We Have Visited Tangalooma, Moreton Island, At Last!!

sykestykes

We have often sat on the beach at Bribie and looked at the faraway land in the distance that is Moreton Island - we never thought in a million years our tiny little old boat would get us there, though. But she did - yesterday's weather and tide conditions were as perfect as they were ever going to be for a reccie over there, so off we went.

We had a picnic on the beach, the kids and hubby snorkelled off the Tangalooma Wrecks (for the uninitiated, these are old boats that have been placed off shore in order to encourage coral to grow, which it is doing very well) and we generally had a fine old time. The water is the most gorgeous green-blue and you can see the fish swimming under the surface, it's so clear. Truly stunning.

If anyone gets the chance to go, please do...it's beautiful and really deserves a look. I've posted some pics that I took on my profile so you can have a peek if you like ...thank you "Marie" for getting us there:wubclub:

Sue x

Guest siamsusie
We have often sat on the beach at Bribie and looked at the faraway land in the distance that is Moreton Island - we never thought in a million years our tiny little old boat would get us there, though. But she did - yesterday's weather and tide conditions were as perfect as they were ever going to be for a reccie over there, so off we went.

We had a picnic on the beach, the kids and hubby snorkelled off the Tangalooma Wrecks (for the uninitiated, these are old boats that have been placed off shore in order to encourage coral to grow, which it is doing very well) and we generally had a fine old time. The water is the most gorgeous green-blue and you can see the fish swimming under the surface, it's so clear. Truly stunning.

If anyone gets the chance to go, please do...it's beautiful and really deserves a look. I've posted some pics that I took on my profile so you can have a peek if you like ...thank you "Marie" for getting us there:wubclub:

Sue x

Sounds really wonderful Sue, loved your pictures btw. So good to see the coral regrowth happening. Well done Marie:notworthy: Susie

Sounds gorgeous! What size boat do you have? We are just starting to talk about having a boat, so it would be interesting to know what size we'd need to get us out and about!

love

Rudi

x

Guest siamsusie
Thanks Susie, I know Bobj will be well proud of Marie too for making it across open sea to get there...either that or he'll think we have really lost our marbles

Sue x

:twitcy::twitcy:Bob will crack up, but he is a man to take risks, so I am sure he will be proud of you Sue. :hug:

Sounds gorgeous! What size boat do you have? We are just starting to talk about having a boat, so it would be interesting to know what size we'd need to get us out and about!

love

Rudi

x

Hi Rudi

She's only teeny weeny (4.2 metres) and she fits inside the garage when not in use :laugh:

I love that boat, she was cheap as chips and needed a bit of TLC as she's getting on a bit, but we get such alot of fun out of using her.

Sue x

Guest Benchola

We're relocating to Brisbane at the end of July.

Moreton Island is already on our 'Bucket' List!

Sue - where are your pictures? Had a look at your album but couldn't find them.

We're relocating to Brisbane at the end of July.

Moreton Island is already on our 'Bucket' List!

Sue - where are your pictures? Had a look at your album but couldn't find them.

They're in the "In And Around Australia" album, Benchola - the other one only has room for Gorgeous George in it :laugh: Not sure why you can't view them though :sad: ... all my albums are set to let registered users see them :wubclub:

Sue x

It's great there...are you thinking about staying overnight and feeding the dolphins?

I would love to do that next time we go there. We have been lucky enough to see dolphins really close up on Bribie and I would love the chance to interact with them :wubclub:

Sue x

Thanks Susie, I know Bobj will be well proud of Marie too for making it across open sea to get there...either that or he'll think we have really lost our marbles :laugh:

Sue x

Didja take the fishing gear??? A very good achievement, well done.icon14.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Didja take the fishing gear??? A very good achievement, well done.icon14.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Well it would be rude not to have taken the fishing gear Bob, wouldn't it :wink:

We had to use a chicken schnitzel and a pie for bait cos we forgot to get some proper stuff lmao ... I can confirm that fish will bite on a piece of pie :biggrin:

sue x

Hi Sue

Glad you finally made it to Tangalooma! As you know we loved it when we were over there in February.

Would highly recommend staying overnight and feeding the dolphins - I believe its included in the price with most/all of the accommodation and you can pay for the photos afterwards. You aren't allowed to touch the dolphins at all, but we fed them about 5 fish each - it was great! What I would say though, is to wear swimwear! I'd fed them in 2003 and went into the water high above my knees - this time both me & Mother-in-law looked like we were in for a wet t-shirt competition, lol!

Mandy x

Good to hear from you Mandy! Has there been any progress for you or are things still the same hun xx

Sue x

No news on the visa front Sue - DIAC completely messed up our plans on 23 September! Mark has 6 weeks left in RAF so got to get on with our lives in the UK. Looking into 'Plan B' of moving back to Norfolk at present. We all went down there last weekend and although its not quite Bribie, we still loved being close to the beach again. Will let you know.

Mandy x

• 2 weeks later...

You can go on a day trip to Moreton Island and it is well worth catching the late ferry back so you dont have to stay the night to feed the dolphins. The reef with the boats is excellent so take snorkel and flippers (whihc we didnt have) but it is like Finding Nemo and stunningly beautiful. I'd recommend the sand toboganning and it is great fun but very tiring climbing back up the dunes. You might even win a t shirt for going the farthest distance (for once being chunky helped!!!)

Guest guest30038

Glad you enjoyed it Sue.............you've got me wishing that I hadn't sold the boat :cry:

Further north, there's Curtin Artificial reef that holds some monsters (including 3 of my anchors) :biglaugh:if you want to drop a line.

curtin.jpg

kev

Would our dinky boat be okay up there do you think, Kev? I'd love a bigger boat but there's no chance of that just yet :cry: I keep dreaming of a nice Bayliner Capri, I could just see myself on one of those, oh yes!

What did you go and sell your boat for, we could have had a forum trip over there!! :cute:

Sue x

Is there anywhere up there where you can swim or see dugongs?

Not too sure about Moreton Kate, but we were lucky enough to see a dugong on the Pumicestone Passage alongside Bribue the other day. There are dugong breeding grounds in the passage that you're not allowed to approach and they're quite shy so we really were fortunate to see it.

We see turtles and dolphins alot out there too.

Sue x

Guest guest30038
Would our dinky boat be okay up there do you think, Kev? I'd love a bigger boat but there's no chance of that just yet :cry: I keep dreaming of a nice Bayliner Capri, I could just see myself on one of those, oh yes!

What did you go and sell your boat for, we could have had a forum trip over there!! :cute:

Sue x

Pick your days and you'd be fine. Winter's best as there's less onshore breezes which are formed by the heat. Some folk go over on the ferry towing their tinnies and launch from the beach as the reef is only about 500metres offshore.

My rig wasn't getting the use that I hoped for Sue. Bridget won't let me go on my own since the by-pass and I guess she's right. Might buy a littl tinny though for pottering around in the river..............I miss me feast of freshly caught mud crab. :cry:

kev

Archived