London Expo in Sept - any news???

Jobo

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi All

On previous showings, the chances of DIAC answering any questions about which exhibitors will be attending this thing are zero. The idea is that the applicants take pot luck about that.

Have they named the venue or haven't they booked the venue as yet?

Thanks

Gill

In 2008 a full list of exhibitors was published before the event, admittedly only a few days before.

The organisation I work for ICWA will be there again, I believe the opportunities available are in PI Claims, IT (Java/Tibco developers, Test Managers, Network Administrators (Novell/Linux)

It's slow and painful but they do offer a good sponsorship package. So slow that two people that attended last year have just had their visas granted and will be joining my team in October!

Jules

Guest christinenpete
Hi all I got my confirmation through yesterday (02/09/10) so I think they are slowly getting round to everyone.

I got my confirmation through on the 1/9/10 and the email asking for me to choose an entry time and date on the 2/9/10.

Guest Midlanders
Just got our email invite, we're lucky cos we're just a short train journey away so not got anything to lose.

Gemma

Hi Gemma

Can you let us know how you get on over the weekend as we have not been lucky enough to get even 1 ticket. Rather disapointed as OH also a chippy

Cheers

Judy & Darren

Guest GemandJay
Hi Gemma

Can you let us know how you get on over the weekend as we have not been lucky enough to get even 1 ticket. Rather disapointed as OH also a chippy

Cheers

Judy & Darren

OMG that's awful I can't understand it surely a carpenter is a carpenter. have you lodged yet and where are you heading...maybe got something to do with it?? I'm going to go up with my OH even thought I'm not allowed in, no idea what to take or how my OH will get on, but will let you know what happens.

Has anyone been before got any thoughts of what we need to do, say etc??

Speak soon

Gemma

Guest Midlanders

Hi Gemma

We lodged our visa in June 09 so rather disappointed... but if you can let us know how you get on that would be grate. I hope you both can get in.

Regards

Judy

I've had an intersting email, there are no IT recruiters there now - Looks like ICWA may not be there.

See below:

Thank you for your interest in attending the Skills Australia Needs expo.

We are sorry to advise that the employer due to exhibit at the event who was looking for skilled workers in your field has today advised that they are no longer able to attend. Unfortunately, there are no other exhibitors at the expo who are recruiting for information technology professionals, software engineers or personal injury claims officers jobs at the expo.

You are still welcome to attend the expo where you will be able to obtain information on immigration pathways and meet with state and territory governments. We wanted to advise you however, that the event may no longer meet your expectations as employers looking to recruit your skills are no longer attending.

If you have given us permission to do so in your registration form, we will be sharing your email contact details with the relevant employer so they may contact you directly regarding any opportunities.

If you decide not to attend the expo, we would be grateful if you could please advise by reply email.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

OMG that's awful I can't understand it surely a carpenter is a carpenter. have you lodged yet and where are you heading...maybe got something to do with it?? I'm going to go up with my OH even thought I'm not allowed in, no idea what to take or how my OH will get on, but will let you know what happens.

Has anyone been before got any thoughts of what we need to do, say etc??

Speak soon

Gemma

We are going too, and in a simular position to you, only i got an invite, so having to leave the wife and kids outside like beggers:cute: (we are going the the Help 4 Heroes concert at Twickernham on the Sunday night, so making a weekend of it)

I dont know if this is the right thing to do but i am attending with the attitude of simular to a job interview, i intend on taking several copies of my CV and copies of qualifications (but i am an engineer) i might look like an over dressed fool, but what else can we do without any more information other than a day and time, i would hate to turn up in jeans and tee shirt to see everyone in suits.:wacko:

Good luck to you and yours, fingers crossed some one gets some thing positive from it (i hope we can)

I absolutely treated it like an interview, wore a suit etc. and was not over dressed so don't worry about that. Definitely take cv's both hard copy and on memory sticks, if you have business cards take those too.

The format is like a trade show, lots of stalls with advertising & people keen to talk to you. Expect long queues at the popular stalls.

Do not expect the government officials to be able to answer all your questions or even give you accurate information, they are public servants not lawyers. They are there to persuade you to emigrate!

This is no golden ticket, for many (most?) people it will be a waste of time/money, DIAC themselves say it is only appropriate to people who live nearby. But for those few that it does result in a job offer it is obviously worth it. I so very nearly didn't go!

Thank You Jules, just gutted ICWA looks like they won't be there. Still maybe worth talking to people though and getting any useful info I can.

Am also going to the Manchester expo in October, not sure what that one is like but my Wife was upset she couldn't make this so I bought tickets for Manchester.

Hi there.

We got an invite today and applied 3 days ago. Its for my OH who works for BT in telecommuncations as an egineer. We were not sure if it is worth going but then thought yes might as well just in case as you never know. Shame I can't go as I have the questions! Nevermind.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Jo

x

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

I've had a PM from a lady whose OH is a welder. She rang Oz House today and explained that if her OH accepted the invitation it would be for the sole purpose of seeking an employer sponsor, since they have already applied for a State sponsored sc 176 visa. She explained to them that her OH is a Welder.

She discovered that the organisers have asked all the exhibitors to provide lists of the occupations they are looking to recruit people for.

She was told that only one of the exhibitors will be looking to recruit Welders.

In her PM to me, the lady said that it sounds to her as if quite a few of the exhibitors will be looking to recruit nurses and other members of the medical profession and that she also reckons that quite a few of the exhibitors will be looking for accountants.

Cheers

Gill

Hi All

I've had a PM from a lady whose OH is a welder. She rang Oz House today and explained that if her OH accepted the invitation it would be for the sole purpose of seeking an employer sponsor, since they have already applied for a State sponsored sc 176 visa. She explained to them that her OH is a Welder.

She discovered that the organisers have asked all the exhibitors to provide lists of the occupations they are looking to recruit people for.

She was told that only one of the exhibitors will be looking to recruit Welders.

In her PM to me, the lady said that it sounds to her as if quite a few of the exhibitors will be looking to recruit nurses and other members of the medical profession and that she also reckons that quite a few of the exhibitors will be looking for accountants.

Cheers

Gill

Gill

I am an accountant and applied for invitation but turned down with following message

"Thank you for registering to attend the forthcoming Skills Australia Needs expo. Based on the information you have provided in your registration, we have been unable to match your skills and experience to the specific needs of the participating exhibitors on this occasion. Due to strong interest in the event, it has also been necessary to restrict the number of people invited to attend, in accordance with the venue capacity. Preference has been given to registrants who have demonstrated the strongest match to exhibitor requirements"

I am qualified CPA - Australia and CIMA UK member and still turned down

It seem to me that maybe this expo is for trades people, medical professional and engineering

According to some on PIO who have attended these expos over the years I don't think they come as highly recommended! We have never attended one and probably never will. The amount of info we got on PIO when putting our application together was invaluble!

Thank You Jules, just gutted ICWA looks like they won't be there. Still maybe worth talking to people though and getting any useful info I can.

Am also going to the Manchester expo in October, not sure what that one is like but my Wife was upset she couldn't make this so I bought tickets for Manchester.

The fact ICWA are not going isn't anything to do with a reduced need for skilled employees, please look at the recruitment page link and submit an expression of interest that way. Look at it this way if they had attended they would have come back with 100s of CVs, this way you will have far fewer people to compete with.

Jules

Archived