So sick of being "ripped off"

Guest christi

Guest gail.crease
And shoes too,kids school shoes $90 and they only lasted 6 weeks.

I get the kids feet measured here then my mum picks new shoes up in the end of season sale for 10-20 quid and posts them in time for our new season. It's saved us a fortune even with the cost of postage. She does the same with clothes. There are so many bargains especially summer clothes in the UK. She also has a good nose to sniff out the bargains which helps. Kids clothes are light too so they don't cost much to post.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest gail.crease

I don't know about you but I've lost the thrill and excitement of shopping especially clothes and homeware. It's a chore not a pleasure here because I don't get what I really want, there's not much choice, the quality is poor and I feel like I"m being ripped off. I said this to work colleagues the other day and they were surprised as Melbourne had the reputation of being the shopping mecca in Oz. When I explained the above to them they were really shocked. They thought they were lucky living here with so much shopping facitlites. They probably are compared to the rest of Oz but not compared to the UK.

Guest gail.crease

I'm on a roll here:wink:. My main complaint is kid's glasses. My son's glasses cost $500 in OPSM. He's extremely long sighted and so he doesn't have coke bottle glasses has to have them specially thinned down which costs a bit. He's only 3 and keeps breaking them. I complained that they couldn't be child proof and should be under warranty. They backed down and let me pay only $250 for a replacement pair. While we were waiting for them to be replaced he broke his spare pair. I was fit to blow at the prospect of paying another $250 and complained. Luckily they didn't charge me and I got them free. We got a special last week for my daughter's glasses (and they were in the sale at $150.

In the UK kids glasses are free on the NHS. We paid a bit more for my daughter's ones when we lived there as we didn't like the NHS ones on offer. However we only paid once and no matter how many times she broke them we got them replace free.

Ok rant over :twitcy:

I'm on a roll here:wink:. My main complaint is kid's glasses. My son's glasses cost $500 in OPSM. He's extremely long sighted and so he doesn't have coke bottle glasses has to have them specially thinned down which costs a bit. He's only 3 and keeps breaking them. I complained that they couldn't be child proof and should be under warranty. They backed down and let me pay only $250 for a replacement pair. While we were waiting for them to be replaced he broke his spare pair. I was fit to blow at the prospect of paying another $250 and complained. Luckily they didn't charge me and I got them free. We got a special last week for my daughter's glasses (and they were in the sale at $150.

In the UK kids glasses are free on the NHS. We paid a bit more for my daughter's ones when we lived there as we didn't like the NHS ones on offer. However we only paid once and no matter how many times she broke them we got them replace free.

Ok rant over :twitcy:

OPSM a rip off last time son needed glasses managed to get 2 pairs from specsavers (one designer one not) covered by health fund. Its worth shopping around.

Guest Guest9973

I agree that a lot of things here are at least the same price if not more than the UK (don't call it home).

I guess some people do still think it is cheaper here - and it was a few years ago.

One thing to remember is that the Australian economy is tiny compared to the UK.

we only have 21 million where the UK has 60 million plus involvement with and close to the European economy.

It is bound to be more expensive.

Also the size of the country does not help, products have to travel a long way here!

Guest chris955

The problem with that argument is that when we moved up to Queensland 10 years ago this country was cheaper for absolutely everything, since then and especially in the last 5 years the gap has not only closed but has reversed.

I should add that I am not using the current exchange rate or the rate 5 or 10 years ago, I always use a more realistic rate of 2:1.

The problem with that argument is that when we moved up to Queensland 10 years ago this country was cheaper for absolutely everything, since then and especially in the last 5 years the gap has not only closed but has reversed.

I should add that I am not using the current exchange rate or the rate 5 or 10 years ago, I always use a more realistic rate of 2:1.

Not having a go BUT

Why on earth are you comparing prices when you have lived in Australia for so long?

Guest chris955

Why not ? I have also lived in the UK for many years and we are looking at going back next year.

My wife was there last year and also noticed how cheap many things were.

Not having a go BUT

Why on earth are you comparing prices when you have lived in Australia for so long?

Guest Arnold
Im having a moany day (no comments please..LOL)

I have got a couple of poster prints that I wanted to get a frame for, now if I was in the UK, I could go to Wilkinsons or somewhere and just get one for GBP 20.00 or so

No , not here,,,,,$150 each, is the cheapest I can find, my calculations to convert that, means aroundGBP 94.50.

For a plain black frame, Im shocked:mad:

I feel so sorry for those coming here, who like us, were so unaware of how expensive it is here.Not much fun for :arghh:them, with the conversion rate either

I want to go home,,,,NOW

Oh you and me both honey!!!!! Doesn't it drive you mad. And for those peeps that don't realise this will do when they get here.....even if we tried to warn them in advance, they wouldn't want to hear it as we probably didn't when we were trying to get here.

I'm an Englishman.......GET ME OUTTA HERE! lol:arghh:

I want to add some balance here.

Some things ARE more expensive than UK

Some things are cheaper than UK

Some things are better quality than UK

Some things are not such good quality

You always need to shop around and do price comparisons wherever you are.

We just had three HUGE ( 12 inches long) pork chops, which I bought from Coles for $10. They tasted delicious. We couldn't do that in UK.

Fruit is wonderful here. Some veg is more expensive (brussell sprouts!!!!), but not all, and it is mostly much fresher than in UK.

Bed linen is VERY expensive here, but if you wait for the sales you can get some real bargains (K-mart currently have 450 count cotton sheet sets, Queen size for $20)

Outdoor furniture is cheaper than UK. Here in regional Qld indoor furniture is more expensive, except for A-mart (we have no Ikea).

I have just bought some underwear from M&S as I couldn't find my fave style here but if they didn't have such reasonable shipping costs I would soon learn to make do and would eventually learn to like what we have here. That's what happens. We had the same thing when we lived in Ireland in the early 1990s. You couldn't get everything we were used to and for a while we used to stock up when we visited family, but eventually we started to prefer the Irish products and didn't bother any more.

I firmly believe much of our "preference issues" are down to our mindset.

We are all drinking out of the same glass - but some of us see it as half full, some of us see it as half empty.

Guest christi
Oh you and me both honey!!!!! Doesn't it drive you mad. And for those peeps that don't realise this will do when they get here.....even if we tried to warn them in advance, they wouldn't want to hear it as we probably didn't when we were trying to get here.

I'm an Englishman.......GET ME OUTTA HERE! lol:arghh:

I dont reckon we would of listened either, you know. I can remember watching a programme about ex-pats here, who were so unhappy, feeling like a lot of us do, and they were desperatly trying to get home. I really thought they were just moaners, and of course, that would never be me!!!. But it is,and yeah, I am so p....d off with the place now. I could scream:arghh:

When I think of all the time and money, it took to get visas, and the cost of getting here,and what its gonna cost me to get us all home, it sickens me really

The visa process was a nightmare, and I never want to put myself through that again

We pay $4 for a loaf of bread here now, and its only a cheap loaf,dont know what you guys on the mainland pay, but what a rip-off!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest christi
crazy clarkes have cheap frames--give them a go

Thanks Hun, but Im in Northern Tassie, and we just dont have those shops here, we dont have much really...LOL

Guest brooksey

I'm happy here in Australia but have to say petrol is cheaper in Australia and some meat. Other than that absolutley everthing is cheaper in the UK. End of.

Guest christi
I'm happy here in Australia but have to say petrol is cheaper in Australia and some meat. Other than that absolutley everthing is cheaper in the UK. End of.

you are so right, in what you say.petrol is $1.32 a litre in Tas, for unleaded, what are you guys paying now???:chatterbox:

Guest guest30038
you are so right, in what you say.petrol is $1.32 a litre in Tas, for unleaded, what are you guys paying now???:chatterbox:

$1.17 yesterday

kev

In the seven years we have lived in Oz we've noticed an increase in prices and a general decrease in the standard of living. It is a pity for Australians this erosion of quality of life (more expensive, more traffic, more inferior food outlets....). Maybe it's the world over with crazy house prices, the maximizing of profits by business owners...blah, blah! It's still great here in many ways, just not as good as 10 years ago. Whinge...whinge! :wink:

I'm under no illusions that the UK is better in terms of quality of life, because it is not, but there is definitely more choice, more bargains, greater familiarity (even after 7 years) and I do feel there is less profiteering in the UK, possibly due to more competition and culture...we'll see. Planning our return for June 2011.

Yeah petrol is cheaper, no doubt, but here we tend to drive longer distances and have gas guzzlers as cars. I have a beautiful Forester which guzzles 9 l/100km (not abnormal for here - many do more!). In the Uk I'll get a diesel mpv where i'll get twice the economy. Cars are generally more expensive in the UK, but there is more choice and higher specified in terms of extras...swings and roundabouts really.

Guest guest36187
In the seven years we have lived in Oz we've noticed an increase in prices and a general decrease in the standard of living. It is a pity for Australians this erosion of quality of life (more expensive, more traffic, more inferior food outlets....). Maybe it's the world over with crazy house prices, the maximizing of profits by business owners...blah, blah! It's still great here in many ways, just not as good as 10 years ago. Whinge...whinge! :wink:

I'm under no illusions that the UK is better in terms of quality of life, because it is not, but there is definitely more choice, more bargains, greater familiarity (even after 7 years) and I do feel there is less profiteering in the UK, possibly due to more competition and culture...we'll see. Planning our return for June 2011.

I can agree with taht. We have been here just over 5.5 years and seen the same. Prices have sky rocketed in last 5 years. When we first arrived petrol was 78c per litre!!!

Uk, better in terms of quality of life??? Depends whatyou are looking for I suppose and how you define quality. Quality for me is time together as a couple/family.

GOod Luck with your return to UK x

I can agree with taht. We have been here just over 5.5 years and seen the same. Prices have sky rocketed in last 5 years. When we first arrived petrol was 78c per litre!!!

Uk, better in terms of quality of life??? Depends whatyou are looking for I suppose and how you define quality. Quality for me is time together as a couple/family.

GOod Luck with your return to UK x

Yeah, you can't Beat family being around; hence our return. I feel that the weather and wide open spaces does make for a better quality of life Downunder, but we're really excited by our imminent return! We will miss Australia; love it here, but we (wife, two Aussie boys and myself) all need to have the family around now.

By the way, did I mention that I'm excited? :biggrin:

Guest guest30038

Well, without doing the maths precisely that just about sums up/confirms how prices have rocketed in the last 5 yrs.

When we arrived 15 yrs ago, petrol was 51c, the same as pence to the dollar, so in the subsequent 10 yrs, petrol rose 27c, just over 50%. an average of 5%pa. The next 5 yrs it rose from 78c to an average of 1.30....... approx a 75% in just 5 yrs! an average of 15%pa!

Electric is somewhere around 36% in 3 yrs of Labour gov't and water 27% :arghh:

And the price of sausage is ridiculous! :biglaugh:

kev

Guest itskaren
I hear you! My husband is getting paid in sterling so we're getting well and truely stung!

We've just ordered a load of clothes from M & S, I'm so looking forward to receiving nice quality affordable clothing! Something I'm still looking for over here.

I get all my clothes from M&S especially the kids school shorts and trousers. So much better quality. I get all my quilts, bedding, soft furnishings etc.

Well, without doing the maths precisely that just about sums up/confirms how prices have rocketed in the last 5 yrs.

When we arrived 15 yrs ago, petrol was 51c, the same as pence to the dollar, so in the subsequent 10 yrs, petrol rose 27c, just over 50%. an average of 5%pa. The next 5 yrs it rose from 78c to an average of 1.30....... approx a 75% in just 5 yrs! an average of 15%pa!

Electric is somewhere around 36% in 3 yrs of Labour gov't and water 27% :arghh:

And the price of sausage is ridiculous! :biglaugh:

kev

Don't get me started about damned water in Australia; talk about ineffectual, "how can we make a profit?" solutions..."ooh, I can't recycle water"; WHY NOT?,; "...let's desalinate sea water instead"; protest...well let's ignore that, push through legislation...backhander, backhander, backhander!!!!! See, shouldn't have mentioned water. :laugh:

Archived