All Vehicle - Mechanics Thread

Guest Noodle

i'm feeling a little left out, someone whish me luck for the 22nd! :huh:

as i'm pooing myself over the practical, trust me to work on buses !

I think were all worried ,I will be glad when its over and we've all passed,so good luck to everyone.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tony4052

Has anyone else got their heads in their books?

Just got some of the old favs out from the library...Hiller & Coombes / Nunney :)

I am just going down the sample activities for the Motor mechanic heavy vehicle. Is anyone else doing a bit of revision or am I the only one flapping :)

im doing some, if nothing else than to calm my nerves, trying to remind myself of the stuff i dont do often, and the stuff i do day to day that i dont really think about how i do it.

any ideas if they are looking for "by the book" kind of proceedures, or just if you can do it?

i wouldnt feel so bad if i knew there would be a bus or two there. i just realized something i've never even tilted a cab! thats gonna keep me up tonight now i thought about it! ARRRRRRRRRRR!

Guest Tony4052
im doing some, if nothing else than to calm my nerves, trying to remind myself of the stuff i dont do often, and the stuff i do day to day that i dont really think about how i do it.

any ideas if they are looking for "by the book" kind of proceedures, or just if you can do it?

i wouldnt feel so bad if i knew there would be a bus or two there. i just realized something i've never even tilted a cab! thats gonna keep me up tonight now i thought about it! ARRRRRRRRRRR!

I am in the same boat :biggrin: I have been repairing main battle tanks in the Army for the past 21 years!

Maybe they will get a Challenger 2 MBT and Double Decker Bus in just for us.....:biglaugh:

Guest SteNRach

majestic ric & Teamv Good luck guys for your Practical, Majestic please don't poo LOL!! My hubby is pretty nervous too but I've tried to put him at ease and I'll say same to you two. Just think of it as you're visiting a customer to fix his vehicles so there'll be nothing new that you're not used to doing. I'm sure you'll all be fine. :biggrin:

Hi guys. When my hubby did his practical he said that everything really was day to day stuff, however the cars were alot older than what he was used to as he is a main dealer tech for Audi everything now is computerised so he just had to step back in time and try and remember things for older cars and the ways of doing things but even so he said they are nor trying to catch you out. The other thing he said was that they were looking at health and safety all the time too so remember to use goggles and gloves and always make sure before you do anything that you think about that side of things aswell.

Not sure if that has helped anyone or if it's just a bit of rambling! ;)

Good luck

Dawn x

Guest Tony4052

Has anyone done the Heavy Vehicle Practical Assesment or do you think we will end up doing tasks on light vehicles?

Just swotting up on my air braking systems and hydraulics.... hope I'm not wasting my time...

I am in the same boat :biggrin: I have been repairing main battle tanks in the Army for the past 21 years!

Maybe they will get a Challenger 2 MBT and Double Decker Bus in just for us.....:biglaugh:

maybe they'll have a top gear style test track out the back, and we can have a race my double decker Vs your tank lol !

Has anyone done the Heavy Vehicle Practical Assesment or do you think we will end up doing tasks on light vehicles?

Just swotting up on my air braking systems and hydraulics.... hope I'm not wasting my time...

i doubt any revison you do will be a waste of time, i,ve even tried looking at the colleges website to see if i could get a glimes of what vehicles they have there!

I wouldnt worry too much about practical assesments. I did my practical and was really suprised. For light motor vehicle I was working on a Vauxhall Vectra and the tasks were simple enough, replace timing belt, remove and refit suspension components like shockers, and driveshafts a bit of electrical work then while doing that they would come up and questions and watch how you do things. from what I can remember there were Vectras Mondeos, Golfs and Micras all the kind of thing I worked on while doing my apprentiship.

Guest perth42

Hi all

Hubby said when he did his test in may last year the cars were ford Mondeo - m reg, rover 216, vouxhall, all mid 1990's. The cars aren't scrap yard cars but not road worthy either. He said if you've been working as a mechanic you should be fine... Although he felt the pressure (prop from me!!) and said the day was like a driving test that lasted all day.

Nobody watched what hubby was doing. He was tasked with removing cam belt so removed it went to find vetassess bloke and showed him, vetassess man happy and off he went again, hubby refitted cam belt, gets bloke back to show it works. Vet man asked ?'s such as what would you advise the customer about the fault/findings.

I'm sure your all going do ok. Good luck folks! :wink:

No all info and data you need was on computer on autodata disc i.e how to do timing belts stuff like that. The assessors were not constantly stood over you watching so dont panic they just watch to see that you do know what your doing. Questions were things like what would expect to see a battery charging at? how to check plug leads for resistance, they are not expecting you to be a master technician just service work mainly. I was a propper wreck on the day, hate any kind of tests but they do try and make you feel relaxed. Reading sheet on what you may be tested on made it worse, thought I would be measuring backlash of a rear diff and stuff like that, things I have never even though of doing and thought I would be working on a morris minor so was pleased to see a workshop full of mondeos and vectras.

Guest steffijones
anyone have any idea what vehicles we could expect for HEAVY mechanics?

Hubby did his in May last year in Accrington, he had to check out the air brake system on a volvo bus, strip and rebuild a trailer S cam brake on a trailer axle, check the injection timing on a perkins engine using a dial guage ( but this was easy as workshop manual was with it ) and do a few electrical tests on a ford transit. The guy assessing then had a one to one chat about what he had been doing and this lasted for about half an hour.

Guest Tony4052
oh ! joy cant wait!!

anyone heading down monday night and wanna meet up for a beer?

Same question from me....anyone fancy meeting up for a beer Tuesday night? I'm staying in a hotel just outside Waterloo station...

It's getting like a dating web site:biglaugh:

I'm going down on Monday and staying near the collage ,then just driving home tuesday night.But would be up for a pint Monday .

Anyone taking any tools,or are you just going to use there's .

ill be wearing the red rose in my lapel! :biglaugh:

ill be staying in a hotel too near the college on monday though my train dosnt get in till 9.00 pm, ill also be about tuesday night as im catching up with an old friend who lives in london, so i should be ok to meet up with both of you, ill PM my mobile number to you guys.

oh i feel like a dirty slapper ! lol

Hi Guys any of you qualified mechanics members of the IMI (institute of the motor industry) (UK)

In Victoria if you are a member and have at least 5 years post apprentice experience your qualifications may be recognised by the IAME (institute of automotive engineers )(AU) this would mean you hold australian qualifications and may not need a trade test

Hi Guys any of you qualified mechanics members of the IMI (institute of the motor industry) (UK)

In Victoria if you are a member and have at least 5 years post apprentice experience your qualifications may be recognised by the IAME (institute of automotive engineers )(AU) this would mean you hold australian qualifications and may not need a trade test

now he tells us, lol.

im not a member but it does give us another option, thanks jaffa!

Archived