Unemployment

Guest LongwayDown

Guest LongwayDown

Can anyone tell me why many people seem to think the UK is in doom and gloom at the moment and there are no jobs around etc and that conversely Australias economy is booming?

Ive read this week that the UK unemployment rate is 2.5 million around 4% ish. On the other hand Australia has an unemployment rate of 5%. If it wasnt for this mining boom keeping tradesmen busy it would be even higher.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

The UK rate is actually a couple of % higher than here but it is widely accepted that it is unemployment blackspots that have pushed the overall rate up. In many areas the rate is down to 2 or 3%.

Without looking too hard into each post you tend (naturally) to hear the doom and gloom from those in the process of moving or waiting for visa's and those who have settled 100% here. I have read many posts from members who have recently been on holiday to the UK report just the opposite so draw your own conclusions.

Guest peacock

It was on the BBC last nite about thousands of job in Jeapardy, which is a small town in North Wales, I think

• 1 month later...

I would also take into account what is termed unemployed in the UK, we may have a certain amount claiming unemployment benefit but as far as i know that does not include other things like disability benefit (aka in a lot of case's as swinging the lead benefit)

we have the great pleasure of having the poeple in charge of these figure's sugar coating them and doing there best to move poeple into catagory's they can separate from unemployed.

I would like to know a figure for how many poeple are not in work for whatever reason just to then see the percentage.

I bet it would be shocking.

Im not sure how this work's in Australia so i cant comment on it but on the whole i would hope it is more honest and they come to true figure's but i may be wrong (and often am)

Just my take on it.

Thanks

Kev

The unemployment rate is always skewed. Here in Aus you actually have to register as unemployed and a lot of married women who get put out of work do not register. Others with money do not register and a lot are underemployed.

In the UK I think that unemployment will grow as the government tightens the purse strings, especially in the public sector. I know my niece's job relies on funds and it looks like they may pull the plug on those.

We have been in the UK for three months this year and we thought that it was ok but its not going to be ok in the future due to the balance of payment figures.

Some people will always have jobs, highly skilled and doing work in areas that always need staff. However others will suffer. Fortunately for our family we have never been out of work in downturns always had jobs but its not the same for everyone.

Sometimes being unemployed is more lucrative than working for people with children.

It would be nice to think there is a job for everyone but unless we go back to digging holes in the road and filling them this is not the case.

to be honest those returning will still return no matter what the papers say, and those looking to move to oz will do the same, only comment I have to say is that the papers in the uk love to shoot down the uk, and anyone successful especially if the media put them up on the pedestal in the first place. If people are returning for family reasons, the job situ wont make you change your mind much.

which ever direction you intend to go, theres not much point in reading the news for any truths, as the saying goes 'the press never let the truth get in the way of a good story'

Can anyone tell me why many people seem to think the UK is in doom and gloom at the moment and there are no jobs around etc and that conversely Australias economy is booming?

Because on the whole it is the truth.

Australia's economy is booming for the time being - they can't scrape the coal off the ground quick enough.

Next month the UK government's spending review will probably mean another 0.5 million on the dole queue over the next 2-3 years.

Whether you are affected by it all depends on whether you loose, or have lost, your job or not.

most countries are boom or bust, we all cut our cloth accordingly,

the uk had it good for years and now pay the price, australia rely heavily on the minerals or wa does, there will be a bust and people hopefully will be prepared for it there. its how it goes

Guest LongwayDown
Because on the whole it is the truth.

Australia's economy is booming for the time being - they can't scrape the coal off the ground quick enough.

Next month the UK government's spending review will probably mean another 0.5 million on the dole queue over the next 2-3 years.

Whether you are affected by it all depends on whether you loose, or have lost, your job or not.

What a load of rubbish. I think you mean tradesmen in WA and other mining areas are busy. $120k for 84 hours a week risking your life is hardly being well paid is it? Sure the money looks good but your working twice the amount of hours with no penalty rates. Add to that i know of many people in other cities who are non mining connected who havent had a pay review let alone rise for over 3 years. My mate was made redundant the other week when they shut his mine down.

I think youve done what every other naive person in this country has, believed the papers. All ive heard for the last 10 years is Australia has chronic skills shortage in every newspaper. Try telling that to your boss when you want a pay rise.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Things are desperate in alot of places here in the uk, its not doom and gloom its reality. Not only is there alot of people out of work, the type of jobs being lost are good well paid jobs and they are being replaced by low paid, mostly part time jobs, plus our working conditions and pensions are being eroded. Why you see this as doom and gloom i don't know, most on here are looking at emigrating to Australia and alot are thinking about going because of the financial state of the country. As for saying people shouldn't believe whats in the papers, only fools believe whats in the papers, but we aren't fools and we know things aren't good here in the uk at present and hopefully things will pick up, but currently it looks better in Australia for jobs, no doubt some will disagree, but us living in the uk won't believe them. The uk is still one of the best countries in the world to live in, its just struggling at the moment. Just where are you by the way?

true ropey, but no need to run away from something until you know what you are running to. those moving there including my self have the pain of a low exchange rate, loss of house value and high cost of living to take on board, the money was never in my hand but it still hurtd when we get burned all ways. I lived there before and know roughly what to expect, some will find the escape to oz a little bit of a shock at first. I look at it that if australia had high unemployment and exchange rate back to 2.4 then we probably have other worries about moving to oz.

then again, who said moving abroad and moving back would ever be easy. just have to enjoy the ride best we can

Guest The Ropey HOFF
true ropey, but no need to run away from something until you know what you are running to. those moving there including my self have the pain of a low exchange rate, loss of house value and high cost of living to take on board, the money was never in my hand but it still hurtd when we get burned all ways. I lived there before and know roughly what to expect, some will find the escape to oz a little bit of a shock at first. I look at it that if australia had high unemployment and exchange rate back to 2.4 then we probably have other worries about moving to oz.

then again, who said moving abroad and moving back would ever be easy. just have to enjoy the ride best we can

Hi legoman

you are right. we are down about $160,000 from when we applied for the visa and it is a huge kick in the teeth, the reason for this is because the uk has been in a long recession and we are now making huge cut backs because the last useless Labour government and the shameless banks almost bankrupted us, plus............bloody Australia never went into recessiong the rat barstewards. The upshot is that wherever you go in the world it is dear there, but if your visiting the uk everything is dirt cheap........... doesn't help us though. My advice is....don't go to Australia unless you have a job to go to, it isn't as easy to get work as it looks...still better than here though. Hopefully things will pick up in a couple of years and at least the Tories, who i detest are cutting back on immigration, putting brits first for jobs..............at last.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
my visa expires 2012 so am considering waiting, i think though the uk will heading right direction by then but long way from recovering eh

Your making the right choice mate, ours runs out Nov 2014, things must pick up eventually, theres lots of good things in the uk which is still one of the best countries in the world to live in and if you have to stay here its better than being stuck in Iraq.lol

I used to work for an Employment Law Advice Line for the Civil Service in the UK and I spent 8 hours a day answering calls from people either made redundant or companies making people redundant and our calls for those to work related problems went up 65% in 12 months so its not imagination things were really bad. Thats why we got extra funding to be able to extend our services.

Another thing to think about is the Government has all sorts of training initatives that they put the unemployed on the statistics are actually far far worse. Apprentices being put on £85 per week, less than the minimum wage and ridicilous training, they are classed as employed, no employment I would want for my kids.

I am now a stay at home Mum for the time being in Australia and yes I dont appear on the unemployed register, but then I shouldnt, Im not claiming any benefits so therefore I am not unemployed merely supported by my OH.

What a load of rubbish. I think you mean tradesmen in WA and other mining areas are busy. $120k for 84 hours a week risking your life is hardly being well paid is it? Sure the money looks good but your working twice the amount of hours with no penalty rates. Add to that i know of many people in other cities who are non mining connected who havent had a pay review let alone rise for over 3 years. My mate was made redundant the other week when they shut his mine down.

I think youve done what every other naive person in this country has, believed the papers. All ive heard for the last 10 years is Australia has chronic skills shortage in every newspaper. Try telling that to your boss when you want a pay rise.

Yeah,you'd be rite then,its all a lie,theres LOADS of work in the UK,thats why the prices for bricklaying have more than halved over the last two years!

£15 a metre on 100 mm block we were getting 3 yrs ago,one firm is offering £5.50 now ffs

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Yeah,you'd be rite then,its all a lie,theres LOADS of work in the UK,thats why the prices for bricklaying have more than halved over the last two years!

£15 a metre on 100 mm block we were getting 3 yrs ago,one firm is offering £5.50 now ffs

Hi pablo

your post and que sersa sera's post are just the tip of the ice berg of cut backs, down sizing, trimming of working contracts and terms and conditions, pensions, farming out contracts abroad and paying really low wages as per apprenticeships. My mates lad was paid peanuts on his apprenticeship, about £2.50 per hour and it was to become a mechanic at a Nissan garage, which closed down. There is so much that is happening as in firms taking this opportunity to save money by reducing workers pay and conditions, which is effecting millions of people here in the uk and as i have said before, jobs going in nursing, the government, civil service, the police, teachers and council workers proper good well paid jobs and being replaced with low paid part time jobs is eroding the overall standards of peoples pay, not everyone, some arn't effected, but the majority are and this isn't reflected in the unemployment statistics, but we who live here know the truth and at present things arn't great.

Nah,me and you are living in the twilight zone jimbo,everythings ticketyboo:jiggy:,we make up all these stories just for the craic apparantly:rolleyes:.

Re OZ unemployment i havnt got a clue,good or bad,i just find it strange people not believing that things ARE bad! Jesus wept! i wish they werent,but i'l say it again....i have NEVER known the job situation so bad,at least in the north west anyway,elsewhere??

Nah,me and you are living in the twilight zone jimbo,everythings ticketyboo:jiggy:,we make up all these stories just for the craic apparantly:rolleyes:.

Re OZ unemployment i havnt got a clue,good or bad,i just find it strange people not believing that things ARE bad! Jesus wept! i wish they werent,but i'l say it again....i have NEVER known the job situation so bad,at least in the north west anyway,elsewhere??

Things are shi7 down here as well, i have never been so quiet, the lack of enquiries is scarey as i have never seen it like this. I have not had a phone call with regards to new work for weeks. I am lucky as i am still working with what i had lined up for months but that will run out by the end of the year.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Things are shi7 down here as well, i have never been so quiet, the lack of enquiries is scarey as i have never seen it like this. I have not had a phone call with regards to new work for weeks. I am lucky as i am still working with what i had lined up for months but that will run out by the end of the year.

Just announced on Sky that 500 Royal Bank of Scotland jobs have been lost and this is on top of thousands of banking jobs lost over the last year, can our Australia friends tell us if thousands of bank jobs have been axed there, let us know if its the same or worse, or ......................... god forbid better.

I had a day today mate,on a footing a joiner put in with a lawnmower i think,300 mm trenchblock,the footing was 500mm at its widest,couldnt even stand in it,no room,and the shape of a snake:yes:,we had to build it standing on what we'd just set,so had to gain a cse of brick so there was hardly any bed to sink when we stood on it to build the ba7tard.

Went to another footing last week,hse it was,us to set out,180 trenchblock,180 concrete block,and a thousand brick,price before tax?£600,spewed it after 2 hours,no way of making money.

The day i had today is probably my last for at least a cpl of weeks mate

Its the same with me mate, hopefuly got enough till xmas then after that god knows, its always quieter jan and feb anyway.

Phone hardly rings these days, all the fcukers working for cash and claiming ain't helping and 20% vat will make that worse.

Its the same with me mate, hopefuly got enough till xmas then after that god knows, its always quieter jan and feb anyway.

Phone hardly rings these days, all the fcukers working for cash ain't helping and 20% vat will make that worse.

Lmao,i wish you and andy would stop making me jealous talking about having work till crimbo!:mad::biglaugh: i reckon the last of me coppers are gonna be gone getting over crimbo,ive been getting maybe 2 days a week on average,on domestics,porches,extensions etc

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Phone hardly rings these days, all the fcukers working for cash and claiming ain't helping and 20% vat will make that worse.

For christ sakes will you lot stop it, some gadger in Oz i think, isn't happy about the doom and gloom merchants and even though you lot live here, it doesn't mean you have a right to moan about it, or that you know what your talking about, so bloody lighten up.

:biggrin:

Archived