has good and bad elements: pretentiousness tends to be cut down very quickly, unless you're in Tourak; the flip side however is a crassness to the culture which is celebrated and encouraged. Even men with so called 'white collar' jobs try to get in on the macho act, with their utes and their chainsaws....it's all a bit pathetic really.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with your post, you snob!

Dom

I really tried to not sound snooty but it was difficult to flower it over any more than I did!! Where is Tourak? It sounds great! I think those who emigrate here who emanate from more blue collar roles, families etc may adapt to life here better than others of us.

hey fishy and tracy!

this is MBTTUK, not 'Defend Poor Vulnerable Australia From Those Nasty Whingeing Pommy Bastards' (DPVAFTNWPB aka PIO). Let Chris enjoy his holiday. Mind you, knowing him he wouldn't give a XXXX anyway, but still...

As someone who went back recently, I too was quite shocked at how cheap everything was

I asked my Aussie wife yesterday whether she agreed with this and she said 'not really', meaning a little bit of denial I think.

Calm down, he can take a joke, you can be so unsophisticated sometimes..... :wink:

Guest guest36762
I really tried to not sound snooty but it was difficult to flower it over any more than I did!! Where is Tourak? It sounds great! I think those who emigrate here who emanate from more blue collar roles, families etc may adapt to life here better than others of us.

Tourak one of the posher suburbs in Melbourne

4wd's are often called tourak tractors if driven by those who've never seen a dirt road.

where are you?

I'm in the blue collar heaven that is Chernobyl, sorry Geelong

I aint got a ute, I'm useless with my hands, I don't fish, I wouldn't know how to fix me car

But I can chat like a sheila

Guest guest32776
Tourak one of the posher suburbs in Melbourne

4wd's are often called tourak tractors if driven by those who've never seen a dirt road.

where are you?

I'm in the blue collar heaven that is Chernobyl, sorry Geelong

I aint got a ute, I'm useless with my hands, I don't fish, I wouldn't know how to fix me car

But I can chat like a sheila

I am in Woolloomooloo in Sydney paying a massive amount of rent in order to live in a touristy and snooty, non blue collar area as I am seriously allergic to mullet hair do's, two or more tattoos, people walking into shops barefoot and sausage sizzles.

Guest guest30038
I am in Woolloomooloo in Sydney paying a massive amount of rent in order to live in a touristy and snooty, non blue collar area as I am seriously allergic to mullet hair do's, two or more tattoos, people walking into shops barefoot and sausage sizzles.

Bugger! I was gonna invite you round to my place! :tongue: :biglaugh:

kev

Guest guest36762

are you sure there's enough o's in that?:biglaugh:

you mean you're allergic to common people?

Guest chris955

Thanks for your comments everyone, it is quite amazing just how many people are in the same situation really. There are those who just don't like Australia and can't settle there and are stuck which must be unbearable. I like Australia, it doesn't give us what we want but there are many good aspects to life there if you can cut through the bull**** and can adapt to just how different and insular it can be.

Something that has interested me since being here is just how distorted some comments on the this forum have been. I read recently someone had come back to the UK for a holiday and remarked on how rude everyone was and how miserable they were. I know I have only been here for 5 days now but you walk into a shop and the people are cheerful and helpful. When I picked the rental car up the manager came over, introduced himself, shook my hand and apologised for the delay. I had been waiting for about 3 minutes at that stage. The first morning when I came out of the hotel I asked the receptionist how to get to a certain place and she said don't worry I'm leaving now just follow me and I'll signal you when to turn.

I realise this is no big deal but no-one has been rude or ignorant or miserable, quite the opposite.

Is it as someone said denial by some to make themselves feel better ?

I had a lovely 'curry and a pint' in a pub yesterday for 4.99 :biggrin:

Christ Charlie, you really are a snob. Don't know what you are doing here, you will never fit in.

I realise this is no big deal but no-one has been rude or ignorant or miserable, quite the opposite.

Thing is you read just as many comments of that type about Australia - by people hoping to return - as about the UK by people hoping to leave.

Nothing like an industrially produced and microwared/boil in the bag curry to lift the spirits, especially when chosen from a photograph on the menu of a chain/identikit pub (Wetherspoons typically) and identical all over the country. Yum :biggrin:

I think the miserable people thing mostly relates to Londoners. It's not that Australians are any friendlier than Brits - but I definitley think there's a city vs country divide when it comes to friendliness, and you find it in every country around the world.

God, the day I landed in London, years ago, I was screamed at by a train station manager who accused me of being a terrorist, insulted by a barman (not an Aussie either!) for saying 'can you order food here?' instead of 'Can I order food here?' and scowled at by a cab driver for taking too long to pay with my strange money. I was so upset at the time - now I'm used to it and just smile and give it back.

Oh, and it's TOORAK!!:biggrin:

Hi Chris Funny you mentioned denial I have been thinking about that a lot in the last week. A friend of mine - who by the way had to block a friends Facebook page because she was posting up photos of her UK trip - told me that I was an addict - and my addiction was UK and I should not think about it or watch any UK TV or read anything about the place for at least 3 months. I thought a lot of what she had to say and considered it seriously - I have studied psychology - and I couldn't see it - I know one can become addicted to a person etc but a place ?I even google it and no luck. But then I went over what had happened to me while there and also other times in the past and it is like the lights go on and I can see a much better way of life - I have always felt very inspired over there - and that is just part of it. What I have come to is that I came out of denial - again - I wrote a note on the plane back that I must not forget my feelings this time. And for me to go on here I have to do what I have always done in order to stay here and that is to go back into denial !

And yes Chris people are very kind in UK - and they are very polite on the road too. All up we were in UK for almost 4 weeks - 2 weeks we spent in Europe. We were delayed by over 2 weeks as my husband develeoped kidney stones and was in hospital up in Slough for over a week - each day an act of kindness got me through the day - from strangers in a shop on the street or a cab driver etc.

And it is true that there are things in Oz that are good - good stuff everywhere - but if you don't fit into to the footy ocker culture what do you do -go back into denial ?

cheers

Guest guest36762
Thing is you read just as many comments of that type about Australia - by people hoping to return - as about the UK by people hoping to leave.

Nothing like an industrially produced and microwared/boil in the bag curry to lift the spirits, especially when chosen from a photograph on the menu of a chain/identikit pub (Wetherspoons typically) and identical all over the country. Yum :biggrin:

better than a parmy and chips washed down with a thimble of piss, surrounded by boguns:biggrin:

Guest guest32776
Christ Charlie, you really are a snob. Don't know what you are doing here, you will never fit in.

That comment is just plain rude. I am not a snob - I don't have an issue on people's wealth or class - just their behaviour. You can find low paid 'scruffs' have great brains and can hold an inciteful conversation...

I suspect quite a few Brits live here in the Louis Theroux style, hidden camera and rye smile..........

And why does every discussion have to evolve into a blatant 'Oz is better' or "Britain is better' ?- you are entitled to have opinions and thoughts about a place without it disintegrating into this bipartisanship.

That comment is just plain rude. I am not a snob - I don't have an issue on people's wealth or class - just their behaviour. You can find low paid 'scruffs' have great brains and can hold an inciteful conversation...

I suspect quite a few Brits live here in the Louis Theroux style, hidden camera and rye smile..........

And why does every discussion have to evolve into a blatant 'Oz is better' or "Britain is better' ?- you are entitled to have opinions and thoughts about a place without it disintegrating into this bipartisanship.

It's hard to put it into words without sounding offensive or rude - but I understand where you are coming from. Where we were living and among our peer group in Oz we were considered the brainiest family they had met - our approach to work and education was seen as weird (focussed aiming for more -studying ourselves) - yet among our peers in UK this is normal - we are working class and have achieved more than our parents and want our kids to achieve more for themselves. All the kids we know here in UK are focussed on their future - one of our working class tradie friends have a son who has just graduated Oxford - this would be like flying to the moon for our ozzie friends who just want to get in get the job done and crack a cold one by 3.30!! That's why we're back and are happy for our kids that we have made the choice.

Archived