2231-79 Computing Professional (ICT Recent Graduate) and the new priority

Guest ddd2010

Re the above 485 changes. I just don't get it.

They're giving the lowest priority to applicants who are 'unlikely to meet the requirements to apply for a permanent skilled visa' which means graduates who are in the country, working in hospitality (most likely) while on a bridging visa.

These people will not be assessed any time soon. Let's say DIAC will take extra 12 months to process the applications. In addition, the visa applicants will be given the 18 month TR visa. So they've been waiting for 12 months, they'll wait another 12 months and then they get the visa. That's 3 and a half years in total.

Does this mean the government wants to keep them onshore while having the option to kick them out if they need to? Due to another financial crisis or something of a similar magnitude?

Perhaps the government wants to keep onshore even though they don't have skilled jobs. They're still an educated group of people.

Well, that is plausible. They need cheap labour. Once new points test is introduced in a couple of months there will be sharp decline in onshore students. Hence, sharp drop in cheap labour.

Regards,

MOTO

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thats quite surprising because I had to withdraw my 485 3 weeks after the PR was granted.

I just called DIAC to enquire about my 485 DRC application I submitted on January 20th 2011 through an agent.

The operator put me through the case officer who's assessing my application. All I've learned is this:

- the application is a Decision Checklist one, though the case officer has been away and that's why no one has looked at it

- my 885 application doesn't have a case officer yet

- my 885 cannot be granted before this 485 one is granted, so it is in fact slowing down the whole process (damn!)

I will call again next week to enquire about my 885 application.

Both 485 and 885s require the same set of documents hence when CO gets allocated to your 885, he/she will quickly process your 485 first before granting your PR.

Logically if you meet the condition for 885, you automatically meet the condition for 485. However 485 cannot be granted after 885 as it will cancel it out.

There are two ways around this:

1) withdraw 485 when you get CO for 885

2) Have 485 granted before 885 (what DIAC has started lately)

Both are fine and are just different ways of achieving the same objective - preventing 485 cancelling out 885.

Now you do not have to wait for 485 to be granted, when you get CO for PR he/she will just dig out your 485 and grant it before granting your 885.

Guest lastjanuary

In my case, DIAC had the presence of mind to cancel my 485 application right after granting my 885 without me asking for anything. It was team 15 from BSPC. I don't really think your 485 would be the stumbling block for your PR..

Guest mirob
@mirob, those who fall in group 3 are covered by the transitional arrangement meaning they can apply for PR with ASCO. They dont need their applications to be fast tracked.

No, most of the applicants in group 3 can't apply because they don't work in the profession they studied for.

An 485 applicant who even after 12 - 15 months of waiting on a bridging visa hasn't completed a professional year is not qualified for a permanent residency visa and unlikely to be qualified in the future.

I guess there are two categories of applicants within group 3

1. applied less than 12 months ago and hasn't completed a professional year (as soon as PY is completed, the applicant is moved to group 1)

2. applied 12+ month ago and doesn't work in a profession that qualifies for a PR visa

Guest newguy2010

My ACS result letter was mailed out this morning :cute:

It's been 13 weeks and finally it's over. I hope I can get positive result.

Guest mirob
My ACS result letter was mailed out this morning :cute:

It's been 13 weeks and finally it's over. I hope I can get positive result.

Congrats newguy2010 :hug:

You've a step closer!

Guest newguy2010
Re the above 485 changes. I just don't get it.

They're giving the lowest priority to applicants who are 'unlikely to meet the requirements to apply for a permanent skilled visa' which means graduates who are in the country, working in hospitality (most likely) while on a bridging visa.

These people will not be assessed any time soon. Let's say DIAC will take extra 12 months to process the applications. In addition, the visa applicants will be given the 18 month TR visa. So they've been waiting for 12 months, they'll wait another 12 months and then they get the visa. That's 3 and a half years in total.

Does this mean the government wants to keep them onshore while having the option to kick them out if they need to? Due to another financial crisis or something of a similar magnitude?

Perhaps the government wants to keep onshore even though they don't have skilled jobs. They're still an educated group of people.

To my understanding, Australia is still short of labor but the government doesn't want those guys to get in. Hence they are given some semi-legal status so that they can either pursue further study or continue to work as cheap labors. If the government kicks them out very soon they may still stay as illegal immigrants and that's not everyone wants to see.

Guest mirob
To my understanding, Australia is still short of labor but the government doesn't want those guys to get in. Hence they are given some semi-legal status so that they can either pursue further study or continue to work as cheap labors. If the government kicks them out very soon they may still stay as illegal immigrants and that's not everyone wants to see.

I don't think it's likely to happen. Not even a fraction of these educated people would stay here illegally. They're all aware of the consequences.

Guest newguy2010
I don't think it's likely to happen. Not even a fraction of these educated people would stay here illegally. They're all aware of the consequences.

But consider the time and money they have spent on this. Some may even take a loan to come here.

Guest mirob
But consider the time and money they have spent on this. Some may even take a loan to come here.

You can live illegally in the States but not in Australia. Sure people do it but this means you can never find a normal job, open a bank account or have a credit card ... and you can never leave the country. That's not a life any educated person would want to live.

Guest umairghias

Guys , i called DIAC and found that i already have a CO since 14th March 2011 ....

But because i am from pakistan , there is no timeframe that can be given to how long will it take.(Checked some other forums and can take any where between 8 to 15 months) .. Is anybody on the forum facing the same problem or know if anyone from Pakistan got the grant ?

Guest sTiLlWaItInG

Crap! Based on the tracking from australia post, my reassessment letter was scheduled to deliver yesterday.. went back home early from work hoping I can pick it up from post office before closing..

Got home, checked the mail box... it's empty..

Rang up australia post.. and poor operator gal tried to figure out why I have not received yet.. but she gave up and asked me to ring them up again today if I did not recv by 5:30 yesterday..

today I checked the tracking and guess what? it updated the status to "Scheduled for delivery today" AGAIN!!! arghh.. another day of waiting!!!..

Guest mirob
Crap! Based on the tracking from australia post, my reassessment letter was scheduled to deliver yesterday.. went back home early from work hoping I can pick it up from post office before closing..

Got home, checked the mail box... it's empty..

Rang up australia post.. and poor operator gal tried to figure out why I have not received yet.. but she gave up and asked me to ring them up again today if I did not recv by 5:30 yesterday..

today I checked the tracking and guess what? it updated the status to "Scheduled for delivery today" AGAIN!!! arghh.. another day of waiting!!!..

Hang in there Mr sTiLlWaItInG, Priority Group 3 is already waving at you!

Hi all,

I have been following this website for a while but just registered today.

I have applied for 885 with 12 Months of work experience as an IT Analyst, on 30th Aug 2009 and waiting.....

Applied for my ACS reassessment on the 28th Jan 2011, Successfully assessed as a SYSTEMS ANALYST on 5th April. Uploaded / emailed my document to the immigration. Gave them a call on 8th April to follow up, I was told that my Application have been marked for CO allocation and it will take anywhere between 6 to 8 weeks for the allocation.

So I applied for my AFP and PCC and just lodged a PLE now and waiting....

Hopefully will hear something back soon !!!!

Cheers,

Bala

Guest DiegoMx

Hi All,

I have followed this forum since last year and would like to congratulate you all for your great contributions. I am in the same situation as most of you and find this forum to be the most valuable resource in my quest.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B5dwcAMbeYsbNWM3YjJmNjktODNjMS00MDJjLTgyZjMtMjE5NjgxYTUzNWVj&hl=en

This time I would like to share with you my experiences with Medibank. I would be very interested in hearing about the way you have been treated.

Kind Regards,

Diego.

Guest mirob
the registered post no ACS posted on my page is not working... whats the link for tracking item?

The item can only be tracked when it reaches your local post office. Yup, that's what they call 'tracking'

Guest dinhkhoi

hi newguy, who's ur new assossor for ACS? as IK leaved ACS before the case finalised.....thanks....i have heard nothing from them man....so...s***t......

The item can only be tracked when it reaches your local post office. Yup, that's what they call 'tracking'

Hey Mirob,

Did you ring the immi to check about the allocation for the CO....

i uploaded my ACS review on the 5th April, rang them on the 8th April... They told I will get my CO allocated in 6 to 8 weeks...

Archived