Do Australians like Animals??

Emma2

Australains definatly have a different attitude when it comes to animals. Its very common to have a pet dog - but that doesnt mean that the animal is treated as a member of the family, as it would be in the UK.

For example most people keep their dogs outside all day, will only walk them at weekends - if that! and its still the norm to buy a dog from the pet store attached to the supermarket!

And why do you have to walk your dog every day???????? Which areas do you think its the norm to buy dogs from the pet store attached to the supermarket?

Guest HappyTravels

And why do you have to walk your dog every day???????? Which areas do you think its the norm to buy dogs from the pet store attached to the supermarket?

I hope you are being sarcastic or dont have a dog.

I hope you are being sarcastic or dont have a dog.

I do have dogs back in Australia, that were'nt bought from pet stores. I also have a lot of friends back home as well who havent bought their dogs from pet stores either. I also have lots of friends that dont walk their dogs everyday because the dogs get plenty of exercise in their backyards. In fact we didnt and dont walk our dog that often as the have a large backyard to run around in. we have had 8 dogs over the last 30 odd years and none have come from pet stores or were walked that often.

some people on this forum post absolute dribble sorry ! aussies and i am now one have a great relationship with their dogs and pets. There are a lot of native animals that pet cats and dogs can do a lot of harm to and that is why rules have been made up to protect them. I would say that a lot more dogs are "working " type dogs over here and as such are treated as such. Dogs are Dogs and people are people - Dogs don't sleep in your bed your partner does :) To say aussies dont like their pets is rubbish and also i agree with wakeboard a lot of people that have large blocks probably dont need to walk their dogs every day because of the exercise they get in their day to day activities.

The original question is probably caused by those that think Kangaroos still bounce down the high street

Is it a nother jollyday do we stop for 6 months , you either emigrate or dont get agrip or are you so minted it does not matter

I'm not sure what this has to do with my question and why you feel the need to be rude?

Guest Ravenswood

Hi Emma,

Having lived in both places a fair bit, I think there is very little difference between peoples feeling for animals in both places. One think that I did notice was a difference is that I quite often saw owner’s pets in pubs and food places in the UK that is not allowed in OZ.

One think to check though I think quarantine for pets is quite a long time.

Mark

Guest ajburnet

Hi,

I have just emigrated to Melbourne with my Aussie born partner and our two dogs (a lab and an English Pointer), previously having lived in Richmond, Surrey.

Having travelled the UK, Ireland and the continent for some time before we hopped over here I can honestly say that whilst Australians are indeed animal friendly it is far more limited than the UK and Europe in terms of places you can take them.

There are a good number of off lead parks in Melbourne but also a significant number of on lead only parks. If you have energetic dogs such as ours it can be disappointing. All national parks usually do not allow dog access (apart from passing through with the animal in your vehicle). There may be the odd exception but that is the general rule. Some local reserves will allow dogs provided they are on leads. Having travelled in a motorhome throughout Europe we never came across the level of restrictions in regards to dogs that we have here. Whilst there are good reasons for it here (the delicate nature of the ecosystem being the prime one I think) the Australian method of control seems to focus upon excessive regulation rather than education (not sure the UK isn't going more down this road too). To some extent I understand the Australian attitude as I've noticed people rarely pick up their dog's faeces for example. Hopefully that will improve in time!

You will also have to register your dogs in most places and pay your local council an annual registration. This is to ensure your dogs are microchipped and to fund the provision of poo bags and the like in local parks.

I would say - don't worry! You can't take your dogs everywhere like you pretty much can in the UK and Europe, but there are places to take them. It is a little frustrating as you have to always remember to check what restrictions are in place first and bear that more in mind when you find somewhere to live. Also, you will not find local byways and an abundance of places to take your animals for walks in the same way but it will likely rain less so you'll have more opportunities to explore and find places!!

Renting with animals is absolutely more difficult so bear that in mind! We found it very hard to find short term accommodation with our dogs whilst we were house hunting (most people do this while their dogs are in quarantine though) and we were lucky finding the place we did. The rental market here is very competitive and you will find 30 people at the open inspections trying to get good properties. Having dogs just means you need to be extra prepared (we even had dog resumes!) and be prepared to pay a higher bond and slightly more a week if necessary. I suspect the further you are out of town the less of a problem that will be.

Hope that helps.

Alex.

Guest ajburnet

and the other post is correct, we never see pubs and the like with dogs in them, although we do see cafes with people and their dogs outside...

Hi,

I have just emigrated to Melbourne with my Aussie born partner and our two dogs (a lab and an English Pointer), previously having lived in Richmond, Surrey.

Having travelled the UK, Ireland and the continent for some time before we hopped over here I can honestly say that whilst Australians are indeed animal friendly it is far more limited than the UK and Europe in terms of places you can take them.

There are a good number of off lead parks in Melbourne but also a significant number of on lead only parks. If you have energetic dogs such as ours it can be disappointing. All national parks usually do not allow dog access (apart from passing through with the animal in your vehicle). There may be the odd exception but that is the general rule. Some local reserves will allow dogs provided they are on leads. Having travelled in a motorhome throughout Europe we never came across the level of restrictions in regards to dogs that we have here. Whilst there are good reasons for it here (the delicate nature of the ecosystem being the prime one I think) the Australian method of control seems to focus upon excessive regulation rather than education (not sure the UK isn't going more down this road too). To some extent I understand the Australian attitude as I've noticed people rarely pick up their dog's faeces for example. Hopefully that will improve in time!

You will also have to register your dogs in most places and pay your local council an annual registration. This is to ensure your dogs are microchipped and to fund the provision of poo bags and the like in local parks.

I would say - don't worry! You can't take your dogs everywhere like you pretty much can in the UK and Europe, but there are places to take them. It is a little frustrating as you have to always remember to check what restrictions are in place first and bear that more in mind when you find somewhere to live. Also, you will not find local byways and an abundance of places to take your animals for walks in the same way but it will likely rain less so you'll have more opportunities to explore and find places!!

Renting with animals is absolutely more difficult so bear that in mind! We found it very hard to find short term accommodation with our dogs whilst we were house hunting (most people do this while their dogs are in quarantine though) and we were lucky finding the place we did. The rental market here is very competitive and you will find 30 people at the open inspections trying to get good properties. Having dogs just means you need to be extra prepared (we even had dog resumes!) and be prepared to pay a higher bond and slightly more a week if necessary. I suspect the further you are out of town the less of a problem that will be.

Hope that helps.

Alex.

Thanks Alex, that does really help. We also have two lively dogs who prefer to be off the lead but, as you mentioned, the UK is also starting to put a lot more restrictions in place. We live near to Dartmoor and from 1st March until 31st July all dogs now have to be kept on leads because of the lambing season and birds nesting. I guess you just get to know the places that are ok for dogs and take them there.

Thanks again for your reassurance, it does help a lot! And thanks to everyone else as well. :hug:

Archived