Can someone explain to me about rego please!

mr luvpants

Guest guest33730
Hi

Can someone please explain to me in simpleton language about rego and insurance for cars?:swoon: We are buying a new car as soon as we get there so what do we need to get it legal?

JOHN

Hey John,

When you buy a new car it should come with everything paid i.e. rego, stamp duty (i'll come to that) etc

If it's a second hand car it will likely have some rego still left on it and the rego covers your 'public liability' insurance but not the cost of repairing your car or someone elses if you have an accident (at least that's what I was told), so you can legally drive it but make sure you don't have an accident. BUT most people then go online and get top up insurance (which I found to be much much cheaper especially for young drivers.(Try Virgin and make sure you have a copy of your UK no claims records which they accept)

Also when you buy a second hand car you need to pay stamp duty which can run into hundreds or sometimes thousands of dollars depending on the price you end up paying.

Finally there is the pink slip which is like the MOT in the UK however I don't know anything about that as they don't have them in SA.

Hope that helps

Daniel

Hi

We are buying a new car as soon as we get there so what do we need to get it legal?

JOHN

If it literally is a new car - ie. from the new car dealer - you can expect them to have it registered, stamp duty paid etc. before you pick it up. You then only have to decide which level of optional insurance to get - third party property, or full comprehensive. Many (most?) insurance companies will now give you a quote online, so it is very easy to compare.

Guest Guest31881
Hi

Can someone please explain to me in simpleton language about rego and insurance for cars?:swoon: We are buying a new car as soon as we get there so what do we need to get it legal?

JOHN

Rego = Car tax

if you buy "new" it should come with rego and all tax's paid.

If you buy "Used" It may or may not have some rego left on it. When you transfer it to your name you will have to pay "Stamp Duty" on the transfer. Stamp Duty is a % of the value of the car.

Used cars have to have a "road worthiness" certificate with them (in QLD) the seller has to obtain this before they sell it to you.

Insurance..... The Rego gives you basic 3rd party insurance, that covers personal injury only, you need to top this up to a suitable level of insurance (fully comp etc). The basic 3rd party insurance does not cover damage to property so if you have an accident you will be liable to pay out of your own pocket for property damage.

Insurance is easy - used a comparison site (can't remember which) and use AAMI on mine and NRMA for my wifes car and both companies accepted my UK no claims discount.

You will need evidence of address when buying/registering a car so depending on where your staying in your first week or so this may be an issue - get your Medicare sorted first (takes about half an hour) and the reciept they give you will do and will help with anything else you need ID for too.

Was a Firefighter for 15 years in South Wales myself, whats your plans for work? have ended up in a quarry myself - not bad work.

Cheers... Rob

Guest pablofet1

Hiya

Hubbie bought our car just before the girls and i arrived. It came with Rego which is due for renewal in December. We had 2 weeks to change the car into our name, to do this we had to go to the Qld government office (i think thats what its called) you take a ticket and wait for your number to be called. We handed over the necessary paperwork and HIT with a $700 stamp duty bill. (our car was $20,000 second hand) I was gob smacked to say the least. Oh you also have to pay the fee for transferring to your name which was 30 something bucks.

Once the car was in our name we sorted our fully comp insurance out. We told them how much NO Claims we had in the UK, they did not ask for proof. We went with NRMA.

You have 3mths to change your driving licence to an Oz one and that is just a form and another 30 something buks. I am doing mine this week, because i am diabetic i have had to see the dr and have bloods done before i could apply.

Its not cheap here:wacko:

Rego needs to be paid annually and different states have different rates and ways of charging for it so you need to look on State website It covers you road tax and in most if not all stated it includes Compulsory 3rd party insurance. If you want fully comprehensive insurance you then take out a policy for this.

Was a Firefighter for 15 years in South Wales myself, whats your plans for work? have ended up in a quarry myself - not bad work.

Cheers... Rob

Its a big step isn't it. I have also done 15 years. I have managed to get into the Queensland Police as I fancy doing something different! I am in the merit pool awaiting a space at the academy.

JOHN

Guest guest30038
Thanks guys

So is there any comparison sites like gocompare in oz?

JOHN

Hi John,

Rego in Qld varies little, price wise from company to company.............only a couple of bucks at the most. The thing to bear in mind is rego covers third party injury only and not injury to yourself. New cars are already rego'd by the dealer so the insurance company, at least for the first year, will be of the dealer's choice not yours.

When you get your rego, there may well be a form that gives you a chance to change to another company. Try and keep all your insurance with one company as they offer discounts up to 15% across the board if you have more than 3 policies with them.

We have been with NRMA and have found that they were the cheapest for us, and as a bonus, the easiest to deal with for all my boat, house and car claims. I've made 5 claims and not one of them required filling in a form. A telephone call was all that was needed and settlement was within 24 hrs. One claim for a broken glass patio door was replaced within the hour! :shocked:

Missed the fact that you'd been accepted into the academy. Congratulations.

kev

Many of my colleagues use NRMA and have good things to say. GIO and AAMI are other examples. iselect has a comparison site. I have been quoted $850 for fully-comp insurance on a new $20k vehicle in NSW (I have upteen years no claims) - if this seems way too much someone please shout out!

Cheers and good luck!

I have been quoted $850 for fully-comp insurance on a new $20k vehicle in NSW (I have upteen years no claims) - if this seems way too much someone please shout out!

My car was new and $22K 3 years ago - also umpteen years no claims. Since then I've paid between $320 and $354 pa for full comp. insurance with CGU. It was arranged through my Credit Union and I suspect it may have been a special rate for members. It would be worth checking if any of the financial organisations you bank with have special offers on car insurance.

Premiums can vary from state to state - I'm in Tasmania - but, even so, $850 for a comparable car seems a lot.

Guest guest33730
My car was new and $22K 3 years ago - also umpteen years no claims. Since then I've paid between $320 and $354 pa for full comp. insurance with CGU. It was arranged through my Credit Union and I suspect it may have been a special rate for members. It would be worth checking if any of the financial organisations you bank with have special offers on car insurance.

Premiums can vary from state to state - I'm in Tasmania - but, even so, $850 for a comparable car seems a lot.

Honestly guys - try virgin, I looked at the other big names mentioned and Virgin beat them hands down! It only cost me $1000 for my 18yr old who just past his test to be covered on the policy fully comp!

Daniel

Guest siamsusie

We have a Landcrusier & a Mitsubishi sudan here in Tasmania

The Sudan is $220 pa fully comp V6

The Landcruiser $ 500 pa fully comp V6

The insurance was more than double northern WA

It was iselect that I used & AAMI came out best for one car & NRMA for the other, both companies say they give discounts for second policies but in the end it worked out cheaper to cover them separately - one of the budget insurers were twice as much as AAMI.

Congrats on the job - I miss the adrenaline but not scraping people off the roads, life as a civvy will do me for now.

Guest GillianM

Hey there, we bought a second hand Honda Jazz 2006, it cost us $15,000 and very low mileage. It came with some Rego but they bought us another year so that was fine. When we phoned up for a few quotes over the phone like AMMI they were over $1,000 very expensive and that was for 10 years no claims discount. A neighbour mentioned to us about bingle.com.au that they were cheap but you can only do it online and claim online and it came up $488.84 very good compared to the other ones we were quoted, and thats for fully comprehensive. Were in Victoria.

Gillian

Neither of those 2 came close to Virgin for premium or what they offered for the money for me.

Thats the point I was trying to make - every quote is different which is why I have 2 cars insured by different companies, hopefully on renewal Virgin or Tom Cobleys Pony will be cheaper than AAMI/NRMA but according to iselect those companies were cheapest for my circumstances this year.

Neither of those 2 came close to Virgin for premium or what they offered for the money for me.

Have you ever claimed through Virgin Chris?

Not sure about here as touch wood i have never had to claim on car insurance but in the UK i found some of the cheapy companys a nightmare when it came to paying out.

Cal x

Guest chris955

I've never had to claim here at all, my last insurance claim (touch wood) was years ago. Google bad car insurance experiences and there will be many for all the companies. Everyone you speak to seems to have a different opinion of every company and lets fact it nowadays most want to spend as little as they can.

In NSW you need a pink slip (if the cars over 5 years old) once you get that, then you get a green slip which is compulsary insurance if your in an accident an hurt someone, once you've got both those, then you renee the rego (registration) it's about $500/700 per year depending on what type of car you have. That's NSW, not sure about the other states.

I have been quoted $850 for fully-comp insurance on a new $20k vehicle in NSW (I have upteen years no claims) - if this seems way too much someone please shout out!

Virgin and Budget have quoted ~$770. Sydney must be a high risk area or what if others can get insured for $300-400 in other states for similar cars. Mind you, having seen the standard of driving 'round here I'm not suprised!:wubclub:

Virgin and Budget have quoted ~$770. Sydney must be a high risk area or what if others can get insured for $300-400 in other states for similar cars. Mind you, having seen the standard of driving 'round here I'm not suprised!:wubclub:

As a postscript to my whinge...my OH phoned to organise collecting the new motor. The Toyota man asked whether we had organised insurance. We told him we were not taking his offer of Toyota insurance. He then told us that Toyota now had a 40% off deal for our type of car, so hey presto, insured for $495.

Archived