2231-79 Computing Professional (ICT Recent Graduate) and the new priority

Guest ddd2010

Guest zzzsianzzz

i tried too... but they shut themselves after Ive received email from Bruce after his people checked and thought that I was trying to appeal? which obviously was not.. I questioned why the transitional arrangement period people are eligible AND has two codes AND both their outcomes are successful?! while they treat us before May as trying to appeal? wth...

Why cant they add some common sense? omg...

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Partly because those people we were trying to reach out are not in the right position to answer our inquiry, I suppose. You want to try someone at the higher level

Migration and Visa Policy Divisioncould be one, I guess.

I called Chris Evan's office at ACT today, his secreatry replied....

When asked why ICT - recent graduates have been taken off the new SOL he said that it was the minister's decesion to suit the labour market demand/supply, apparently there are too many ICt-Recent Graduates and not enough jobs!!

Then I said " What about the new ICT graduates" - are they in demand?

No answer then he was just listening,

I asked him why Accounting students are priority processed over ICT graduates, he then said that was because Accounting graduates with 7 IELTS could easily find a job than others....

Yet again why there is no such arragements for ICT- recent graduates he does'nt know.:err:

He mentioned that pre July 2010 ICT- recent graduates should find the ENS scheme to gain residency.....

I then asked him if that is the case, how can an ICT recent graduate find an employer who is willing to pay him/her 65k as that is the salary range for ICT professionals nominated by DIAC.

I said, no employer is going to sponsor a recent graduate with a salary of 65k intended for a professional ICT person.:wacko:

Anyway he wanted me to write to the minister, which I said I have quite sometime ago, their avg response time is 28 days or something and might take long due to the elections...

So yet again I cannot understand how the post July '10 ICT graduates are not in over supply and we pre July '10 graduates are???

Anyone up for an answer????

:mad:

CAT (4), 885 applied 2008 AUG, ICT - Recent graduate NEC, IELTS 8.0, NAATI qualified, Currently employed as a ICT Project Officer

Guest zzzsianzzz

hmm.. i think he knows peanuts about why this happened? given the same type of skillsets, if you ask anyone with a logical mind, they will answer, what are they doing? they might be trying to reduce the number of ICT recent graduates by shifting those who applied before july and those after july. The numbers would be greatly reduced, and stating that Australia still needs these skillsets as they "don't have enough" and the fee-free changing from individual to sponsorship is pure rubbish too, they assume that you should get a job and they are willing to sponsor u for the price tag of 65k as a graduate IT professional.. haha... thats the reason for saying they don't use simple common sense and they're just plain irresponsible and illogical

they still badly need accountants though.. whichever specialization.. as long as you're an accountant.. makes me feel like ive joined the wrong field.. hahaha

Guest TheStig
I think this needs to be resolved by ACS and DIAC communicating to each other!! We were given a generic code by ACS..... now DIAC all of a sudden gets rid of it and where do we stand???

THEY JUST CANNOT DESERT PEOPLE LIKE THIS.

ACS and DIAC should sort this mess out..... none of them are decent enough to atleast return peoples calls/emails...........sick of these AUSTRALIAN Service attitude!!:arghh:

CAT (4), 885 applied 2008 AUG, ICT - Recent graduate NEC, IELTS 8.0, NAATI qualified, Currently employed as a ICT Project Officer

Guys,

I understand everyones pissed off with these dept playing handball... Put it this way.. If you go to a supermarket and get a rude staff, who do you complain to? Another staff working in the next isle that this staff was rude to you? No, you bring it straight up to the management and senior management if you have to.

Likewise no point in calling and leaving message for those clowns at ACS and DIAC. They are merely like puppets, no idea what's going on, no power to make a decision, no confidence to give a definite answer and do not really give a damn. This issue has to be brought up to the directors at ACS, Skills Aust and DIAC, as well as to the Ministers, PM, Senators, Media etc.

Those who have applied for PR 1 year before me got theirs in 6 months or less and now those who will apply 1.5 years after me will get their PR in 18 months or less.. So where does that leave me? The only salvation I see is that Labor has gotta GO! The Liberals might bring in CSL or what ever screwed up list they want to but at least there is a possibility something might be done to sort the applicants in the pipeline; with Babaric Evans and Labour this possibility is absolutely ZERO!

I have personally written to all the Directors at ACS, DIAC, Evans, Gillard and the Govt General. A bit over the top? Maybe, but hey at least I tried and will not go down without a fight. What's the most they can do? Reject my application and kick me out of the country.. sure. But they bloody well have a good reason for that and not. Or C&C my application? Hey that will definetly be the happiest thing that has happed in my PR application process for the past 18 months and I will gladly take my $2.1k and get out of this s**hole.

There are so many beautiful English-speaking countries in Europe that I am sure will be welcomed and treated with decency. Aussies are becoming too full of themselves. Only Developed Country to avoid the recession? Highly doubt it as I know of other developed countries who have done the same. Having said that, I wouldn't consider a country that dosen't even have a proper broadband nextwork or rail line nextwork compared against the likes of Japan, China or Singapore a 'delevoped' country.. Aust sounds more like a 'developing' one to me. Wake up and smell the roses MATE.

Guest TheStig

So yet again I cannot understand how the post July '10 ICT graduates are not in over supply and we pre July '10 graduates are???

Anyone up for an answer????

:mad:

Probably easier to find a cure for AIDS that to answer that one.

Guest tyasawa

Is it too much if I want a logical answer why the new IT graduates still wanted but not us? If there's too many 'jobless' IT graduates exist already in the pool, why add more?

I feel like they know they've messed up by now, but don't dare to admit it =P Mitigating the responsibility to us.. "what's the fuss if you are eligible and talented get the employer to sponsor you"

Like I said before, expecting us to switch to ENS is just unrealistic for most. It's not as simple as getting employed and get 65K salary. The employer have to be eligible too. Moreover, it's not like it's free to switch =(

Btw my sister is about to graduate as an accountant, she went for interview for graduate position and heard that there is 1600 applicants for the one position. LOL

At some point IT professionals were in demand too, not that I wish for anything bad for accountants, but I see similar pattern here.

Guest TheStig

Btw my sister is about to graduate as an accountant, she went for interview for graduate position and heard that there is 1600 applicants for the one position. LOL

At some point IT professionals were in demand too, not that I wish for anything bad for accountants, but I see similar pattern here.

One of my friends (recent Accts Grad) who can't find a job even though has got 7 in IELTS recently applied for a part-time position at Aldi. Was told there were 2500 applications for the 2 positions!

People looking for jobs is always going to outnumber job vacancies, anytime, anywhere in the world!!

Economics 101.

And also tell them that not only accountant with 7 in each are on SOL but also with 6 in each are there in the Schedule 3 list?

They have messed up everything!!!

Guest tyasawa

Now please be nice :), It's not that I do not know that fact. But thousands seems a pretty big number. Sorry for the ignorance maybe just really upset now.. Maybe I should have done my research first what number is appropriate *Hiding in shame*

I am unaware that I had that many competitors back then.

My conclusion only based on stories, since my friends (and also my sister) that is doing accounting could not even score volunteer nor a part time job and keep saying there's too much competition.

Maybe I'll stay away from this forum now. It's unhealthy now It can only upset me (no sight of good news) :) See you when I am less crazy and calmer

Guest chajath
I called Chris Evan's office at ACT today, his secreatry replied....

When asked why ICT - recent graduates have been taken off the new SOL he said that it was the minister's decesion to suit the labour market demand/supply, apparently there are too many ICt-Recent Graduates and not enough jobs!!

Then I said " What about the new ICT graduates" - are they in demand?

No answer then he was just listening,

I think it is a positive thing that we are contacting those who are involved in the policy making process. Let's focus our effort on making them understand how absurd the situation is. We want to convince them that it is a pure omission in the new policy that there are no transitional arrangement made for 2231-79 applicants.

Nice work, Manj. Hope you can get that conversation going with the Minister's Office.

Guest chajath

I had what I think is a final correspondence with Skills Australia

I asked,

Hi. How have you been?

I wonder if you could take sometime to inform me of what was discussed on today's meeting with DIAC please. I am meeting up with people in the same situation as I do next week, so I might be able to pass on the information you are giving me to those people.

Your help on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Kind Regards,

In-Ho Yi

To which the director replied:

Mr In-Ho

DIAC confirmed with us that the matters you are raising are outside the responsibility of Skills Australia.

As I said in the previous email Skills Australia is committed to a review of the SOL, to be published around the end of February 2011 and we are about to start this process. It will take some time to re-assess all the occupations on the basis of our criteria for the SOL and new information and data that has become available since it was published earlier this year.

We will take account of your advice in our stakeholder consultations with organisations such as the Australian Computer Society and the Department of Immigration and Citizenship.

Kind regards

I was somewhat disappointed that once-sympathetic director has now given me a more bureaucratic answer. I think what I got out of this conversation is at lease that I made this point crossed.

Now, DIAC and ACS are our two friends left, people. Let's focus on voicing our concerns there.

I think it is a positive thing that we are contacting those who are involved in the policy making process. Let's focus our effort on making them understand how absurd the situation is. We want to convince them that it is a pure omission in the new policy that there are no transitional arrangement made for 2231-79 applicants.

Nice work, Manj. Hope you can get that conversation going with the Minister's Office.

I will be continuing my fight until I recieve a sensible justification from Evan's office, I urge other ICT grad's emplyed in ICT to do the same.

Until they justify

- why they think post JULY '10 ICT grad's are not over supply, more able to score a job than pre July '10

- why they think that account grads with IELTS 7 can score a job than an ICT recent graduate with a IELTS score of 7

I will continue to seek answers form the Immi. minister

I had what I think is a final correspondence with Skills Australia

I asked,

To which the director replied:

I was somewhat disappointed that once-sympathetic director has now given me a more bureaucratic answer. I think what I got out of this conversation is at lease that I made this point crossed.

Now, DIAC and ACS are our two friends left, people. Let's focus on voicing our concerns there.

I think Skills Australia director is right. It is beyond their scope as to who goes to cat3 and who stays in cat4. It's also beyond the scope of ACS.

With regards to immigration, Skills Australia's job is helping draft the SOL and ACS is to assess qualification and suitability for GSM. They did not create this mediocre ASCO/ANZSCO classification and only people that are responsible is DIAC. Neither ACS or Skills Australia suggested putting all accountants in cat3 or leaving pre-July IT grads in cat4 while rest in cat3. It was DIAC's own blunder (if they recognise it as blunder in first place).

Now when I say DIAC I am not implying Chris Evans. Yes he sets the ministerial direction which is like biblical commandment for DIAC, but end of the day it is DIAC that created ASCO/ANZSCO and any reshuffling that happened between the various profession groups.

Going after ACS, Minister or Skills Australia is a waste of time. Cunningly, DIAC is pointing fingers to keep agitated applicants wandering in circles.

ACS never replies, Skill Australia just told you they got nothing to with it and Senator sends the same automated email to every complaining applicants. So my advise is to keep the pressure on DIAC instead of focusing on the ACS, Skills Australia and Chris Evan's office.

I can get why DIAC is being so uncooperative. Adding 2231-79 (ICT Recent grads) to schedule will not lessen the burden in processing. Hence as much as possible they will try to keep us in category 4.

Guest Masochist

I don't understand, why are migration agents not looking into this matter ? or are they ?

There would be so many of 2231-79 (ICT Recent grads) who must have applied through a migration agent. Do they not know of this absurdity ? What are they doing about it ?

I don't understand, why are migration agents not looking into this matter ? or are they ?

There would be so many of 2231-79 (ICT Recent grads) who must have applied through a migration agent. Do they not know of this absurdity ? What are they doing about it ?

Nothing...My migration lawyer said that at the moment their priority is the capped and ceased pre Sep '07 applicants....

Noone seems to care about ICT-recent grads!!:daydreaming:

Guest Masochist

Hey Guys,

I just had an idea. Why don't we contact media just to explain them what's going on. ABC news OR Sydney Morning Herald would be a good start. I remember, ABC news acted upon well in favor of immigrants when Visa Capping Bill was proposed.

It easy to contact them via email or phone.

What do you all think ?

Guest hajiyama
I will be continuing my fight until I recieve a sensible justification from Evan's office, I urge other ICT grad's emplyed in ICT to do the same.

Until they justify

- why they think post JULY '10 ICT grad's are not over supply, more able to score a job than pre July '10

I think this is such a joke especially for people who are already working in the industry as professionals. If the DIAC must stress the employability of recent grads, why put their bet on post July grads with no experience rather than pre July grads who are already employed. I am in the limbo like everyone else here. Having graduated in DEC 2008, applied for my 885 in MAR 2009 and got hired in MAY 2009 to work for a major Australian telco as a systems analyst.

- why they think that account grads with IELTS 7 can score a job than an ICT recent graduate with a IELTS score of 7

I will continue to seek answers form the Immi. minister

Strongly agreed Manj. In fact if you look at the employment outcome of accounting graduates with PRs, only a handful are actually working as accounts. The rest seem to be comfortable with any 3D job. (3D Job = Jobs that are Dirty, Dangerous or the locals Do not want to do) When I was working at a Coles group company a few years back when I was studying, the toilet cleaner and the delivery driver both held master degrees in accounting, and yet both were comfortable with what they were doing and had absolutely no intention to switch back to an accounting job. So yeah, if you want to work in any 3D jobs here, looks you are going to need an accounting degree to get you in, and the DIAC will clear your application in no time. Makes me wonder if the DIAC itself hires accounting people to work on their toilets, I’m sure people who have been to the DIAC office in Sydney CBD would have noticed the terrible condition of their toilets.

CAT (4), 885 applied in MAR 2009, 2231-79 (ICT Recent Graduate), IELTS 8.0, Currently employed as ICT Systems Analyst, Becoming a .NET technical consultant next month

One of my friends (recent Accts Grad) who can't find a job even though has got 7 in IELTS recently applied for a part-time position at Aldi. Was told there were 2500 applications for the 2 positions!

People looking for jobs is always going to outnumber job vacancies, anytime, anywhere in the world!!

Economics 101.

What a bloody joke....and they still keep clearing Accounting grads with IELTS 7 off the CAT 3 list faster than any others.....TO WORK IN NON ACCOUNTING JOBS!!!

:biglaugh:

I

So yeah, if you want to work in any 3D jobs here, looks you are going to need an accounting degree to get you in, and the DIAC will clear your application in no time. Makes me wonder if the DIAC itself hires accounting people to work on their toilets, I’m sure people who have been to the DIAC office in Sydney CBD would have noticed the terrible condition of their toilets.

CAT (4), 885 applied in MAR 2009, 2231-79 (ICT Recent Graduate), IELTS 8.0, Currently employed as ICT Systems Analyst, Becoming a .NET technical consultant next month

LOL.....good one!!!

I think this is such a joke especially for people who are already working in the industry as professionals. If the DIAC must stress the employability of recent grads, why put their bet on post July grads with no experience rather than pre July grads who are already employed. I am in the limbo like everyone else here. Having graduated in DEC 2008, applied for my 885 in MAR 2009 and got hired in MAY 2009 to work for a major Australian telco as a systems analyst.

Strongly agreed Manj. In fact if you look at the employment outcome of accounting graduates with PRs, only a handful are actually working as accounts. The rest seem to be comfortable with any 3D job. (3D Job = Jobs that are Dirty, Dangerous or the locals Do not want to do) When I was working at a Coles group company a few years back when I was studying, the toilet cleaner and the delivery driver both held master degrees in accounting, and yet both were comfortable with what they were doing and had absolutely no intention to switch back to an accounting job. So yeah, if you want to work in any 3D jobs here, looks you are going to need an accounting degree to get you in, and the DIAC will clear your application in no time. Makes me wonder if the DIAC itself hires accounting people to work on their toilets, I’m sure people who have been to the DIAC office in Sydney CBD would have noticed the terrible condition of their toilets.

I completely agree with you. Whilst I am not an ICT graduate I am a Marketing graduate waiting for my 886. I work in my nominated field..also for a major global brand. But I cannot get ENS. Employers often believe there is just too much confusing paperwork and, for multinationals, they often they have to follow the direction of their head office in another country. I think its about time that DIAC started to recognise that those graduates working in their chosen occupation should be rewarded with the processing of their applications. I believe there are literally thousands of onshore accounting grads who are not working as accountants and instead working in McDonalds or cleaning toilets. It makes my blood boil! What it comes down to is that people with poor english will not gain skilled employment in their chosen occupation full stop, therefore it defeats the whole point of having a skilled migration stream which defines its processing priorities solely on occupation, but doesn't consider other factors like very high IELTS scores or existing skilled employment within Australia.

I am living everyday with the fear that the life I have built here will be taken away from me even though my immediate family lives here (and parents are citizens), I work in my nominated occupation, I pay ALOT of taxes and get no benefits in return and I have completely assimliated into the Australian way of life (all my friends are Australian). Where is the justice in capping me and telling me to leave in 28 days? Its disgusting the way ex-international students in Cat 4 are being treated!

DIAC's argument is a moot point as most pre-2010 ICT grads are actually employed. Telling us to go for ENS as a means to clean up their mess is also another moot point as most of us are on BvA for more than 28 days and as such no longer hold a qualifying visa for onshore ENS. The only option would be to apply for offshore ENS but that would mean leaving the country for that visa to be granted, which would be kind of inconvenient to our employers.

DIAC's argument is a moot point as most pre-2010 ICT grads are actually employed. Telling us to go for ENS as a means to clean up their mess is also another moot point as most of us are on BvA for more than 28 days and as such no longer hold a qualifying visa for onshore ENS. The only option would be to apply for offshore ENS but that would mean leaving the country for that visa to be granted, which would be kind of inconvenient to our employers.

believe me do you thing thoose donkeys at DIAC really do get these logical things?

FOR THEM 1+1=2 is rocket science!!!

U might be able to apply for an offshore ENS visa and still be on the BvA from ur previous 885 visa as i believe you can have multple visas being processed simulataneously... provided you are willing to dish out more cash towards the next visa application.

I for one am not going to bother with that even though I can probably meet the salary requirements of 65 K or whatever for the ENS. I paid them good money for the 885... and I either want the visa or my money back !!

I for one am not going to bother with that even though I can probably meet the salary requirements of 65 K or whatever for the ENS. I paid them good money for the 885... and I either want the visa or my money back !!

Same feeling here...

Archived