So sick of being "ripped off"

Guest christi

Guest chris955

Yes I'm afraid anyone who can't see that their clothing and indeed food isn't far better quality is kidding themselves.

I get all my clothes from M&S especially the kids school shorts and trousers. So much better quality. I get all my quilts, bedding, soft furnishings etc.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest shelleymarie

I'm sorry for all of you who have spent time and money getting here only to find it's not for you - it makes me wonder about the whole idea of emigrating, it used to be only for people living in desperate poverty like the Calabrians (my husband's family!), now it's touted as such an amazing wonderful thing to do, a great adventure - yes it's an adventure but for many people it would be better to choose a safari or something if you want adventure where you can go home again!

I'm one of those that has lived in a few countries and enjoyed them all, they've all got pros and cons - Pollyanna I know! - but I wonder if it's something to do with the fact that I always wanted to travel, and not just travel but live in a different country, I begged my mum to move us to the US when i was 8 and read a book about it! I left UK when I was 19 and never felt homesick - cold bitch I know! - anyway it just makes me think that leaving your homeland forever is just not for everyone and it's a shame some people have to spend a fortune to find that out, and then often be stuck there.

Guest itskaren
Yes I'm afraid anyone who can't see that their clothing and indeed food isn't far better quality is kidding themselves.

Confused. Are you saying that it is better in Australia or the UK?

Guest chris955

Not UK or Australia, just that the quality of M&S is of an obvious higher standard than normal High Street stuff in both countries.

Confused. Are you saying that it is better in Australia or the UK?

Guest itskaren
Not UK or Australia, just that the quality of M&S is of an obvious higher standard than normal High Street stuff in both countries.

Oh ok .. yep I am with you 100% on that one.

I'm sorry for all of you who have spent time and money getting here only to find it's not for you - QUOTE]

I do not and have never felt sorry about spending time and money to come over here.

Yes, I want to 'go back' but I feel priviliged to have been able to come here and experience what it is like.

As said before, many people can only dream about emigrating - we have had the chance and I have absolutely no regrets.

In reply to the original thread though............I too find things overpriced here BUT, this is Australia - not the UK.

Gill

It's dear as hell here now,let's not delude ourselves.Most of the groceries are way dearer than in the UK(I know because ive just got back to OZ for the UK)Bedding, decent Bread,clothes,Houses the list goes on and on.Newcomers should be aware of this IMO.:eek:

Guest guest30038

Tell that to the missus, with 27 fish tanks, a pond and a pool, I tell her I can't afford to water the garden :biglaugh:

kev

Guest guest36187

We find teh same with groceries. My OH went back to UK in March this year and spent some weeks there. He commented on the prices of stuff, alcohol too. The wine he pays $16 for here is the equivilent of $6 in UK. We did a shop once on Asda online and checked out prices. UK is MUCH cheaper at the moment.

Guest chris955

I wonder what the reason for this is ? It's not that food etc has suddenly become cheaper in the UK, it seems that it hasn't risen that much in recent times. It doesn't seem to be because of the recession as prices haven't been rising there as fast as they have here for quite sometime now. What is behind the rapid rise in our cost of living ?

Guest famousfive

You would not mind the rise in prices but wages seem to be pretty stagnant for a long time now,so the pinch is more like a full blown snip!

This may be hard to believe but it is true so bear with me.My OH is a chef and has recently been looking to change jobs as his wage was very low.The wage he was offered in 7 different restaurants is exactly the same as he earned in the same town in 2002/3.Our rent for a 3bed then was $180,now $320 two streets away.Going by those figures we are now expected to live on $140 less a week even though food,fuel,electricity etc have risen year on year.

As we plan on returning home we have recently started looking at the cost of living back in Ireland as things have changed there considerably since we left nearly 2yrs ago.Food is still costly as it always has been,but wages are way higher and rent much lower than what we get here,and that's saying something because IRL has always been a rip off compared to the UK.The prices in Aus must be a real eyeopener for those arriving from the UK,how do you all manage to afford the move?

Guest guest30038
I wonder what the reason for this is ? It's not that food etc has suddenly become cheaper in the UK, it seems that it hasn't risen that much in recent times. It doesn't seem to be because of the recession as prices haven't been rising there as fast as they have here for quite sometime now. What is behind the rapid rise in our cost of living ?

Eeeeeeeerm? A labour government selling off public assets with the promise of more competition equates to lower prices? :goofy:

kev

when I think of all the time and money, it took to get visas, and the cost of getting here,and what its gonna cost me to get us all home, it sickens me really

The visa process was a nightmare, and I never want to put myself through that again

We pay $4 for a loaf of bread here now, and its only a cheap loaf,dont know what you guys on the mainland pay, but what a rip-off!!!!!!!!!!!

Been reading this thread with interest and there seems to be a lot of negatives on here. How many of you actually came out here before making the big move to check it out? Not many i imagine. It amazes me that people move to the other side of the world after only using the internet and other peoples' opinions to make probably the biggest move of your life. Would you buy a second hand car without going to see it? If you arrive here without even bothering to come and see it for yourselves and then end up miserable then you only have yourselves to blame. I'm sorry for being harsh!

I arrived back from England on Monday and yes it may be cheap but it's still a s*ithole!

Andy

Guest guest36187

I DIDNT do a reccie out here for 3 reasons.

1. I couldnt afford it!

2. Being on holiday here and working/living here cannot be compared! They are too different.

3. I wanted to move here with an open mind and no preconceptions and that worked for me!

Guest chris955

You have the right attitude to make it here that's for sure. The thing is that many people came here from beautiful parts of the UK and that contributes to the way they feel. If they had come from an area that was as you describe a '****hole' they might well feel very differently about this country.

I arrived back from England on Monday and yes it may be cheap but it's still a s*ithole!

Andy

You have the right attitude to make it here that's for sure. The thing is that many people came here from beautiful parts of the UK and that contributes to the way they feel. If they had come from an area that was as you describe a '****hole' they might well feel very differently about this country.

So what your saying is, you must come from a **** part of the UK for Australia to work out :wacko:

We find teh same with groceries. My OH went back to UK in March this year and spent some weeks there. He commented on the prices of stuff, alcohol too. The wine he pays $16 for here is the equivilent of $6 in UK. We did a shop once on Asda online and checked out prices. UK is MUCH cheaper at the moment.

How did the fresh food travel???? :biglaugh:

So what your saying is, you must come from a **** part of the UK for Australia to work out :wacko:

That is what they are saying but is crap in my view. I was brought up on the edge of the Lakes, lived in rural Cambridgeshire before I lived here and I still have a better life in Australia. It is all about personal circumstances and attitudes.

I was referring to the country in general!

Guest chris955

No that isn't what I am saying at all but if it is the way you choose to interpret it that's fine. :biggrin: From my experience and from knowing a few people here those many of those (not all) that came from really nice areas don't settle as well as many of those who came from a ****hole.

You obviously have no issue with someone making an absurd statement like the entire UK is a ****hole though ?

Guest chris955

Sorry you feel like that, you have missed out on so much. You must have come from a very bad area.

I was referring to the country in general!

Been reading this thread with interest and there seems to be a lot of negatives on here. How many of you actually came out here before making the big move to check it out? Not many i imagine. It amazes me that people move to the other side of the world after only using the internet and other peoples' opinions to make probably the biggest move of your life. Would you buy a second hand car without going to see it? If you arrive here without even bothering to come and see it for yourselves and then end up miserable then you only have yourselves to blame. I'm sorry for being harsh!

Andy

How amusing...

Yes we came to Australia on three occasions prior to emigrating. How true...coming on holiday to do a reckie does have some value, but living in a country is not the same as living here. Living and working in Australia are totally separate from being on holiday! You have the life pressures wherever you are.

How do you know how you will feel after being separated from family and all you know unless you give it a go? This section on Poms in Oz goes some way to informing you. Coming to live in Australia is a journey; don't knock them, as it takes guts. If one remains here and doesn't look back, then great, good on you, but if you decide that you've seen enough then at least you've given it a go.

The UK being a '... hole'. Try moving to a place in the UK that you feel more akin to. Change the way you live life...get out of that rut. Many of us have discovered, by coming over to Oz, that the UK has more to offer us; a sense of belonging, family, etc.. This thread is about the cost of living in Australia has gone up. There is no denying that it is more expensive here than it was 5 years ago...this affects quality of life.

Personally I can't wait to get back home and explore what it has to offer; 30 minutes to Europe, seeing family at the weekend and talking in same timezone, skiing, great variety, gardens that grow, keeping warm through good dress sense, Plethora of British accents, Bitter, familiarity, an education system that gives children something to aim for,...before you think it, I am not anti-Australia, I love Australia it have provided me with a wonderful lifestyle, two beautiful boys, strong friendships and most of all perspective, but the journey has come to an end and I am excited by the next phase, back in the UK.

No that isn't what I am saying at all but if it is the way you choose to interpret it that's fine. :biggrin: From my experience and from knowing a few people here those many of those (not all) that came from really nice areas don't settle as well as many of those who came from a ****hole.

You obviously have no issue with someone making an absurd statement like the entire UK is a ****hole though ?

No not really! I'm not the one trying to justify my decision to return back to the UK :wink:

Guest chris955

Who's doing that ?

No not really! I'm not the one trying to justify my decision to return back to the UK :wink:

Archived