So sick of being "ripped off"

Guest christi

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest christi
I certainly can say that and I have.

If you don't want to read or hear things that are positive about a place you purport to hold in disdain then don't post it on an open forum where anyone may read and reply to it. MBTTUK is not an exclusive area of this forum and I am just as free to post here as anyone else.

you can post what you like, where you like, as everyone can

I note though that you only seem to "jump" on anyone, who you think talks tas down. Yes I dislike the place very much, but I dont like Oz full stop,,,,if you maybe take time to read other posts. I have only lived properly in Tas, so I comment on Tassie prices, stuff that happens here etc

Whilst someone who lives in WA will comment more on that area

Its great that you are happy here, but you need to realise that not everyone finds oz, whether it be Tas or elsewhere wonderful and to take such offence,well!!!!

This forum is about prices in oz in general and once again , you have turned it into a personal attack on Tasmania, from your point of view

People dont come to Tassie for a reason, and not a lot stay, when they do come. If you come, here, as you have and fit in,,,great,,,,but dont knock those who find the place, very wrong, in many ways.

Guest christi
Yes I've been looking at that as well, high speed broadband, phone including calls and 100 odd channels of TV for about a third what we pay here.

I know Chris, we were looking online at BT, and we are shocked how cheap our broadband will be once we get home. Dont know if its correct or not, but theres talk of everyone here, being made to pay $5000 per household, if that new broadband is rolled out....ouch!! Cant be right surely,,,,if it is , I do hope Im out of here, by then:arghh:

Guest siamsusie

NBN could cost households 'an extra $3000' | The Australian

NBN could cost households 'an extra $3000

It has argued that some households could pay up to $3000 in rewiring costs to take full advantage of the superfast internet service.

I was surprised that we have a poor service in Tasmania in some areas. I had to rely on a dongle for the first 3 months which was expensive and extremely frustrating. We obtained a Government grant for satellite which has cost us nothing and we pay $22 pm which isnt bad and touch wood not experiencing problems.

Its hard to compare Aus v UK, we dont have the population here to sustain the costs imo at present.

Guest christi
I am with ANZ and I don't get charged ATM fees. Who do you bank with??

Im with commonwealth and we pay $2.00 a month for the account and dont pay any ATM fees either,,

Ehawton-yes Ireland is doing it tough right now and will be for a long time,especially if they don't get rid of the muppets in charge.We are unfortunatly well aware of the bite of recession as our business also went down the tubes before we left.We are fortunate to return to a reasonably ok area that we know we can survive in until things pick up.We will not be unemployed thankfully,we return to a business lease that will keep us afloat at worst.It is a shame to see how bad things are right now but we have been through tough times before in Ireland and will hopefully learn from this one so the damage will not be so severe if it happens again.We may well regret returning,who knows,but if it all goes belly up we can always try elsewhere.Things are not all bad in Oz by any means,but it is not for us so we plan to leave.We could move town or state but this is not our first trip here and we know ot is no longer what we want.

Hi famous five, i wish you the best of luck with your move back to ireland, I really hope it all works out for you. Its a truly beautiful place, i love it here and will be sorry in a way to leave. Unfortunately for us though, i cant see a very bright future here. My husband is a carpenter, and out of work for 2nd time now in the last 12 months. The work opportunities just arent here. He's been a tradesman for 25yrs and never had a day with no work. Its a shock to the system to be in this position now. With 3 kids to think of, its very stressful times worrying how to pay the next bill.

Reading all the messages posted on this site, i am beginning to wonder though whether we will even be able to afford to live in australia. when we first started out applying for our pr visa 2yrs ago, house prices here were good, exchange rate was good. Since then, house prices have fallen dramatically, along with exchange rate. The way things are going, we'll be lucky to get a reasonable price for our house when we are in a position to sell. If we dont get enough for it, we simply wont be able to make the move.

Anyway, best of luck to you wherever you end up. Ireland knocks the spots off the uk that is for sure!!!

Guest christi
Hi famous five, i wish you the best of luck with your move back to ireland, I really hope it all works out for you. Its a truly beautiful place, i love it here and will be sorry in a way to leave. Unfortunately for us though, i cant see a very bright future here. My husband is a carpenter, and out of work for 2nd time now in the last 12 months. The work opportunities just arent here. He's been a tradesman for 25yrs and never had a day with no work. Its a shock to the system to be in this position now. With 3 kids to think of, its very stressful times worrying how to pay the next bill.

Reading all the messages posted on this site, i am beginning to wonder though whether we will even be able to afford to live in australia. when we first started out applying for our pr visa 2yrs ago, house prices here were good, exchange rate was good. Since then, house prices have fallen dramatically, along with exchange rate. The way things are going, we'll be lucky to get a reasonable price for our house when we are in a position to sell. If we dont get enough for it, we simply wont be able to make the move.

Anyway, best of luck to you wherever you end up. Ireland knocks the spots off the uk that is for sure!!!

Hi

I do feel for you, my hubby is a tradie and he was the same in the UK , no work, and life was just getting us down, we knew we could never afford to pay our mortgage off, and we would be robbing Peter to pay Paul forever more

We applied to come to Aus, and in the 14 months that our visa took to be processed, we watched house prices rocket.By the time we arrived, we could not afford anywhere , in Melbourne, apart from areas, that we would not want to live in,,,,YUK.The exchange rate had dropped a lot, so we lost out there, albeit no-where near as bad as it is now.

Anyway we flew down to Tas, as we had heard house prices were a lot cheaper here, and we managed to buy a reasonable place, albeit miles from anywhere, but at least we had somewhere.It was either that or turn around and go home, it was a big shock for us, nothing was as we expected

On the plus side,,,,we have done ok, my hubby has only been out of work here for a few months, and although he doesant earn anywhere near what he used to earn in the UK (when he had work ), he has had fairley consistent work here,

I would think there is a lot more work for Tradies on the mainland, and I would of thought the wages are higher. Its just the house-prices and the cost of living, that you need to be aware of.

From what you say about Ireland though, it sounds very expensive there.

It is a very hard desicion to make, not a choice I would want to have to make now

We are heading back to the UK, asap, Oz is not for us, we miss far too much about "home", warts 'n'all.

I wish you lots and lots of luck in your desicion and I hope whatever you deceide to do, works out for you.:biggrin:

Guest famousfive

Ehawton,do not lose hope but continue to follow your dreams to the best of your ability within the circumstances you find yourself in at the time.Australia has a lot to offer,for some it is a hard transition and for others not,thankfully.Read all the info,add a pinch of commonsense,then a dash of ambition and a blob of adventurous spirit and you will have a good receipe to give it all a good go.That is all any of us can do.You may be in a position to rent rather than sell your home,if so then you have little to lose and much to gain in terms of experiences for the whole family.If you must sell then you can go with much more finances behind you,either way has it's advantages.

I hope your OH gets some work again soon,do you mind me asking which part of the country you are in?From Galway myself,the OH is an Aussie but his blood has been suitably watered down with Guinness at this stage and feels more Irish than Australian.He wanted to leave within a few months of arriving,lol.

There have been comments on this thread about how it's not as cheap as it used to be.

5 years ago, 7 years ago, 10 years ago.

Prices have always gone up have they not?

In Australia, in the UK, everywhere I'd have thought.

A few years ago I could buy 3 pints for a fiver. More than a tenner now.

Wages may not have kept up but I don't think they ever have, or ever will.

Does the exchange rate has a bearing? The rate at the time of moving to Australia does stick in the mind and I have found that it is easier to use that one for calculating cost rather than the current rate.

We have found some items that I think are expensive or overpriced eg. beds, some linen items, some foods but also have found cheaper things, rail travel, swimming pool enterance fees, eating out, some foods.

I don't think I would think about moving back because a loaf costs $4.

Or because 2nd hand cars may be more expensive.

There would have to be bigger reasons.

BTW, even though the cost of electricity has apparently gone through the roof here, our bill is less than half what we were paying in the uk. No gas here but we did in the uk, add those two together and it shocks me in the difference in power costs between here and there.

Oh, I do think that houses can be very expensive, but alot of course depends on location and size.

We will be looking for a small place!

you can post what you like, where you like, as everyone can

I note though that you only seem to "jump" on anyone, who you think talks tas down. Yes I dislike the place very much, but I dont like Oz full stop,,,,if you maybe take time to read other posts. I have only lived properly in Tas, so I comment on Tassie prices, stuff that happens here etc

Whilst someone who lives in WA will comment more on that area

Its great that you are happy here, but you need to realise that not everyone finds oz, whether it be Tas or elsewhere wonderful and to take such offence,well!!!!

This forum is about prices in oz in general and once again , you have turned it into a personal attack on Tasmania, from your point of view

People dont come to Tassie for a reason, and not a lot stay, when they do come. If you come, here, as you have and fit in,,,great,,,,but dont knock those who find the place, very wrong, in many ways.

Christi, I reckon that's enough don't you. It's you who has been knocking Tasmania and the people who live here. Those of us who don't have an axe to grind have every right to point out the facts and contradict your opinions. And by the way this is a thread and not a forum. I have stuck to the topic at hand in relation to pricing except in this instance where I simply wanted to take the time to post and ask you again to back off and calm down.

Archived