Unemployment

Guest LongwayDown

Well Siamsusie that was you told wasnt it. Everyday I myself whack my OH over the head until he leaves the house for work and then make him do 12 hour shift so that I can get my Jimmy Choo's and my nails done, ah well if he dies of a hear attack from all the hard work I force him to do I suppose I will just have to live with just the Jimmmy Choo's for company :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biggrin:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest LongwayDown

Dont know the geography and i dont care. Just know you keep avoiding the point.

Bored with the "Living in Paradise" i want to talk about me and my husband all the time.

As if anyone is interested.

However as you clearly dont know, many jobs are specified for "Underground Electricians"

ie people who work on AB plcs and wire up ventilation panel motor starters, maintain heavy plant and equipment.

Obviously there are no underground mines in Australia and no dangerous jobs its all just make believe. But lets not go off the initial subject and start talking about you and your husband again.

My original arguement was that if your not working in the mines your not on big wages are you, and there are 2 ecomomies running in Australia at the moment. Why you and others cant admitt this i just dont understand. Or are you just a recruitment agency??

Please dont answer this with me and my hubby are in the Pilbara and we are doing this.....etc

as im not interested. If you cant face reality then dont answer the question.

PR spouse visa granted....Living in Paradise.....*100000

Theres plenty of people on here who have posted about struggling for work in oz,"moreso" around brisbane way i reckon,and the GC/SC,i think we are all aware its not utopia.

Its a risk most seem to want to still take(us included),i know and have worked for nearly all the subbies and a lot of companies in the north west,yet ive managed 6 months work out of the last 18,its NEVER been so bad that i can remember anyway,oz cant be worse for employment prospects i dont think,plus i think its going to get worse here with all the cuts.

Why dont you just stick to the subject instead of attacking SS for no reason?

Guest siamsusie
Well Siamsusie that was you told wasnt it. Everyday I myself whack my OH over the head until he leaves the house for work and then make him do 12 hour shift so that I can get my Jimmy Choo's and my nails done, ah well if he dies of a hear attack from all the hard work I force him to do I suppose I will just have to live with just the Jimmmy Choo's for company

:laugh::laugh: Que Sera Sera..... we are entirely evil.... but pray where are Jimmy Choos in Perth? I must have missed it! I sincerely hope you are up with the cuckoo burrows

Making your Oh 's smokos, leaving him little love notes:happy_face_mummy_go "darling please try to work harder"..... I am sure living in WA you are a real glamour queen, shoes, nails and clearskins wines... you are another person I must meet in real life at a WA meet so we can compare notes and salary slips:hug:

Guest guest37336

Bored with the "Living in Paradise" i want to talk about me and my husband all the time.

However as you clearly dont know, many jobs are specified for "Underground Electricians"

ie people who work on AB plcs and wire up ventilation panel motor starters, maintain heavy plant and equipment.

Obviously there are no underground mines in Australia and no dangerous jobs its all just make believe. But lets not go off the initial subject and start talking about you and your husband again.

My original arguement was that if your not working in the mines your not on big wages are you, and there are 2 ecomomies running in Australia at the moment. Why you and others cant admitt this i just dont understand. Or are you just a recruitment agency??

Please dont answer this with me and my hubby are in the Pilbara and we are doing this.....etc

Well Hello.

I am not about to defend Susie, she is far very capable of doing this her self, (Oh bugger it, I bloody well will).

Have you any idea how Susie has helped many on PIO with her UNBIASED AND OBJECTIVE opinion. She is indeed a star on here. No I am not saying this out of some misplaced allegiance to Susie, just stating the fact that the LADY in question has helped enormously on this forum.

If you would take a minute to read some of her other posts you will see she has no axe to grind, is no class warrior and it would do you well to remember that Susie is indeed a genuine and thoughtful lady.

Even when YOU take the thread and turn it around into personal insult she has held her tongue, even though your comments about her and her family were and are beneath contempt.

I for one am very glad she is on PIO, without her and many others I would be at a loss. You will never know the offers of support she has shown to many people, both on the open forum and through PM.

She is one of the most unbiased people I have ever come across. She not only deserves a little more respect but an apology should be in order, no I haven't stopped ranting yet.

Susie is indeed a member of this forum that has made this place into what it is today. Before you start having a pop at her and her family I suggest you realise that we are all allowed an opinion and a little more thought and may I say intellect, would go a long way.

As I said, Susie does not need me to defend her, I got on the wrong side of her once, and I am just recovering,:biglaugh::wubclub:. I have a feeling that she is far too polite and thoughtful to say what she really wants, but I for one would love to see this.:biglaugh:

Tony.:mad:

Guest LongwayDown

Ill gladly stick to the subject, if you do.

If you recall my first post, why is it that people are claiming theres such a contrast between the countries when the % unemployment rate is similar?? Its not my fault your out of work is it.

But your plight is not totally representative of all the UK is it? Mine is not totally representive of Australia and neither is SS. Id sooner look at the statistics rather than personal opinions.

Ps You werent complaining when things were booming in the UK housing market were you??

Did you save for a rainy day or did you think the bubble would never burst?

Ill gladly stick to the subject, if you do.

If you recall my first post, why is it that people are claiming theres such a contrast between the countries when the % unemployment rate is similar?? Its not my fault your out of work is it.

But your plight is not totally representative of all the UK is it? Mine is not totally representive of Australia and neither is SS. Id sooner look at the statistics rather than personal opinions.

Ps You werent complaining when things were booming in the UK housing market were you??

Did you save for a rainy day or did you think the bubble would never burst?

Im not complaining,its just the way it is,im not alone,loads of my mates are in the same boat,re the booming housing market,i have never gone housebashing anyway,it might have had a knock on effect in that there was a boom in housing that freed up more jobs on the comercial side,but ive never touched houses.

My plight isnt representative of the whole of the UK?probably not 100% no,its normally worse up here than down south,but jobs are advertised for £9 an hour in london now,so just for that reason alone i would guess its tight down there as well.

Wether i saved or not is none of your business,but i havnt asked the gvnmt for anything,put it that way,IF i had of saved then a yr out of work and having to validate my visa would soon have chewed that up anyway.

Did i say it was your fault im out of work btw? missed that bit

Guest siamsusie

A forum IMO is where we share experiences Longwaydown, and I apologise if this bores you... One final point is that my OH trained as a sparkie "Underground" Mount Lyall Queenstown Tasmania... 5 yrs appenticeship + 18 months after Vietnam Nasho. OH did however mention that some of the most profitable jobs were when he worked on construction sites within cities and towns, cost of living was cheaper! No I am not a recruitment agency!.... :huh:.

Susie

Can anyone tell me why many people seem to think the UK is in doom and gloom at the moment and there are no jobs around etc and that conversely Australias economy is booming?

Ive read this week that the UK unemployment rate is 2.5 million around 4% ish. On the other hand Australia has an unemployment rate of 5%. If it wasnt for this mining boom keeping tradesmen busy it would be even higher.

Unemployment statistics are not the real picture how many long term unemployed are transferred to disability because they will never be able to hold down a job? Do you know the answer.

We have just spent nearly three months in UK and discussed things at length with our family who are all ok thank goodness but that does not mean everyone is.

It does not matter where you live if you are unemployed its the same thing, no job. Obviously you are a fortunate person and you have a job, however feel a little compassion for others.

You have been very rude to a member of our forum who tried to assist people moving here. The mines have always been a source of high income and will continue to be due to the isolation that goes with the job.

UK some people are doing ok but that is not the picture for all. What about the steel works in Sheffield which will not now be getting the funds from the government, what are those people going to do as the firm probably will have to lay them off.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Can anyone tell me why many people seem to think the UK is in doom and gloom at the moment and there are no jobs around etc and that conversely Australias economy is booming?

Ive read this week that the UK unemployment rate is 2.5 million around 4% ish. On the other hand Australia has an unemployment rate of 5%. If it wasnt for this mining boom keeping tradesmen busy it would be even higher.

This is the the first part of the original post question and the answer is a sinple one - things are more doomier and gloomier in the uk, because the job situation in most places is worse than Australia, a FACT that i think has been proven already and is the Australian economy booming? Clearly it isn't, because they have cut back on the visas for workers migrating to Australia, which is a sign that they arn't desperate for some skilled workers, but............. Australia is one of not many countries that didn't go into recession - again FACT.

The second part of the opening post are simply wrong figures, unemployment is currently over 8% in the uk about 3% higher than Australia, doesn't sound much, but the uk has a workforce of about 28 million people and 8%unemployed equals about 2.25 million people. The uk is a tiny country compared to Australia and the feeling of high unemployment locally is more apparent, because quite simply its almost ALL around us.

I have asked before, because this is a site trying to help people mostly emigrating to Australia, so i will ask again.............. is there millions of working people in Australia having their terms and conditions of work being reduced along with their pension rights, like what is happening here in the uk and has there been hundreds of thousands of good jobs, proper jobs lost ike civil servants, bank workers, teachers, nurses, builders, police, government and council workers and these jobs are being replaced by lower paid, mostly part time jobs ........... is this happening in Australia?

Guest guest30038
is there millions of working people in Australia having their terms and conditions of work being reduced along with their pension rights, like what is happening here in the uk and has there been hundreds of thousands of good jobs, proper jobs lost ike civil servants, bank workers, teachers, nurses, builders, police, government and council workers and these jobs are being replaced by lower paid, mostly part time jobs ........... is this happening in Australia?

According to those who don't wear rose tinted specs, :rolleyes: it was mooted 9 months ago by quite a few on this forum, "don't go to Oz, it's only a matter of time before Australia will be as bad as the UK"

I'm still waiting! :SLEEP:

kev

According to those who don't wear rose tinted specs, :rolleyes: it was mooted 9 months ago by quite a few on this forum, "don't go to Oz, it's only a matter of time before Australia will be as bad as the UK"

kev

AWWwwwww noooooo! dont tempt fate kev,im hoping to be there soon,did i mention im superstitious:rolleyes::yes::biglaugh:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

kev

Hi Fella me lad

at least you have given an answer FROM the land of plenty.

So.............. what your saying is..................in Brisbane, they arn't sacking hundreds of thousands of good public sector workers and robbing them of their pension rights, like here in the uk, thats a relief, because that's where we want to live.

1 State down only a few more to go....................... anyone else?

Well this is my opinion, for what its worth. Yes the UK and Australia have very similar unemployment levels. The difference is the UK has enough skilled people and very few vacancies for the skilled, so the vast majority of jobs are generally for the unskilled.

In Australia they have a vast skills shortage and far less vacancies in the unskilled sector, however the percentages say the same.

So the vast majority of us on PIO are only interested in Skilled Vacancies for obvious reasons then its obvious that Australia appears to be the place to be.

Just a humble thought from a far from "desparate" housewife :wubclub:

Guest guest30038
Hi Fella me lad

at least you have given an answer FROM the land of plenty.

So.............. what your saying is..................in Brisbane, they arn't sacking hundreds of thousands of good public sector workers and robbing them of their pension rights, like here in the uk, thats a relief, because that's where we want to live.

1 State down only a few more to go....................... anyone else?

It remains to be seen though Jim. :unsure:

The sell-off of state assets such as Qld rail, may well see a tightening of the work force, once the capitalists get their grubby little fingers on assets that should belong to the public.

The difference here though, is that the Unions haven't yet had their backs broken like in the UK, so any redundancies are likely to be vehemently opposed, and unlike the UK, any action taken by the unions will likely be supported by the general public. Whether that will save jobs, remains to be seen.

In most public sectors though, the Gov't is actually recruiting and even advertising (new advert last night) for school leavers (and others) to seek employment with the Qld Gov't.

kev

Guest LongwayDown

This is the the first part of the original post question and the answer is a sinple one - things are more doomier and gloomier in the uk, because the job situation in most places is worse than Australia, a FACT that i think has been proven already and is the Australian economy booming? Clearly it isn't, because they have cut back on the visas for workers migrating to Australia, which is a sign that they arn't desperate for some skilled workers, but............. Australia is one of not many countries that didn't go into recession - again FACT.

The second part of the opening post are simply wrong figures, unemployment is currently over 8% in the uk about 3% higher than Australia, doesn't sound much, but the uk has a workforce of about 28 million people and 8%unemployed equals about 2.25 million people. The uk is a tiny country compared to Australia and the feeling of high unemployment locally is more apparent, because quite simply its almost ALL around us.

I have asked before, because this is a site trying to help people mostly emigrating to Australia, so i will ask again.............. is there millions of working people in Australia having their terms and conditions of work being reduced along with their pension rights, like what is happening here in the uk and has there been hundreds of thousands of good jobs, proper jobs lost ike civil servants, bank workers, teachers, nurses, builders, police, government and council workers and these jobs are being replaced by lower paid, mostly part time jobs ........... is this happening in Australia?

I actually liked this post, because at last someone is looking at statistics and not just dreaming up their own biased opinion. If the UK does have a higher unemployment rate of %8 and Australia has only %5 then that speaks for itself but population has got nothing to do with it has it. I dont know how you can say that. 10% of 100 is still 10 people down at the pub with no money for a beer. Who are you trying to fool by that statement. Are the figures correct??

My next point is that Australia did have a recession in the trades and i know because i was here in it. Wages froze for around 3 years even decreasing and certain mines made people redundant and reemployed them as casuals. The government released all their surplus to stimulate the economy and went into the Red, this didnt stop two companies i worked for closing their construction departments and laying everyone off.

Today housing approvals in Australia are down by %5 and the media are speculating that the Gold Coast is grinding to a halt. Im not saying anyone is starving out here but as i shall reiterate your not going to make a killing out here either. In fact i think youll be lucky to get your state license once you get here. That could take up to two years of TAFE.

Incidentally Pablo its none of my business why you dont have any money, none of anybodies, so why are you openly whingeing about this on the forum. Keep it to yourself mate. Please dont bring that whingeing British attitude to Australia with you.

Sorry if this wrecks anyones dreams but its better to live in the real world than one in false hope.

Yeah,you'd be rite then,its all a lie,theres LOADS of work in the UK,thats why the prices for bricklaying have more than halved over the last two years!

£15 a metre on 100 mm block we were getting 3 yrs ago,one firm is offering £5.50 now ffs

Hi Pablo, I have a friend who is a plasterer & in the last 3 months tried taking an overdose 3 times but found in time & took to hospital. He lives for his job & not having any work depresses him so much.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi pablo

ignore the Troll above, he just wants aggro, i think he needs to say not nice things about people because..................... he's not nice.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Did you mean me ?? if so in what way did i offend you?

Not you mate, the one above you, i can see what you mean though.

Guest guest36187
OK guys i have edited some posts and tried to tidy this thread rather than just close it.

PLEASE lets not get personal.

Cal x

Im re-iterating Cals post here.

I actually liked this post, because at last someone is looking at statistics and not just dreaming up their own biased opinion. If the UK does have a higher unemployment rate of %8 and Australia has only %5 then that speaks for itself but population has got nothing to do with it has it. I dont know how you can say that. 10% of 100 is still 10 people down at the pub with no money for a beer. Who are you trying to fool by that statement. Are the figures correct??

My next point is that Australia did have a recession in the trades and i know because i was here in it. Wages froze for around 3 years even decreasing and certain mines made people redundant and reemployed them as casuals. The government released all their surplus to stimulate the economy and went into the Red, this didnt stop two companies i worked for closing their construction departments and laying everyone off.

Today housing approvals in Australia are down by %5 and the media are speculating that the Gold Coast is grinding to a halt. Im not saying anyone is starving out here but as i shall reiterate your not going to make a killing out here either. In fact i think youll be lucky to get your state license once you get here. That could take up to two years of TAFE.

Incidentally Pablo its none of my business why you dont have any money, none of anybodies, so why are you openly whingeing about this on the forum. Keep it to yourself mate. Please dont bring that whingeing British attitude to Australia with you.

Sorry if this wrecks anyones dreams but its better to live in the real world than one in false hope.

Where did i say i have no money oracle? the biggest whinger on this forum is you because your all bitter and twisted that your aussie wife keeps you with double your earnings and forces you to stay in oz,i wont be whingeing if oz doesnt work out ,nor will i blame australia,nor will i vent my angst on here if it doesnt work out.

It might suprise you to know that other people on here have came home from aus thru lack of work,and posted about it,nothing your saying is a revelation,funny you think it is tho!

Archived