Our Australian adventure Has begun

PontePom

Hey Howard

Great post....sounds like the MIL had the time of her life good on her. I am keeping my fingers crossed that my mother might visit at some point though she keeps saying no. She says the flight is too long she is only 61 years young!!!! Gonna tell her that if someone who is 80 can do it then so should she lol!!!

We we're amazed when she said she wanted to come because of the long flights etc

But she didn't mind em at all

It actually scares me now thinking of doing the flights again so we gonna stay put here for sure lol

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get sick of reading about some that desperately want to come to Australia or so they say on here but won't do so because they'll be financially worse off and probably lose money. Well you only get one life so do it or stop going on about it lol

Awesome posts! Seems like all is well. have got lot of inspiration from your updates also. We fly 10th August to Brisbane and like to feel that we are very organised. Hope it all falls into place as it has done for yourself

thanks

I get sick of reading about some that desperately want to come to Australia or so they say on here but won't do so because they'll be financially worse off and probably lose money. Well you only get one life so do it or stop going on about it lol

You know what that really annoys me also.

There are quite a few who say that Australia is so great and they want to live here but will lose so much money it's not viable.

Money isn't everything and I'm so much happier living here and our standard of living is so much better but we now live in a rental property rather than in the UK a house we owned outright.

Pam has a good pension in UK and what she pays into now that should be enough for when we retire

Awesome posts! Seems like all is well. have got lot of inspiration from your updates also. We fly 10th August to Brisbane and like to feel that we are very organised. Hope it all falls into place as it has done for yourself

thanks

I'm glad I've helped and will continue to update this thread as time goes by

Good luck with everything

Howard

Guest kay durkin

is it possible to get a visa for oz when u r 51 or is ir to late. any help please.:confused:

Right I've decided after a lot of deliberating that I'm not going to post on this forum again.

I might still drop in and have a read but not much point really.

I've enjoyed my time here I got some great info when I needed it and I feel I've helped so many others and I'm really pleased that I managed to do so.

Majority of it done via pm's because sometimes advice you offer is put down because some think they know better and I've made some friends behind the scenes on this forum. I'm here living the dream and I'm actually doing things every day in Australia which I always thought would be an help to others who have questions etc.

I even started to post more openly on the forum but I find that there is a select few that post on the forum that have been around for a while and I believe give out old out dated information or pass on information that they themselves have picked up on the forum rather than actually know it first hand. But I guess they're loved so much that no one actually cares about that lol

My wife joined the forum first and I joined a while after her. She asked for her account to be deleted after someone said she didn't know what she was talking about in a nursing thread where she offered some advice and as my wife has nearly 30 years of experience of working in Mental Health she decided why should she waste her time here cos again someone always knows better lol

Again the forums loss

This thread I started as we went on our reccie and I have updated it over the 10 months we've been here and I hope it's helped others and maybe a few in the future. But like I keep saying it's 10 months since it started so a lot will be old and out dated information but still a good read for some basic info.

So thanks again pomsinoz

I wasn't going to make a post about this but decided it would be best just to post it in here as this thread as been quite active and didn't want some not to know why and expect more updates.

All I will say now is that in the 10 months we've been here our lives have got better and better sold our house in UK have our money here in Aus and couldn't be happier.

I will have even more time to spend enjoying it so good luck to everyone trying to get to Australia...

All the best

Howard

Guest siamsusie

Good luck Howard, I am so pleased that you guys are enjoying your lives here.

Susie x

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Howard, sorry to see you go, you have been a great help to a lot of members, at least you will still be around and not leaving for good. Enjoy your new life down under.

Right I've decided after a lot of deliberating that I'm not going to post on this forum again.

I might still drop in and have a read but not much point really.

I've enjoyed my time here I got some great info when I needed it and I feel I've helped so many others and I'm really pleased that I managed to do so.

Majority of it done via pm's because sometimes advice you offer is put down because some think they know better and I've made some friends behind the scenes on this forum. I'm here living the dream and I'm actually doing things every day in Australia which I always thought would be an help to others who have questions etc.

I even started to post more openly on the forum but I find that there is a select few that post on the forum that have been around for a while and I believe give out old out dated information or pass on information that they themselves have picked up on the forum rather than actually know it first hand. But I guess they're loved so much that no one actually cares about that lol

My wife joined the forum first and I joined a while after her. She asked for her account to be deleted after someone said she didn't know what she was talking about in a nursing thread where she offered some advice and as my wife has nearly 30 years of experience of working in Mental Health she decided why should she waste her time here cos again someone always knows better lol

Again the forums loss

This thread I started as we went on our reccie and I have updated it over the 10 months we've been here and I hope it's helped others and maybe a few in the future. But like I keep saying it's 10 months since it started so a lot will be old and out dated information but still a good read for some basic info.

So thanks again pomsinoz

I wasn't going to make a post about this but decided it would be best just to post it in here as this thread as been quite active and didn't want some not to know why and expect more updates.

All I will say now is that in the 10 months we've been here our lives have got better and better sold our house in UK have our money here in Aus and couldn't be happier.

I will have even more time to spend enjoying it so good luck to everyone trying to get to Australia...

All the best

Howard

Admire the honesty and you have highlighted the flaws sometimes in any type of internet forum. Ijust disregard any info from someone who feels they know better. Shame your leaving as I have found your detailed posts both informative and very helpful. You are living the dream and appear to be settled and it gives us hope that the impending move will be exciting, stressful but wholly worthwhile.

Good luck and take care!

Thanks for the kind messages in here and for the many PM's I've received...

I will be leaving my account here open so any pm's sent I will receive an email so any questions you think I can help you with fire away.

I have never been on here to receive thanks or a pat on the back just to share my views and help where possible which I believe I did and will do so via pm's.

For some that seem to think I have it in for them well don't hide it in your profile tell me or don't you like the truth.

I have never stalked anyone and will never be forced away because of anyone.

Right so I'm off back to living the dream and will drop in every now and then to read pm's

Howard

• 9 months later...

I thought I'd drop in and give a little update of our lives here in Australia.

It's been 10 months since I stopped posting here and we're loving it still...

So we're still in the same rental that we found from when still in UK and now rent direct from the owners who we get on very well with and work more has a team now.

I help and do loads of work on the houses upkeep and the house is looking great.

We've installed an above ground pool which is fantastic and has been a godsend when it's got hot to go and cool off and chill in it.

Just had the cable internet upgraded to 100mbit which is fantastic.

Pam's loving her job and is really making her mark and helping schools with Mental health issues.

Both our children are very settled here.

Becki will be starting Uni next year and she can't wait.

Luke is happy and plans to be a lawyer.

I'm loving it keeping the house in order etc and my computer repair, building business will be up and running very soon.

I had the operation on my left elbow and the public system was great and I was very happy with the experience.

Overall life here is fantastic

Do we have any regrets?

None at all

We came when the £ was poor and sold our house for less than we wanted but if we'd have waited we would've got less for our money bringing it over and probably less for our house so for those of you waiting and hoping for things to pick up.

How long will it take to do so and how old will you be when it happens?

If you want this dream enough you'll make it happen.

We have a great house which we rent and have it long term which is nice to know and we feel so settled here.

We plan to stay here until the kids are both settled after Uni and in work and sorted for their futures.

Then our plan is to pack everything up buy a nice car and caravan and see as much of Australia as we can until we can't drive anymore and settle where ever we feel suits us best.

We still see the kangaroos regulary on our front lawn and it never gets old.

We have no problems with our car we brought over and are really glad we did bring it.

Time certainly goes by quickly and it won't be long until we've been here 2 years :)

So much has happened with disasters and all the rain we've had but this is Australia and these things do happen here like they do elsewhere.

The heat is getting better now but tbh it hasn't bothered me that much and only had the aircon on several times on the really humid days but then only for a fews hours.

So thanks for reading my update and I'm sure I'll be back again in several months to leave another

Hi and bye

From PontePom or now I should be known as HelensvaleHoward

Hi Howard,

Great to read your update. Glad u are all still very happy and settled. I know what u mean about time flying. Time flies when you're having fun............ We'll be here a year next week... Can't believe it. Just bought and moved into our new house in Helensvale. I'm now Lady Helen of Helensvale... lol Took a big drop in the sale of our house in Feb but like yourselves just wanted to move on and it has worked out really well. Give Pam my love and so pleased she loves her job.

Take care. Always great to read your updates. xx Helen

Just came back to read any reply's and I've just noticed on the post when I said I was leaving pomsinoz that it was liked by one member and guess what it's from the one I thought was giving all the useless out of date information which made me so mad lol

Kinda sums it up lol

You can see for yourself who it was but I'll post it anyways

The Ropey HOFF likes this.

Helen so your in Helensvale now small world eh

Thanks for the kind reply's

Best way to contact me is via pm as I don't visit here very often now as living my life to the full so much so I don't wanna waste it in front of a computer screen as I do enough of that with working on them lol

• 4 months later...

OMG we passed the 2 years since we arrived in this great country and it sure feels like home :)

Finally got my computer business up and running I've added the link to my signature

Everything is going great can't say much more because life is sweet

Yes it has it's ups and downs but you have those wherever you live

All I can say to everyone is once you have your visa don't waste it

So many great members using there knowledge of living here is what makes this forum what it is

On that note back to living the dream

I am so pleased to hear that you have your computer company is set up and everything is going well for you. It is 20 months since we returned to Oz and we are now living on the Mornington Peninsula at a beautiful place called Mornington. My husband who had a severe stroke in 2008 in the UK is receiving physiotherapy twice a week and speech therapy once a week which he could not access in the UK (paid for by the government). He has also been diagnosed with cancer since our return and I have to say the treatment he is receiving is excellent. Had a test at lunch time on the Wednesday, at 8.30am the following morning the consultant oncologist phoned me with the result!! I nearly fell out of bed. So we are very pleased with the medical side of things which a lot of people are worried about when they are considering coming to Oz. The weather is wonderful for my husband as well. We can go out even in the winter because there are always nice days. No ice and snow and winds that cut right through you My adult children and grandchildren are all here now and live close so that is great as well. I wish you all the very best with your new life down under.

So we've been in Australia for just over a week and so far so good...

The hotel we stopped at for one night was fantastic and not expensive.

It was Marina Quays International John Lund Drive, Hope Island, QLD, 4214, Australia for if anyone wants to know...

We've bought everything we needed for us to last until our container arrives and found that SuperAMart was great and decent quality.

We bought a few bits from Fantastic Furniture but we found the quality on some stuff not as good but cheap prices and the Office set we bought was excellent quality and good value.

Food so far I aint compared any prices tbh cos we are living here now so why think what it did cost when this is what it's going to cost from now on so just pay it lol

But the meat is so cheap and can't wait to have our first BBQ shortly...

We bought a great one from BBQ's Galore...

Bunnings is great it's a B&Q DIYS store and we bought our Petrol Lawn Mower and several large free standing fans from their.

The house we're renting is fantastic a lovely sized garden and massive outdoor living area.

The 2nd family living area has a table tennis table in it now and has loads of space around it :-)

Got Cable installed 2 days ago and it's nice to be online but only getting 8mbit out of the promised 30mbit but have contacted them to look into it for me.

Pam applied online for her tax code.

We all went and applied for Medicare today so things are progressing well on that score.

The weather has been fantasic and if this is winter wow. But i must say it does get cold on a night and wished we'd brought a few more warmer clothes with us but have bought now so sorted.

Yesterday we sat out in the afternoon and had to listen to next doors music whch was rather loud to say the least. I've emailed our property agent to ask the best way to handle it cos I don't want to cause more problems by putting my foot in it early on lol

But I'm sure a nice word will do the trick.

On my tenancy agreement it asks me to considerate to the neighbours so maybe I'll have to point that out to them if it happens again...

Pam starts her job on Monday which will be when we'll start a routine and I'll get some chores done around the house.

But all in all we are loving the total experience of Australia and the way of life and people are so friendly it's unbelievable.

Our container arrives in Brisbane on 9th September so still some time to wait for our goods to arrive here.

The car hire we have is with Avis and it's a good deal long term lease because of the length of rental.

We've got it for 4 weeks to start with then can extend 3 times before we have to start a new rental agreement.

We got an upgrade to a Hyundai i30 and the car is great and we think this will be the car we buy in the future.

I'll update more as we go along

Howard

Good that some folk are settling in other states besides WA...lol.......As for the loud neighbours....if you can't resolve the matter yourself then approach your local council office. I had the same problem here in Perth some years back and finally got the local Enviromental Officer, I think she was called. Luckily they were renting so it wasn't too difficult for the lease to be canceled...especially after getting a few other neighbours on board.

Enjoy Brisbane........

Archived