Unemployment

Guest LongwayDown

Guest guest30038
can we not turn this in to an oz v uk drama again. back to op eh :confused:

From the OP: "Can anyone tell me why many people seem to think the UK is in doom and gloom at the moment and there are no jobs around etc and that conversely Australias economy is booming?

Ive read this week that the UK unemployment rate is 2.5 million around 4% ish. On the other hand Australia has an unemployment rate of 5%. If it wasnt for this mining boom keeping tradesmen busy it would be even higher."

Now just how can you not see this thread as becoming an oz v uk drama? To answer the OP's question, one has to compare :rolleyes:

kev

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest siamsusie
What a load of rubbish. I think you mean tradesmen in WA and other mining areas are busy. $120k for 84 hours a week risking your life is hardly being well paid is it? Sure the money looks good but your working twice the amount of hours with no penalty rates. Add to that i know of many people in other cities who are non mining connected who havent had a pay review let alone rise for over 3 years. My mate was made redundant the other week when they shut his mine down.

I think youve done what every other naive person in this country has, believed the papers. All ive heard for the last 10 years is Australia has chronic skills shortage in every newspaper. Try telling that to your boss when you want a pay rise.

Having spent 25 yrs in the Pilbara my OH has stated that $120k for 84 hrs pw. is a pittance. What shift pattern are you looking at there? Whats awards are given?

Guest LongwayDown

Siam Susie im not sure what shift your husband does so i wont argue. I know a friend of mine(sparkie) did 2:1 FIFO at a flat rate, no penalties in Adelaide. He claims he could have made more money had he stayed in Sydney and would never do it again. Your husband may be well paid and so he should be because you never know when its his last shift.

But anyone can check out these jobs.

SEEK Job Search - Find jobs using multiple job search options

However my point is this. How many people in places like Port Headland etc have suffered from the mining boom. Local companies like BHP have purchased property as have workers in the mine itself.

Thus creating a two speed economy. Those that are lucky enough to be in on it drive property prices up and those that are not cant afford the rent or buy a house in their area. Ive heard of numerous stories of people migrating to perth city just because theyve been driven out of their home town.

A classic example is an auto electrician who can make around $150k a year in WA but only $60k in Sydney but still has the same interest repayments on his mortgage.

So what happens the banks use that as an excuse to push up interest rates even further and my mortgage is at 7% a lot higher than those that are fleeing the UK are paying. Aussie dollar rises to a false value and is worth 60pence and people think that tradesmen on $35 an hour are on #21 an hour and everything is bliss. When i first came here 10 years ago the Aussie dollar was worth 33 pence and everyone thought the wages were rubbish.

Dont forget anyone heading here for a quick buck your going to get a lousy exchange rate and if the Aussie dollar returns to 40pence you could lose an awful lot if you decide to return home after a few years. Also with the average mortgage around $300k in Sydney and Melbourne your mortgage repayments will be $21000 a year or #240 a week.

I hope the Australian economy goes through the roof, why wouldnt i? It certainly benefits me, but i can tell you wages in Sydney have crawled along in this last 4 years.

Guest siamsusie
Siam Susie im not sure what shift your husband does so i wont argue. I know a friend of mine(sparkie) did 2:1 FIFO at a flat rate, no penalties in Adelaide. He claims he could have made more money had he stayed in Sydney and would never do it again. Your husband may be well paid and so he should be because you never know when its his last shift.

But anyone can check out these jobs.

However my point is this. How many people in places like Port Headland etc have suffered from the mining boom. Local companies like BHP have purchased property as have workers in the mine itself.

his last 4 years.

My Oh has worked for Rio for 25 years, as a Sparkie /Sig Tech as a resident in Karratha, on 4 on 2 days/2 nights 4 off which equates to approx 42 hr a week over a year which equates to well over the $145,000 + super, + long service, + 6 weeks hols plus all utilities paid, and the right to purchase your own property which he did do, + base salary of 30% for Karratha living up north allowance.. places like Tom price was approx 35% .

His collegues on FIFO are on 8 days on 6 days off = approx 42 hrs a week = $145-$150 pa.

Port Hedland BHP are virtually the same. Contractors differ, and you could well come out @ $180 and yes I agree that is a killer! BUT.....

84 Hrs a week is considered totally illegal within the mining industry apparently and you would be continually working 52 weeks a year x 12 hrs a day.

Interesting contract your friend is on....

No argument but it just made interesting reading to someone who has been in the business for many years (OH)

cheers Susie x

NB A slight exaggeration "last shift"... good healthy lifestyle , no management to plague you, working out in the bush, good food, good shift pattern, excellent fishing.. sweet as lol.

Guest siamsusie

I will also add, that my OH's collegues who were sponsored by Rio came from London Underground/ the old British Rail and are based in Perth havent looked back since their arrival.. One guy in particular has just completed building his 3rd home in Perth, so it cant all be bad in the mining fraternity!

Guest wecantski
I will also add, that my OH's collegues who were sponsored by Rio came from London Underground/ the old British Rail and are based in Perth havent looked back since their arrival.. One guy in particular has just completed building his 3rd home in Perth, so it cant all be bad in the mining fraternity!

not everyone uses the number of homes they have built in the desert as a measurement of success sweetheart

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Now just how can you not see this thread as becoming an oz v uk drama? To answer the OP's question, one has to compare :rolleyes:

2,600 UK jobs set to go at RBS

by Kay Murchie

money-6.jpg

Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS), which is 84% owned by the taxpayer, has today announced it is reducing headcount by a further 2,600 as it continues with its cost-cutting programme.

The bank has already announced more than 20,000 job cuts across its business since it was bailed out at the height of the financial crisis.

The latest job cuts are based in the UK with 2,000 jobs set to go at its insurance arm division, which includes the Direct Line, Green Flag, Churchill and Privilege businesses.

A further 600 positions will be axed at the head office of its retail banking arm, based at locations including Edinburgh and London.

Commenting on the headcount reduction, RBS said: “We are working hard to rebuild RBS in order to repay taxpayers for their support and having to cut jobs is the most difficult part of this process.

“We have strived at all times to be open and honest about the tough choices we are making,” it added.

Are you sure you want a - uk versus Oz debate?

This is from just one bank....................... not to mention hundreds of thousands of PROPER jobs lost also in the government, building trades, civil service, police, justice, NHS, Teachers, councils and many, many more. Is it like this in Australia, please tell us.

The uk is struggling at present = FACT. Still one of the best countries in the world to live in though.

UK versus Australia threads are pointless, if you can't decide about emigrating without this information then you are going to have problems.

Guest siamsusie
not everyone uses the number of homes they have built in the desert as a measurement of success sweetheart

Firstly Mrs Susie to you please:daydreaming: and if you care to look at my post the houses were built in Perth not the desert. I gave an example of what is very possible to achieve .

Thank you for your input:biggrin:

Firstly Mrs Susie to you please:daydreaming: and if you care to look at my post the houses were built in Perth not the desert. I gave an example of what is very possible to achieve .

Thank you for your input:biggrin:

What input?:cute:

Guest guest37336
I actually wanted to type "Oh pfffffffffft", its only 5am, but me politeness gene kicked in Andy:huh:

Morning SSS.

(Sweetheart Siam Susie,:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:)

Never a more condescending word to address a lady as Sweetheart, (when used in the context it was):mad:

Wheres the Durian Susie?:wink:

Cheers Tony:wink:

Guest siamsusie
Morning SSS.

(Sweetheart Siam Susie,)

Never a more condescending word to address a lady as Sweetheart.

Wheres the Durian Susie?:wink:

Cheers Tony

:elvis::elvis:I couldnt believe my eyes Tony! :realmad: ... very condesending I thought! got to be a troll! Defo no Vaseline and rubber gloves for this insertion:jiggy:

Whilst searching for the fruit in question I noticed that...

Jakarta: Durian-flavoured condoms have gone on sale for the first time in pharmacies and on street stalls in Jakarta as part of the fight against HIV/AIDS.:elvis:

Guest guest37336
:elvis::elvis:I couldnt believe my eyes Tony! :realmad: ... very condesending I thought! got to be a troll! Defo no Vaseline and rubber gloves for this insertion:jiggy:

Whilst searching for the fruit in question I noticed that...

Jakarta: Durian-flavoured condoms have gone on sale for the first time in pharmacies and on street stalls in Jakarta as part of the fight against HIV/AIDS.:elvis:

Morning Susie.

I would imagine it not only stops the HIV/AIDS problem but ANY sexual contact once one of these things is unwrapped.

Cheers Tony:wink:

OK - I will pose the anti-thesis of what I said:

Australia's economy is NOT booming for the time being.

Next month the UK government's spending review will probably NOT mean another 0.5 million on the dole queue over the next 2-3 years.

Whether you are affected by it all DOES NOT depend on whether you loose, or have lost, your job or not.

Get a grip!

May be I should add to the list that they are NOT about to start up the money printers again in the UK...:no:

Guest LongwayDown
My Oh has worked for Rio for 25 years, as a Sparkie /Sig Tech as a resident in Karratha, on 4 on 2 days/2 nights 4 off which equates to approx 42 hr a week over a year which equates to well over the $145,000 + super, + long service, + 6 weeks hols plus all utilities paid, and the right to purchase your own property which he did do, + base salary of 30% for Karratha living up north allowance.. places like Tom price was approx 35% .

His collegues on FIFO are on 8 days on 6 days off = approx 42 hrs a week = $145-$150 pa.

Port Hedland BHP are virtually the same. Contractors differ, and you could well come out @ $180 and yes I agree that is a killer! BUT.....

84 Hrs a week is considered totally illegal within the mining industry apparently and you would be continually working 52 weeks a year x 12 hrs a day.

Interesting contract your friend is on....

No argument but it just made interesting reading to someone who has been in the business for many years (OH)

cheers Susie x

NB A slight exaggeration "last shift"... good healthy lifestyle , no management to plague you, working out in the bush, good food, good shift pattern, excellent fishing.. sweet as lol.

Slight exageration last shift?? Your obviously not following the Chilean miners who are trapped as we speak.

Anyhow isnt that my point, your doing well but not everyone in Australia works in the mines do they? I dont think anyone drilling for oil in the North Sea and living in Aberdeen is by any means worried about the UK recession.

Add to that several people wanting to come here are in the bricklaying industry.

Is there a job for them in the mines? I dont think so.

The last two companies i have worked for have closed their long established construction departments down within the last couple of years and have yet to reopen.

I think its only fair that these people are made aware of what they are getting into before they leave the frying pan. I cant comment on whats going on in the UK because im not working there, but it doesnt sound good, but your not going to make a killing out here either at the moment.

Guest siamsusie
Slight exageration last shift?? Your obviously not following the Chilean miners who are trapped as we speak. Anyhow isnt that my point, your doing well but not everyone in Australia works in the mines do they? I dont think anyone drilling for oil in the North Sea and living in Aberdeen is by any means worried about the UK recession.

Add to that several people wanting to come here are in the bricklaying industry.

Is there a job for them in the mines? I dont think so.

The last two companies i have worked for have closed their long established construction departments down within the last couple of years and have yet to reopen.

I think its only fair that these people are made aware of what they are getting into before they leave the frying pan. I cant comment on whats going on in the UK because im not working there, but it doesnt sound good, but your not going to make a killing out here either at the moment.

Longway Down, firstly I dont think you are aware of the geography... The Pilbara firstly does NOT have underground mines..he is hardly likely to be trapped other than between trains which are approx, 2.5 kms long:laugh:.. unlike Beaconsfield Mine Tasmania (Gold)... we are talking Iron Ore in Port Hedland & Karratha.... Signals:huh:= Trains=Iron Ore Mining above ground....I havent noticed per se my husband enjoying a "cuff linked" life style... despite the fact that at present he is seconded to KL (Asia) training.... Any gain my husband may have made was totally on his own back, prior to my marriage, and monies from my own properties in Europe, brought into Australia was an added bonus!

What does give me immense pleasure is watching "tradies" making an honest living and reaping their just rewards.

Long may it continue.. Have a great day:wubclub:

Edited to add, the Chilean Miners is a whole other cup of tea, and having a home 3 kms from Beaconsfield Gold Mine we are only too aware of the dangers that exist, which was proven a few years back!

With regard to the building industry i.e. brickies etc.... there is insurmountable amount of work up in Karratha on the construction sites! FIFO camps new build (new release of land etc)

Guest guest37336

Susie you must remember that your husband is but a mere male, would you please stop 'FORCING' him down the mines, the poor man must of had his fill of working down there to keep you in the style you have become accustomed to, you greedy, greedy woman.:mad:

Now come on, get with the programme, you cannot keep those old blinkers on and pretend that we all live the life you do, after all I dare say your poor husband and yourself had everything fall into your lap.:biglaugh:

Cheers, (A rather peeved Lemming).:wink:

Guest siamsusie
Susie you must remember that your husband is but a mere male, would you please stop 'FORCING' him down the mines, the poor man must of had his fill of working down there to keep you in the style you have become accustomed to, you greedy, greedy woman.:mad:

Now come on, get with the programme, you cannot keep those old blinkers on and pretend that we all live the life you do, after all I dare say your poor husband and yourself had everything fall into your lap.:biglaugh:

Cheers, (A rather peeved Lemming).:wink:

Lemmings,:notworthy: good evening.....

Been sitting here with an extravagant G & T relating this very convo with the OH:huh:.... I guess having lived in a part of Europe whereby it was considered the norm for a certain catagory of people who had a house in say Belgravia the 4 x 4 with clean wellies, nor forgetting the house in the country or a Gite in South of France, I personally found it refreshing, entering into a whole other world of the "working class man" who has his home in Port Hedland/Karratha, his other home down in Perth/Geraldton/ Broome... his boat worth $20-$30K, his kids going to private school.....:huh: all on 42 hrs a week!

I am seriously now considering opening a discreet little business giving "high durionic washouts" Lemmings and hopefully the dollars will continue to flow!:laugh: you know what they they say..." where there is sh7t (muck) there is money mate!

Guest guest37336
Lemmings,:notworthy: good evening.....

Been sitting here with an extravagant G & T relating this very convo with the OH:huh:.... I guess having lived in a part of Europe whereby it was considered the norm for a certain catagory of people who had a house in say Belgravia the 4 x 4 with clean wellies, nor forgetting the house in the country or a Gite in South of France, I personally found it refreshing, entering into a whole other world of the "working class man" who has his home in Port Hedland/Karratha, his other home down in Perth/Geraldton/ Broome... his boat worth $20-$30K, his kids going to private school.....:huh: all on 42 hrs a week!

I am seriously now considering opening a discreet little business giving "high durionic washouts" Lemmings and hopefully the dollars will continue to flow!:laugh: you know what they they say..." where there is sh7t (muck) there is money mate!

If this is true Susie then a certain poster on this thread should be a millionaire.:biglaugh:

Cheers Lemming.:wubclub:

Guest siamsusie
[/size][/color][/b]

If this is true Susie then a certain poster on this thread should be a millionaire.:biglaugh:

Cheers Lemming.:wubclub:

He is a :mad: mere Tradie that Pooman.. a sparkie no less.... have you noticed him strapped for cash! must be loads of mines down his way Lemmings, that Lesley has a lot to answer for! "le Mole":wideeyed:

Archived