So sick of being "ripped off"

Guest christi

Guest Guest9973
Who's doing that ?

What country are you in at the moment ??

Just looking at your sig file makes me think you are returning??

Could be wrong:biggrin:

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who's doing that ?

You tell me Chris :wink:

Isn't it everytime someone comments how bad the UK is and how great Australia is, they are only trying to justify their reasons for wanting to stay in Australia. So with that in mind would it not be the same in return? People that rubbish Australia and try and point out why the UK is great! Are they not trying to justify why they can't settle in Australia???? :tongue:

You tell me Chris :wink:

Isn't it everytime someone comments how bad the UK is and how great Australia is, they are only trying to justify their reasons for wanting to stay in Australia. So with that in mind would it not be the same in return? People that rubbish Australia and try and point out why the UK is great! Are they not trying to justify why they can't settle in Australia???? :tongue:

Is stating facts rubbishing a country? I have noted that chris955 wrote that both Oz and UK have good and bad points. Balanced I'd say. :wink:

Guest chris955

Yes, there are many positives about living here, unfortunately for us they don't outweigh the negatives. Of course that is different for others that are going the other way who perhaps find it hard to say too much positive about the UK but that's fine as we are all different.

Is stating facts rubbishing a country? I have noted that chris955 wrote that both Oz and UK have good and bad points. Balanced I'd say. :wink:

Guest chris955

I am in Australia at the moment.

What country are you in at the moment ??

Just looking at your sig file makes me think you are returning??

Could be wrong:biggrin:

Guest famousfive

You really should expect a thread titled 'sick of being ripped off' with an opening post about prices in Aus to be less than complimentary to Australia.If someone is not extolling the virtues of Aus then so be it,the OP clearly stated the subjet matter that was going to be discussed.Whether the UK is better or not is not the point.

Guest guest36187

ANd back to the OP

Im having a moany day (no comments please..LOL)

I have got a couple of poster prints that I wanted to get a frame for, now if I was in the UK, I could go to Wilkinsons or somewhere and just get one for GBP 20.00 or so

No , not here,,,,,$150 each, is the cheapest I can find, my calculations to convert that, means aroundGBP 94.50.

For a plain black frame, Im shocked:mad:

I feel so sorry for those coming here, who like us, were so unaware of how expensive it is here.Not much fun for :arghh:them, with the conversion rate either

I want to go home,,,,NOW

Guest christi
Been reading this thread with interest and there seems to be a lot of negatives on here. How many of you actually came out here before making the big move to check it out? Not many i imagine. It amazes me that people move to the other side of the world after only using the internet and other peoples' opinions to make probably the biggest move of your life. Would you buy a second hand car without going to see it? If you arrive here without even bothering to come and see it for yourselves and then end up miserable then you only have yourselves to blame. I'm sorry for being harsh!

I arrived back from England on Monday and yes it may be cheap but it's still a s*ithole!

Andy

We just could not afford to do a reccie, plus coming here on holiday, is very different to coming to live. Its the same for so many people. Everyones expectations are very different, and while some love it here, its wrong for others for many reasons

Many parts of Aus are awful places and its impossible to come here for a short stay, and find whether its right for you, cos at the end of the day, it may be a hell-hole that you choose to do a reccie of, or on the other hand\, everything you are looking for. You have to live some-where to find out if its right, and see the living side,not just the "holiday"side.

Very difficult situation,,,not everyones finances allow and yes a lot of us do come here, simply because we want to giv e it a go.I dont think anyone can be critisied for that.

ANd back to the OP

Im having a moany day (no comments please..LOL)

I have got a couple of poster prints that I wanted to get a frame for, now if I was in the UK, I could go to Wilkinsons or somewhere and just get one for GBP 20.00 or so

No , not here,,,,,$150 each, is the cheapest I can find, my calculations to convert that, means aroundGBP 94.50.

For a plain black frame, Im shocked:mad:

I feel so sorry for those coming here, who like us, were so unaware of how expensive it is here.Not much fun for :arghh:them, with the conversion rate either

I want to go home,,,,NOW

Sorry I'm going to stand up for Australia and those coming out here! Cost of living is just one aspect of coming here...Australia still has many great aspects! Those coming to Oz do not be disheartened.

I'm also drawn back to the phrase 'rip off Britain'...I think we left soon after its announcement. What happened to this?

Guest christi
How amusing...

Yes we came to Australia on three occasions prior to emigrating. How true...coming on holiday to do a reckie does have some value, but living in a country is not the same as living here. Living and working in Australia are totally separate from being on holiday! You have the life pressures wherever you are.

How do you know how you will feel after being separated from family and all you know unless you give it a go? This section on Poms in Oz goes some way to informing you. Coming to live in Australia is a journey; don't knock them, as it takes guts. If one remains here and doesn't look back, then great, good on you, but if you decide that you've seen enough then at least you've given it a go.

The UK being a '... hole'. Try moving to a place in the UK that you feel more akin to. Change the way you live life...get out of that rut. Many of us have discovered, by coming over to Oz, that the UK has more to offer us; a sense of belonging, family, etc.. This thread is about the cost of living in Australia has gone up. There is no denying that it is more expensive here than it was 5 years ago...this affects quality of life.

Personally I can't wait to get back home and explore what it has to offer; 30 minutes to Europe, seeing family at the weekend and talking in same timezone, skiing, great variety, gardens that grow, keeping warm through good dress sense, Plethora of British accents, Bitter, familiarity, an education system that gives children something to aim for,...before you think it, I am not anti-Australia, I love Australia it have provided me with a wonderful lifestyle, two beautiful boys, strong friendships and most of all perspective, but the journey has come to an end and I am excited by the next phase, back in the UK.

What a great post, you have put into words my sentiments exactly.Coming here has made me realise, what a beautiful place I used to live in in the UK, and as we are so excited at the prospect of returning.

Every country has its undesirable areas, but we know where we are returning to , is a beautiful place, and we cant wait

Thanks for such a great post. :biggrin:

Pleasure christi. Going back home is a big decision, but communicating my thoughts here on this forum is a means of understanding my feelings. A case of reinforcing that gut feeling. Definitely not a case of justifying my eventual return.

My wife is lucky...she just knows it is the right thing to do; she loves it here as much as I do, but just knows a move to the UK is the right move. Where to live is the most exciting decision!

Guest chris955

It was just a headline thought up by the gutter press to whip up hysteria amongst their readers.

I'm also drawn back to the phrase 'rip off Britain'...I think we left soon after it's announcement. What happened to this?

Sorry you feel like that, you have missed out on so much. You must have come from a very bad area.

The way you are speaking you seem to think that i have been dragged up on a rough arsed estate like Huyton (In Liverpool incase you have never left the Cotwolds!) I have lived in a few different countries and many parts of the U.k. I originate from a fairly wealthy/leafy part of Cheshire. It is because i have travelled around a lot i feel i am well informed enough to decide which country i have experienced is a dump and i'm afraid the U.k is one. Sorry if this offends anyone, it's just my personal opinion.

So please don't tell me i HAVE missed out on so much, because in fact, i haven't.

Hi famous five,

i am from england, but moved back to ireland 12yrs ago as my family are irish. When me and my husband first came over, things were reasonably priced, houses, oil heating etc. Yes it is true, you can now get a reasonably priced house either to rent or buy, but to be honest thats because the recession has affected us all very badly here.......people cant give their houses away, and so many people are just uppin sticks and leaving ireland. Businesses are going down the pan almost daily here, the govt is doing nothing to create jobs either. Unemployment is nearly 14%. Theres talk of a property tax being introduced in decembers budget, along with water rates. Car tax is extorsionate......our 10yr old toyota people carrier costs a whopping €935 for the year.Trips to the doctor €50 a visit. Trip to A & E last week after my son had a fall cost €75.......the list goes on!!! The govt has got the country into such a financial mess, that they are screwing families any way they can to reduce their deficit.

Dont get me wrong, we love ireland to bits, but like everyone else on this thread, we too are sick of being ripped off, but in ireland!

I wonder can oz really be much worse than here!

Best of luck with your move back to ireland, but i just hope that you have your eyes firmly wide open before you make the leap.

Thanks Hun, but Im in Northern Tassie, and we just dont have those shops here, we dont have much really...LOL

Hi Christi,

I know you're dead-set on going back to the UK so the following suggestions probably won't help you much so they are really meant for anyone else intending to move here who might read your posts and get an unduly negative impression of where you live.

Even when you live in a remote area you will still have access to a postbox even if it means having to make a trip to your nearest town. If you've got a computer you have access to some of the best bargains around because these days, most of them are found online and not in the bricks-and-mortar stores. :cool: eBay is a good place to look for frames among other things. If you really want to visit a physical shop, I know you'll find that it's only a short trip to Melbourne from where you are. :biggrin:

Guest christi
Hi Christi,

I know you're dead-set on going back to the UK so the following suggestions probably won't help you much so they are really meant for anyone else intending to move here who might read your posts and get an unduly negative impression of where you live.

Even when you live in a remote area you will still have access to a postbox even if it means having to make a trip to your nearest town. If you've got a computer you have access to some of the best bargains around because these days, most of them are found online and not in the bricks-and-mortar stores. :cool: eBay is a good place to look for frames among other things. If you really want to visit a physical shop, I know you'll find that it's only a short trip to Melbourne from where you are. :biggrin:

Hi Happy Lass

thanks for the advice, but as said in my previous post, I have already looked online and the shipping on the items I have found, is unreal, very, very expensive.

E-bay hasent even got the products I am looking for,either, I have already tried that.

I really dont think the answer is a plane ride to Melbourne, you make it sound as if its a 10 minute journey away. Some cheap flights I know, but the majority are going to cost $79+ each way ,plus baggage and taxes, so to suggest I do that for a physical shop, it really would make the price of goods a complete "rip-off"

Im not having a pop at Tas, we are all talking "rip-off" prices in the whole of Australia, on this forum. Albeit Tas is more expensive than the mainland, anyone coming here, would have to consider that, but if they love the place, as you obviously do, then Im sure that is not going to worry them

Guest siamsusie

Hi Christi,

My husband filled our car up this morning from Woolies, Invermay 1.24 per litre. United Exeter 1.28 per lite (15 miles from Lonnie)

Closer to home in Beaconsfield I pay $1.33 at a small family business, but they check your tyres, wash your windows, check your oil etc, and I do try and frequent the smaller business whereever possible, but I also use the major concerns.

https://www.colesonline.com.au/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchResultsView?langId=-1&storeId=18552&catalogId=17552&beginIndex=0&searchTermScope=4&searchTerm=bread

Coles wholesmart bread 1.79 and it does get cheaper... You can pay as little or as much as you want at the two major supermarkets. We buy Lawsons yes $4 a loaf, whilst I am at home I try and bake enough for the freezer $4 is expensive I agree.

The Mission / Vinnies shops stock loads of poster frames and it has been said before get rid of the offending picture.

Wherever I have lived in the world it is horses for courses, and to be honest I personally love grabbing a bargain or re vamping... I do realise you want to go home and for this you have my respect, Tasmania isnt for everyone... I did note however you say you have properties here which is wonderful so it cant have been all bad, and I sincerely hope it wont be long before you can up sticks and get back to somewhere which brings you and the family happiness.

Best wishes Susie x

Archived