So sick of being "ripped off"

Guest christi

Guest christi

Im having a moany day (no comments please..LOL)

I have got a couple of poster prints that I wanted to get a frame for, now if I was in the UK, I could go to Wilkinsons or somewhere and just get one for GBP 20.00 or so

No , not here,,,,,$150 each, is the cheapest I can find, my calculations to convert that, means aroundGBP 94.50.

For a plain black frame, Im shocked:mad:

I feel so sorry for those coming here, who like us, were so unaware of how expensive it is here.Not much fun for :arghh:them, with the conversion rate either

I want to go home,,,,NOW

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Noodle

Sorry your having a bad time of it at the mo and I fully agree, WHAT A RIP OFF. If you still have the receipt take them back. Why, because you can go to the Auz. alternative of a charity shop, buy an old picture with frame (just keep hunting you will come across the right size) tape, and spray or, sponge them. Chin up, best of british (it really is not all that over here in the UK at the mo!) and go treat yourself to the biggest ice-cream or bar of chocolate you can find. Failing that a mega bubble bath, a bottle with no glass of vino, music on full pelt and chill. Ley x

I hear you! My husband is getting paid in sterling so we're getting well and truely stung!

We've just ordered a load of clothes from M & S, I'm so looking forward to receiving nice quality affordable clothing! Something I'm still looking for over here.

Guest churchj1

Do you not have a Kmart wherever you are? Our local store has a massive selection of cheap frames....... just a thought????

Guest christi
Do you not have a Kmart wherever you are? Our local store has a massive selection of cheap frames....... just a thought????

yeah, but nothing anywhere near the size I need

Guest christi
I hear you! My husband is getting paid in sterling so we're getting well and truely stung!

We've just ordered a load of clothes from M & S, I'm so looking forward to receiving nice quality affordable clothing! Something I'm still looking for over here.

Ive been ordering from M&S as well, I have had 2 parcels, and my god its so wonderful

I ordered Duvet covers, bubble bath, undies and lots more and it was just heaven

I had forgotton how wonderful the stuff was from there

Really quick delivery , and the Duvet covers are King ones, and they worked out at $31 each. The thread count is heaven and they are just so much better than the ones I have bought here,,,,for a lot more money I might add

Hope you enjoy your parcel:biggrin:

Guest christi
I sometimes buy frames with pics in and dump the pics if that works out cheaper!!

Im gonna keep hunting,,,if not I will just wait till I get home to the UK:biggrin:

Guest christi
Sorry your having a bad time of it at the mo and I fully agree, WHAT A RIP OFF. If you still have the receipt take them back. Why, because you can go to the Auz. alternative of a charity shop, buy an old picture with frame (just keep hunting you will come across the right size) tape, and spray or, sponge them. Chin up, best of british (it really is not all that over here in the UK at the mo!) and go treat yourself to the biggest ice-cream or bar of chocolate you can find. Failing that a mega bubble bath, a bottle with no glass of vino, music on full pelt and chill. Ley x

Sounds good Noodle, gonna wait till I get back to the UK and get frames, me thinks.

Cant wait,,,,need to do some serious shopping at my old favourite haunts:biggrin:

Guest christi
Not sure if Debenhams deliver to Auz. but they have one heck of a sale on at the mo. x

Dont think they do, cos last time I got stuff from Debenhams, my friend sent it out for me.Problem is, I dont think the frames would even survive the journey and I recvkon freight would kill any bargain, I might get:wubclub:

Guest famousfive

Cheer up chicken,you will find a frame that does not need a second mortgage to purchase it.The Op shop is a good suggestion or even buy a cheap white board and use the frame off that,a lick of paint will do wonders.Another idea is to go to a hardware store and they will cut the wood to your measurements then just glue and nail and off you go.

My rip off rant is about the bedding.Costs a fortune,for a bloomin' bed sheet and you are unaware of for most of the time you are using it!!You sleep on it for gods sake.And shoes too,kids school shoes $90 and they only lasted 6 weeks.Will have to send them in barefoot soon.Oh, and not forgetting phone calls and broadband.Better leave it there,could go on for weeks.But it is the lucky country so we should all put up and shut up.[or so they tell me].

Famous Five is having a bad day here at Kirren Cottage too!!!Must be something in the cosmos today.

Guest christi
Cheer up chicken,you will find a frame that does not need a second mortgage to purchase it.The Op shop is a good suggestion or even buy a cheap white board and use the frame off that,a lick of paint will do wonders.Another idea is to go to a hardware store and they will cut the wood to your measurements then just glue and nail and off you go.

My rip off rant is about the bedding.Costs a fortune,for a bloomin' bed sheet and you are unaware of for most of the time you are using it!!You sleep on it for gods sake.And shoes too,kids school shoes $90 and they only lasted 6 weeks.Will have to send them in barefoot soon.Oh, and not forgetting phone calls and broadband.Better leave it there,could go on for weeks.But it is the lucky country so we should all put up and shut up.[or so they tell me].

Famous Five is having a bad day here at Kirren Cottage too!!!Must be something in the cosmos today.

Hi Famous Five

Glad its not just me thats grumpy today...LOL

Good thinking Hun, gonna speak to hubby, hes clever(have to butter him up) he can make them.I will have to tell the hardware shop I only want a couple of bits of wood though,,,,cos they will probaly try and charge me for a full tree!!!!!!!TEEHEE

Ive been ordering bedding from home, M&S, so much cheaper and just great quality, super fast delivery and GBP15.00 no matter how big or heavy your order

Maybe check out kids shoe prices on there as well

Are you heading home???????

Guest guest30038

You can get 20x16 frames for around 20 bucks at the Reject Shop or Crazy Clarks...............I can't buy the glass for that price!

kev

Guest christi
You can get 20x16 frames for around 20 bucks at the Reject Shop or Crazy Clarks...............I can't buy the glass for that price!

kev

Mmmm, Im in Tassie, so we dont have those shops here. Thanks though

Guest famousfive

Christi,yes planning on heading home next year about march/april.I don't really find it a hardship living here until then but I am getting to the point of being,as the kids would say,so over it at this stage.I have been to Aus a number of times as the OH is an aussie and have come to the conclusion that this move was a waste of time,it's not for us.Kids like it but got very upset when we asked if they wanted to stay so thankfully the whole family are happy to move on.

Guest christi
Christi,yes planning on heading home next year about march/april.I don't really find it a hardship living here until then but I am getting to the point of being,as the kids would say,so over it at this stage.I have been to Aus a number of times as the OH is an aussie and have come to the conclusion that this move was a waste of time,it's not for us.Kids like it but got very upset when we asked if they wanted to stay so thankfully the whole family are happy to move on.

Im not sure if I think it was a waste of time or not really.Its been an experience!!!

We were the crazy ones,,,never been to Aus before, just had "rose coloured specs" on.

We had a medium mortgage in the UK, one that we would of never been able to pay off, and com ing here, has meant that when we go home, we can go home and buy a house outright, so I suppose in that respect, we are so much luckier than so many others.

My son hates it, and he is heading home, as soon as poss.Im going to be worried sick, that Im so many miles away from him, but hes a big boy now, and hes gonna be fine

Life here has been nothing like we expected, we just have to see it as a 4/5 year plan, to be more secure financially, and we go home, knowing that the UK, is right for us, and that is where we are meant to be:biggrin:

Guest famousfive

It's great that you will return in a better financial position,we will be starting over with little or nothing really,but we have agreed a lease on a restaurant with a three bed apartment upstairs which will help get us back on our feet.Wages have been woeful here for us so at times things have been tough but we really came for family reasons not financial reasons.The family side of things were the waste of time to be honest as we have been all but shunned since arriving,hard for the kids who left a close family to come here.Oz itself is beautiful and I have enjoyed my time here but the memory will also carry a lot of hurt and dissappoinment now too,This is part of the reason we are staying a wee bit longer,to give the kids good memories of their time here too.

Guest christi
It's great that you will return in a better financial position,we will be starting over with little or nothing really,but we have agreed a lease on a restaurant with a three bed apartment upstairs which will help get us back on our feet.Wages have been woeful here for us so at times things have been tough but we really came for family reasons not financial reasons.The family side of things were the waste of time to be honest as we have been all but shunned since arriving,hard for the kids who left a close family to come here.Oz itself is beautiful and I have enjoyed my time here but the memory will also carry a lot of hurt and dissappoinment now too,This is part of the reason we are staying a wee bit longer,to give the kids good memories of their time here too.

Thats really sad for you, to think the family have been like that towards you

But that sounds great, that you are going back to your own resturant, that will be so exciting.I wish you every sucess with it all

We came to have the aussie life, we read about, but it has turned into what it has.

Maybe we had too high expectations, I dont know. We have worked our socks off here at every part of our stay in Aus, but we dont like it,pure and simple.We just know its not right for us.I was pretty certain, very early on, but we stuck it out,thinking we were homesick etc,etc, but its a lot more than that. We cant wait to be home

Guest famousfive

It is sad, but sure such is life and we may have needed this trip to realise where our future lies.I agree with you in that we just don't like it anymore either,not to live in anyway.Some people just don't get it when you say that but it's true.Many more stunning countries in the world that we wouldn't want to actually live in either,no big deal,and not a criticism just they way it is.

At least we are both in a position to return when we decide to,others are not so fortunate.

I hear you - everything thing is a royal rip off.

Just the other day someone asked me when we were going to buy a house. I told them I could just about bring myself to buy overpriced groceries here as I am forced to let alone a house!! Everything else that is not urgent can wait until we do our annual trip home or if it is a bit more urgent then online it is.

Guest christi
It is sad, but sure such is life and we may have needed this trip to realise where our future lies.I agree with you in that we just don't like it anymore either,not to live in anyway.Some people just don't get it when you say that but it's true.Many more stunning countries in the world that we wouldn't want to actually live in either,no big deal,and not a criticism just they way it is.

At least we are both in a position to return when we decide to,others are not so fortunate.

So very true,we have to be thankful, that we can go home. Some are trapped here .Its so expensive to make the move, to get here and for some it takes everything they have.Some of the stories on this forum, show that is happening so often.But when you come out, you think, you will never return to the UK , so you dont need to worry about getting home if things dont work out.

We are the lucky ones, as we know we are going home,,,,its just when???

I know my future lies in the UK and I never want to leave my home again:biggrin:

Guest christi
I hear you - everything thing is a royal rip off.

Just the other day someone asked me when we were going to buy a house. I told them I could just about bring myself to buy overpriced groceries here as I am forced to let alone a house!! Everything else that is not urgent can wait until we do our annual trip home or if it is a bit more urgent then online it is.

Gosh, dont start me off about grocery prices!!!!!

We thought it was all going to be loads cheaper here,,,,,what a shock that was:mad:

Archived