Do Australians like Animals??

Emma2

We are planning on going to Queensland (Brisbane/Gold Coast) for 6-12 months and stay if we like it but I am a bit concerned that the Australians don't seem to be pet lovers? It is just the impression I'm getting from reading all the forums.

We have 2 dogs who I would get flown out to us if we decided to stay permanently in Oz (parents are going to look after them in the mean time). But I don't want to feel like an outcast because my dogs are barking or not be able to walk them anywhere.

I am a huge animal lover and will have to leave behind my chickens, guinea pigs, elderly cats and elderly horse. I would hate to live in a place where I felt like I was upsetting people by having animals. Any advise or words of wisdom??

Maybe I'm just getting cold feet!??

Emma :eek:

We are planning on going to Queensland (Brisbane/Gold Coast) for 6-12 months and stay if we like it but I am a bit concerned that the Australians don't seem to be pet lovers? It is just the impression I'm getting from reading all the forums.

We have 2 dogs who I would get flown out to us if we decided to stay permanently in Oz (parents are going to look after them in the mean time). But I don't want to feel like an outcast because my dogs are barking or not be able to walk them anywhere.

I am a huge animal lover and will have to leave behind my chickens, guinea pigs, elderly cats and elderly horse. I would hate to live in a place where I felt like I was upsetting people by having animals. Any advise or words of wisdom??

Hi Emma, Its not that Australians dont like animals, it is just harder getting somewhere to rent with Animals,

Hi Emma

The incidence of pet ownership in Australia is one of the highest in the world, with an estimated 63% of Australia's 6.6 million households owning some kind of pet (53% owning a cat or dog).

Until a few months ago, I used to run a pet sitting, dog walking company in Melbourne and from my experience, Australia is definitely a nature of pet lovers.

In Melbourne there's many off leash parks / beaches for dog walking and I'd imagine that would be similar in Brisbane.

It's not been my impression that Aussies don't like animals, however, I do know that there are restrictions with regard to the number of dogs you can have, or that cats have to remain indoors (in some areas).

Ali

Guest chris955

Being involved with native wildlife as I am I get the impression many people love their cats and dogs but have far less love for many native animals. Snakes are fair game and should be killed and the same seems to apply to animals seen as pests, possums etc.

I even saw one member on here suggesting that another member ask farmers for permission to go onto their land to shoot kangaroos.

Pets are seen as being very different to wild animals.

Being involved with native wildlife as I am I get the impression many people love their cats and dogs but have far less love for many native animals. Snakes are fair game and should be killed and the same seems to apply to animals seen as pests, possums etc.

I even saw one member on here suggesting that another member ask farmers for permission to go onto their land to shoot kangaroos.

Pets are seen as being very different to wild animals.

would you not think it was better for the animal to be shot than starve to death due to no feed or water?

Guest chris955

What on earth has that to do with anything ? It was never mentioned that the kangaroos were in plague proportions or there wasn't enough feed for them.

What on earth has that to do with anything ? It was never mentioned that the kangaroos were in plague proportions or there wasn't enough feed for them.

Thats right just this, like its a national pass time

Lets just put your comments into context to be fair and balanced.............:wubclub:

[ Snakes are fair game and should be killed

Once again lets put it into context....... Anyone that has anything to do with snakes would know to leave them alone, wildlife agencies & government dont want the snakes being killed, it's the everyday person who is frightened of them, frightened of being bit and would rather see it dead than them........ They dont treat it as pass time do they?

Lets tell the whole truth Chris not just a part of it...... :cute:

Guest Guest31881

Hi Emma,

I live opposite a beach that dogs are allowed on, there are plenty of dog owners who come down here to exersice their pets. i think you will find that Australia is like the UK in the respect that they are a nation of animal lovers, and especially dog owners.

Guest chris955

Yes I don't think you will find much difference as far the numbers of dog (and unfortunately cat) ownership.

The people I know all love animals, wild and domestic. We used to have three dogs and three cats, but are down to two cats now as they are not so tying as dogs if we want to go away.

In Victoria, cats have to be confined to a person's property 24 hours a day and in the house at night. They also have to be registered and microchipped. To register they have to be desexed as well.

Dogs are never seen on the streets here, the rangers are very strict my oh and I were just discussing how different it is not to years ago when dogs wondered around all over the place.

In the summer months dogs are not allowed on the beach except at certain hours, before beach goers get there and in the late evening when they have left, you cannot take the dog to the beach with you for the day.

Its forbidden to kill snakes and possums they are protected as are all other native animals.

There are a lot of wild pigs here, wild deer, wild horses, donkeys, camels which have to be culled from time to time, the pigs are vicious.

Guest chris955

Yes it is illegal to kill snakes and other native animals, I can't recall a single instance where anyone has been prosecuted for killing a snake.

The list of animals you gave are feral and should be culled at whenever possible. Pigs are probably the worst pest in the country.

Hi

I agree with the other posters ,pets are as a popular here as they are in the UK.It does narrow your choices when you come to rent property but it doesn't make it impossible.If you do bring any pets ,bring references off people who have looked after them, this can help when applying for rental houses.

The rules are a little different in that you cant have a rabbit as a pet in Brisbane as they are classed as vermin over here. Most councils allow you to keep 2 dogs which must be registered with them, if you want to keep more you have to apply for an licence. Cats are supposed to be kept on your property and not allowed to roam.You can keep a horse if your land size is over a certain square mtr, were we are its 2 acres(8000sq mtr).

Hope this helps a bit and good luck with your plans

Cal x

Guest Skerly

I have lived in Oz for 4.5 years and never come across any notions that Aussies dislike animals.

Sure, I've heard some repulsive stories of bogans hanging cats from a rope on a bridge (read that recently about some scumbags in Victoria) or some bloke in Queensland torturing a family dog, drowning kittens etc etc... It happens here but it happens in other countries too. The people who do this should be shot... but that's an argument for another day..

I have two cats which I bought from the RSPCA in Melbourne 4 years ago, they told me at the time they had to be kept as indoor cats at night by law, but also proposed and supported the idea of keeping them as indoor cats 100% of the time. I thought this was a really bizarre and somewhat mean notion but this prolongs their lives and I was assured by vets and animal welfare officials, doing this takes nothing away from the quality of their lives. In fairness when I lived back home in Dublin, every outdoor cat I had seemed to go missing after about 5 or 6 years...

To the OP, you'll have to have your dogs micro-chipped and registered. And on the contrary to what you have read most people here from what I have experienced, are pet mad..

Out of interest and pure curiosity, what are you doing with all the animals you are leaving behind?

I think the impression of pet unfriendliness stems from the fact that the majority of those moving out here are families who own their own houses and don’t remember what it’s like to rent a property with all the palaver of finding somewhere that’ll accept the family dog / cat / guinea pig.....

It's not been my impression that Aussies don't like animals, however, I do know that there are restrictions with regard to the number of dogs you can have, or that cats have to remain indoors (in some areas).

Ali

UNless they have their zimmerframes lol

The people I know all love animals, wild and domestic. We used to have three dogs and three cats, but are down to two cats now as they are not so tying as dogs if we want to go away.

In Victoria, cats have to be confined to a person's property 24 hours a day and in the house at night. They also have to be registered and microchipped. To register they have to be desexed as well.

Dogs are never seen on the streets here, the rangers are very strict my oh and I were just discussing how different it is not to years ago when dogs wondered around all over the place.

In the summer months dogs are not allowed on the beach except at certain hours, before beach goers get there and in the late evening when they have left, you cannot take the dog to the beach with you for the day.

Its forbidden to kill snakes and possums they are protected as are all other native animals.

There are a lot of wild pigs here, wild deer, wild horses, donkeys, camels which have to be culled from time to time, the pigs are vicious

Especially those with tasers

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Emma

Before starting out in the relocation business, I worked in the largest veterinary hospital in the Southern Hemisphere we treated over 100,000 animals per year this is just in Melbourne, so there are lots of pet lovers out there, so please don't worry.:wubclub:

Yes, there are legislations out there and the Domestic (Feral and Nuisance) Animals Act 1994 is there to protect the pets in our care. One of the rules that the councils have is to have a maximum number of pets you can keep on your property ie 2 cats and 2 dogs. This is a great rule IMHO and stops back yard breeders and animal hoarders who keep these pets in terrible conditions.

Yes most councils also have restrictions and cat curfews, believe me this is in the best interests of the cat and the native wildlife. An indoor cat's life span is twice that of an outdoor cat.

There are plenty of off leash parks around and pet friendly beaches so your dogs will be fine. Yes if they bark constantly then you may end up with the neighbours complaining to the council but then this is no different to the UK.

The only notable thing I have found with dog owners over here and that is most Australians keep their dogs outdoors, rather than having them sharing the couch and bed.

Kate:hug:

ive been thinking the same after reading many posts that dogs are not allowed in alot of areas ,dogs are aloud off leash in all the parks where i live in the uk and i enjoy taking my dogs for country walks but i do get the same impression that australia is not as doggie friendly as the uk. i will still be taking them with me though as i couldnt bare to leave them behind and hope its not as hard to find accomodation as think its going to be

Guest HappyTravels

Australains definatly have a different attitude when it comes to animals. Its very common to have a pet dog - but that doesnt mean that the animal is treated as a member of the family, as it would be in the UK.

For example most people keep their dogs outside all day, will only walk them at weekends - if that! and its still the norm to buy a dog from the pet store attached to the supermarket!

Having said that if you do your research and find dog friendly beaches and parks there is no reason why you cant enjoy your animals as you have before.

I have lived in Oz for 4.5 years and never come across any notions that Aussies dislike animals. ......

Out of interest and pure curiosity, what are you doing with all the animals you are leaving behind?

Thanks to all for your help and reassurance. My parents are going to move into our house and care for all of the animals whilst we're away and if we decide to stay then they will keep them. The ones being left behind are quite old so it would not be fair to move them. And you can't take chickens and guinea pigs unfortunately!

Emma x

Is it a nother jollyday do we stop for 6 months , you either emigrate or dont get agrip or are you so minted it does not matter

Archived