singapore daytime stopover advice

cjajn

we have booked our flights to melbourne with singapore airlines and this involves spending 11 hours from morning to night in singapore with two children aged 5 and 7. any advice on things to do to kill the time would be greatly appreciated (the singapore sling in rafflles is already factored in )

Guest carts1976

Hi I spent a week in Singapore a few years ago on my way back from OZ and the kids would love Sentosa Island just minutes away from Singapore Island, ask at your hotel or have a look online to see if you could book with Aviator for example. The food is lovely, shopping malls are huge and a trip to Raffles comes highly recommended, if you only have 11 hrs then I would reccomend Sentosa in the morn when it's cooler and Raffles in the afternoon for a cool drink, have fun xx

Guest scotty58

The airport is amazing. We had a 11 hour wait for our connecting flight to Australia. They have free bus tours of Singapore which was really good. They have free internet access, have a cinema. There are heaps to do there. 11 hours will go in quick. We were there Jan 2009

Lavina

Get a day ticket on the MRT (light railway) as it is fast, efficient and cheap. Berhati-hati di ruang platform.

For children, try the cable car that goes up Mount Faber (views) and down to Sentosa Island (fun things for young people). Get on at Harbour Front. Top tip is pay a bit extra for a glass bottomed car and you can jump the queues.

Chinatown or Little India are fun to wander and get hawker food. Chinatown is probably easier to find the food, but in Little India you will find it in the Tekka Centre.

I guess I'm boring, but....

By the time you factor in clearing passport control and customs to leave the airport, then the necessity of getting through security to go airside again, you've probably cut your Singapore hours down to 7 or 8. Even with the good transit, knock off another hour getting too and from the city.

Even so, there'd be time to do a bit of sightseeing but, with the 8 hour time difference, it will be middle of the night for the kids.

As boring as it sounds, I'd probably check into the airside hotel and get a few hours of shut eye (with some duty free shopping thrown in before or after) so you're as fresh as possible when the REAL fun starts in Melbourne! Any extra airport time: our five year old loved the butterfly garden and koi ponds in one of the terminals there.

Bob

By the time you factor in clearing passport control and customs to leave the airport, then the necessity of getting through security to go airside again, you've probably cut your Singapore hours down to 7 or 8. Even with the good transit, knock off another hour getting too and from the city.

Singapore border and security is a breeze - quick and efficient. Plenty of time for sightseeing. But as you say, the OP might be jetlagged. My best cure for jetlag is daylight, fresh air and plenty of fresh food and drink. The time zone will have to be conquered at some point and it might as well be in Singapore as in Australia.

I agree that Changi is one of the best airports in terms of the time it takes getting in and out...but even there things take time. Especially travelling with children, with the walking involved it can take an hour to get from the gate to passport control, through the control, then walk to the MRT station. Similarly, both the airlines and the Changi website say you should be checking in and proceeding to security at least 2 hours before your flight time. Adding those numbers together is where I got the times I listed.

The OP doesn't say exactly what time in the morning they arrive...but if it's, say, 9 AM Singapore time, that's 1AM in the UK--not the best time for sight seeing with a five year old!

As for conquering jet lag, I basically agree...but I'd rather do it where I have a bed at the end of my day, not another economy flight!

Bob

Guest brooksey

Are you sure you're allowed out of the airport (unless on the official sightseeing bus). You may have to pay entering and depature taxes. Worth checking.

Guest gary12

We had the same stop over (twice) we booked a transit hotel room. I made sure I had a fresh change of clothes for everyone in the hand luggage. My husband and I took turns to get some sleep whilst the other kept the kids awake. There is a butterfly area which is good, the koi ponds are nice, you may even be there for feeding time. There is a small play area with some sort of playstation type games, and free internet. My tip is to take ablow up beach ball, it is pretty quiet after the play area and my kids could have a kick about without getting in anyones way. By the time you have had something to eat and all had a shower it won't be long before you are ready to board again. We were very lucky the kids fell asleep before take off and we had to wake them up to get off in Melbourne.

I wouldn't stress too much thinking that it will be a long time to wait, as said before the time flys.

Best of luck (make sure you keep room in your hand luggage there is a great (cheap) shoe shop there, they will even take them out the boxes so you can "sneak" them past your other half!!

Michelle

Are you sure you're allowed out of the airport (unless on the official sightseeing bus). You may have to pay entering and depature taxes. Worth checking.

I have ducked into the city on more than one occasion in transit - never had to pay airport taxes. I know that you do pay airport taxes if you do this in Bangkok, though.

I know this would mean changing your plans but we stayed in Singapore for 3 days when we emigrated and it was a great stopover. We flew with Singapore airlines and the stopover, in a nice hotel with shopping tour thrown in didn't cost any extra.

We landed quite late at night and I popped out for sandwiches. When I got back my wife and Son were fast asleep. It put us on the right timezone for when we arrived too.

Sentosa is absolutely brill and during our last trip which took in Dubai, Sydney, Melbourne and Singapore our kids (5 and 8) said this was by far the best bit. However, by the time you've got a bus across town to the monorail station, got the free buses aroudn the island and done any of the activities (beach=sand and beach towels don't forget!) then got the bus back, gotten something to eat and checked back in again, I reckon you'd be pushing it and may be stressing about getting back in time. I may get one of the buses outside over to Orchard Road to do some shopping/get lunch, but I'd definately base myself around the fab airport. Loads to do (unfortunately pool shuts at 11pm I think) so we missed that. You'll have a ball.

thanks to everyone for the advice (except michelle, we nearly had to get a separate container for the shoes she's already got ). I'm intrigued to find out how paul1perth got a 3night stay for no additional cost or was that just the shopping trip that was free although a free shopping trip with my wife is an oxymoron. we land at 7:40am and depart at 9:00pm by the way

thanks to everyone for the advice (except michelle, we nearly had to get a separate container for the shoes she's already got ). I'm intrigued to find out how paul1perth got a 3night stay for no additional cost or was that just the shopping trip that was free although a free shopping trip with my wife is an oxymoron. we land at 7:40am and depart at 9:00pm by the way

Don't under estimate how tired you may be after the flight, some of the suggestions may be a bit ambitious, it's not how long an excursion lasts, but how comfortable you feel as it gets near to your flight time.:swoon:

You should have time to do the morning Singapore experience free bus trip, then I would suggest booking the family into the airport pool, they have sun loungers were you can catch a few Zzz or if your family feel tired the hotel room may be the best bet. :SLEEP:

Look out for the free massage near the entrance to the swimming pool, good for tired bones.

We have done 3 day stop overs, 1 night stop over and 6 hour stop overs and they were all great, Heathrow it ain't.

Guest GillianM

Hi, going to book flights soon with singapore airlines, and was looking into getting a 24 hr stopover. Do i need to arrange or book a hotel for the night seperately then? and where shall i book and are hotels expensive? I take it you dont take all your cases with you? I phoned up SA but i couldn't understand girl on the phone.

Gillian

Spent some time in Singapore on the way back to London from Adelaide one time. I must say the people seem nice and all the rest of it but to be honest with you if it's later in the evening/night it's pretty humid and dark and the most you'll get is some of the markets in the city centre...

I think that the airport is perfectly adequate and pretty stunning and I'd just stay there. :cute:

Hi, going to book flights soon with singapore airlines, and was looking into getting a 24 hr stopover. Do i need to arrange or book a hotel for the night seperately then? and where shall i book and are hotels expensive? I take it you dont take all your cases with you? I phoned up SA but i couldn't understand girl on the phone.

Gillian

Travel agent?

Gillian

hello gillian there is a link on the SA website where you can add a stopover to your flight booking at quite reasonable prices. on the phonecall issue we found if you ring the the general SA number the operators are a bit hit and miss but if you look up the local area numbers (we used the manchester number ) you stand a better chance of comprehension.

Archived