MINING JOBS WA - the truth

Guest karldyble

Guest siamsusie
Hi BB,

thanks for your quick reply. I don`t think that I can provide A&E experience (it certainly means emergency experience, doesn`t it). But maybe I can do a course.

All the best for ya in the land down under.

Australia Mining Nurse and Mine Employment some FIFO positions there if you do some research cheers susie:wubclub:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Australia Mining Nurse and Mine Employment some FIFO positions there if you do some research cheers susie:wubclub:

Thought so SS ,thats Hogan Mining ,an agency they want you to shell out a couple of hundred bucks so they can tell you of the jobs available , OH was thinkin about it , the ANF (nursing fed) officer told her most jobs were locally based and not many if any fifo `s ,we checked Hogans mining and they want your bucks

Guest siamsusie

Thought so SS ,thats Hogan Mining ,an agency they want you to shell out a couple of hundred bucks so they can tell you of the jobs available , OH was thinkin about it , the ANF (nursing fed) officer told her most jobs were locally based and not many if any fifo `s ,we checked Hogans mining and they want your bucks
It's always about the last dollar isnt it:mad: Mally! Oh well, it just a thought, thanks Mally Susie:wubclub:

Guest karldyble

Although in my initial post advised against paying anyone for information or services regarding getting a mining job, I suppose it's all relative. You can pay $1200 for you HR, $100 for learners permit, $350 driving course, $180 first aid and countless other dollars and time in job searching activity. Therefore it might be acceptable to pay one of these parasites $240 (I think that's what they want), IF!!! it gets you a job??

Be prepared for it to come to nothing though. You won't be dissapointed that way.

Anyone have any experience of Hogan Mining?? Wouldn't use it myself but if it gives you the edge, maybe it's worth it. Your money, your gamble.

Talking of parasites, look at the amount of mining related websites advertising on this page alone!! All of them want your money. Tread carefully, I say.

Guest Bill_er_Bong
Although in my initial post advised against paying anyone for information or services regarding getting a mining job, I suppose it's all relative. You can pay $1200 for you HR, $100 for learners permit, $350 driving course, $180 first aid and countless other dollars and time in job searching activity. Therefore it might be acceptable to pay one of these parasites $240 (I think that's what they want), IF!!! it gets you a job??

Be prepared for it to come to nothing though. You won't be dissapointed that way.

Anyone have any experience of Hogan Mining?? Wouldn't use it myself but if it gives you the edge, maybe it's worth it. Your money, your gamble.

Talking of parasites, look at the amount of mining related websites advertising on this page alone!! All of them want your money. Tread carefully, I say.

Dunno about Hogan Mining, but I've seen the Hogan Oil site and to be honest, it just looks like a scam to me.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest fusion

hi i interested in moving to oz and working as a truck driver in the mines i am from the uk but currently live in thailand i have read your post about what to get to help get a job but if i do the courses you have mentioned do you think i will meet people who work in mines to help get a foot in as i have been looking on the net but can only seem to find the sites with the books could you let me know of any ways or companies i could approach any help would be really appreciated thanks.

john

Guest siamsusie
hi i interested in moving to oz and working as a truck driver in the mines i am from the uk but currently live in thailand i have read your post about what to get to help get a job but if i do the courses you have mentioned do you think i will meet people who work in mines to help get a foot in as i have been looking on the net but can only seem to find the sites with the books could you let me know of any ways or companies i could approach any help would be really appreciated thanks.

john

Hi there John, I have sent you a pm. and also do you hold an Australian visa?

• 1 month later...
Guest The Lost Ryder
Hi all,

anyone either living in WA or migrating to WA will have heard someone say 'You want to get yourself into the mines, tons of money in that.'

There is tons of money to be earned but it's not easy to get into and there are plenty of people willing to "take" your money in order to help you.

Below is a checklist of things you will need to get a job in the mining industry.

1. Experience, if you have this it will be easy.

2. A mate or someone you know currently working in the industry.

3. A HR licence (Heavy rigid truck - road ranger gear box). This will cost about $1000 to $1200 to get and the courses are very booked up so book early!! Best place is Keen Brothers in Maddington. You need to get a learners permit first from the licencing centre costs about $100 all in. 17 questions, learn them parrot fashion and do a multiple choice test at the licencing centre.

4. An Australian senior first AID certificate. Takes 2 days and can be done through the St Johns Ambulance. Based in Belmont

5. A defensive driving 4X4 (4 wheel drive) course and maybe a 4X4 drive and recover course. Best company Eureka 4WD training based in Armadale.

6. Be willing to be away from home and work very long hours doing monotonous work in nearly 50 degrees amongst flies dust and crap.

7. A blue card. Costs $80 and you can do it online while looking at the manual at the same time, need about 90% to pass. Good co, frontline tests, find them online.

Still want to do it??

DO NOT pay $3000 for a dump truck drivers course. I have it first hand from recruitment consultants that even of you have done this course but have no experience you will not even be considered. You will have wasted $3000. Don't pay hundreds of dollars to web ads telling you that they have a manual that can get you a job in the mines. Mostly it's BS!!

Now is the time to try as the pool of experienced staff is drying up and companies are looking for 'greenies'. Do it now and get organised before the whole world cottons on to the fact that the boom is back. You will go in at low level, earn less but once you are in, you are in and then you have choices. Don't bother with the recruitment agencies unless they specifically state 'No Experience Needed'. They won't waste their time on you. Do your research, if you know someone in WA ask them if they know anyone who works in mining, get their bosses number, call them, get more numbers, call them. Know your stuff, they will get hundreds of calls a day of idiots who think they can just walk into a $120'000 a year job. Stand out from the rest. Contact the drilling companies direct, contact the operating companies and not the mine owners.

It''s a hard slog but it can be done. If you are serious get your HR licence, First Aid and 4x4 courses done and then ring the right people. Be prepared and you may get a chance.

Good luck.

Why am I doing this?? Because I've been through it and just got myself a job. If ican help someone else get one too then why not. That's what it's all about isn't it??

Well said mate. I'll be heading out to Oz soon on a holiday visa to seek my fortune.

I've a background in the Offshore Oil and Gas industry doing construction work.

I'm sending out Resumes to all but would really appreciate some insider advice.

Now I now a contact who is working in the mining industry in Kalgoorlie so that ought to be a help BUT I don't have my HGV ticket alas.

I've emailed this company who say they are taking on Trainee truck drivers.

I really can't find a list of mining companies apart from the heavy hitters like Kalgold.

Karl, I'm sending you a PM mate.

Guest karldyble

Hi,

if you have a construction slant to your experience try BGC www.bgc.cc they are a huge company that mainly do mine construction. There's a big job on at Cape Preston near Karratha called the Sino iron Ore run by Citi Pacific Mining, it's a Chinese Co. Construction is generally 4 weeks on and 1 week off and is hot and dull but very well paid. You should take home at least $10'000 a month, works out about 72'000 pounds take home a year for low level staff, so not bad but it is boring and full of brain donors.

Mining is more like 2 on and 1 off and as a result tend to get paid a little less if you're gouing in at a low level. Like anything, the better the job and experience the more you'll get paid. For mining jobs try www.seek.com.au and select oil gas and mining. You really have to dig around to find the names of companies to contact directly but they are there somewhere. Can you answer yes to the following questions??? Have you got two years or more direct experience in the mining, oil or gas industry? Have you got references to prove it? Have you got a HR license? (you will get one over here so this is a yes). If all these are yes then send your CV to all the recruitment companies and let them do the work for you. If you can't answer yes to all of these then forget about the recruitment companies as they won't touch you.

On the subject of getting a HGV or HR (Heavy Rigid) over here, there's a company in Maddington near Perth, they also have a site in Bunbury. They're called Keen Brothers, www.keenbros.com.au you can do your HR over a few days but you need to get a learners permit first from the licencing office (see keen bros website) and may need a WA licence too. All of this can be got in one go at the licencing centre but you need to p[ass the short theory test first. It's easy, 17 questions and they ask you 10. Best to do the HR over a few days and it'll cost about $1500. Book it early as they are very busy. Prob best to do it over here as the aussies are a bit twitchy about accepting UK qualifications etc, they can charge more this way!! They won't even accept a UK St Johns Ambulance 1st Aid course, you have to do an Aussie St Johns Ambulance 1st Aid course, last time i checked a body was a body no matter where you lived. Ask yourself do you really want to be a truck driver? 12 hours a day back and forth, back and forth, lonely old job and not massively well paid, most people are lucky if they manage 6 months. You still need your HR though even to get up on a mining site as a non driver.

There's also Barrow Island and the Gorgon project, if you have offshore experience in oil and gas, just google them and you'll find plenty of info. This will be a popular search and it will have polenty of ads telling you how you can get a job up there with no experience but remember don't pay anyone to find you a job!!!

Just a note of caution but the Australian government has cottoned on to the recent mining boom and has decided it wants a share in the form of more tax. Some mining co's have said that they will have to cancel new projects if the tax hike goes ahead. This may be just the mining co's crying to get attention and threatening but it also might be true so just be wary that there is always a possibility of another slack period so have a plan B. Are you moving to Perth? when do you arrive?

Thanks.

Karl.

Hi all,

anyone either living in WA or migrating to WA will have heard someone say 'You want to get yourself into the mines, tons of money in that.'

There is tons of money to be earned but it's not easy to get into and there are plenty of people willing to "take" your money in order to help you.

Below is a checklist of things you will need to get a job in the mining industry.

3. A HR licence (Heavy rigid truck - road ranger gear box). This will cost about $1000 to $1200 to get and the courses are very booked up so book early!! Best place is Keen Brothers in Maddington. You need to get a learners permit first from the licencing centre costs about $100 all in. 17 questions, learn them parrot fashion and do a multiple choice test at the licencing centre.

4. An Australian senior first AID certificate. Takes 2 days and can be done through the St Johns Ambulance. Based in Belmont

5. A defensive driving 4X4 (4 wheel drive) course and maybe a 4X4 drive and recover course. Best company Eureka 4WD training based in Armadale.

6. Be willing to be away from home and work very long hours doing monotonous work in nearly 50 degrees amongst flies dust and crap.

7. A blue card. Costs $80 and you can do it online while looking at the manual at the same time, need about 90% to pass. Good co, frontline tests, find them online.

Still want to do it??

DO NOT pay $3000 for a dump truck drivers course. I have it first hand from recruitment consultants that even of you have done this course but have no experience you will not even be considered. You will have wasted $3000. Don't pay hundreds of dollars to web ads telling you that they have a manual that can get you a job in the mines. Mostly it's BS!!

Now is the time to try as the pool of experienced staff is drying up and companies are looking for 'greenies'. Do it now and get organised before the whole world cottons on to the fact that the boom is back. You will go in at low level, earn less but once you are in, you are in and then you have choices. Don't bother with the recruitment agencies unless they specifically state 'No Experience Needed'. They won't waste their time on you. Do your research, if you know someone in WA ask them if they know anyone who works in mining, get their bosses number, call them, get more numbers, call them. Know your stuff, they will get hundreds of calls a day of idiots who think they can just walk into a $120'000 a year job. Stand out from the rest. Contact the drilling companies direct, contact the operating companies and not the mine owners.

It''s a hard slog but it can be done. If you are serious get your HR licence, First Aid and 4x4 courses done and then ring the right people. Be prepared and you may get a chance.

Good luck.

Why am I doing this?? Because I've been through it and just got myself a job. If ican help someone else get one too then why not. That's what it's all about isn't it??

The only bit of info i have .......i was speaking to my niece in WA ....she reckons her hubby is clearing $2k a week .

Spoke to my nephew in Queensland at the weekend .......he reckons Oz is getting very expensive ......food .....clothes .....etc

just thought i would share that with you :wink:

Guest The Lost Ryder
Hi,

if you have a construction slant to your experience try BGC www.bgc.cc they are a huge company that mainly do mine construction. There's a big job on at Cape Preston near Karratha called the Sino iron Ore run by Citi Pacific Mining, it's a Chinese Co. Construction is generally 4 weeks on and 1 week off and is hot and dull but very well paid. You should take home at least $10'000 a month, works out about 72'000 pounds take home a year for low level staff, so not bad but it is boring and full of brain donors.

Mining is more like 2 on and 1 off and as a result tend to get paid a little less if you're gouing in at a low level. Like anything, the better the job and experience the more you'll get paid. For mining jobs try www.seek.com.au and select oil gas and mining. You really have to dig around to find the names of companies to contact directly but they are there somewhere. Can you answer yes to the following questions??? Have you got two years or more direct experience in the mining, oil or gas industry? Have you got references to prove it? Have you got a HR license? (you will get one over here so this is a yes). If all these are yes then send your CV to all the recruitment companies and let them do the work for you. If you can't answer yes to all of these then forget about the recruitment companies as they won't touch you.

On the subject of getting a HGV or HR (Heavy Rigid) over here, there's a company in Maddington near Perth, they also have a site in Bunbury. They're called Keen Brothers, www.keenbros.com.au you can do your HR over a few days but you need to get a learners permit first from the licencing office (see keen bros website) and may need a WA licence too. All of this can be got in one go at the licencing centre but you need to p[ass the short theory test first. It's easy, 17 questions and they ask you 10. Best to do the HR over a few days and it'll cost about $1500. Book it early as they are very busy. Prob best to do it over here as the aussies are a bit twitchy about accepting UK qualifications etc, they can charge more this way!! They won't even accept a UK St Johns Ambulance 1st Aid course, you have to do an Aussie St Johns Ambulance 1st Aid course, last time i checked a body was a body no matter where you lived. Ask yourself do you really want to be a truck driver? 12 hours a day back and forth, back and forth, lonely old job and not massively well paid, most people are lucky if they manage 6 months. You still need your HR though even to get up on a mining site as a non driver.

There's also Barrow Island and the Gorgon project, if you have offshore experience in oil and gas, just google them and you'll find plenty of info. This will be a popular search and it will have polenty of ads telling you how you can get a job up there with no experience but remember don't pay anyone to find you a job!!!

Just a note of caution but the Australian government has cottoned on to the recent mining boom and has decided it wants a share in the form of more tax. Some mining co's have said that they will have to cancel new projects if the tax hike goes ahead. This may be just the mining co's crying to get attention and threatening but it also might be true so just be wary that there is always a possibility of another slack period so have a plan B. Are you moving to Perth? when do you arrive?

Thanks.

Karl.

Hi mate.

I appreciate you replying to my posts mate.

I've not done enough posts to PM or I'd of PM'd you on this.

But basically I've just hit a big fcking wall mate.

According to the immigration people I'm too bloody old for the working-holiday visa!!! :(

At the ripe-young age of 32 I'm not eligable for the working-holiday visa!

I think even NZ isn't that bad!

The so-called contact of a contact I mentioned earlier has suddenly told me not to bother using the contacts name (it's his daughter)! He won't give a reason either. Maybe she's landed a firm in the **** and is in their bad books?

Either way I've lost that angle. It's amazing how things go from great and promising one minute to a complete disaster the next!

Anyway my options are:

1. Go out on a holiday visa and scout for work? Maybe get lucky and get a sponsorship? However I'm told on another forum that you can't get a sponsorship while in-country on a holiday visa!?

2. Speak to companies / Recruitment firms,agencies prior to arriving and see if any can take me on via the sponsorship method. I really can't see this working.

I've got some offshore work lined up for the UK sector though so that's some more exp. in the bag hopefully on the oil and gas dance at least.

Guest karldyble

you may have a prob with the visa thing, you need to be eligible to work in Oz for all these jobs, as for sponsorship, unless you're a senior geologist, engineer or some hard to find type it's unlikel;y they'll sponsor you. But i don't know your experience, ask your company at home if they have any dealings with mining co's over here?? sorry to be short but in a rush today.

good luck.

you may have a prob with the visa thing, you need to be eligible to work in Oz for all these jobs, as for sponsorship, unless you're a senior geologist, engineer or some hard to find type it's unlikel;y they'll sponsor you. But i don't know your experience, ask your company at home if they have any dealings with mining co's over here?? sorry to be short but in a rush today.

good luck.

Hi, i have my visa , just fancy a change in occupation and wondered about the rigs if it were possible , thanks for reply, Stevie

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest lilmizshav
hi all,

anyone either living in wa or migrating to wa will have heard someone say 'you want to get yourself into the mines, tons of money in that.'

there is tons of money to be earned but it's not easy to get into and there are plenty of people willing to "take" your money in order to help you.

3. A hr licence (heavy rigid truck - road ranger gear box). This will cost about $1000 to $1200 to get and the courses are very booked up so book early!! Best place is keen brothers in maddington. You need to get a learners permit first from the licencing centre costs about $100 all in. 17 questions, learn them parrot fashion and do a multiple choice test at the licencing centre.

4. An australian senior first aid certificate. Takes 2 days and can be done through the st johns ambulance. Based in belmont

5. A defensive driving 4x4 (4 wheel drive) course and maybe a 4x4 drive and recover course. Best company eureka 4wd training based in armadale.

Still want to do it??

Do not pay $3000 for a dump truck drivers course. I have it first hand from recruitment consultants that even of you have done this course but have no experience you will not even be considered. You will have wasted $3000. Don't pay hundreds of dollars to web ads telling you that they have a manual that can get you a job in the mines. Mostly it's bs!!

Now is the time to try as the pool of experienced staff is drying up and companies are looking for 'greenies'. Do it now and get organised before the whole world cottons on to the fact that the boom is back. You will go in at low level, earn less but once you are in, you are in and then you have choices. Don't bother with the recruitment agencies unless they specifically state 'no experience needed'. They won't waste their time on you. Do your research, if you know someone in wa ask them if they know anyone who works in mining, get their bosses number, call them, get more numbers, call them. Know your stuff, they will get hundreds of calls a day of idiots who think they can just walk into a $120'000 a year job. Stand out from the rest. Contact the drilling companies direct, contact the operating companies and not the mine owners.

It''s a hard slog but it can be done. If you are serious get your hr licence, first aid and 4x4 courses done and then ring the right people. Be prepared and you may get a chance.

Good luck.

Why am i doing this?? Because i've been through it and just got myself a job. If ican help someone else get one too then why not. That's what it's all about isn't it??

please help.

I am 27 qualified builders of ten years. Family of four and really looking at getting int the mines!!

Im not getting anywhere submitting my cv online to these mining companies, im not getting any call backs nothing- and plus i still reside in new zealand...

Can you help me with any contacts that you could provide so we can get there??

I don't have any other licenses only a building trade, and full drivers license.

Do i need to get more to give me more of a chance to get into the mines?

Please help with all advice and info would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers

• 7 months later...

Great stack of info there, My family and me are in process of heading to WA and I have been told over and over again 'get yerself in the mines blah blah...' Reading through your info was really helpful and I'm still interested as it sounds pretty mad and my last job was as a fisherman on the Irish sea, so mad jobs are right up my street!! Anyway, just wanted to say a big thank you.

This post was in 2010. Since then the mining industry has gone into a major decline. People are being laid off daily. Three mines announced today significant redundancies. All of the major players have lots of projects being reviewed for redundancies or closure. Sorry, but I think from what you have said, your chances are zero. You are going to be competing against thousands of experienced staff looking for work.

please help.

I am 27 qualified builders of ten years. Family of four and really looking at getting int the mines!!

Im not getting anywhere submitting my cv online to these mining companies, im not getting any call backs nothing- and plus i still reside in new zealand...

Can you help me with any contacts that you could provide so we can get there??

I don't have any other licenses only a building trade, and full drivers license.

Do i need to get more to give me more of a chance to get into the mines?

Please help with all advice and info would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers

Great stack of info there, My family and me are in process of heading to WA and I have been told over and over again 'get yerself in the mines blah blah...' Reading through your info was really helpful and I'm still interested as it sounds pretty mad and my last job was as a fisherman on the Irish sea, so mad jobs are right up my street!! Anyway, just wanted to say a big thank you.

see my post below. Forget mining. The industry is in a major downturn.

This post was in 2010. Since then the mining industry has gone into a major decline. People are being laid off daily. Three mines announced today significant redundancies. All of the major players have lots of projects being reviewed for redundancies or closure. Sorry, but I think from what you have said, your chances are zero. You are going to be competing against thousands of experienced staff looking for work.

VS is correct in what he says

Your chances are zero

Guest The Pom Queen

As this is a 3 year old thread and the information is outdated I will close it now. Thank you to everyone for your comments.

Archived