Our Australian adventure Has begun

PontePom

What a pain these people are! The only comfort you can take is that timing is everything and you may get a better offer yet. At least the weather is better. We are enjoying a gorgeous day on the Gold Coast today.

Big hugs to you both from Graham and me.:hug:

:arghh:Excitement over:arghh:

Turns out they were time wasters and have changed their minds...

Oh why did they bother because its made us feel really low now after the excitement!!!

Oh well next one maybe

Howard

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So sorry to hear about the let down. Same thing happened to us when we were going to Australia a few years ago, but they pulled out a few days before the contracts were to be exchanged. Then a neighbour thought he would profit by it and he offered us a very low price for the house/business. I told him where to go and luck was with us when we sold it again a month or so later. I think the UK way of selling houses is wrong. It should be the same as Australia. After your offer has been accepted you have two working days to cool off. After that the house is yours. The vendor can then start to make arrangements to move. In the UK you are still holding your breath as the removal men are taking your furniture out just in case it fails at the last minute. Actually, I don't know how we survive with all the stress!! Best luck next time.

A little update...

We feel we really need a pool and the rental we have now doesn't have one.

I've been looking at an above ground pool and can have 1 with no issues from the owner.

But I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth it with the costs etc

We love the house and where it is but it's just the lack of a pool.

So we've started to look at other properties.

The only problem we have is that if we find one we want we'll have to break our lease.

We've 3 months still to run on it.

This house will be snapped up very quickly so we should be fine.

But really if we gonna move it will be better to move soon and get things sorted before Christmas.

If anyone interested in a great rental on the Shores estate Helensvale in a very nice quiet area, 4 beds, 2 bath, large garage and carport, lovely outdoor space and great gardens drop me a pm.

We're going to look at 2 properties this weekend both with pools.

Howard

Hi Howard

Thought I'd let you know that both car and bike have arrived in Oz in one piece and have cleared customs with just the car needing to be cleaned, the bill for shipping, all port fees, customs fees, duty and GST for both was $7481 which i think equates to about £5000 which for both I think is great as the orginal bill for just shipping both was about £3500-4000 were as the shipping element of this bill was £1600. Well worth the extra hassle of doing it independently.

Just waiting on how to pay by credit card and then they are released to compliance.

Rose

Hi Howard

Thought I'd let you know that both car and bike have arrived in Oz in one piece and have cleared customs with just the car needing to be cleaned, the bill for shipping, all port fees, customs fees, duty and GST for both was $7481 which i think equates to about £5000 which for both I think is great as the orginal bill for just shipping both was about £3500-4000 were as the shipping element of this bill was £1600. Well worth the extra hassle of doing it independently.

Just waiting on how to pay by credit card and then they are released to compliance.

Rose

Nice to hear that Rose

Another step sorted

Howard

Having a look at 1 more house tomorrow with pool and so far none have matched what we have now apart from having a pool.

So if this ones no good we've decided to get an above ground pool cos now we can see a pool doesn't make up for not having a great house which we have now...

KD Pools by Zodiac  Super Low Prices

Not bad prices really will just need to get the ladder fenced and gated.

Howard

Definitely staying here now...

The houses we viewed might have had a pool but were not what we wanted at all no space houses on top of each other so compared to where we are now we know we're so much better off here.

There was one which we missed out on which was excellent to look at from the outside and the price was reasonable but the owners accepted someone on the Friday before we were viewing on the Saturday.

Had a guy round today to quote for the pool fence and given owners the plans for what we want to do.

Having the house inspected on Tuesday next week to see if we're looking after it or not and have already had the offer to extend the lease. Once we get the ok for the plans for the above pool etc we'll go for another 6 months adding to the lease which will take us to August 2011...

So pleased about that

Made me laugh at how many houses we loved the look of when you look online but seeing most in real life tells the real story and they sure know how to take pictures lol

Still no more on the house in UK

Still loving it here

Daughter has made some friends after going to look at school and register for Jan next year.

Son goes on Friday for his enrolment.

Things are going well

Howard

Made me laugh at how many houses we loved the look of when you look online but seeing most in real life tells the real story and they sure know how to take pictures lol

Wait until you are buying Howard - I reckon some of the piccies are photoshopped (though I have to admit we got ours in the UK to photoshop a blue sky over the house). Naughty really...

Glad that you are all happy, particularly the kids, and now feel settled where you are.:wubclub:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi Howard

Leeds are on the up, they are 1 point off a play off place, if Grayson can bring in a couple of top defenders in january, we could could easily get into the plays offs and who knows................ the premiership ?

Unlikely i know, but we can dream. lol

Best of luck with the house situation, the weathers freezing and horrible here buddy, so enjoy yourself, the wife still can't decide between grey run down sunnyless Dewsbury, or Queenslands Sunshine coast. You know what its like mate, women, what goes on in their heads ? lol

Hi Howard

Leeds are on the up, they are 1 point off a play off place, if Grayson can bring in a couple of top defenders in january, we could could easily get into the plays offs and who knows................ the premiership ?

Best of luck with the house situation, the weathers freezing and horrible here buddy, so enjoy yourself, the wife still can't decide between grey run down sunnyless Dewsbury, or Queenslands Sunshine coast. You know what its like mate, women, what goes on in their heads ? lol

Not this woman! The sun wins every time!!!

Hi Howard

Fingers crossed Leeds will do it tonight against Hull...

It makes me cringe thinking about Dewsbury now lol

Still got some family over their but won't be visiting em any time soon...

This place is great and well worth the risk even at the poor exchange rate

Thanks to all for the support

Howard

House inspection this morning...

House is clean and ready and just waiting for them to arrive.

Not actually worried maybe I should be but we've arranged another 6 month extension so unless they find something that we haven't seen we should be fine.

I'll update when they've gone

Howard

• 1 month later...

Hi Howard,

I wanted to let you know I have had a nightmare with shipping my car! He has messed me about since October - first submitting the wrong documents, which he admitted was totally his fault, then promising he had the inside track and we would be given priority. He also agreed to pay half my additional storage costs, but now has gone "walkabout". Doesn't answer his phone, or emails and sent me a text after dozens of contacts, asking if I just called his home number (which I don't have, but clearly another disgruntled client does!). I replied to his text saying that since he was obviously available would he give me a call. Zilch, nix, nada!

I have contacted the department and been told at least mid Jan before I get docs. I could wring his lousey little neck. I just wanted to tell you so you do not recommend him to anyone else.

This will have to go legal, but that is interesting as he has no address and no ABN. I guess you were lucky, but the moral is to check all details carefully.

If in your dealings you have any numbers, other than his mobile, or any address, can you send it to me by PM please.

Thanks so much....I hope all is going well for you despite the weather. Apart from the car we are happy (even if we have nothing - all the furniture is coming in a container with the car, so living on boxes...lol) but we are really happy. Yesterday we bought our house, so now we have a few more months here while we decorate and sort the house out and wait for our container, then we will be set. We are living in Glass House Mountain, where are you?

Have a great weekend and I hope to hear from you regarding our friend Kristian!!

Cheers for now,

Sharon

Hi Howard,

Thank you so much for that. I will give him a call.

I will let you know how I go.

Have a great day,

Sharon

I'm so sorry to hear this...

I did the application for the car import myself before talking to Kristian.

I can only speak for what happened to me and it all went reasonably well apart from 1 stage where the car sat for 2 days waiting to be collected and no one knew what to do which I wasn't happy about.

But a little miscommunication I guess happens.

I only had his email and mobile number.

I hope you get things sorted

If I can help with anything ask away

We're in Helensvale

Howard

Practically neighbours..hehehe.

Thanks for coming back to me. I am at a total loss now. Financially the delays have cost heaps as we had the car delivered to the storage in expectation it would only be there a week or so. I am just glad we did not take his advice and have it shipped without the paperwork! So, it could have been worse I guess.

Are you all enjoying it here?

Practically neighbours..hehehe.

Thanks for coming back to me about Kristian. I am at a total loss now. Financially the delays have cost heaps as we had the car delivered to the storage in expectation it would only be there a week or so. I am just glad we did not take his advice and have it shipped without the paperwork! So, it could have been worse I guess.

Are you all enjoying it here?

Loving it here

Nicely settled now

Pick up a new car tomorrow can't wait cos its been hard with only 1 car but we've managed.

Howard

Lovely to hear you are settling so well. I will PM my phone number then, if you want we could have a chat sometime.

I may look for our friend on here and leave a cryptic message that may inspire him to act!! Thanks for that.

We bought a new car as soon as we could, but now waiting on the second car...lol. We signed contracts on a house yesterday, so we are thrilled.

It would be great to catch up sometime.

Cheers for now Howard,

Sharon

• 1 month later...

Ours basicly did nothing other than get shippers to transport car to compliance guy, then did nothing I had to sort out everything with compliance guy, he also misplaced original import documents costing us 6 days car rental (which he did repay so quess I'm lucky there) but we did get car 3 weeks later than planned and discussed and charged extra rental for the 6 days by compliance guy that he wouldn't pay! So really all he did was suggest a shippers to use and make a phone call to sort out delivery to compliance guy! not impressed!

Depending on the outcome of the next two days (he emailed me and said I should have the documents by the end of the week) I will send you my honest assesment. If the documents are not here by the end of the week I will send you my honest assesment - plus vent my spleen.

The whole process has been a nightmare and I wish we had never taken it on!

I will report back soon.

Sharon

Ours basicly did nothing other than get shippers to transport car to compliance guy, then did nothing I had to sort out everything with compliance guy, he also misplaced original import documents costing us 6 days car rental (which he did repay so quess I'm lucky there) but we did get car 3 weeks later than planned and discussed and charged extra rental for the 6 days by compliance guy that he wouldn't pay! So really all he did was suggest a shippers to use and make a phone call to sort out delivery to compliance guy! not impressed!

Depending on the outcome of the next two days (he emailed me and said I should have the documents by the end of the week) I will send you my honest assesment. If the documents are not here by the end of the week I will send you my honest assesment - plus vent my spleen.

The whole process has been a nightmare and I wish we had never taken it on!

I will report back soon.

Sharon

Good luck! It is worth it in the end when you get your car!!

Rose

I think If I was doing it again I'd have not bothered with using an agent...

It did help with some bits but when your in the UK it sounds harder than it actually is and what the agent actually does for you when you could've easily done it yourself.

Hope you get things sorted

Howard

Guest The Pom Queen

I have had to edit/delete some posts to comply with forum rules, especially

"PomsInoz.com is not the appropriate medium for personal or private vendettas. This forum should not be used to attempt to resolve personal problems or to 'name & shame' fellow members, migration agents, service providers or anyone else and posts that fall into this category may be deleted by moderators where it is considered necessary. Please email the company directly to attempt to resolve these issues in the first instance"

Thank you for your understanding.

Well we've been here now for more than 5 months so I thought a little update was due...

Kids started school last week and after some nerves they seem to be enjoying it so far.

We think we made the right choice to give them time to settle in Australia before forcing them into school and so far so good.

Pam's still enjoying her work but has been helping with other departments because of the floods etc.

We extended our lease for another 6 months so we're sorted until August and can foresee us extending it again as we love where we are.

Our house in the UK is still on the market at a stupidly low price now but still no interest:sad:

It's now been on the market for 14 months 3 viewers 1 offer which we accepted then they pulled out all in space of 3 days.

Here's hoping that 2011 will be a selling year for us.

I love it that I can drop the kids at school then drive for 10-15mins to the beach and I fast walk for 30mins then turn around and come back. The lovely warm sunshine and a great breeze to cool you down.

Then home to start on the chores feeling refreshed and hopefully it'll help me to lose a few pounds that I need to.

Anyone wondering about doing this soon all I can say is do your homework, it isn't easy, but if you want it bad enough you'll get their in the end.

Lots of ups and downs along the way but because we're all different what is great for me and my family might not be for you.

I get sick of reading about some that desperately want to come to Australia or so they say on here but won't do so because they'll be financially worse off and probably lose money. Well you only get one life so do it or stop going on about it lol

I'll be looking into setting up my own Computer repair/upgrade business shortly as that's what I did very well in the UK so keep me in mind if you have any problems just drop me a PM if your on the Gold Coast near Helensvale.

I'm actually shocked that the heat is isn't getting to me as much as I thought it would and still haven't used the aircon yet.

We have several fans around the house and they do a good job.

I'd love to have a pool but not a necessity now but I bet it's nice.

Still thinking of an above ground pool here once our house sells.

Pam's Mum is coming over to stay with us in April for just over 4 weeks and it'll be great to see and I know Pam will love showing her around but I also know it'll be sad when it's time for her to leave.

We bought a Kia Rio Sports as a 2nd car and it was a good deal with low finance which suits us well.

We got an extra's only hospital fund with HCF which we'll see how we go in the first year to see if it's good value to do or not.

So I think that covers most of it for now

Howard

Archived